No announcement yet.

Family Ties (1018)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I LOVED that episode!!!! it was so funny. SG-1 at its coolest.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Huh? Who told you this was the final episode?!

Comment

Note I said..........."last few episodes". I am well aware that this was NOT the final episode. However it was a nothing episode! They already knew the series was ending when this was filmed and THAT'S the kind of **** they see as fit to produce as one of "the last few episodes" of SG-1?? Clearly they don't have anything creative left. The cancellation is a blessing if they see this as fit to produce.

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
        Huh? Who told you this was the final episode?!

Comment

^Seemed like you're saying it's the final episode to me:

Originally posted by STC View Post

If this is the kind of **** (use whatever four letter word you wish to insert here) TPTB could come up with as a final episode in what was a stellar series seasons 1-8, then it's high time this series ended. This episode was a load of crap, frankly and a complete waste of time. Why would I even care about these characters particularly Vala (who normally I don't mind) and her imbecilic father??

Comment

Originally posted by STC View Post
            Note I said..........."last few episodes". I am well aware that this was NOT the final episode. However it was a nothing episode! They already knew the series was ending when this was filmed and THAT'S the kind of **** they see as fit to produce as one of "the last few episodes" of SG-1?? Clearly they don't have anything creative left. The cancellation is a blessing if they see this as fit to produce.
            yes they knew it was going to be cancelled WHILE THEY WERE FILMING. the episode had already been wriiten and scripts finalised before then.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
              yes they knew it was going to be cancelled WHILE THEY WERE FILMING. the episode had already been wriiten and scripts finalised before then.
              Exactly, it irritates me when people complain bout this.

Comment

If they knew the show was cancelled, then, they should have finished filming this episode but left it only as a bonus on the DVD set, like a "previously unreleased episode", or like a "deleted scenes" sections (only here, it would be "deleted episode"!)..
                And if they needed to fill a episode slot to fill the quota, why not make a mega-huge-10-years-worth of a clip-show episode? like to celebrate the whole series achievements.

Comment

actually, if you listen to an interview of coop's...and no i dont' know where it is, someone sent me a cd, anyway he talks about getting the movies and how Ark of Truth was to be teh two part finale to s10 and a cliffie...then the show was cancelled and scifi didn't want a cliffe, and then they got the movies, so AoT's plot was moved to the movie...thus leaving two episodes open.

IMHO, that's why we got the slapped together drek that this was. They needed to fill two episodes, family ties was one, and i think unending was the other.

dominion exists to set up a plot point for AoT, and the first 5 minutes of unending sets up the plot..and the rest is, imho, slipshod filler.

family ties is nothing mroe than a set of running gags where our characters are abyssmally stupid to facilitate the plot. It flies in the face of canon and, evidentally, even contradicts continuum...according to spoilers anyway

Spoiler:
                  how can vala be a host still in continuum if she was host to qetesh for such a short time that her dad didn't know? it means that she was a host for no more than 10-20 years...yet continuum takes place over a much longer stretch of time

teh lam/landry stuff comes out of left field, especially considering that lam has been largely absent from s10 due to lexa's baby time.

what family ties COULD have been is an exploration of fathers. vala's sure...maybe the team breaks up his schemeing off world where it's just a bit more believable than him setting up shop on earth. we could have had sam and vala comparing/mentioning thier two fathers. teal'c and ryac culd have been a plot, bonus points if ryac is about to become a dad.

it COULD have been so much more and had some real emotion and angst...instead it was as if they couldn't get past 'omg, fred willard issoooooo funny!@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!' and didn't even bother to delve any deeper than what schtick they could mock

It was a waste of an hour. Just like unending is a waste of an hour. the only difference between unending and family ties is that they TRY for angst for unending while in family ties they stuck iwth the slapstick
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Arga View Post
                    and from now on, I won't look at those polystyrene beans in postal packages in the same innocent way as before...
                    Yep, that us roaring at my house!

Originally posted by Liam Kincaid View Post
                    I enjoyed Cameron and Sam's jabs at Sci-Fi for their decision to cancel the series.
                    Very subtle and cute

Originally posted by Hatusu View Post
                    This was a very poor and unbelievable episode. Actually, I've seen it before. It was an episode of "It Takes a Thief" with Robert Wagner (1968-1970). He had gone straight, but his father showed up embarrassing him. The father was played by Fred Astaire. At least Fred Astaire was charming.

I know. It ages me.
                    Then it ages me too! I loved Fred Astaire as a con man... from his appearance in towering inferno to his episode as Starbucks supposed father in the original BSG, he always carried it off with style and sass! I would have preferred another actor as Vala's dad... someone more believable as a sucessful (in that he hasn't been shot or arrested) crook. Maybe Robert Wagner (nice turn around eh?) or patrick duffy? but I must agree it was a poor episode, except I did like the bit of vala and sam shopping and when tea'lc sat in the vagina monologues I roared. (ok a confession... i had to explain to my nerd-boy husband that the vagina monologues is a real show!)

Comment

I loved family ties personally. I thought it was a fantastic episode and very funny.

As for the Vala and her father having no chemistry i thought there was. But the awkwardness and the distance between them was the whole point of the ep.

Comment

I'd just like to note that they (as in crew, actors, producers, etc.) found out that the show was being canceled right after the 200 party, which was a season 10 episode, so the eps were already written (and maybe few had actually been filmed) and thus probably not meant to end the series.

Last edited by Carter1994; 14 June 2007, 01:15 PM.

Comment

true....b ut they found out about the MOVIES after the mid season break. Ark of Truth was originally meant to be the two part series finale. then they got word on the movie and they needed to fill that slot. and i personally think family ties was one of those fillers. because, over all arc wise, it does nothing for the story at all
                          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Hatusu View Post
                            This was a very poor and unbelievable episode. Actually, I've seen it before. It was an episode of "It Takes a Thief" with Robert Wagner (1968-1970). He had gone straight, but his father showed up embarrassing him. The father was played by Fred Astaire. At least Fred Astaire was charming.
                            Hatusu....OMG, I'm showing my age, but I remember that episode! Fred Astaire did another similar episode in the ORIGINAL Battlestar Galactica when he played Starbucks father Chameleon in "The Man with Nine Lives".

I agree, this story has been done before. I posted before that I didn't care for this episode. Someone mentioned in an earlier post that Claudia and Fred didn't have chemistry and I agree. I find that hard to take too, because Claudia pretty much can work with anyone and get away with it.

Well, here's hoping the last two episodes are great!

Comment

Alright, folks

The opening sequence of the episode, re-edited by me, in sit-com manner (which sounded more appropriate for that episode) just to see how it would sound like with a laughter track.

Youtube and on Stargatecommunity

(of course I'll remove it if I have to)
                              Last edited by Arga; 16 June 2007, 01:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Arga View Post
                                Alright, folks

The opening sequence of the episode, re-edited by me, in sit-com manner (which sounded more appropriate for that episode) just to see how it would sound like with a laughter track.

Youtube and on Stargatecommunity

(of course I'll remove it if I have to)
                                LOL! . It sad how much that laugh track fits. *bangs head and slips on a banana peel*
                                Hatshepsut, Queen Pharaoh

Comment

Working...
                                X