Secrets (209)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like how Jack wants to foget the medal's ceremony and "go with the boys."

Ah...it's good to go back to Abydos, just so sad the circumstances. I love Kasuf.

Wow..Teal'c goes through the ringer in the last episode, now Daniel (and Jack and Sam). This is such a heartwrenching episode all the way around. poor everybody.

I like the tension b/t Daniel and Teal'c when Teal'c suggests they take her back to earth. Good thing that Teal'c was around since Jack wasn't, Daniel was a bit too in shock to think straight.

Ah Jacob!!! Love him, Love him! he's sharp as a tack. Love the whole scene and interaction between Sam/Jacob/Jack/George. : )
    Yeah for Heru'ur!!! Love the Pirate Goa'uld!
    It would have been cool to have someday figured out who Zelig's source was. Ah the sweet mysteries of life. If there were no mysteries, what would we have to discuss on these forums?
    There's another episode where Jack says the two L's thing...can't remember right now.
    A very busy episode all in all, so much and so much tragedy.
    I love how bad Jack feels about the reporter. he's great guy all around, ain't he?

Good thing they're always ready...just in case they walk into situations like this. Love the knife and jack's comments as he skewers Heur'ur's hand!!

and can it get any better...two Goa'uld System Lords in one episode!
    Enjoying the Stargate Re-Watch Event: "This should not get old, General!"

Noxbait's Fan Fiction

Comment

9.5/10

These are the big story episodes I prefer. As far as nitpicking, well Daniel could have taken his wife to cimmeria to rid her of the Goa'uld as soon as he found her. I'll just assume that doing this while she was pregnant was risky.
      Babylon 5 - Farscape - Lost - Deadwood - Rome - Carnivale - Dexter - Sopranos - The Wire

Comment

Originally posted by FrodoFraggins View Post
        9.5/10

These are the big story episodes I prefer. As far as nitpicking, well Daniel could have taken his wife to cimmeria to rid her of the Goa'uld as soon as he found her. I'll just assume that doing this while she was pregnant was risky.
        It'd be very risky. Too much stress on the mother's body can endanger the baby. Now, they could have taken her there, she could have had the baby in the cave, and then they could have gotten rid of the Goa'uld, but I guess they figured this was a more dramatic storyline. (If Daniel and Sha're had been reunited for real, then that would have reduced the amount of time Daniel spent at the SGC--he wouldn't have been as driven as he was at this point.)

Comment

I loved this episode except for the reporter part liked seeing backstory on Sam and loved the part with Daniel and Sha're
          sigpic
          My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
          poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

Comment

One of my favourite ever SG-1 episodes, so much so that I have clear memories of watching it upon its initial broadcast back in the late 90s. What I love about it is that it completely defies your expectations and changes the status quo of the whole show, while maintaining the great characters, the interactions and also being highly emotionally charged throughout.

- So wonderful that they got Erick Avari back as Kasuf, I only wish he had been utilised more. Even if he hadn't been around, going back to Abydos and following up the plot threads we've had dangling is great fun to watch. It's a little odd that nobody speaks of Skaara's absence - he is Kasuf's son, after all.

- The introduction of Jacob! He was always one of my favourite characters, and I remember watching the episode and being so worked up that Sam wasn't able to tell her father about what she really does. Then he goes an hits us with the cancer revelation, and it becomes even worse! Talk about a good hook to continue watching and further my love for the show tenfold.

- As well as all this, we have the plot involving O'Neill and the reporter, which I also love. My hunch is that Kinsey was the one who leaked the existence of the Stargate. I loved Jack's explanation for the line about navigating his way across a galaxy. The "accidental" death of the reporter really took me by surprise, though.

- Heru-Ur is back again, with his really awesome Horus guards. And this time, we get to see the helmet retraction effect fully, and it looks superb. Excellent effects work. I think the Jaffa who reported to him was the same one who appeared in Thor's Chariot, nice continuity but surely he was taken by the Asgard? Ah well, we don't really know what happened to all those who were beamed away.

- The episode is not perfect, there are some silly moments. Not dialling the Stargate when Heru-Ur first begins to arrive is really annoying, Teal'c just stands there. They had plenty of time to get away if they had just gotten on with it. Also, Sha're asks "can you hear that?" and Daniel says, "hear what?" all while this huge rumbling noise shakes the temple around them!

- Emotionally, this episode really puts characters through some bad stuff. We've just had Teal'c going through hell with his wife and son and now Daniel finds his wife pregnant by Apophis. Not nice. In addition, Sam has the worst news imaginable from her father and Jack is clearly in serious doubt about how the reporter was killed. The writers must have been feeling particularly mean-spirited around this time.

RATING: 9 out of 10
            Private guitar tuition | Return To Grace - rock/pop party band

Comment

Loved the background of the desert when the ep title appears. There are several lovely, gentle images mixed up with the harsh realities. Like the city scape of Abydos against searing moments like Daniel registering with his eyes his dismay, disbelief, pain and such sorrow.

Teal'c's really a hero discovering Sha're's ability to remember the goa'uld's past and then using his creativity to safeguard the child and bring his friend to safety.

Jacob Carter is a jerk. His selfishness is probably a lot of why Sam ascends to the position that she does, but what a jerk! I really hate it when people try to make you feel obligated to them. Gets my goat!

And poor Jack! He was left with physical and emotional blood on his hands and the 'accident' might well have been the seed that pushes him to be even more the pain in the mikta that Kinsey and the NID find him to be.

Originally posted by LeftHandedGuitarist View Post
              - The episode is not perfect, there are some silly moments.
              Another silly moment was when Teal'c zats a Horus guard and he just keeps on wiggling; quivering mightily till Jack comes through the 'gate!

The effect of the point end of a fired zat was pretty cool, as was the secret uncovered by Jack about the fault in the goa'uld personal shield.

Good ep!

Comment

Originally posted by LeftHandedGuitarist View Post
                Not dialling the Stargate when Heru-Ur first begins to arrive is really annoying, Teal'c just stands there. They had plenty of time to get away if they had just gotten on with it.
                Yes! I'm so glad that bugged you too. You know what it reminds me of? Rodney McKay in SGA. You know, how he wastes ten seconds to explain how everyone will die within mere seconds if he doesn't do some really difficult thing that ultimately takes less time than he spent talking about it. Arrgh! Don't talk. Act.

Comment

I remember how shocked I was when I first saw Sha're in this ep.

I really love Horus guards. Inubis will always be the coolest though. Jacob is an ass in this ep, but I'm glad he improves.
                  sigpic

Comment

I'm sad to say that each time I rewatch this episode, I always skip past the Teal'c/Daniel/Sha're stuff. I guess I understand the importance of the information being presented (Sha're still alive, pregnant, have baby, the Goa'uld takes over her body again, etc), but it's just too damn boring for me.

On the flip side - I really love the events that take place in Washington with Jack/Sam/Jacob/Hammond/Selig.

The introduction of Jacob Carter in this episode probably provided the most impact on things to come, especially with his revelation of having cancer. Didn't I hear somewhere that Jacob was supposed to die?

I loved the discussion that Sam & Jacob had about NASA. It was great to see that Jacob would try to use his influence as an Air Force General to get his daughter into the program. His heart was in the right place, but he should have discussed it with Sam before looking into it. You could see Sam's conflict of wanting to tell her dad what a great job she already had. That had to hurt Jacob, being a two-star general, yet his daughter has a higher clearance than he does.

It was great that the writers made Jacob & George long-time friends. It kind of brings a little more impact of a father/daughter nature to all of the Sam/Hammond scenes throughout this series.

I loved the Jack/Armand Selig part as well. I liked how Jack didn't seem to flinch when Armand first mentioned the Stargate. I was disappointed that he was killed so soon. It would have been great to see what kind of different conflict he'd bring as a reporter trying to expose the program, rather than somebody like Senator Kinsey.

One of my favorite scenes is when Jack, Sam & Hammond are in the empty press room discussing the origin of the leak & what to do.

The best part of this episode - Sam & Jack in their lovely dress blues! Sam always rocks those 'blues'.

It was great that the two stories intersected again at the end with Sam & Jack coming back to Abydos to meet with the rest of their team. I liked how Teal'c reassured Daniel that Sha're wasn't completely gone yet, with his "She looked directly at us, Daniel Jackson, yet she did not reveal our position" comment.

And it couldn't be a Stargate episode without some great Sam technobabble. She seemed proud of Jack for paying attention to something she had said previously:

- :Good thing you remembered the shield's deflection capability's directly proportional to the amount of kinetic energy directed at it.
                    - : Right.
                    Jack throwing the knife is just proof that he does remember stuff that Sam says - as long as she can break it down into simple terms.
                    sigpic

Comment

My Livejournal post

Ah, cut Jacob some slack, people. He didn't realise (and couldn't be told) what Sam was doing, and he thought all that NASA stuff was still her dream. Wouldn't you be a little confused if you suddenly found out your kid changed their mind about something that major without giving you a proper explanation?
                      I think 'Chaka's_Mum' () made some good points a while back on page 2:

Originally posted by Chaka's_Mum View Post
                      He knew that Sam had dreamed of entering the Space Programme when she was younger, that she'd missed her chance after the Challenger disaster put things on hold and that this was his opportunity to get her what he still thought she hankered for (he has no idea, of course, that she's been into space quite a few times by now and doesn't need to do it strapped into a small capsule attached to several tons of highly dangerous combustible materials).

He was viewing it as what could, quite possibly, be his last chance to get Sam what he thought she wanted. The biggest problem is that what she's doing now not only whacks the Space Programme right into a cocked hat, it's also classified so she can't give him a decent reason why she's knocking him back (other than the 'I'm happy where I am now' routine, which may be true but still sounds dead lame). To him, she's turning down a Chance Of A Lifetime that he's pulled all those strings to get for her - and purely so she can stare at computer screens and stuff all day. I guess you can understand him being just a tad hacked off with this
                      "Thanks to denial, I'm immortal."
                      "A big 'Hello' to all intelligent life out there, and for everyone else, the secret is to bang the rocks together, guys!"
                      "Excuse me, barmaid? You seem to have brought me the wrong offspring. I ordered an extra large boy with beefy arms, extra guts and glory on the side. This here, this is a talking fishbone!"
                      "I'm Jack. It means... what's in the box?"

sigpic
                      >-- Czechs Rock! >--

Comment

There are a lot of things to love about this episode. There are also a lot of mistakes and plot holes, but I enjoy the idea enough to just let those go.

I admit that I don't enjoy the Daniel/Sha're storyline as much as I wish I could. My favorite part of the movie was the love story between Daniel and Shau'ri. I think she really is the love of his life and I don't think he will ever get over losing her. But I just don't like VB as Sha're or what the PTB did to her character going from the movie to the TV series.

It was great to see Kasuf again.

The introduction of Jacob was fantastic. We learn a lot about Sam and her past just seeing who her dad is and how they interact. And we also see a new depth to Sam's relationship with Hammond who is an old friend of the family. Then there is the very tense meeting between Jack and Jacob. I love it when these two are together. It's always so entertaining.

The reporter character was interesting. I kind of wished he had stuck around and maybe became an ally. Much later on we do getting something like that in the Julia Donavon character I suppose.

The script suggests that it's Kinsey or one of his people who has tipped the reporter off. But I don't see the benefit in that for Kinsey. Right now he's really the only one in Congress who knows about the Stargate and I'd think he'd want to keep that position of power. My vote is that it was an attempt at revenge by the disgraced Samuels.

Comment

Clearly some communication problems between Sam and Jacob. The usual expectations and "want what is best for you' from the father, the child resenting it and probably saying that's what they want just to keep parent happy.

Jacob still went ahead with pulling the strings without checking with Sam, obviously not thinking for one moment that Sam may have changed her direction and was happy with the way it was going career wise. It's this assumption that makes this an interesting meeting that turns into a confrontation and of course the 'guilt' creating in the child parents can do so well!!! Their scenes together are well played, with all these underlying currents of Sam's relationship with her father coming out into the open in just a couple of short scenes. He does care for her that does show in how he wants her to be happy, it's just the way he goes about showing it!

I remember the shock of that reporter being run over by the car when I watched this episode on it's first airing. Clearly the poor man was being used by someone to try and rattle Jack and the SGC, and was expendable. It was Jack's reaction that was so telling, he probably guessed who killed the reporter, but he was faced with the brutal reality of the price of working on a secret project, the reporter blamed him and the Air Force as he lay dying for stopping him breaking his story. I tend to believe it was Kinsey's first stab at trying to make Jack's life hell, of course Jack couldn't help feeling somewhat responsible because he too is caught up in the veil of secrecy surrounding the Stargate program.

Some great new storylines were seeded in this episode. Jacob, the Harsesis child and the machinations of shadowy organisations trying to undermine the SGC.

If anyone is interested, the Air Force HQ in Washington in front of which the reporter was run over was played by the Vancouver Art Gallery.

Comment

Pretty good episode.

Forgot Jacob was a 2-star (Major) General.

Tomorrow's a filter episode as we march to the Tok'ra 2-Parter set for this Thurs & Fri.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NowIWillDestroyAbydos View Post
                              Pretty good episode.

Forgot Jacob was a 2-star (Major) General.

Tomorrow's a filter episode as we march to the Tok'ra 2-Parter set for this Thurs & Fri.
                              You can't wait for that, can you?
                              "Thanks to denial, I'm immortal."
                              "A big 'Hello' to all intelligent life out there, and for everyone else, the secret is to bang the rocks together, guys!"
                              "Excuse me, barmaid? You seem to have brought me the wrong offspring. I ordered an extra large boy with beefy arms, extra guts and glory on the side. This here, this is a talking fishbone!"
                              "I'm Jack. It means... what's in the box?"

sigpic
                              >-- Czechs Rock! >--

Comment

I enjoyed this ep: gives so many hints to Sam's backstory!

Washington is her "old stomping grounds" because she spent "two years at the Pentagon trying to get the Stargate program off the ground" -and then we meet Jacob! Hello Dad!

It's neat seeing Jacob pre-Selmak so that we have a point of reference for the post-Selmak 'mellowing'. Jacob became one of my favorite secondary characters.
                                sigpic
                                sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
                                "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

Working...
                                X