No announcement yet.

Unending (1020)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As good an ending as it could be given the show had been cancelled. It wasn't an ending to SG-1 as a whole I've always felt, only to seasons 9 & 10, and even a stop gap between that and 'The Ark of Truth'. If it was an SG-1 ending it would have had Jack in it, I'm still baffled to this day why he wasn't even mentioned at least!

Creedence Clearwater Revival?!!! Odd use of 'Have You Ever Seen the Rain' in the life on board as the years go by montage!

Even though SG-1 was my favourite of all the series', it is the worst series ender for me. It just didn't reflect the whole spirit of what I enjoyed in SG-1 over the years. For example, the way Earth learned the hard way, then killing off the Asgard with a 'oh by the way you are the Fifth Race' to negate that whole 'earning' the title idea Stargate worked on for the previous years in five minutes!

Comment

My LiveJournal post
      "Thanks to denial, I'm immortal."
      "A big 'Hello' to all intelligent life out there, and for everyone else, the secret is to bang the rocks together, guys!"
      "Excuse me, barmaid? You seem to have brought me the wrong offspring. I ordered an extra large boy with beefy arms, extra guts and glory on the side. This here, this is a talking fishbone!"
      "I'm Jack. It means... what's in the box?"

sigpic
      >-- Czechs Rock! >--

Comment

Originally posted by Krisz View Post
        As good an ending as it could be given the show had been cancelled. It wasn't an ending to SG-1 as a whole I've always felt, only to seasons 9 & 10
        Classic SG-1 ended with "Reckoning," "Theads," and "Moebius." So, you're right, "Unending" was a finale for the bonus seasons as you put it.

...and even a stop gap between that and 'The Ark of Truth'.
        It was made pretty clear by MGM that the series would be continued in movie format, thus the finale was simply meant to be a big event. The Odyssey's Asgard upgrades, the Asgard core, the death of the Asgard, the Ori ships chasing them, and finally, the time dilation field that left Teal'c old. I wonder, what happened to the crew? Would they have been stranded in the Asgard's galaxy had the Odyssey not come back?

If it was an SG-1 ending it would have had Jack in it, I'm still baffled to this day why he wasn't even mentioned at least!
        They couldn't afford him, simply put. It may also have been a schedule conflict. He was contracted for five episodes, and they'd already been filmed: 2 for SG-1, 3 for Atlantis. As for being mentioned, why would he? There really wouldn't have been a place for this except for when the Asgard were upgrading the ship and preparing to wink out once and for all. However, due to how much was crammed into the episode, it just wouldn't have fit the story. The finale was for the "Seasons 9-10" cast.

Creedence Clearwater Revival?!!! Odd use of 'Have You Ever Seen the Rain' in the life on board as the years go by montage!
        I thought it fit perfectly. What's the objection?

Even though SG-1 was my favourite of all the series', it is the worst series ender for me. It just didn't reflect the whole spirit of what I enjoyed in SG-1 over the years. For example, the way Earth learned the hard way, then killing off the Asgard with a 'oh by the way you are the Fifth Race' to negate that whole 'earning' the title idea Stargate worked on for the previous years in five minutes!
        What has the SGC's mandate been? Explore the galaxy, make allies, and acquire weapons to fight the Goa'uld (and later the Ori). The Asgard's gift to Earth is the ultimate example of fulfilling this mission mandate. The only thing that has surpassed this was Atlantis's homecoming.

Comment

Thier is a love and hate aspect to this episode. And no I am not talking about the hate of this being the series finale for SG1. I have always hated the giving us all the Asgard's technology. Specfically I am talking about the beam weapons. It just overpowered the ship and made for some boring storytelling in S4 and S5 of Atlantis. The overall death of Asgard didn't bother me like it did for a lot of people. I thought it was actually a good idea to go with this episode being the series finale. Obviously they couldn't kill the Ori in just a 43 minute episode so this was the next best thing. However it would probably have been better to have an episode featuring the Asgard versus being stuck in a time dilation field for 50 years. The character changes that were brought on because of isolation were interesting but to be honest it got boring after awhile only to be solved by some random technobabble by Sam and Teal'c makes the noble sacrifice of staying. That was kind of obvious. Although I would have to like to see some insight into how Teal'c staying old changed his status on SG1. I am reminded of the events of Orpheus. Again not the writers fault because Sci-Fi cancelled them. I will say I liked the ending at the SGC. Gave a feel of things don't change and life going through the Stargate goes on
          Originally posted by aretood2
          Jelgate is right

Comment

That is what I liked most about this series finale. How our team seemed to continue on, doing what they do. Sadly, we just wouldn't see those future adventures.
            sigpic
            MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
            "...phu...ah..."
            "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
            Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
              Thier is a love and hate aspect to this episode. And no I am not talking about the hate of this being the series finale for SG1. I have always hated the giving us all the Asgard's technology. Specfically I am talking about the beam weapons. It just overpowered the ship and made for some boring storytelling in S4 and S5 of Atlantis. The overall death of Asgard didn't bother me like it did for a lot of people. I thought it was actually a good idea to go with this episode being the series finale. Obviously they couldn't kill the Ori in just a 43 minute episode so this was the next best thing. However it would probably have been better to have an episode featuring the Asgard versus being stuck in a time dilation field for 50 years. The character changes that were brought on because of isolation were interesting but to be honest it got boring after awhile only to be solved by some random technobabble by Sam and Teal'c makes the noble sacrifice of staying. That was kind of obvious. Although I would have to like to see some insight into how Teal'c staying old changed his status on SG1. I am reminded of the events of Orpheus. Again not the writers fault because Sci-Fi cancelled them. I will say I liked the ending at the SGC. Gave a feel of things don't change and life going through the Stargate goes on

Am I misremembering? I thought they *did* kill the Ori in a 43 minute ep.
              sigpic
              Mourning Sanctuary.
              Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post
                You're wrong! They killed the Ori in just 5 minutes The last five minutes from "Shroud"

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post
                  Maybe I should have clarified better. I was refering to the Ori arc not specifically the aliens that were the Ori.
                  Originally posted by aretood2
                  Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by siles View Post
                    You're wrong! They killed the Ori in just 5 minutes The last five minutes from "Shroud"
                    I didn't say it took them 43 minutes to kill them, just that it was in a 43 minute ep.
                    sigpic
                    Mourning Sanctuary.
                    Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
                      That is what I liked most about this series finale. How our team seemed to continue on, doing what they do. Sadly, we just wouldn't see those future adventures.
                      so very sad. I miss this show so much....
                      sigpic

Comment

I have always hated the giving us all the Asgard's technology. Specfically I am talking about the beam weapons. It just overpowered the ship and made for some boring storytelling in S4 and S5 of Atlantis.
                        I loved the finale in that SG-1 finally fulfilled their mission. There was the Antarctic outpost, but weren't the drone weapons mostly depleted after Anubis? There was the discovery of Atlantis, but that can't help Earth much if it's in another galaxy. The Asgard handing over everything was what SG-1 had spent ten years attempting to accomplish. It's the final episode, so it's not like we viewers have to worry about the heroes being overpowered. Granted, there was the overpowered Odyssey in The Ark of Truth, but that was about resolution. Now, on the Atlantis side of the coin, yes, the Daedalus and Apollo were overpowered in the later seasons. However, you'll notice that the ships appearances were reduced once they were upgraded with beam weapons. I think this was a smart move on the writers' part.

The overall death of Asgard didn't bother me like it did for a lot of people. I thought it was actually a good idea to go with this episode being the series finale. Obviously they couldn't kill the Ori in just a 43 minute episode so this was the next best thing. However it would probably have been better to have an episode featuring the Asgard versus being stuck in a time dilation field for 50 years.
                        Well, the Ori had already been killed off in "The Shroud." Had the show continued, I think we'd learn that the weapon failed, and the Ori were still at large. With the series cancelled and only one movie to end the story, it had to be easier for the writers to say the Ori were killed off by Merlin's weapon. This meant they only had to deal with Adria and the Priors. As for the finale being about the end of the Asgard instead of the time dilation field, I absolutely agree. However, the finale was suppose to be a team episode, thus the whole time dilation story. The death of the Asgard, it was too brief. It felt like an after thought. Given it was a last-minute finale, I can forgive the rushed nature of the episode.

The character changes that were brought on because of isolation were interesting but to be honest it got boring after awhile only to be solved by some random technobabble by Sam and Teal'c makes the noble sacrifice of staying.
                        Well, it wasn't solved by random technobabble. It was solved by throwing the time dilation field in reverse, using the power of the ship's destruction, oddly enough. I love that Teal'c stayed old at the end of the episode. Despite Continuum being retconned to take place after SGA's "Midway," I like how that episode implied that Teal'c finally rejoined his people. Who'd expect Teal'c to continue with the SGC after 60 years? Ten in the field, fifty on the Odyssey.

That was kind of obvious. Although I would have to like to see some insight into how Teal'c staying old changed his status on SG1.
                        This is something that should have been explored in The Ark of Truth, but sadly, it was not. Interestingly, though, if you want to look for subtle changes to Teal'c due to being old... try this timeline.

SG-1 "Unending" (aged 50 years, spontaneously from SG-1's point of view)
                        The Ark of Truth (Teal'c seemed old, no?)
                        Continuum (proper timeline Teal'c only makes a brief appearance)
                        SGA "Reunion" (cameo)
                        SGA "Midway" (last big hurrah for Teal'c)

Yeah, yeah, dialogue from SGA "Search and Rescue" puts Continuum after "Midway." However, I think that's retroactive nonsense due to post production taking so long. The movie, for me at least, flows better if it takes place right after TAoT. "Midway" especially works well if you think of it as the final chronological appearance of Teal'c. First time I saw the episode, I honestly thought they were going to kill him off. That was an intense episode!

I will say I liked the ending at the SGC. Gave a feel of things don't change and life going through the Stargate goes on
                        Indeed, this ending was especially necessary, given there'd be two more adventures before it was all over.

Comment

Because everything besides Teal'c in his little bubble would return to the exact same time that the time dilation field was activated
                          If this was in response to the notion that the shields should have recharged within the dilation field, then the claim is incorrect. At any point they could have disabled the dilation field but it would have meant their instant destruction. There wouldn't have been any time reversal. It took Carter 50 years to figure out how to accomplish that.

Comment

This episode needed Jack O'Neill.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanysh View Post
                              This episode needed Jack O'Neill.
                              yes it did!!
                              sally

sigpic

Comment

As a whole i really didn't like season 10, it got real bad after episode 14.

The Asgaard dying was absurd, as many have said (I didn't read all 100 pages).

And there were too many questions left unanswered.

It also felt silly they should spend 50 years alone in a spaceship (They would probably have all gone insane, and killed off each other).
                                Daniel yelling at Vala was the worst scene.
                                The "have you ever seen the rain" scene was second worst (I didn't mind the music, but it just seemed totally out of place)

The best scene, hmm I honestly don't know, but the computer graphics were kind of cool.

I also missed Jack. He should have been there

Well, I'm looking forward to watch the two movies now, and the rest of SGA

Can't believe I've been through 10 seasons already
                                Last edited by Cluas; 19 February 2013, 02:12 AM. Reason: to add

Comment

Working...
                                X