Dig at Sci-Fi (E18 - Family Ties) - Spoilers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ouroboros View Post
    No one had to be convinced of anything when the show moved to sci-fi. The audience grew larger simply because the sci-fi network had a larger overall audience, and a larger number of people likely to be watching it at any given time who would be interested in stargate.
    Even if you're right, that still amounts to new people checking out the show way into the series. You believe advertising at this point would be useless because people won't be interested in watching an old show they haven't been following - I believe the fact that the ratings increased after the move to SciFi, whatever the reason, proves otherwise.
    Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
      First the first time it was in danger was season 5(showtime). Season 6 was 100% done before renewal, seasons 7,8,9 they knew they were renewed before seasons end.
      No. They concluded season 8 thinkign this was the end. Got the notificatino of the renewal on... late November or early December, methinks, when they wrapped up production in October. Same for season 9 - they ended it with a cliffhanger because they got tired of ending the show, not because they were so sure of renewal.
      Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
      Yes, I am!
      sigpic
      Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
      Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
      Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

First the first time it was in danger was season 5(showtime). Season 6 was 100% done before renewal, seasons 7,8,9 they knew they were renewed before seasons end. Also you really can't count wrestling since it's technically a sport. Power Rangers doesnt count either since every 3 or 4 years it's a new spinoff. but I see your point on Gunsmoke those days are long gone. Sg-1 had a great run and IMO season 8 was a great season and easily could have been the finale but seasons 9 and 10 have been equally as good imo. MGM believed what they asked was reasonable but scfi thought otherwise. It was scifi that wanted it to stay Sg-1. I see your point though I still love that little dig at scifi mainly b/c of how poorly they handled the situation.
        Pfff, it's about as much as a sport as Eastenders!

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
          Pfff, it's about as much as a sport as Eastenders!
          That's why I said technically. I personally hate wrestling, but I definalty wouldnt call it a serialized tv show either.
          Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
          "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
          Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Pitry View Post
            No. They concluded season 8 thinkign this was the end. Got the notificatino of the renewal on... late November or early December, methinks, when they wrapped up production in October. Same for season 9 - they ended it with a cliffhanger because they got tired of ending the show, not because they were so sure of renewal.
            I'll have to do do research but they knew in mid season for both. They decided on ending season 8 in a way that it could be the series finale simple b/c RDA wanted out. Just in case they couldnt successfully bring in a new male lead.

Comment

Originally posted by Ugly Pig View Post
              Except, they really did make the network what it is. When SG-1 moved to SciFi, it reached ratings numbers that SciFi could only dream of before, and put the channel on the map. SG-1 then went on the stay their highest rated show for several years.

It was canceled because it became too expensive. It became too expensive because it was ten years old. The perceived lack of quality in the writing (which is a perception I strongly disagree with, by the way) had nothing to do with it.
              Beside actor salaries what is the difference between the budgets for Atlantis and SG-1? They have to be pretty similiar. If SG1 is going to get cancelled because they're too expensive Atlantis can't be far behind.

Btw this episode was just plain silly. It's the epitome of what's wrong with the writing. How can you run an episode like this so close to the finale?

Comment

Originally posted by Krichton View Post
                Beside actor salaries what is the difference between the budgets for Atlantis and SG-1? They have to be pretty similiar. If SG1 is going to get cancelled because they're too expensive Atlantis can't be far behind.

Btw this episode was just plain silly. It's the epitome of what's wrong with the writing. How can you run an episode like this so close to the finale?
                Everything was more expensive, the cg, the salaries etc. Atlantis is cheaper simply b/c it is newer. I think this was a neat ep and it fit in well.

Comment

Originally posted by Krichton View Post

I'd say the actors on SG-1 get payed alot more than the ones on Atlantis.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                    I'd say the actors on SG-1 get payed alot more than the ones on Atlantis.
                    Way more considering they have worked alot longer.

Comment

Originally posted by Ouroboros View Post
                      Seriously, how many people that don't already know about it after it's been on for a decade would actually be interested in starting to watch it now?
                      I didn't start watching any Star Trek until Season 6 of Voyager. I guess by your token of logic, I must've never been interested in the show... Which is why I bought the DVDs...

Comment

I'll have to do do research but they knew in mid season for both. They decided on ending season 8 in a way that it could be the series finale simple b/c RDA wanted out. Just in case they couldnt successfully bring in a new male lead.
                        Erm, sorry, no. I was following renewal news very closely at that time.
                        I think you're thinking season 8's renewal - that they found out as early as August, methinks. But they didn't find out about season 9 well after they finished shooting seaosn 8. You might be thinking about Michael Greenburg's interview where he said he felt Stargate could go on to season 15 or someting to that extant.... but he said so without knowing anything. They speculatedthey'd get renewed - but they didn't know for sure, not til way after they finished shooting.
                        Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
                        Yes, I am!
                        sigpic
                        Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                        Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
                        Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

I noticed the dig too. i laughed out loud and my parents looked at me weird. Good writing!
                          Director/Editor/Writer

Comment

Originally posted by AnotherEvilAlien View Post
                            I didn't start watching any Star Trek until Season 6 of Voyager. I guess by your token of logic, I must've never been interested in the show... Which is why I bought the DVDs...
                            So did you get into it because of network advertising you saw on sci-fi?

I'm betting not.

I got into it late myself but it was through word of mouth and because I found a way to watch all the episodes I'd missed very quickly. (several seasons worth).

At that point in time though I'd already formed my opinion about stargate and no amount of advertising was going to sway me. The only thing that did was the ease of availability of the episodes on that website and a moment of boredom. Oddly enough the website was shut down shortly after because it was allegedly harmful, wrong, evil blah blah blah profits. I wonder how many other people it recruited into watching Stargate before the usual short-sighted goons knee-jerked it into oblivion.

Also getting back to the topic of digs did anyone catch that one about "dancing with the stars" in the recent SG1 episode. What was the deal with that, what do they have against dancing with the stars now... aside from the obvious of course.

Comment

Working...
                            X