The Other Side (402)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dinoman View Post
    Daniel is not diplomatic to his fellow team members. This was not his first time having direct confrontation with Jack in front of outsiders. Apparently Jack knows about this weakness of Daniel very well but that doesn't stop him from getting angry with Daniel, and the fact that Daniel was right in most cases annoyed Jack sometimes.
    In the middle of official negotiations? I honestly can't recall an episode prior to this when he did that.

I'm not saying that Daniel was wrong to question to Eurondans' motives or to question Jack's single-minded determination to get their technology, he was right on both counts. But by questioning his CO in the middle of official negotiations, Daniel exposed the internal team disagreement, which the Eurondans later capitalized on to further pressure Jack and the SGC to give them the heavy water.

Daniel wasn't being diplomatic period, not to his team and certainly not to the Eurondans. IMHO, he had his opinion and he was going to state it regardless of the time, place, or consequences. That makes him forthright, honest, and more than a little stubborn, but not a team player in this case, which was my main objection to his behavior in this episode.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by EvenstarSRV View Post
      In the middle of official negotiations? I honestly can't recall an episode prior to this when he did that.

I'm not saying that Daniel was wrong to question to Eurondans' motives or to question Jack's single-minded determination to get their technology, he was right on both counts. But by questioning his CO in the middle of official negotiations, Daniel exposed the internal team disagreement, which the Eurondans later capitalized on to further pressure Jack and the SGC to give them the heavy water.

Daniel wasn't being diplomatic period, not to his team and certainly not to the Eurondans. IMHO, he had his opinion and he was going to state it regardless of the time, place, or consequences. That makes him forthright, honest, and more than a little stubborn, but not a team player in this case, which was my main objection to his behavior in this episode.
      Well, there was no team play when Hammond and Jack tricked Daniel at the beginning, making him believe that that was an humanitarian mission...maybe if they told Daniel the truth...
      sigpic
      Sig made by slizzie1986

Comment

Originally posted by madaboutdanny View Post
        Well, there was no team play when Hammond and Jack tricked Daniel at the beginning, making him believe that that was an humanitarian mission...maybe if they told Daniel the truth...
        When did Hammond and Jack "trick" Daniel? In the beginning it was a humanitarian mission and SG-1's goal was to provide medical assistance/food and then offer to trade for technologies.

Jack and Hammond acted rashly when the weapons technology was offered, yes, but they in no way misrepresented what they were doing. EDIT: Not that I can recall.
        Originally posted by Callista
        Ahhh! Ashizuri can see into the future!!
        Originally posted by HPMom
        She saw the candle light as many things.

Comment

Well, I agree with Ashizuri, it was a humanitarian mission at first. But, since the SGC's standing orders are the acquisition of technology to help them fight the Goa'uld, then I'm sure the next step they take when making contact with advance civilizations is to offer to trade for that technology. They did much the same with the Tollan in Enigma.

Nobody tricked Daniel, unless he's somehow been unaware of the SGC's standing orders after 3+ years of being in the program, which I highly doubt for a man of his intelligence.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ashizuri View Post
            When did Hammond and Jack "trick" Daniel? In the beginning it was a humanitarian mission and SG-1's goal was to provide medical assistance/food and then offer to trade for technologies.

Jack and Hammond acted rashly when the weapons technology was offered, yes, but they in no way misrepresented what they were doing. EDIT: Not that I can recall.
            Originally posted by EvenstarSRV View Post
            Well, I agree with Ashizuri, it was a humanitarian mission at first. But, since the SGC's standing orders are the acquisition of technology to help them fight the Goa'uld, then I'm sure the next step they take when making contact with advance civilizations is to offer to trade for that technology. They did much the same with the Tollan in Enigma.

Nobody tricked Daniel, unless he's somehow been unaware of the SGC's standing orders after 3+ years of being in the program, which I highly doubt for a man of his intelligence.

Read the transcript, they waited for Daniel to leave before saying what was the first and foremost, I've bolded the lines, pourpose of the mission; better, watch the scene, it's clear!

[SG-1 and Hammond are in the briefing room. Daniel walks up to the table and sits down. O'Neill is distractedly drumming on the table.]

DANIEL
            I know it seems hopeless and I know there are a lot of unanswered questions but this is the first time that the descendants of Earth have actually called home. I mean either we try to do something or we let them die.
            [Daniel looks at Hammond.]

O'NEILL
            It's your call, sir.
            HAMMOND
            Colonel…
            DANIEL
            Now I already know what you're going to say but…
            HAMMOND
            …You have a go
            DANIEL
            …From a strictly humanitarian point of view…. What?
            [Daniel looks surprised at Hammond.]

HAMMOND
            We cannot and would not devote the resources to turn the tide of world war. However as Dr. Jackson points out there are humanitarian concerns. We'll start with all of the food and medical supplies you can take with you. Major, perhaps…
            CARTER
            We're on it, sir.
            [She gets up and leaves. Daniel and O'Neill also get up. Daniel looks confused and looks about to say something but leaves also.]

HAMMOND
            Colonel, humanitarian concerns aside, we may have finally met an advanced civilization willing to exchange technology to help us defend against the Goa'uld.
            O'NEILL
            My thoughts, sir.
            HAMMOND
            I've already talked to the President and Joint Chiefs. If the Eurondan government is open to trade you're authorized to negotiate.
            [O'Neill smiles and walks out.]
            sigpic
            Sig made by slizzie1986

Comment

Before that bolded line is said, Alar offers "many things in exchange" for their trust/help, meaning Daniel was in the room when the Eurondan's offered to trade/negotiate...so how does he not know that it's going to occur? Add to that, Daniel is in no way surprised/mad/offended when negotiations open, he only raises concerns when Jack offers something that will aid a war against an enemy they know nothing about. Daniel wasn't tricked.

The only trickery that occured in this episode was on the Eurondan's part.

Comment

Read the transcript, they waited for Daniel to leave before saying what was the first and foremost, I've bolded the lines, pourpose of the mission; better, watch the scene, it's clear!

<respectfully snipped for space>
                Well, as I said earlier, even though Daniel wasn't present for Jack and Hammond's conversation, I would think by now he'd be aware that whenever the SGC encounters an advance civilization, after taking care of any humanitarian or security concerns they usually try to trade for any useful technology they may have.

And for the purpose of the mission, Hammond made it clear that it was two-fold, provide humanitarian assistance, and then with the President's authorization, open negotiations for future trade. Given Daniel's knowledge of the SGC's standing orders, I'm sure he was already aware of that aspect of the mission, same for Sam even though she left the room with Daniel.

sigpic

Comment

One must not forget that Daniel joined SG1 as a civilian and an archeologist. He has his own issues and concerns and even he is aware of the standing order I doubt it would have any priority over his own interest.
                  sigpic
                  Sign by me

Comment

Originally posted by Dinoman View Post
                    One must not forget that Daniel joined SG1 as a civilian and an archeologist. He has his own issues and concerns and even he is aware of the standing order I doubt it would have any priority over his own interest.
                    I agree that's how he acted in this instance, he put his own personal opinions above other considerations including team cohesion during negotiations. I thought it was in-character for him to do it, but also a bad choice on his part to do it in that manner and place.

As a member of SG-1 and the SGC, part of Daniel's duty is to prioritize the interests of his team and the SGC above his own. Being a civilian and archaeologist does not excuse him from that responsibility, IMO.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ashizuri View Post
                      Before that bolded line is said, Alar offers "many things in exchange" for their trust/help, meaning Daniel was in the room when the Eurondan's offered to trade/negotiate...so how does he not know that it's going to occur? Add to that, Daniel is in no way surprised/mad/offended when negotiations open, he only raises concerns when Jack offers something that will aid a war against an enemy they know nothing about. Daniel wasn't tricked.

The only trickery that occured in this episode was on the Eurondan's part.
                      Then why they waited for Daniel to leave before discussing the real pourpose of the mission? And for what reason Daniel'd be mad/surprised/offended? He was so when he understood that the real mission wasn't humanitarian. But I have no problem with that because that worked for the plot and I like this ep just for that.
                      sigpic
                      Sig made by slizzie1986

Comment

Then why they waited for Daniel to leave before discussing the real pourpose of the mission? And for what reason Daniel'd be mad/surprised/offended? He was so when he understood that the real mission wasn't humanitarian. But I have no problem with that because that worked for the plot and I like this ep just for that.
                        Sam left the room too, were they trying to trick her as well?

Daniel would be mad/surpirsed/offended if he had been tricked or lied to, but he wasn't, he knew that the one of the reasons for the mission was in fact to gather technology. No one tricked Daniel into anything, he didn't agree with their methods, but he was well aware of what was going to happen.

But I don't suppose I'm going to be able to change your opinion anymore than you'll change mine.

Comment

This was a better episode than I remember from the first time. Lots of conflict for each charactor but of course all is okay in the end.
                          sigpic

Comment

This episode was pretty much the reason I got into Stargate SG-1 (one late night), and one of the best in the series.

Comment

the one thing i dont like about their decision to help blow up the city is the thousands of helpless people in the stasis pods.
                              also, the eurondans first-contact behavior struck me as being very remniscient of that of the atlantis team when meeting the asurans.
                              R.I.P Stargate 1994-2009

Comment

Originally posted by asdf1239 View Post
                                the one thing i dont like about their decision to help blow up the city is the thousands of helpless people in the stasis pods.
                                also, the eurondans first-contact behavior struck me as being very remniscient of that of the atlantis team when meeting the asurans.
                                I don't think a city was destroyed.

Comment

Working...
                                X