No announcement yet.

The Shroud (1014)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After the road not taken and the quest part I & II one of my fav eps in this season!!!! Loved the discussion between jack and daniel. sad..that jack is not a regular cast anymore..anyway...ONE of the best ep of this season....
    sigpic

Comment

This is probably my favorite episode of the entire series. It has everything! Jack is back, which is great, and the scenes between him and Daniel are just awesome. The team is all working together, Jack included, to figure out what's going on with Daniel and if he's being truthful, and if he's not how to save him. Woolsey's part in this also really upped the suspense, both on if Daniel was still good or not, and how Daniel was going to come out of this. Loved the scene between Vala and Daniel where she has to explain to him why they can't completely trust him like he wants them to. That scene is just awesome. And the way it ultimately progressed the story forward to set things up for Adria being the Big Bad... what a great episode.
      sigpic
      Much thanks to Snowball for the banner! Many thanks to Cazzblade for the avatar!!
      I'm a 60%er!
      ~~~Iawen~~~

Comment

I really liked this episode, as well, although I would have liked there to have been a little less humor in Daniel's return, and a little more drama. Not angst, drama. Just something touching on how difficult it must have been for Daniel to go through all that and not be believed. Not a lot, I'm not a fan of wallowing, but I think there could have been a little more acknowledgement of that.

Comment

Originally posted by amconway View Post
          I really liked this episode, as well, although I would have liked there to have been a little less humor in Daniel's return, and a little more drama. Not angst, drama. Just something touching on how difficult it must have been for Daniel to go through all that and not be believed. Not a lot, I'm not a fan of wallowing, but I think there could have been a little more acknowledgement of that.
          I actually really agree with you on that point. Poor guy must have been so frustrated.
          sigpic
          Much thanks to Snowball for the banner! Many thanks to Cazzblade for the avatar!!
          I'm a 60%er!
          ~~~Iawen~~~

Comment

This remains a very powerful episode to me, no matter how many times I've seen it. One of SG-1's all-time best episodes, at least IMO.
            sigpic
            MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
            "...phu...ah..."
            "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
            Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

This remains a very powerful episode to me, no matter how many times I've seen it. One of SG-1's all-time best episodes, at least IMO.
              I'd agree with you on that, regardless of my quibble. It was a very strong episode, throughout. And when those ships come through the gate, after all that, it's just heartbreaking.

Comment

This is a brilliant episode!!! love having daniel and jack back together and love the daniel/vala scene.

Comment

Originally posted by J_C View Post
                  This is a brilliant episode!!! love having daniel and jack back together and love the daniel/vala scene.
                  Heh, Vala sitting on Daniel's lap was awesome. And Daniel scaring the crap out of Woolsey! *snirk*

Comment

so im FINALLY getting around to conways challenge and i decided to review The Shroud because it is one of my favorite episodes and one of stargates best.Seeing Daniel as a Prior preaching Origin was a great addition to the episode.Because only Daniel would preach it...without the "you will be wiped out for not believing" lines.

The teams reaction was also well done and the acting from everyone was superb.The best scene had to be Jack confronting Daniel about being a prior and his CRAZY plan to destroy the Ori.It was absolutly hilarious and moving...as u could see Jack was having trouble seeing his friend like that.The classic banter between the two men has been sorely missed and it was great to see RDA back for more than an extended cameo.the writing was brilliant as well and the directing was equally good.

of course the IOA had to come in and put there 2 cents in...and in this situation...they were actually right.daniel was potentially a danger.i really loved daniel busting out of his restraints and confronted woolsey i actually thought he was bad.then i thought he was good and then i thought he was bad once again when he told adria he was actin on her behalf....michael shanks was awesome in this episode.

What really made this episode for me was no on knew whether they could trust Daniel even though u could see they wanted to.it was something that we hadnt seen in a long time and once again he proved that he wont let the team down.of course then end was heart breaking when they finally may have destroyed the ori....more ships come through the super gate.

so i finally got mine done....

Comment

Seeing Daniel as a Prior preaching Origin was a great addition to the episode.Because only Daniel would preach it...without the "you will be wiped out for not believing" lines.
                      We all should have known he was still good when we heard that, shouldn't we? Daniel was the nicest Prior ever.

It was, indeed, tremendously good to have RDA back in this episode, and I will agree, the acting from all was excellent. My one quibble is that I would have seen them go just a touch more serious in the part where Daniel was trying to convince them of his plan. I mean, here's Daniel, captive of the Ori for months, and who knows what all they did to him--he's done everything he can to save the galaxy and no one will believe him! Not the I blame tham, we're talking fate of the galaxy,here. It's not like in Spirits when Jack didn't know if Daniel was Daniel and he asks 'Why should I believe you? " and accepts Daniel's answer of 'Because'. The stake are a little higher.

Still, Daniel must have been beyond frustrated and maybe just a tiny bit hurt that they couldn't tell that he wasn't the embodiment of evil. He'd probably like to think that something like that shows.

of course the IOA had to come in and put there 2 cents in...and in this situation...they were actually right.daniel was potentially a danger.i really loved daniel busting out of his restraints and confronted woolsey i actually thought he was bad.then i thought he was good and then i thought he was bad once again when he told adria he was actin on her behalf....michael shanks was awesome in this episode.
                      How right you are! I went back and forth on that a bit, too. At the same time, I couldn't believe that Daniel would ever really do anything evil. I knew that whatever he was doing was for the good of all, I just didn't know if he was lying to them to achieve it. Michael Shanks was superb. The push and pull at the emotions of 'trust Daniel', 'no, maybe not' was riveting.

of course then end was heart breaking when they finally may have destroyed the ori....more ships come through the super gate.
                      Oh, yes! So sad, especially when you thought of everything Daniel went through, how big a win he was hoping for. Even though he knew it was a possibility that the armies wouldn't stop just because the Ori were gone, it had to be a devastating disappointment!

Comment

[QUOTE=amconway;9872197]We all should have known he was still good when we heard that, shouldn't we? Daniel was the nicest Prior ever.

It was, indeed, tremendously good to have RDA back in this episode, and I will agree, the acting from all was excellent. My one quibble is that I would have seen them go just a touch more serious in the part where Daniel was trying to convince them of his plan. I mean, here's Daniel, captive of the Ori for months, and who knows what all they did to him--he's done everything he can to save the galaxy and no one will believe him! Not the I blame tham, we're talking fate of the galaxy,here. It's not like in Spirits when Jack didn't know if Daniel was Daniel and he asks 'Why should I believe you? " and accepts Daniel's answer of 'Because'. The stake are a little higher.

Still, Daniel must have been beyond frustrated and maybe just a tiny bit hurt that they couldn't tell that he wasn't the embodiment of evil. He'd probably like to think that something like that shows.

QUOTE]
                        well i think he was making the jokes because it was his way of dealing with seing daniel like that.i kinda do the same thing...to hide how i really feel i just make smartass comments.but of course daniel was frustrated but i dont blame them all for being suspicous.i mean especially after teal'c was brainwashed by apophis.daniel was gone months and comes back as a prior how can u not be afraid hes turned?

Comment

well i think he was making the jokes because it was his way of dealing with seing daniel like that.i kinda do the same thing...to hide how i really feel i just make smartass comments.but of course daniel was frustrated but i dont blame them all for being suspicous.i mean especially after teal'c was brainwashed by apophis.daniel was gone months and comes back as a prior how can u not be afraid hes turned?
                          I think you're right about the jokes being Jack's method of dealing and, let's face it, neither of these guys let their emotions hang out all over the place. For me it would have been a non-issue of instead of the Vala sitting in Daniel's lap scene, they'd used some of that dialogue for a friendship scene between Daniel and Jack.

Comment

Originally posted by amconway View Post
                            I think you're right about the jokes being Jack's method of dealing and, let's face it, neither of these guys let their emotions hang out all over the place. For me it would have been a non-issue of instead of the Vala sitting in Daniel's lap scene, they'd used some of that dialogue for a friendship scene between Daniel and Jack.
                            yeah i think he even said it somewhere in an episode.but yeah the vala thing could have been sam and daniel moment or another jack and daniel moment...vala was fine but it seemed unecessary.

Comment

yeah i think he even said it somewhere in an episode.but yeah the vala thing could have been sam and daniel moment or another jack and daniel moment...vala was fine but it seemed unecessary.
                              There was nothing wrong with it being Vala in that scene. Except the lap thing. That was weird. She thinks he might be a prior and she's sitting in his lap? Actually, it would have been almost a weird if it'd been Daniel (in an obvious way). It totally emphasized his helplessness in the situation and can only be considered highly insensitive. Aside from that, Vala and Daniel had been through a lot together at that point, and she's not shown as being particularly close to the other members of the team. She probably missed him. It does seem odd that it wouldn't have been Jack, Sam, or even Teal'c who felt the need to give him some comfort, seeing as they'd known him so very much longer.

Comment

Originally posted by kennythewraith View Post
                                Seeing Daniel as a Prior preaching Origin was a great addition to the episode.Because only Daniel would preach it...without the "you will be wiped out for not believing" lines.
                                Good point.

Actually, did anyone else notice that they gave away Daniel's real loyalties early on? I think it's one of the cleverest lines in all of Stargate and I didn't notice it until a second or third viewing. But note what Daniel says when he preaches Origin:

"Aryan then took off the mask and reveled his true face. 'Your appearance matters not,' he said, 'only the truth of spirit in your heart.'"

Now if that doesn't apply to Daniel, I don't know what does. The phrase "truth of spirit" has been mentioned by Daniel (and used to describe him) at various points in season 10. And in this case, Daniel's appearance really doesn't matter because it hasn't changed his fundamental beliefs.

Anyway, I simply love that line and think it's some brilliant and wonderful foreshadowing. Major kudos to Rob Cooper for the writing on this one!
                                Chief of the GGP (Gateworld Grammar Police). Punctuation is your friend. Use it!

Great happy armies shall be gathered and trained to oppose all who embrace doubt. In the name of Hope, ships shall be built to carry our disciples out amongst the stars, and we will spread Optimism to all the doubters. The power of the Optimi will be felt far and wide, and the pessimists shall become positive-thinkers.
                                Hallowed are the Optimi.

Comment

Working...
                                X