No announcement yet.

The Shroud (1014)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At first I thought that Adria had probed Daniels mind, and then morphed her self into his shape. Then she could actually do anything she wanted... within reason of the show. But I am glad that the show went the way it did.

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
      Seeing this one again just reminded me how much I liked it. Great to see Jack back as well. They all function really well together on-screen if you ask me.
      Same here. They all do seem to look just right on screen. Proves just how well they all work together. It was great seeing this again one of the best eps this season.
      Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
      "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
      Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Is it just me or did this episode seem 'rushed'? Once again I was feeling that there no time to really get into any of the scenarios we were presented with before moving on to the next one.

More time was needed to see what Adria and Daniel were doing. I think someone mentioned earlier in this thread that the 'Dark' Daniel arc was going to be 6 episodes long. We could have been given more details into what was going on between Daniel and Adria, although I think it would have been a bit like Darth Vader and Luke all over again. Perhaps what we got was a good thing in the end.

Having Jack back made this episode enjoyable for me. It was so good to see him again and for a reasonable period on screen this time! A few 'old times' moments were captured with the banter between Jack and Daniel and Sam and Jack in her lab musing over what 'doohicky' and ideas will work the best in the end. Jack's Marcelle Marceau quip to Daniel was priceless!

At least the sense of helplessness and desperation is stepped up in this episode. Whatever anyone does the Ori keep coming. It was also disturbing to see how persuasive Daniel was as a Prior, using the same skills of reasonable argument to win the villagers around to Origin as he did for Earth's cause.

Those Ori ships coming through the supergate at the end, now that's what I call a disheartening moment!

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
          i've always enjoyed the jack and daniel banter, but this one felt kind of forced or something. like they were 'working' to make it funny and bantery, instead of just letting it flow.
          I agree.

Just didn't feel like the banter of old. Plus Jack can be serious when he has to be...too much "funny" banter for me in this one.

Better than last week's episode, but still not quite what I was hoping for from this character story arc....
          IMO always implied.

Comment

Originally posted by betjam View Post
            I needed a scene to bridge me from the last scene we saw of Daniel and Adria. To go from angry Adria holding Daniel captive and not knowing what her plans for him were to them walking and talking around the ship all comfy was too much a leap for me. As Daniel's been missing these few weeks (months?) and SG-1 has been going thru heck themselves, all the time worrying about him, I imagined he was having a tougher time. I needed something to show Daniel/Merlin turning to accept Origin (without giving away whether he was joining Adria or trying to survive/win). I hope I said that right.

well. from adrias point of view, the ascended ancients are wrong, and the ori are right. so all she has to do is educate her view of right.

Daniel and Merlin were both in the same mind, working to 'hide' his thoughts from adria, Merlin knowing how to manipulate things, mainly because he had a very good mental ability, was probally able to 'simulate' in daniels mind, beliving what adria was saying.

basicly, danny was able to 'fake it' good enough for adria to belive it.

but she figured it out in the end tho....
            Homer: WHEN PIGS FLY!...
            (a pig was in a cannon, and got shot accross the town, right were homer can see)

Homer: Doh!

Comment

Originally posted by Krisz View Post
              At least the sense of helplessness and desperation is stepped up in this episode. Whatever anyone does the Ori keep coming. It was also disturbing to see how persuasive Daniel was as a Prior, using the same skills of reasonable argument to win the villagers around to Origin as he did for Earth's cause.

Those Ori ships coming through the supergate at the end, now that's what I call a disheartening moment!
              Yesit was dishartening to see how more effective daniel as a prior was, than their regular ones... As mitchell said he had them litterally eating out of his hand.

It makes me wonder how many more planets he converted..

Comment

[QUOTE=angelfire east;6620759]Watching this episode I was reminding how much I miss and enjoy Jack and Daniel scenes. I love Cameron and Vala but Daniel and Jack are just so fun together

Spoiler Warning:
                I was just thinking the same thing; how great it was to seek Jack and Daniel sparring again. I've missed that so much! (Not that the new team is bad or anything - but the original spark was wonderful.)
                In the "notes" section of "The Shroud" - it mentions that this is the last episode Jack O'Neil will appear in the series. Thankfully, he'll be in (at least one of) the movie(s). I had hopes that he'd be back for the finale or something. Oh well! The movies are better than an ep anyway!

Comment

Originally posted by Keffler View Post
                  What stops Adria from turning her toilet ship around and bringing the weapon back to kill the ancients too?
                  Maybe the weapon is a "one shot deal"? Who knows; also, it might need a special (i.e. very rare) power source (read: more rare than a ZPM). Merlin was pretty smart; he'd rig it someway just in case it fell into the wrong hands. Y'think?

Great ep! It was worth the 6 month wait! I'm going to miss Jack though. (Read "Notes" for The Shroud for more on that.)

Comment

Originally posted by immhotep View Post
                    Ok! What a piece of followup to Quest part 2!
                    Daniel was turned in to a prior under the influence of merlin, then built the weapon for adria in to order to destroy the ancients. He got captured by Earth and said he wanted to destory the Ori by stealing a Ori mothership and sneding it through the supergate.
                    Earth didnt belive him for a little while and jack and daniel had quip exchanges.. oh yeah jack was back, little anti climactic seeing him back IMO, he didnt exactly do much he just sat in a chair or grumbled about how hed been there and missed it...its a promotion jack, get over it.
                    Anyways, in the end SG1 try and do daniels mission for him and daniel knows they cant so he breaks free, threatens woolsey whos abotu to have him deep freezed. They go to the supergate, the deadalus cuts off the wormhole and daniel dials out after fighting Adria, oh yeah shes was on the ship and daniel kicks her ass! she might even be dead. They arm the weapon run aroudn some corridoors and get beamed out, the Sangral does to the Ori galaxy but we dont know if it works, or if it can be turned off so few cliffhangers there. I was on the edge of my seat as it was going through the supergate, i was actually worried sick that adria was going to wake up and stop the ship and the device would wipeout the ancients.
                    Anyway at the end the supergate reopened because its not being dial-blocked by pegasus and through came 7 Ori ships, if i counted right, so we have 9 in the galaxy now. Because 1 got sent back through..

Thats the Shroud, it was a great episode but a bit anticlimactic at points, but we have killed the Ori if the plan worked! So Woot!
                    O.k. Stupid question #1:
                    Why didn't they close the Supergate again after they sent the Ori ship through with the Sangraal on it? We had to have known that there was a threat - that's why the wormhole was there in the first place(?). Just wondering... Although it's fairly obvious that the Ori couldn't have come through (and cause some serious concern for following eps) if they had put the wormhole back in action.

Great ep all 'round; I wish Jack was back, though!

Comment

Originally posted by rnwhocares View Post
                      Ok , for everyone who has seen the episode-What is the great sacrifice Jack was supposed to have made?
                      SPOILER WARNING:
                      Jack opened the wormhole; it was ultimately his decision (as the highest authority) whether to believe Daniel or not and give the authorization to the Dedalus to remove the safety off of the Ori supergate (so that the Sangral could go through and destroy the Ascended Ori).

That's my understanding anyway; that's why Daniel is begging him towards the end about it.

Comment

:lol Adria/Baccarin looked gorgeous ......woohooo..
                        Now if they would only get Lam/Lexa in a scene with Adria in the future
                        it would have been perfect......

Knew Jackson would save the day......no suprise there....
                        Actor:"A zombie has no will of his own. You see them sometimes, walking around blindly with dead eyes. Following orders." Not knowing what they do, not caring."Bob Hope :" You mean like Democrats?"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWpU8...elated&search=Bob Hope in the movie ghostbreakers.

Comment

Originally posted by Kliggins View Post
                          I did like the Star Trek uniform that Daniel was wearing on Adria's ship.
                          Ben Browder on who'd win a fight, Mitchell or Critchon..."Cameron would have the upper hand until Aeryn kicked his ass."

Comment

I don't think it is so wrong in and of itself. But encouraging him to use her mom's attraction to him to help "save" Vala and then kissing him herself??? The combination is just sick. I think a Daniel/Adria ship might be good. I would like to see him turn her . But you can't have both a Daniel/Adria ship and a Daniel/Vala ship. Being involved with the mother and the daughter is unnatural.
                            Last edited by Liam Kincaid; 06 May 2007, 03:51 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Lovely episode really enjoyed it. Terrific team episode, snappy dialog, great special effects, wonderful lighting, beautiful music...sublime.

Awesome to have Jack back! And so cool that his interaction was a key element to the plot, and not just window dressing.

I anticipated more of Merlin in Daniel, until I reconciled it with the fact that Merlin was OLD, and dying, when he transferred his consciousness into Daniel. And with what Merlin's been doing over the past several weeks - hiding himself from Adria to fool her while protecting Daniel, it was probably best that Merlin didn't assert himself that much through Daniel, to conserve his energy.

Also, Shanks appeared to have problems acting through all the makeup. Perhaps it's not something he's used to doing, as most of his roles don't require changing his appearance that drastically. Shanks tends towards exuberance and demonstrative physicality.

Watching the actors that we've seen on Stargate, for example Dion Johnstone and Alex Zahara, who portray aliens and act through tons of makeup and/or prosthetics, their acting techniques tends to be more focused and refined.

RDA was superb, with great timing and cosmic snark. Jack knows his team and understands their strengths, dispatching Teal'c to expertly interrogate Daniel and get to the heart of the nagging question as to why Daniel was a Prior. And accepting Cam's plan to go after the Saangral themselves was delightful.

Crazy!

Whacko!

I think the weapon did work, and the Ori were eliminated. We've never actually seen an Ori, just the Doci, an Orici, and the priors, so it was NOT necessary to show the weapon work.

Wondering why the supergate wasn't destroyed as well. Perhaps if the episode was a two parter, or 90 minutes long, they would have had time to take care of that problem as well. Also wondered why Adria wasn't taken prisoner, but then maybe they have learned their lesson from Khalek.

Loved the scene with Jack and Sam in Sam's lab. They looked...comfortable with each other.

Question though...if the Ori have been destroyed, where do the Priors draw their power? Are their powers replenished as well from the power received from worshippers?

And the anti-prior device looked vaguely like the Jupiter II. LOL!

Oh, in reading other posts, someone wondered why Jack referred to Landry as "sir" at the SGC. I don't think Jack's "sir" was used as an honorific, more of an acknowledgement to Landry for his concern. Mid-westerners are like that.

Morjana

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
                              SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
                              Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by helio9 View Post
                                It took a while, but I finally figured out you meant 4 stars and not, you know, ****, or ****, or even ****.

Overall I liked this episode. It puts an end in sight for the Ori at least.

A couple details I noticed were that Daniel didnt have the failsafe thing that Gerak did that caused him to self-destruct when he betrayed the Ori. You would think they would have included that.
                                I noticed that too. I think it is a major plot hole. Unless they come up with some way to explain it.

The whole Merlin DNA angle doesn't explain it because Daniel betrayed the Ori way before it was time for him to change back. But maybe something else about Merlin explains it.

Or maybe Daniel really is loyal to Adria?

A third possible explanation is that the Ori might be afraid to kill Daniel. I can definately envision an ascended Daniel provoking the Ancients ( or enough of them ) into doing what they need to do to stop the Ori.

I think that this plot hole is major enough to deserve its own thread, but I'm afraid to try to start one. Ascended Beings and Gateworld Mods are pretty strict about their rules.
                                Last edited by Liam Kincaid; 06 May 2007, 03:48 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Working...
                                X