Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do the Ori have intergalactic Hyperdrives?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We know from Orlin that the Ori tried to wipe the Alterans out. So I don't think it matters when they left if they know what they're up for.

Comment

We know that the Ancients had stasis capability, maybe they used that when travelling this way, only being "awake" for maintenance, navigation etc...

Tha Orii wouldn't use this as it would show them as not all powerful, having to put it's followers, warriors etc to sleep when travelling seems rather feeble compared to using their knowledge to get the job done/travelling distances etc...

As for getting to the Orii galaxy, we can only speculate which method the Tourii (sp?) will use, IMO, using the super-gate will announce your intentions to arrive, and they would probably have it either guarded or monitored. so for me I'd rather travel the distance in stasis and be woken when near, so as to get ready etc...
      http://www.myspace.com/adam_1973

Comment

Well anything said on this matter is complete speculation as others have pointed out. However, I seriously doubt that they do not. For ascended beings to be unable to figure out something that is seemingly as basic is a bit of a stretch and speed in hyperspace depends on a power source. So, if you placed the kind of power source that powers those weapons and shields, on a limited hyperdrive ship like a Goa'uld mothership I'd be inclined to believe they could at least make it from th Milky way to the Pegasus galaxy in short order.

That said, the one thing in the show that supports them not having inter-galactic hyperdrives is "The Shroud." More than once Daniel was asked how they don't know this wasn't a trick so the Ori could use the Supergate again. He should've been able to respond by saying that he would have no reason to try to trick them as if he was on their side he could've just told them about the Pegasus galaxy and had them fly there to take out the stargate themselves. I'm inclined to think that it's just something they ignored to keep the plot going, but you never know.

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
        i would assume they don't. perhaps the size of their ships means they can't.

If ship size had anything to do with a ship being unable to travel between galaxies then a Wraith Hive, which is massive, would never have been able to modify their hyperdrive at the end of season 2.

Originally posted by IcyNeko View Post
        The alliance of four great races exchanged information. Asgard probably had the hyperdrives (since they don't seem to need to switch between intergalactic and interstellar... it's one package, neat and efficient), ancients with shields or something.. etc.

The Ori weren't awefully tech-savvy, and most of their tech they have now is likely things that the ancients had when they left the Ori galaxy.
        The Asgard probably did not have inter-galactic capability at the time of the great alliance. Around 30, 000 years one was using a sort of stasis to travel from Ida to the Milky Way which suggests that until recently it took them a lifetime to travel here by ship. It's more likely that the Ancients found them in their home galaxy and either gave them a Stargate with a power source capable of getting here or they ferried them over.

Comment

possible spoilers from unending

Spoiler:

i think the ori do have intergalatic hyperdrives becuase they go to the ida galaxy when the oddesey is there getting upgrades. but then 2 ori ships get destroyed by the exploding planet of orilla i think. so they must have intergalactic
          Last edited by Skydiver; 17 April 2007, 06:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Jackson View Post
            If they had intergalactic hyperdrive, they would have used that instead of the Supergate.
            Which is quicker. . . taking Daedalus to the Pegasus galaxy, or the Stargate with a ZPM? Now, imagine if we could build a Supergate. . . think we'd still bother with the three-week long trip of flying Daedalus to Atlantis, or do you think we'd just pop Daedy through that ol' Supergate?

Anyway. . .

Spoiler:
            They must have intergalactic hyperdrives, as several Ori vessels attack the Asgard homeworld in Unending.

Comment

But where would we get the materials to build said supergate from. That plus gate building is imo still milenia beyond us i think.

Comment

Ask the Nox, they helped the Tollan build a Stargate ever so long ago
                (Unending Spoilers)
                Spoiler:
                Now that we've got all the Asgard shizz theyve got to see us as a bit more advanced. And if not we can use our new phasers on them for a while
                When all technology has failed and all hope is lost, we will realize we had the ultimate advantage all along...

MAY BANJOS RULE THE WORLD!!!
                The reason my chemistry teacher hates me:
                Spoiler:
                MBA (my chemistry teacher): What is Avagadros constant?
                Me: 6 and a bit times 10 to the 23.
                MBA: Yea, you know that "bit" is two billion trillion?
                Me: Im barnsley and hung over, a bit will do
                AND
                MBA: What do we do to the number of moles to get the number of atoms?
                Me: Times it by that really big number!
                MBA: Yes, that really big number, what is it?
                Me: How should i know?
                MBA: Its on the board
                Me: Then whats the point in asking???

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                  But where would we get the materials to build said supergate from. That plus gate building is imo still milenia beyond us i think.
                  You completely missed the point.

If we could build a Supergate, does anyone honestly think we'd still take the 3 week trip in Daedalus to get to Atlantis?

It's called a hypothetical question.

The same goes for the Ori. . . why spend weeks or months traveling from their galaxy to ours when they can just Supergate their fleet in? Only an idiot would take the long way.

Comment

I would imagine theay do have inter galactic HD, spoiler

spoiler

spoiler

In "unending" they quickly get to the Asgard home planet fromk the MW, as we know it still took a modified gould cargo ship days to get there,

Comment

Spoiler:
                      the oddessy with the zpm strapped to the hyperdrive or was it the core either one would give a huge constant boost of power and the ori ships seem to come out seconds after the earth ship exit hyperspace, one of their trips took the oddessy an hour to reach a planet and then shortlt after the ori ships came along, so the ori must have intergalactic hyperdrives to match the earth ships........and one more thing i thought you cant track signals or energy patterns through hyperspace???
                      sigpic

Comment

I say they do, but decided not to use them. Here's why:

Aurora-class Lantean warships had interstellar hyperdrives installed to maximize sublight engines and weaponry. The Lantean intergalactic hyperdrive could cross Pegasus in a few days: the interstellar one could take months.

The Ori, running with the same technology, probably installed suped-up interstellar drives on their warships, allowing them to move quickly around the MW (And have maximum weapons power to combat the MW fleet), but not fast enough to reach us in a reasonable amount of time, hence the Supergates.
                        Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                        Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

I think they do considering the finale and as to why they use the Supergate instead of the intergalactic drive, well personally I think the Ori home galaxy is just very very far away. Not quoting, but it said that it took the Ancients hundreds of years before they reached the Milky Way galaxy, so it wouldnt be an effective invasion if the Ori fleet took centuries to reach their target...

'Hallowed are the children of the Ori. CROWD: Hallowed are we. Hallowed are the Ori.' -

'Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the Gods, ships shall be built to carry the warriors out among the stars and we will spread Origin to all the unbelievers. The power of the Ori will be felt far and wide and the wicked shall be vanquished' -

Contribute to the Stargate Wiki a source for any information on the Stargate universe from the books, RPG to games and comics.

Comment

Originally posted by Bragi View Post
                            You completely missed the point.

If we could build a Supergate, does anyone honestly think we'd still take the 3 week trip in Daedalus to get to Atlantis?

It's called a hypothetical question.

The same goes for the Ori. . . why spend weeks or months traveling from their galaxy to ours when they can just Supergate their fleet in? Only an idiot would take the long way.
                            Ah.. Must have missed that part.

Comment

Originally posted by Bragi View Post

spending weeks or months with Adria aboard Ori ship is definetly worth of it
                              Stolen Kosovo
                              sigpic

Comment

They must have in order to reach the Asgard home world.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X