This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GateGipsy View Post
    I love her, and I also love the actor Claudia Black. I think she really makes the show for me this season. But I do think she's the sort of character you're either going to love or hate - she's not a by halves sort of person!
    I love the actor's talent. Claudia is a very diverse, very consumate artist. And I don't mind Vala, as far as characters go, anymore. She's no longer a a blatant excuse for a stereotypical sexpot. She's got moxy in season ten and I'd like to see even more of it. But one thing I'm still not sold on is Vala being a principle character for SG-1. Moot point now that the series is kaput, I suppose, however I still find her too OTT, too much of a scene-stealer-presence to be a primary member of the team on an ongoing basis. At least not in my (personal choice for a) preferred SG-1 universe. SG-1 was always more subtle than that. They were more grounded in elements of reality, which was an aspect of the series I loved. Involving the occasional OTT character is great for a guest or even a recurring guest role, but not (IMHO, again) for a primary member of the team. That team needs to be the baseline for what makes sense (and science), militarily or otherwise, not what makes for cheap humor. Vala's not a bad character, she just doesn't belong on the front-line of SG-1, IMHO (once again). Not in her current incarnation at any rate. It's a pretty unbelievable scenario overall.

geek

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
    ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Totally agree up to the point about her being a member of the team. I think really they should have done away with the idea of static teams anyway, and called the show something else. I don't find it plausible that Vala would be a member of SG1 where someone like Nyan wasn't. Although, she was a host so has the advantage of a lot of Goa'uld knowledge. But the Goa'uld just aren't the threat they used to be.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek View Post
        I love the actor's talent. Claudia is a very diverse, very consumate artist. And I don't mind Vala, as far as characters go, anymore. She's no longer a a blatant excuse for a stereotypical sexpot. She's got moxy in season ten and I'd like to see even more of it. But one thing I'm still not sold on is Vala being a principle character for SG-1. Moot point now that the series is kaput, I suppose, however I still find her too OTT, too much of a scene-stealer-presence to be a primary member of the team on an ongoing basis. At least not in my (personal choice for a) preferred SG-1 universe. SG-1 was always more subtle than that. They were more grounded in elements of reality, which was an aspect of the series I loved. Involving the occasional OTT character is great for a guest or even a recurring guest role, but not (IMHO, again) for a primary member of the team. That team needs to be the baseline for what makes sense (and science), militarily or otherwise, not what makes for cheap humor. Vala's not a bad character, she just doesn't belong on the front-line of SG-1, IMHO (once again). Not in her current incarnation at any rate. It's a pretty unbelievable scenario overall.

geek
        i agree that claudia is a good actor. but i also feel that her being on the team, as a full fledged, full time member is yet more pushing the line of believabilty.

Just a couple of years ago, Jack wouldn't let a decorated soviet officer be lead a team, much less be on sg1, cause he had zero experience and jack didn't trust him. all 'jack doesn't like russians' aside, it USED to be that the SGC was made up of the best and the brightest. That it was a posting that folks worked for and were honored to get.

but now with cam and especially with vala...hey, apparantly ANYONE can join. ya just gotta have the right friends.

vala HAD potential. It's hard to say that she HAS potential because i have little faith in the B@B redeeming her in the remaining 10 episodes. It'd require more work than they seem willing to put out.

Vala is just another huge wasted opportunity. she could have been so great and in depth. we could FINALLY explore the ramifications of an ex-host. dealing with losing a huge chunk of your life. she could be using her contarcts to help sg1 - course her contacts as a host tie back to that 'old and boring' goa'uld storyline, so the writers, in their obsession with the ori, did pretty much cut the rug out from under vala from her inception

Under coop's 'fine' tuteledge, vala will never be more than pretty scenery adn a wasted opportunity, just like cameron.

teh two characters that coudl have revitalized the show and set up to carry it forward for more years, will instead just be there and filling space because the writers did not take the time to make them real. they seemed to do little more than to count on the 'big names' of the two replacements and were content to just let those names let them coast.

the writers took the easy way out and the show has died of neglect
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I must admit, as much as I love Vala as a character in Stargate SG-1 and seeing her interact with the other characters. My primitive earth brain can't process how and how quickly she managed to get to the SGC's top team - it's mostly just a blur of episodes and un-answered questions.

It leads me to agree that there has been some bad writing

I'll have to put the writers blame day in my diary

*writes in diary with primitive earth brain*
          sigpic
          Spoiler:
          President of the 'AFTU Writers Association'
          President of the 'Count to 15,000 Legends' club
          Forum Charmer
          Forum Ambassador
          Prince of The Hugglings

CURA STORY LINE, ATFU Pg 53 - Pg 804 (751pages)
          VAMPIRE STORYLINE PT1, AFTU Pg 804 - 912
          VAMPIRE STORYLINE PT 2, AFTU - Pg 855

Comment

Originally posted by GateGipsy View Post
            Totally agree up to the point about her being a member of the team. I think really they should have done away with the idea of static teams anyway, and called the show something else. I don't find it plausible that Vala would be a member of SG1 where someone like Nyan wasn't. Although, she was a host so has the advantage of a lot of Goa'uld knowledge. But the Goa'uld just aren't the threat they used to be.
            Uhmm... ability to use Goau'ld healing device? This ability is universal and sometimes can be the only help.
            T.S.G.D - The StarGate SG-1 Defenders

StargateSg1.com/Farscapefan1

Comment

Originally posted by Farscapefan View Post
              Uhmm... ability to use Goau'ld healing device? This ability is universal and sometimes can be the only help.
              sam can do that. so it's hardly unique to the team

(trivia for folks, in PU, vala's 'healing device'??? it was a reuse of a prop. it was originally the Canon's ring in Demons. and it is kinda sad that they didn't realize or didn't care that they were reusing such a recognizable prop)

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ACharmedAsgard View Post
                I must admit, as much as I love Vala as a character in Stargate SG-1 and seeing her interact with the other characters. My primitive earth brain can't process how and how quickly she managed to get to the SGC's top team - it's mostly just a blur of episodes and un-answered questions.

It leads me to agree that there has been some bad writing

I'll have to put the writers blame day in my diary

*writes in diary with primitive earth brain*
                1) Sacrificing herself while destroying the first Supergate
                2) Telling SG-1 about planning crusade from the Ori
                3) SAVING DANIEL'S LIFE taking herself a shot aimed at him. For which he even didn't say THANK YOU, btw

If these 3 reasons are not good enough reason for her to deserve a place on SG-1 team, then I think I'm probably watching completly different show. BTW, I don't agree the writing is bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Crow T. Robot View Post
                  Hmmm….. I wonder where we MST 3000 fans of impeccable taste would fit?
                  hey, someone else taht remembers that show. mst3k is hysterical.

what's sad??? s9 and 10 could be very easily mocked, like those cheesy shows of years ago.

sigpic

Comment

And that helps us against the Ori how?!?
                    Cause as long as I can remember it didn't do a thing...

And Sam also can use it because of Jolinar so...we don't need Vala for that

Comment

3) SAVING DANIEL'S LIFE taking herself a shot aimed at him. For which he even didn't say THANK YOU, btw

If these 3 reasons are not good enough reason for her to deserve a place on SG-1 team, then I think I'm probably watching completly different show. BTW, I don't agree the writing is bad.
                      Ok yeah she did great things for the team...but that isn't why she deserves a place on SG-1...
                      She also lied, decived, stolen,...

I mean they know her hardly and immediatly they trust her...I don't get that...in the first few eps of season 9...she wasn't someone I want on any team of SG...than she did a few good things...but do you trust someone like that immediatly...I don't...and IMO I don't think the SGC would do that...and that is why I think they wrote that whole part so wrong...
                      But that is only how I see it

Comment

Fair enough, but you have to realise that the US Airforce isn't exactly the fastest working organisation and it would take a while to allow an ex enemy to get to such a prize position. Those points would definatly gain her favour in many ways but not to such an extent. I actually really love Vala being on the show and enjoy watching her (Very Funny ) but I feel the show could of made her acceptance more realistic.

And don't worry, I'm not saying all the writings bad - some of it's really really good but some areas could of been improved
                        Last edited by ACharmedAsgard; 10 November 2006, 10:52 AM.
                        sigpic
                        Spoiler:
                        Forum Charmer
                        Forum Ambassador
                        Prince of The Hugglings

Comment

Originally posted by ACharmedAsgard View Post
                          Fair enough, but you have to realise that the US Airforce isn't exactly the fastest working organisation and it would take a while to allow an ex enemy to get to such a prize position. Those points would definatly gain her favour in many ways but not to such an extent. I actually really love Vala being on the show and enjoy watching her (Very Funny ) but I feel the show could of made her acceptance more realistic.
                          Uhm... just when I clicked the submit button with my original response, the evil mods have taken this thread to HOUSEKEEPING

I just want to say that it is realistic. And you as you said "ex enemy", but the good question is was Vala really an enemy in Prometheus Unbound episode? Did she kill anybody? The girl just needed a ship to trade... c'mon.

Plus, we don't know how much time passed between the events in Flesh and Blood episode and Morpheus. It could have been weeks, month, 2 months... If you remember Morpheus episode, Vala is on the probation period on SGC, she's not SG-1 member. It's taking SOME TIME. She's not SG-1 member in Pegasus Project, not in Insiders, not in etc., etc., etc, until... BTW, what is the reason for us (humans) to be such the ungrateful *******s if you think that saving the galaxy is not enough to accept Vala on the team?

Comment

Ok, granted. Perhaps "foil" would have been a better word than "enemy". However, she was hardly an ally.
                            Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

I just want to say that it is realistic. And you as you said "ex enemy", but the good question is was Vala really an enemy in Prometheus Unbound episode? Did she kill anybody? The girl just needed a ship to trade... c'mon.
                              ok, so me and a bus full of my friends are driving across the desert. it's hot and we don't have that much food/water with us, but that's cause we're not planning to spend any time, we're just passing through. and we see a stalled car, stop to render assistance, are overpowered, knocked out and left behind in the middle of said desert, with limited to no supplies while this person steals our bus cause she really needs to sell it to make some money

but it's ok for her to leave us in a life threatening situation cause, you know, she really, really needs that money.

dunno bout the justice system in your country, but round here a good case could be made for multiple counts of attempted murder and assault

sigpic

Comment

Uhm... just when I clicked the submit button with my original response, the evil mods have taken this thread to HOUSEKEEPING

Plus, we don't know how much time passed between the events in Flesh and Blood episode and Morpheus. It could have been weeks, month, 2 months... If you remember Morpheus episode, Vala is on the probation period on SGC, she's not SG-1 member. It's taking SOME TIME. She's not SG-1 member in Pegasus Project, not in Insiders, not in etc., etc., etc, until... BTW, what is the reason for us (humans) to be such the ungrateful *******s if you think that saving the galaxy is not enough to accept Vala on the team?
                                Saving the Galaxy is one hell of a noble thing, I agree totally with that statement. But the milatery or airforce gives awards and promotions for that, not turning an alien theif who is no part of that organisation into a member of one of it's leading teams.
                                Last edited by ACharmedAsgard; 10 November 2006, 02:54 PM.
                                sigpic
                                Spoiler:
                                Forum Charmer
                                Forum Ambassador
                                Prince of The Hugglings

Comment

Working...
                                X