Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do the Ori have intergalactic Hyperdrives?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Daniel Jackson View Post
    Why would speed be an issue? The Ori were not facing an invasion.
    If you were invading another galaxy, what wold be the better tactic?

1.) Taking weeks to get your forces there, a period of time in which those forces could be detected

or

2.) Get your invasion forces where they need to be in a matter of seconds.

Regardless, fact is that we don't know if the Ori have intergalactic hyperdrives or not. Saying one way or the other is purely speculation.
    I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

Originally posted by Avenger View Post
      If you were invading another galaxy, what wold be the better tactic?

1.) Taking weeks to get your forces there, a period of time in which those forces could be detected

or

2.) Get your invasion forces where they need to be in a matter of seconds.

Regardless, fact is that we don't know if the Ori have intergalactic hyperdrives or not. Saying one way or the other is purely speculation.
      I agree with your statement 110%, we just don't know.

Comment

Whats the dif?bigger engines, and or more power reserves. Look what the difference was when the replicators enhanced Apophis's mothership, is what they did the equiv of a Nitros boost of power, they were coming from Ida galaxy, that's how I read it even though nothing was said in the show.

Even the most efficiant supercar engine ran at pull throttle needs to rest over long hauls, look at the Scout ship that they used after O'Neills mods had to rest cos of it over-stressing.
        http://www.myspace.com/adam_1973

Comment

Because the crew can only live so long?

Comment

If they had intergalactic hyperdrive, they would have used that instead of the Supergate.
            SG-1 have 304's, so why bother using the Stargate to travel to othger worlds. Why not always go on the ships for every mission!

Answer it's quicker to go via the gates!

Lmao! Why would it not be an issue. Gates can take you to different galaxies in a matter of secs. Ships cannot! It takes an Asgard ship 4 days to travel to Pegasus. It takes a 304 with a ZPM 4 days to travel there also.

From Avalon:

JACKSON: uh…once upon a time there was a race of people that were on a great journey through space across the universe they were called the Alterra um…after much time…I think this means thousands of years… they found a great belt of stars.
            It took the Alterrans 100's of years before they reached this solar system! How in thw heck could they just decide to user HD's for something that far away. Even ascended tech can only take you so far. Then there is the added fact that the Ori cannot come with their followers on the ships. Therefore they are limited in what they can do.

Their followers & warriors are human, hence only have a short life expectancy. Do you think they'd be prepared to sit back & wait 100's of years at least until their ships arrived in the MW. I think not!

Therefore using the gate is their only means to get here in any amount of quick time.

Put it this way, 304's have a quick HD. Odyssey also has a ZPM, there it can go 4 times quicker than usual at least. Do you think they'll be travelling to the Ori galaxy via their HD or via the supergate in the 1st movie.

I'd be willing to bet my left nut, it's the Super Gate is the route that they will go!
            Last edited by J_B; 24 February 2007, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by J_B View Post
              It took the Alterrans 100's of years before they reached this solar system! How in thw heck could they just decide to user HD's for something that far away.
              we don't know if alterrans had intergalactic hyperdrives then, it could be they just had intergalactic, OR they were just out lookin for a place to live, not actually going directly to this galaxy.

Either way, WHO KNOWS.

Comment

Originally posted by bniblett View Post
                we don't know if alterrans had intergalactic hyperdrives then, it could be they just had intergalactic, OR they were just out lookin for a place to live, not actually going directly to this galaxy.

Either way, WHO KNOWS.
                Lol, if they didn;t have intergalactic hyperdrives, then they wouldn't be able to travel other galaxies never mind across the fracking universe.

However if that doesn't float your boat enough, then Pegasus is very close to the MW. Only 3 million light years away. Even without a ZPM, it takes a 304 travelling at only 25% of maximum power 18 days.

From The Return:
                McKAY: Believe it or not, moving that fast, while an incredible feat of technology, isn't very useful – certainly in comparison to travel through hyperspace. Now, moving as fast as it is, this ship – assuming it is a ship – would still take at least a million years just to reach the Milky Way.
                So if that would take them a million years to travel only 3 million light years, then how is it possible for them to travel across the whole universe in a matter of 1000's of years.

I cannot possibly see how that can be the case, can you without having it!

Comment

Originally posted by Jarnin View Post
                  It supposedly took a thousand years for the ancients to get from their home galaxy to the Milky Way.

Assuming the ancient ship(s) had hyperdrives similar to the Goa'uld Ha'taks when they left their home galaxy, a Ha'tak traveled at about 32000c as of Season 4/5 (Exodus). Crossing the Milky Way would take a Ha'tak about 3 years. If you wanted to visit Atlantis, it would take you about 93 years. How far can a Ha'tak travel in 1000 years? 32,000,000 light years.

If the Ori home galaxy is 32,000,000 light years away, even if Ori ships had intergalactic hyperdrives (with speeds comparable to Daedalus powered by a ZPM), it would take them ~42 years to get here.

That's why they're using the supergate.

Something's odd about that math...it took the Deady 4 days to travel the 3,000,000 light years to Pegasus, so it would only take an Ori ship about 42 days to get here from their galaxy if they were 32,000,000 light years away.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                    Something's odd about that math...it took the Deady 4 days to travel the 3,000,000 light years to Pegasus, so it would only take an Ori ship about 42 days to get here from their galaxy if they were 32,000,000 light years away.
                    The biggest thing wrong with that is it's impossible to compare Goa'uld drives to that of Alterran.

Firstly because we don't know how far away their home galaxy was. Along with where they going at full speed the whole time etc. Then the other one is the fact that the Goa'uld don't have intergalactic capabilities.

It's said they went across the universe & it took them 1000's of years to get here. They were already advanced enough to have created Stargates & all the rest of it. So it's simply a place that is very far away. Too far to travel by conventional hyperdrives. Therefore even with ascended knowledge the Ori still need a gate to take their followers here.

304's are fast, especially with Odyssey having a ZPM then it's uber fast. However I'm willing to bet they still use the SuperGate to go to the Ori home galaxy in 'The Ark of Truth'.

Comment

Originally posted by hypochondriac View Post
                      They never mentioned that the hyperdrives were intergalactic ones. I always thought they were normal ones
                      Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
                      Actually no they didnt. In Flesh and blood and Shroud they were just using intersteller drives as they were already in MW. The supergate is their intergalactic travelling means, but that dosent meen they don't have them or the knowhow to build one if needed.
                      my bad i assumed hyperdrive could bring to other galaxies and such thanks for the correction.
                      https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

I was guessing that the Ori did have the drives but the distance was to great. Guess there is no way to be sure.

Comment

Originally posted by hypochondriac View Post
                          I was guessing that the Ori did have the drives but the distance was to great. Guess there is no way to be sure.
                          there wanted to get here sonner to get to the jello ...blue of course.
                          https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
                            my bad i assumed hyperdrive could bring to other galaxies and such thanks for the correction.
                            You werent wrong he just fomulated his answer wrong.

It is the exact same hyperdrive any intergalactic capable ship use to travel both interstellar and intergalactic the difference is one of distance. In a way all hyperdrives are intergalactic as they can cross the vast voids between galaxies, they just do so, so incredibly slow that the people aboard the ships would grow old or die before they arrived so they are considered interstellar hyperdrives.
                            Saying its an intergalactic drive merely means that it is fast enough to cross the void between two galaxies in a reasonable amount of time.

The Ancients could very well have had slow interstellar drives during their 1000 year trip but it seems unlikely as someone with that slow a Hyperdrive would be insane to fly out of a galaxy IMO, as they would be stuck in pure nothing for a very very long time.

There are no way to tell whether the Ori have intergalactic capability from the ships in our galaxy as we dont have any knowledge of how far the distances is between individual systems and we rarely see real time hyperspace travel, so we cant calculate their speed.

Comment

Well, it was either a long long time in nothing, or getting wiped out by the Ori.

I'd choose the nothing.

Comment

The question is whether they were indeed losing a war with the Ori or whether they were just against the concept of fighting one when they left. From what Daniel says in Avalon either could be the case and to me personally it sounds more like the Ancients decided to leave before something catastrophic happened and not after.

Comment

Working...
                                X