The Fifth Race (215)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This episode has some great moments!
    -The 'face-hugger' grabbing Jack's head. That's a classic jump-out-of-your-seat moment.
    -The Ancients' language. Having taken Latin in High School, I can understand some of the words being referenced.
    -Jack, for a change, coming up with something that saves Sam!
    -The Asgaurd!!!! These little gray guys are soooo cool!

Best Moments:
    Jack: "I am absolutely fine! There is nothing cruvis with me!"
    *everyone stares*
    Daniel: "You just said 'cruvis'."
    Jack: "No, I didn't."
    Daniel: "Yes, you did."
    Jack: "No, I didn't."
    Daniel:"Did."
    Jack: "Didn't."
    Daniel:"Did."
    Jack: "Didn't."
    Daniel: "Did."
    Jack: "Cruvis!? What is that???"
    "Y'know; Lose it. It means, go crazy. Nuts. Insane. Bonzo. No Longer in posession of one's faculties. Three fries short of a Happy Meal. WHACKO!!!!!"

The perfect couple!

Comment

Makes me want to dig out the disc and watch it again.

Comment

Man my fron is hurting.

Comment

Best episode in all of SG-1 and Atlantis combined, no matter how many times i rewatch the series.
          RIP Don S. Davis 1942-2008

Comment

lovely ep, some brilliant team interaction, and it was fun to watch Jack suffer from word-confusion (it happens to me sometimes when I speak English - native tongue - and I can only think of a particular word in German)

One thing that annoyed me about this ep, and it annoys me about other eps is this: we hear that the mechanics / physics of the gate mean that objects exit the womhole at the same velocity they enter the wormhole. So since Jack walked very slowly into the wormhole to the Asgard home-world, why did he come flying out of it? It's a tiny thing but it really bugs me. (not as much as the hat thing... ;-) )
            In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Major Clanger View Post
              lovely ep, some brilliant team interaction, and it was fun to watch Jack suffer from word-confusion (it happens to me sometimes when I speak English - native tongue - and I can only think of a particular word in German)

One thing that annoyed me about this ep, and it annoys me about other eps is this: we hear that the mechanics / physics of the gate mean that objects exit the womhole at the same velocity they enter the wormhole. So since Jack walked very slowly into the wormhole to the Asgard home-world, why did he come flying out of it? It's a tiny thing but it really bugs me. (not as much as the hat thing... ;-) )
              I think in the case of the Asgard home world it was because of the extra power for the Stargate to dial another galaxy. It's similar to the early episodes when everyone came out shaking, freezing and often flying because the SGC used a dialing computer instead of a DHD and therefore hadn't adjusted to stellar drift and used an alternate power source. Perhaps if Jack had dialed the Asgard galaxy with the extra power source but using a DHD it wouldn't have been that bad.
              Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
              Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
              On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

good try - I don't buy it :-D

sigpic

Comment

Well. Look at Air pt1 in SGu? Many of those people entered walking briskly and FLEW out on the destiny. SO power/distance IS an issue.

Comment

what they show and what they say are 2 different things - it's annoying. They did make a point of mentioning that the exit velocity matches the entry velocity. I prefer my shows with a bit of internal consistency

sigpic

Comment

what they show and what they say are 2 different things - it's annoying. They did make a point of mentioning that the exit velocity matches the entry velocity. I prefer my shows with a bit of internal consistency
                      The strange exits were actually there from the beginning and only after it was stabilized was the exit velocity the same as the entry, unless in specific cases (like Antarctica, Asgard Homeworld, Destiny).
                      Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                      Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                      On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

nah - i still don't buy it

sigpic

Comment

Indeed, I think Portal's GLADoS explains this part of wormhole physics the simplest - "Speedy thing goes in, speedy thing goes out."
                          sigpic
                          Thank you to Ikorni for the sig

Jolinar's LJ - Currently reviewing all SG1 eps as part of the Shipper Rewatch, feel free to add me

Comment

Squee!! *flails*

So many feels for this episode!

The Asgard! Othala! The Ancients or gate-builders as they are referred to.

Funny dialogue i.e. Jack and Daniel's did-didn't in the briefingroom.
                            Jack being all smart and building things he doesn't know what it's used for... not at first anyway. Saving Sam and Teal'c when they get stuck off-world (their goose being cooked à point).

8 CHEVRON ADDRESS!!

*flails some more*

And Lieutenant Simmons -- I love him! He's cute.

Just too many feels to be coherent... we are a curious race with great potential! YESSS!
                            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

It's difficult to select an episode as "the best" because there are so many good ones, but The Fifth Race is a frontrunner at this point in the series.

Comment

Does anyone know if Jack's DHD schematic exists in a high definition print?
                                I'd love to be able to read it properly, and to see if the production team snuck any jokes in there.

dhd.jpg
                                Teselecta: "Silence will fall when the question is asked."

Doctor: "And what is the question?"

Teselecta: "How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?"

Doctor: " *Brainfart* ".

Comment

Working...
                                X