No announcement yet.

Prisoners (203)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not much to say about this episode - it's nothing to get excited about, but it's also enjoyable. Linea was an interesting character but we never get to understand her, which doesn't leave any kind of lasting impression. The prison doesn't feel very prison-esque, and SG-1's escape from it was far too easy. I'd like to have known more about the aliens who imprisoned them there.

My favourite part of the whole thing is probably General Hammond going through the Stargate. I was surprised at how much of the episode I had completely forgotten - the pre-credit sequence didn't seem familiar at all, and I never remembered meeting the diplomatic SG-9 before. Usually with the first 5 or so seasons of the show I'm pretty familiar with the episodes, but even the jokes and one-liners here took me completely by surprise!

Certainly of a much better quality than most season 1 episodes, at any rate.

- I liked Daniel's reaction to finding out Jack had been in prison - there's a story I'd like to hear more about.

- This is the first confirmation I think we've had that the Stargate vortex will destroy anything it touches when the gate first opens. This brings up a ton of issues, not least as to why the iris is never destroyed (I know, people have their explanations for that), and why aren't the plant vines cut when the gate activates?

- In addition, this clarifies things further on manual dialing the gate. The inner ring won't rotate unless there is some energy flow to the gate (I guess kind of like the way your car's steering wheel is locked until you turn the key a little!). This is also the first of many examples of marrying two alien technologies together with very few problems for convenience's sake, as would continue from now through to the end of the show. Atlantis did this a lot.

- General Hammond's reaction to SG-1's return feels a bit odd, almost as if he's annoyed.

RATING: 7 out of 10
    Last edited by LeftHandedGuitarist; 01 September 2011, 01:30 PM.
    Private guitar tuition | Return To Grace - rock/pop party band

Comment

I must say that this is probably one of the few episodes that I usually skip over if I have the chance.

The highlights for me include General Hammond and his concern & effort to try and get the team back. I also like how they have SG9 as a 'diplomatic' team. With the focus on SG1 and all of their perilous exploits in this series so far, we seem to forget that there are teams who actually do "peaceful" missions and not go out hunting "bad guys".

Even though I wasn't fond of her character, it was nice to see Bonnie Bartlett in a featured role again. I remember her from a few old tv shows/movies back in the day. (including with one of my fave actresses, Marg Helgenberger!)

Sam's "I can take care of myself" diatribe when they first got into the prison made me groan again. They had finally been taking her off her "anything guys can do, I can do better" pedestal fairly nicely, and now they come back to this? Oy!
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by KayLyne View Post
        The highlights for me include General Hammond and his concern & effort to try and get the team back. I also like how they have SG9 as a 'diplomatic' team. With the focus on SG1 and all of their perilous exploits in this series so far, we seem to forget that there are teams who actually do "peaceful" missions and not go out hunting "bad guys".

Sam's "I can take care of myself" diatribe when they first got into the prison made me groan again. They had finally been taking her off her "anything guys can do, I can do better" pedestal fairly nicely, and now they come back to this? Oy!
        I agree with most people, I love Hammond's attempt to get SG1 back. I really enjoyed the alien race, it was refreshing to interact with such a unique and intriguing civilization. Linae was an interesting character, wish we got to learn more about her history and future.

One thing I reflected upon when rewatching this episode was the striking resemblence in design the S2 opening 3 eps have with S1 opening 3 eps:

CotG: Stuck on alien plantet and escape - Serpent Lair: Stuck on alien craft and escape.
        Enemy Within: Goauld inflitrates team member and messes with SGC - Line of Duty: Goauld infiltrates team member and messes with SGC.
        Emancipation: Sam held prisoner, focus on gender, SG1 diplomatic theme, saves the day - Prisoners: Sam (and team) held prisoner, focus on gender, SGC diplomatic theme, saves the day.

Anyone else notice this?

"The greatest compliment that was ever paid me was when one asked me what I thought, and attended to my answer.” - Henry David Thoreau

sigpic

Comment

This ep is a good example of the differences in Justice available in the universe; as meted out by the Taldor compared with that of the Byrsa in Cor-ai. Though the Taldor could be representative of all governments ruled by unreasonable, power mongerers.

'Prisoners' is Stargate's homage to the Pirates of the Caribbean ride Disneyland. A fun romp complete with a nonchalant Colonel, a mystified guard, a fiesty scientist and a damsel in distress...yes, my Daniel. Some of the cookiest lines and most fun moments are delivered between Jack and Daniel, from the Botany Bay/eye wear scene to all the grins in the briefing room, the two were obviously having fun.

Linea's line, "There are many forms of power, my dear," was only missing, "said the spider to the fly" to be complete. But the story also showed how when we personally aim to benefit, how willing we are not to ask many difficult questions!

Comment

My LiveJournal post

Good episode, I didn't remember it. I don't think I remember the follow-up either but don't worry, I don't mind spoilers, so don't mind me!
            "Thanks to denial, I'm immortal."
            "A big 'Hello' to all intelligent life out there, and for everyone else, the secret is to bang the rocks together, guys!"
            "Excuse me, barmaid? You seem to have brought me the wrong offspring. I ordered an extra large boy with beefy arms, extra guts and glory on the side. This here, this is a talking fishbone!"
            "I'm Jack. It means... what's in the box?"

sigpic
            >-- Czechs Rock! >--

Comment

One episode of season two I wasn't looking forward to watching again. I didn't really like it first time round and still didn't with this re-watch.

To me it felt that just as soon as SG-1 arrived at the prison, you know they are going to escape easily, there was no initial sense of hopelessness and set backs you'd expect in their situation. There was so much more opportunity for more menacing tension between all the prisoners and SG-1. Linea was a good character though, nothing is what it seems certainly applied here!!

The highlight for me was the discussion about what happened to people when they stood in front of the gate when it activated. The smoking shoes, with feet left in them! The special effect of the people vapourising in the gate activation vortex was a good one I thought.

Comment

Average ep. Don't know what to say. SG-1 let a "Destroyer of Worlds" go, god knows what damage she's done after this episode.
                sigpic

Comment

Although I wouldn't classify this episode among my favorites I still consider it watchable.

I really think Jack shines here. He's a very in charge while still being his usual flipant self. He's amusing ans sarcastic without being stupid. (Something his character loses in later seasons as the clown takes over.) It's like he's playing a chess game with Linea, trying to figure out her motivations while still manipulating the situation to get himself and his team home. In the end, he misjudges her and she gets away with more than she gives.

But I have to say, I never understood Linea's motivation. There is something sinster about her right from the beginning. But nothing we learn leads me to believe she is a heartless monster. She helps SG1 in order to maintain her power and ultimately escape, but she has no selfish reason to help the blind man who ultimately proves dangerous to her. Additionally, her history shows that she wasn't just randomly killing people. She created a disease to stop a war (biological warfare). Distasteful and morally wrong yes, but I'm not sure that makes her a pure psychopath who's intent is to roam the galaxy causing distruction. (And the sequel sheds very little additional light on her character.)

It's obvious that she's briliant, which may lead her to treat those beneath her intellect with some antipathy. Jack plays up Sam's brilliance in figuring out the stargate, which clearly raises their estimation in Linea's eyes. And actually cause any harm to anyone at the SGC. I think all this makes her character much more ambiguous and thus interesting.

And as others have said, the real highlight of the episode for me is Hammond going through the gate.

"The things I do for these people."

He really is the perfect leader. He cares for his people. Takes ultimate responsibility (no buck passing). He says it like it is and won't be cowed.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                    Sam's overconfidence (and naivete) in her own ability to take care of herself, when she admonishes Linnea for stopping the men from harming her. No way in Hadante () Sam would be able to take on one of those men, let alone two or more if they decided to have their way with her. She may have beaten Turghan in "Emancipation", but this is way different than that was.

Actually, the whole team seems to be a bit overconfident in their abilities there. The only successful thing they did while there, really, was to escape. None of the guys would have been able to beat off the other prisoners if those prisoners decided to do something to them.

And Daniel and his incessant insistence on telling people how wrong they are and what they can and cannot do, and how right he is and how wrong they are. Makes me want to scream every time he does something like that. He's the one that gets the team into trouble about 99% of the time, and never gets reprimanded for it. I sometimes wonder why Jack keeps him on the team.
                    All very true. Also General Hammond not understanding how SG-1 reterned seemed weird. Shouldn't he have known it was SG-3's IDC?

Comment

The Taldor's approach to justice shows that absolute blind justice can be very unjust given the right conditions. What would have been the Taldor's reaction to the escape of SG-1?

The first time I watched this ep, I believed that Linea's crime had mitigating circumstances. How could this nice kind older lady be capable of such crimes? Your neighbor might appear to be gentle and kind--but might be a serial murder.

Comment

I like this ep for some reason. Not my favourite but I still enjoy watching it.

Teal'c, take point and look scary.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                          I have to wonder, though, just how Linnea managed to almost instantly learn how to use the computers and other techno-gadgets at the SGC and then dial the gate in order to escape to somewhere else. She didn't seem like somebody who knew much about technology.
                          Even though the conditions at the prison were primitive, the Toldur's population is more technologically advanced than Earth's. IIRC, Linea is from one of the island states overseen by the Toldur, so she probably had regular access to the advanced technology. And, Linea is super-genius smart. I'm mostly okay with her getting around the SGC's computer system, although she did a lot in a very short time.
                          My Stargate Re-Watch Blog: Wormhole!

Comment

This episode looks better the second time around. The first I was dull out of my mind. On the surface SG1 being wrongly inprison on a planet is almost a rehash of S1. But the ending is what makes this episode unique and in a whole new light. The creepyness of our actions have consquences echos when SG1 accidentally frees a mass murderer. Its short but that resonates with me and why I like this episode. It shows things are not always as they seem
                            Originally posted by aretood2
                            Jelgate is right

Comment

This is usually one of the episodes that I skip over. I think the only thing good about this episode is that General Hammond gets to go offworld.
                              My favorite TV shows

sigpic

Comment

It was 5pm and another ep of SG1...

1. SG1 in prison, definately a "how are they going to get out.

2. Looking back, the SG9 leader seemed like an idiot.

3. Linea, if someone's got your back, even if everyone else is scared by her...you don't nitpick.

4. Still, I don't think anyone had suspected her of being the "Destroyer of Worlds". Solid ep!
                                I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Working...
                                X