Dig at Sci-Fi (E18 - Family Ties) - Spoilers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lloydje View Post
    Not really an amazing episode but did anyone get the dig they made about the Sci-Fi channel dropping it at about 28mins between Carter and Vala's dad?

Spoiler:
    Vala's Dad: I'm a bit dissapointed at this facility, I was expecting more
    Carter: Well at times so do we, the truth is the Stargate program doesn't get the support it used to from the people in charge
    Vala's Dad: Why not?
    (Tech guy forget his name) [Discovers something]: Eureka!
    Vala's Dad: Thats too bad 'cause after your stargate program has acomplished for this network - of planets, I would think the decision makers would show it the respect it deserves.
    Carter: ...Yea...

So Eureka is in reference to the show Eureka inevitably replacing SG1, and how Vala's Dad empahsies on the words Stargate Program and Network [as in TV Network] - it's pretty funny and clever

Anyone else notice it?
    Very nice! Green for you.

Comment

Now this episode has two good things.

I had completely missed them taking a dig at Scifi, and it's nice to see that the cancellation was included by the writers in a way.

sigpic

Comment

Wasn't the cancellation after Family Ties was done? Or just the script, but not filmed??

Comment

Originally posted by ussrelativity View Post
          Wasn't the cancellation after Family Ties was done? Or just the script, but not filmed??
          They were still filming when the show was cancelled.

Cancellation news was given on August 22nd, while the show stopped filming October 5th. That would give them enough time to alter one of the episodes to include the bit.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ugly Pig View Post
            It was canceled because it became too expensive. It became too expensive because it was ten years old. The perceived lack of quality in the writing (which is a perception I strongly disagree with, by the way) had nothing to do with it.
            Sure it did. Quality affects ratings, ratings/profits contrasted with costs are what made it impractical to keep paying to make more of it.

What's certainly true is nothing about the circumstances should have lead to this sort of whining about how they made sci-fi and sci-fi didn't support them. Boo hoo hoo.

Did they think it was going to run forever? It certainly didn't seem like they were ever going to commit to just getting together to say "ok guys, we've had some great times but it's time to wrap things up now, this will be our last season".

They should have done that several years ago, when it became fairly obvious they were pretty much out of new ideas. Instead they decided to keep milking the cashcow to the eventual unceremonious forced ending by cancellation they got here... and now evidently they're going to whine about that.

Comment

Originally posted by Ouroboros View Post
              Sure it did. Quality affects ratings, ratings/profits contrasted with costs are what made it impractical to keep paying to make more of it.
              Quality can affect ratings, it doesn't mean that it did. There are many reasons for a drop in ratings, not that it makes too much difference, the show wasn't cancelled because of ratings.

What's certainly true is nothing about the circumstances should have lead to this sort of whining about how they made sci-fi and sci-fi didn't support them. Boo hoo hoo.
              The fact that Sci Fi stood in the way of Stargate being taken up by another network is what annoyed most people.

Comment

Not really an amazing episode but did anyone get the dig they made about the Sci-Fi channel dropping it at about 28mins between Carter and Vala's dad?

Spoiler:
                Carter: Well at times so do we, the truth is the Stargate program doesn't get the support it used to from the people in charge
                Vala's Dad: Thats too bad 'cause after your stargate program has acomplished for this network - of planets, I would think the decision makers would show it the respect it deserves.

So Eureka is in reference to the show Eureka inevitably replacing SG1, and how Vala's Dad empahsies on the words Stargate Program and Network [as in TV Network] - it's pretty funny and clever

Anyone else notice it?
                bloody brilliant frak you scifi
                https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                  Quality can affect ratings, it doesn't mean that it did. There are many reasons for a drop in ratings, not that it makes too much difference, the show wasn't cancelled because of ratings.

The fact that Sci Fi stood in the way of Stargate being taken up by another network is what annoyed most people.
                  That and the fact they called them up right after the 200 party. Talk about a buzz kill.
                  Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                  "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                  Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
                    That and the fact they called them up right after the 200 party.
                    maybe that's it they were pissed off with the party
                    Last edited by g.o.d; 01 March 2007, 10:08 PM.
                    Stolen Kosovo
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by g.o.d View Post
                      maybe that's it they were pissed off by the party
                      Yup scifi loves to piss in our beer.
                      Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                      "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                      Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
                        That and the fact they called them up right after the 200 party. Talk about a buzz kill.
                        It was before the party, actually.

Comment

Spoiler:

Anyone else notice it?
                          That's exactly what I thought when I was watching it!
                          hh

Torri Higginson on Elizabeth Weir: "She likes to pilfer things from all the little neigbouring planets; That's cute, carve me one now!"

LEADERSHIP: Why fix what ain't broke? Save Elizabeth Weir

Keep Elizabeth Weir as a REGULAR!

Comment

Originally posted by Ouroboros View Post
                            Bull. What makes or breaks a show is how much and how well it's being advertised. It all comes down to the hype. Why do you think so many utter crap Hollywood movies become successful?

And: The "lack of quality" in seasons 9 and 10 is not a fact. It is your opinion, one that far from all fans share.
                            Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

Originally posted by Ugly Pig View Post
                              Bull. What makes or breaks a show is how much and how well it's being advertised. It all comes down to the hype. Why do you think so many utter crap Hollywood movies become successful?

And: The "lack of quality" in seasons 9 and 10 is not a fact. It is your opinion, one that far from all fans share.
                              What constitutes insufficient advertising is not a measurable fact either.

Seriously, how many people that don't already know about it after it's been on for a decade would actually be interested in starting to watch it now?

Advertising is very important in getting a new show off the ground, not so much in keeping a wilting show on life support for yet another year. A long term show like Stargate has probably already hooked in most of the audience it's ever going to get. At that point keeping them interested is more important than trying to somehow attract new viewers to a ten year old show they've never had an interest in before.

They managed that rather cleverly by grabbing actors from other popular sci-fi shows in any case. They certainly weren't going to get more audience because sci-fi ran a few TV spots attempting to get people who'd never watched a 10 year old show to tune in for this particular season.

Comment

How, then, do you explain the enormous ratings increase in season 6, after SG-1 moved from Showtime to SciFi?
                                Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

Working...
                                X