sigpic
    Mourning Sanctuary.
    Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Aye for me and Fluffy says Ayrf...
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rogue View Post
        Exactly. The team aspect of SG-1 is gone. If you don't care for Vala, or Daniel or RCC current favorite shipping pair Vaniel, there is really nothing for you. I am puzzled as to why TPTB would alienate fan bases. I would think with out RDA, TPTB would have wanted to capitalize on the other fan bases to keep the show a float while the new characters are introduced and accepted.
        The team aspect...exactly. You could have good team stuff with this particular team, if you wanted to. You know what I base that on? fan fic, of all things. I've read enough fan fic to know that these characters can interact in an interesting and engaging way, given the chance.

I'm not even a fan of "Vaniel" because I think when they fall into that pattern it makes both characters less interesting, not more. I'm intrigued by the Adria/Vala potential maybe because I like that particular mother/daughter thing in a lot of stories. Maybe because it brings out a different, semi-serious, oh, god, what have I wrought, kind of Vala.

I really think if the other characters interacted more with each other, especially Vala/Carter and daniel/Mitchell, a lot of cool things could happen (no, not THAT kind of thing )

All who agree its bad writting that cause the downfall of SG-1 post 'AYE!'
        Aye. These characters just didn't walk in off the street. Writers created them and wrote them. Actors were hired to play the characters they've created. Ultimately, it has to fall on the writers. Maybe what they ought to do is a writing exercise where all five characters are locked in somewhere. No bad guys. No explosions. No guns. Just five people in a room and trapped. I think that's the kind of thing where characterization's gonna happen whether you want it to or not.
        Last edited by esoap524; 22 December 2006, 06:28 AM.

Comment

and i bet you that they can't do it.

they are so used to teh crutch of 'super special guest star of the week' 'scantily clad alien babe' 'ooh, look at the shiny space ship' that they literally CAN'T write character interactions anymore

they can't think creatively and get the heros out of trouble without using some plot device (beaming, transponders, you name it, they've created a plethora of get out of death free cards....where's the drama in that?)
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Basically The writters are using the usually rating rising device of guest stars to get ratings rather then the extremely good characters and situations they used during the first seasons.

Cam i.e Ben Browder because he is a guest star, or is a famed Sci fi actor, they feel they should utterly depend on him and Claudia to help ratings without nothing behind it. So when they say "lets give them these two really good actors especially Ben and put them in really important situations so we can boost ratings" they are actually shoving them into our faces and accidentally fading out the characters we love.

If they can have Claudia and Ben in Stargate as well as an even amount of attention on each character in each situation, then you'd have a winner
            sigpic
            Spoiler:
            President of the 'AFTU Writers Association'
            President of the 'Count to 15,000 Legends' club
            Forum Charmer
            Forum Ambassador
            Prince of The Hugglings

CURA STORY LINE, ATFU Pg 53 - Pg 804 (751pages)
            VAMPIRE STORYLINE PT1, AFTU Pg 804 - 912
            VAMPIRE STORYLINE PT 2, AFTU - Pg 855

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
              and i bet you that they can't do it.

they are so used to teh crutch of 'super special guest star of the week' 'scantily clad alien babe' 'ooh, look at the shiny space ship' that they literally CAN'T write character interactions anymore

they can't think creatively and get the heros out of trouble without using some plot device (beaming, transponders, you name it, they've created a plethora of get out of death free cards....where's the drama in that?)
              The lack of good support characters is also a problem. Both Jacob and Janet were great support characters. They added alot to the show. But in TPTB wisdom, they killed both off. The new support characters are bland and flat. Lam came off as a spoilt little girl with Daddy issues and they have turned Baal into a joke.
              Odo's last wishes: cremate me, put me in my bucket, then shoot me through the wormhole.

Rogue

Comment

Baal is seen too much I think. If he was shown in specific episodes and did certain things, I'd feel he'd make a better character. And the fact every other goa'uld has been defeat so easily and baal hasn't doesn't really match up to me.
                sigpic
                Spoiler:
                Forum Charmer
                Forum Ambassador
                Prince of The Hugglings

Comment

cloning ba'al was that one step too much

they took a great villian. one that wasn't purely evil, but couldn't be trusted either, and turned him into a joke just so they could show off those 'oh so cool' effects of a room full of ba'al's

Just like in RE, they wasted the opportunity to deal with janet's death in favor of 'look, it's a room full of carters!!!!!!!!!'

lose the effects boys, give us some emotional meat to sink our teeth into.

maybe they like teh effects so much because it's less story for them to write. they just insert 'put cool effects here' into the scripts and let rainmaker or some other company do their job for them
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Cloning Ba'al was great idea, IMO And as for the TEAM... everybody and nobody at the same time... BORING.
                    T.S.G.D - The StarGate SG-1 Defenders

StargateSg1.com/Farscapefan1

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                      cloning ba'al was that one step too much

they took a great villian. one that wasn't purely evil, but couldn't be trusted either, and turned him into a joke just so they could show off those 'oh so cool' effects of a room full of ba'al's

Just like in RE, they wasted the opportunity to deal with janet's death in favor of 'look, it's a room full of carters!!!!!!!!!'

lose the effects boys, give us some emotional meat to sink our teeth into.

maybe they like teh effects so much because it's less story for them to write. they just insert 'put cool effects here' into the scripts and let rainmaker or some other company do their job for them
                      Totally agree. I think the multiple Ba'al's is very tiring. The goa'uld that tortured Jack, killed him repeatedly, is now just a well-dressed joke with an accent. Do they think it's interesting/thrilling for us to guess whether the Ba'al we saw is the real one or a clone? It really loses impact when they repeat this nonsense. Kind of like Daniel and his free get out of death card.

Comment

Stargate is now southpark and Ba'al is kenny.
                        Stargate is worse however because it USED to be good and it USED to be a serious team based scifi show.
                        Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by Farscapefan View Post
                          Cloning Ba'al was great idea, IMO And as for the TEAM... everybody and nobody at the same time... BORING.
                          Well I can understand how you might think that a team means everybody and nobody seeing as you only watch S9 &10 sunshine. The team has only been boring since they decided that a team show is 'Oh look all 5 appear in the episode and there's Cambo and Bimbo and Vaniel'. Unfortunately your preference for S9&10 is boring and chased away all the viewers.
                          -

Comment

Originally posted by Hubble View Post
                            Totally agree. I think the multiple Ba'al's is very tiring. The goa'uld that tortured Jack, killed him repeatedly, is now just a well-dressed joke with an accent. Do they think it's interesting/thrilling for us to guess whether the Ba'al we saw is the real one or a clone? It really loses impact when they repeat this nonsense. Kind of like Daniel and his free get out of death card.
                            When they cloned him, they dilluted his evilness and his power. Now he is just another water downed bad guy.
                            Odo's last wishes: cremate me, put me in my bucket, then shoot me through the wormhole.

Rogue

Comment

Originally posted by Farscapefan View Post
                              Unfortunately, this is an ENSEMBLE show - which means a *team* of players - not just one or two.
                              sigpic

Comment

I like vala, and Cam...sometimes . But I like the whole team together and working and expressing themselves together. Not just one or two of the characters
                                sigpic
                                Spoiler:
                                Forum Charmer
                                Forum Ambassador
                                Prince of The Hugglings

Comment

Working...
                                X