No announcement yet.

Flesh And Blood (1001)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The rescue of Sam could have gone horribly, horribly wrong. Even Sam, whom I would consider an expert on these things, thought it was incredibly risky. I'm willing to fanwank that Mitchell was willing to take the chance to save Sam and didn't want anyone else to have the guilt if it didn't work and Sam didn't make it. Maybe he even thought that Sam might breathe a little easier knowing that the person at the helm had a vested interest in saving her: friends, teammates, genuine respect.

I thought it was a great episode and look forward to many exciting episodes in season 10!!!

Comment

How did Daniel know that the last shot to hit the Korelev was the finishing blow? Seems to me he decided to jump ship as soon as he felt a little rumble.

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
        Just wanted to chime in and agree with the assessment that the Landry/Woolsey scene made Landry look more like a doofus than anything.

And I like Robert Picardo on the series, too, WFAR.

Daniel's desire to shoot the girl... It's definitely not in line with The Daniel of Old, and that's unfortunate. Daniel can't be the understanding, transparent, moral base anymore for some reason. I don't know why. I mean, if he isn't, who WILL be?

But I think that's all in line with the beefing up of all of the male characters.

By Atlantis' 100th episode, McKay will have abs of steel. Mark my words
        Just sayin', McKay - abs of steel - brrrrr!
        (Aw, just playin'!)
        MISSION: STARGATE REWATCH 2011-2012 ENGAGED DONE!
        sigpic
        Beware Helen Magnus - Doctor of A$$-Kicking

Comment

Originally posted by shaqarava
          How did Daniel know that the last shot to hit the Korelev was the finishing blow? Seems to me he decided to jump ship as soon as he felt a little rumble.
          Uh... Sparks were flying and ships were disintegrating all over the place. Their more-powerful allies were even bailing. They'd been getting their butts kicked for a long time. That's hardly "a little rumble."

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
            Uh... Sparks were flying and ships were disintegrating all over the place. Their more-powerful allies were even bailing. They'd been getting their butts kicked for a long time. That's hardly "a little rumble."
            But the sparks that were flying in the rings room weren't that more severe than those on the bridge moments earlier before being hit. There was still nothing to suggest that the damage the ship took at that moment would be THE finishing blow.

Comment

Wasn't the nuke about to go off or something? (that's why there was a huuuge shockwave following Cam's 302)

Comment

Originally posted by Fargater
                The only thing that bothered me in the ep was Mitchell taking the controls from that other guy to rescue Sam. So he has more experience flying one of those than the guy whose job it is? When did he get that experience? I get that Our Heroes have to be involved in everything, but it would have been enough to be encouraging or whatever and just be THERE. Eh, it`s a nitpick. It doesn`t seem to have bothered anyone else from what I`ve read so far.
                Well I admit that scene made me roll my eyes. Mitchell could have shown just as much leadership by giving Emerson a pep talk and patting him on the back with a "good job" when he brought Sam in to safety.

I also didn't care much for the Mitchell/Bra'tac scenes at the end. Mainly because I thought Teal'c was cheated out of a fine scene with Bra'tac. I wanted Teal'c to be the hero in that scene.

One of those intense........ "I know how you feel old friend.....but we may yet find a way to free our world - today is not a good day to die" scenes. I mean FCOL, Teal'c hardly gets any lines as it is and they take away his big scene with a guest actor that usually brings out CJ's finest performances!

BUT...BUT....in spite of my nitpicks with those two scenes I thought Mitchell was generally pretty good in this episode.

Or maybe I'm just becoming to used to one or two Mitchell "hero" moments in every episode.
                Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

I decided to put aside my utter dislike of the Ori and watch the season opener. I must say it came out of the gate very strong. But after the Sam rescue sequence the quality got a bit uneven, to put it mildly.

Good points:

The beginning, where we get a flashback to what happened and how Cam survives. Very nicely done.

Sam drifting in space, and her rescue. The writers should get extra points for originality on this one. But I do have a question. If she is adrift, she is in motion, right? Couldn't Cam have just "parked" the ship near her and let her float into the hangar?

Daniel "dead" again. My husband and I nearly fell off the sofa laughing at that one!

Every scene with Vala in it. Claudia Black is soooo good. From the episodes I watched last season, I felt that Vala jokes around to hide a lot of pain. I don't know if that's true, but that's what I picked up from the character, and that's what I think was going on here. Claiming she named Adria after her wicked stepmother sounded very fairy tale-ish.

Vala's husband, whatsisface.

Daniel making it onto the Ori ship. That was interesting. Loved all his scenes.

Those girls that played Adria were great!

Bra'tac!

The bad:

I thought Cam just taking things over on Emerson's ship was a little odd.

Originally posted by ChillinTheMost
                  The rescue of Sam could have gone horribly, horribly wrong. Even Sam, whom I would consider an expert on these things, thought it was incredibly risky. I'm willing to fanwank that Mitchell was willing to take the chance to save Sam and didn't want anyone else to have the guilt if it didn't work and Sam didn't make it. Maybe he even thought that Sam might breathe a little easier knowing that the person at the helm had a vested interest in saving her: friends, teammates, genuine respect.
                  That could have worked. I wished they had shown us that, though, rather than requiring us to fill in the blanks. As it was Cam just displacing the guy bothered me, but I rationalized it by saying the writers wanted to put the regular character in the spotlight. But it would have been nice to have an "in story" reason for that. Still, I'm giving the writers high points for originality on the Sam rescue.

The Teal'c torture, the whole Luscian Alliance thing. It was just bad.

And let me beat a dead horse: The last second beam outs. Bad, bad, bad.

Suicidal Bra'tac. Huh? And why were Teal'c and Bra'tac just standing there like wood in that scene? C'mon, speak, guys, speak! Get this scene to make sense! And why was Cam sneaking the locater onto Bra'tac instead of just handing it to him? Did he somehow know that Bra'tac wanted to die and would refuse the Inevitable Last Second Before Death Beam Out? To tell you the truth, this whole bit with Bra'tac bothered me more than anything else.

I'd say that when this episode was good, it was very,very good. And when it was bad, it was horrid.
                  Last edited by OutThere; 18 July 2006, 08:09 PM.

Comment

I thought it was a great episode and look forward to many exciting episodes in season 10!!!
                    Ah, THANKS for this! This is an explanation that makes sense.

But like Out There said, it would have been better to have an "in story" reason instead of requiring us to fill in the blanks.
                    Fargater (n.) A Farscape fan who got curious about Stargate SG-1 on learning BB and CB would be joining, belatedly discovered the greatness of Stargate SG-1 in reruns, and who is now a happy fan of both shows.

Comment

I enjoyed F & B and thought it an entertaining episode that had a good balance of action for all the characters. I liked Mitchell's serious, take charge attitude throughout. The 2 things that stood out for me:

The special effect used to retrieve Carter. That was totally cool -- I have watched lots of scifi and have never seen that done before. Kudos writers and cgi staff for coming up with an imaginative, unique sequence. Also, the splicing together of elements of that scene was very well done, including both Mitchell's and Carter's sense of the delicate nature of what was being attempted.

Secondly, the children who portrayed the advanced, aging Orici. Those scenes were beautifully filmed -- all three child actresses were suitably creepy as hosts to the ancient ascended being and its pursuit of galactic domination. The lighting, filming, and dialogue were all wonderfully done.

Comment

I enjoyed the episode except for the bit when mitchell brings carter into the ship that bit was terrible it was just mitchell showing off

Comment

Originally posted by DRHOUSE
                          I enjoyed the episode except for the bit when mitchell brings carter into the ship that bit was terrible it was just mitchell showing off
                          ''Oh no, one of my closest friends is stuck in space and running out of air fast. Now how can I show off my skills as a pilot??''

Comment

Originally posted by Jonzey
                            ''Oh no, one of my closest friends is stuck in space and running out of air fast. Now how can I show off my skills as a pilot??''
                            "I know! Yo, Marks! Move!"

Comment

That is how I saw the scene as well... I can't believe so many people are upset by that scene. I never even saw/thought of it as a way for Mitchell to "show off" his flying ability.

I saw it as a very risky manuever that he didn't want to ask Marks to make... If he did let Marks pilot the vessel and Marks did hit Carter and killed her then who's fault is it? It would be Marks... it would completely end his career as a pilot. Not to mention the fact that he is responsible for killing "a legend" as all SG-1 are... and the planet's expert on Stargate technology.

If Mitchell took over, if anything happened it would all fall on him. I certainly didn't see it as... "Ohh I'm the best pilot on the ship, let me do it!" and I certainly would never have thought of that if I didn't read the forums.

I simply saw it as a way to let Marks off the hook incase anything bad happened...

Ace
                              "Good Morning Dr. Silberman. How's the knee?" - Sarah Connor 1994

Comment

While I thought the sequence imaginative and unique to scifi, and I still do -- my first thought of course was -- how stupid was the original scenario that sent Carter out in space without a hookable tether line or simple propellent device? As I've said -- I have watched a lot of scifi. eh...I'm still giving points for the entire sequence. It would have been better thought out if Marks had been injured and not in the pilot's seat -- but this show isn't the best written one I've ever watched so I always cut it major slack. I love Mitchell in charge -- so the writers should have handled the set-up better. IMO

Comment

Working...
                                X