Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The BBC please recover SG-1 for more season!!!!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ReganX
    It's also possible that the BBC might have some rules about the number of British people involved in the show. They are financed by TV licence fees, rather than ads so they might have a quota to meet.

If, for example, they have a rule that the lead character of a show they finance must be played by a British actor, Stargate wouldn't qualify without cast changes.
    But wasn't BBC the first channel to show 24 over here?

Comment

Originally posted by Jonzey
      But wasn't BBC the first channel to show 24 over here?
      But did they fund "24"?

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by hkgenesis
        how the hell can sci-fi say you can and you cannot produce stargate sg1 when mgm owns the rights?. Im acually getting sick of sci-fi's no stargate anymore bla bla bla, because of this and that, well if you dont want to make the show anymore drop it and let someone else pick it up, dont screw over the fans and all the fraken people that people there heart and soul into the series.
        MGM owns the "show" but SciFi apparently owns the rights to "broadcast" it in the U.S. and they say if they don't broadcast it, no one will, even if MGM takes it to another channel.

However, apparently there is a loophole about overseas broadcasters being exempt so that's why the savestargate site is promoting going to other countries for support. SG1 might be broadcast in other countries first, but eventually it would get here, and the show would continue.

BTW - Fox did the same as Skiffy with "Firefly". When Whedon tried to take Firefly to another channel, Fox blocked his efforts with the "Show it here or nowhere else!" Of course Fox refused to even broadcast it in correct order.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX
          It's also possible that the BBC might have some rules about the number of British people involved in the show. They are financed by TV licence fees, rather than ads so they might have a quota to meet.

If, for example, they have a rule that the lead character of a show they finance must be played by a British actor, Stargate wouldn't qualify without cast changes.
          It must be one helluva character if it were to cost them between 10 & 20 million pounds to make. The BBC have never showed it before, the mainstream population here wouldn't have a clue what it's all about. If they had been showing repeats like C4 through the years then it might be possible, but they haven't so it's not. Put it this way, if I could find a bookie to take the bet, I'd bet my house they wouldn't be interested in the slightest. A fan sending an email to them doesn't deserve to make headlines, I know people who sent them to every network in the US when 'Wanted' was axed, as well as another few who even tried ITV here in the UK because they aired it on ITV2. Unless a BBC spokesperson sends out a statement that they may be interested then it's not even worth wasting another minute on hoping.

If the BBC were to ever spend out that sort of money, then it'd be on their own UK based series, something liker 'Invasion Earth' etc.

The only serious UK candidate would be C4, so you'd be far better sending your emails to them.

Anyway I'm telling you it won't make any difference, I bet we'll see MGM are in cahoots with Skiffy over it. There will be a 4 part mini-series launched to end it, with perhaps 1 or 2 sci-fi exclusive moves to end the whole SG-1 thing. Then this is great publicity for Dean Devlin & MGM to work on the sequels that they've been spouting recently about after 12 years. Come on, with James Spader, they'd need to borrow the Ori supergate idea to even get him through a Stargate these days. The fans flock to see it because they are no longer getting their regular fix of SG-1 nowadays. End result they end up making huge bucks at the box office.

If you really want to do anything to make sci-fi regret it, then instead of posting threads like this about a fan emaling a broadcasting company across the other side of the world to air it. Get them to be telling everybody & posting in all SG related boards around the net to stop watching Battlestar Galactica S3 when Sci-Fi airs it in October. Only then when they see that most of their BSG audience are also Stargate fans, will something be done & SG-1 be re-instated. You think they will waste more money of BSG if they know even half of their regular audience aren't going to take their sh#t because of the way they've been shafted over Stargate & the fans are shafting them back harder by refusing nto watch their BSG baby any longer. SG-1 will see an 11th season quicker than James Spader can get a burger down his throat!

So put your energy into getting all regular watching SG fans to stop watching BSG, then also get them to send e-mails to Skiffy telling them they've stopped watching BSG until Stargate gets re-instated. Only then will we all get S11 & BEYOND! Why settle for a little mini-series when even we could all get many more series if only you could get all loyal SG fans to ditch watching BSG until it gets re-instated.

Comment

^^ I'm sure Sky One is a stronger candidate than C4.

Comment

Like other posters, I really can't see the BBC stepping in here. And I doubt that C4 would either. To be honest, I can't see any UK network picking up the pieces, but if there was going to be one it would undoubtedly be SKY.

The only 2 UK broadcasters that would be able to pull it off is obviously Sky, however being they get ratings of between 500 & 700 odd k viewers per ep, then it's really not feasible for them to be paying that much money to produce it either.
              So, how many viewers do they get for BSG? They did co-produce/fund that one, so the precedent for them to be in partnership with a US network to produce SF shows is there. And I've always been given the impression that SG1 is one of SKY's top-rated shows. Although that is just an impression and not backed up by any knowledge of ratings etc.

Albion
              Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

Originally posted by smurf
                Sci Fi own the rights to air the first run (and limited repeats) of Stargate, not the rights to the show itself.
                MGM could make the show completely out of it's own money and offer it to Sci Fi Channel. It would then be up to Sci Fi Channel to decide if they want to pay the (likely to be lower) fees for the ready made show - in much the same way as they deal with Dr. Who.
                If they don't US viewers will have to wait for the DVDs, but I have a feeling they wouldn't say no.
                If BBC does pick up the show,(I doubt they will) US viewers should be able to get it on BBCA. I seriously doubt though that MGM would do this.
                Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks
                  ^^ I'm sure Sky One is a stronger candidate than C4.
                  C4 is available to a far bigger viewerbase. Sky doesn't currently get enough viewers for SG-1 or Atlantis to justify spending that amount of money to fund an entire season by themselves.

So, how many viewers do they get for BSG? They did co-produce/fund that one, so the precedent for them to be in partnership with a US network to produce SF shows is there. And I've always been given the impression that SG1 is one of SKY's top-rated shows. Although that is just an impression and not backed up by any knowledge of ratings etc.
                  Last season they were almost identical to both SG shows in ratings. However I'm sure a lot of those were viewers who also stayed in to watch both SG shows before it. If these fans stopped watching, then I'm sure that would go down a heck of a lot. When sci-fi realise that they are alienating a large part of their audience (aka mainly SG viewers), then I'm fairly certain that they would get a minimum of at least 1 more whole season to finish things up. However that doesn't take away from the fact that the exact same people that put SG-1 in this position will still be at the helm writing the exact same stuff & putting it in the direction that caused all this in the first place.

SG-1/Atlantis gets on average around 600k viewers an ep on Sky 1. However there are a few that's went down to the 500/550 odd mark, while a few like the season premiers/endings etc normally go up to over 700k.

Even Eureka is only getting just over half a mil viewers on Sky 1 just now.

I can't see any UK broadcaster paying that amount of money for it. BBC is a definite non starter, Sky is possible because they always show new seasons first, however they don't have the viewing figures to justify spending betyween 10 & 20 mil to produce it. Out of any UK station, I would say C4 would be the best bet, they get a steady audience for older eps every sunday, so being that normal tv is available to everybody then I could see them getting pretty good viewing figures if they went for a S11.

A better bet would be for Sky or someone else to doa deal with MGM to allow them to buy a stake in the gate franchise. Then there is far more incentive to make the show because they would be directly cut in the profits of merchandise/dvd sales etc. If MGM want the show to continue then being as they sell SG to more than 100 countries worldwide, gets tons of merchandising etc, then it's in their best interests to pay around half of it along with sci-fi.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82
                    If BBC does pick up the show,(I doubt they will) US viewers should be able to get it on BBCA. I seriously doubt though that MGM would do this.
                    Doubtful. If the contract says Sci Fi gets US first-run then Sci Fi gets US first-run. The fact the BBC has a US channel is moot.
                    It's something another broadcaster will take into consideration when deciding whether there is any value to be had from the show. If a major market (US) is taken away, and possible profit disappears, then is it worth it?

Comment

i agree the it is very unlikley that the bbc would buy stargate, it would be strange if thay did, judging by other tv series the the bbc have made like this it would probably be 13 episodes per series, and mabye a christmas special (santa is an ascended anciant...) mabye aired at 8:00 on a saturday evening after doctor who... but i expect it wouldn't happen, i agree that C4 is the best bet, it would be much better than big brother.

Comment

Originally posted by cvife
                        and mabye a christmas special (santa is an ascended anciant...)
                        hahahhah !
                        Hallowed are the Ori !!!
                        Follow the path of the Enlightment !
                        Why Sg1 !!?? Why not me!!?? Why !!??

Comment

Before even reading some of the posts in here my gf and I have decided to boycott BSG in order to stick it to Sci-Fi for cancelling SG-1 while ALSO preventing it from going elsewhere. I am surprised this is not getting more than a ripple because IMO it will send the strongest message to Sci-Fi. Crash BSG and force Sci-Fi to reevaluate their assumptions of their fanbase.

Also, anyone notice how they are advertising the crap out of BSG S3? I am pretty sure that it's irritating me because of what is going down concerning SG-1 but the massive overload of ads is beginning to be too much. It's really a shame because I did like BSG and was looking forward to S3 but the bottom line is that despite the bumps in the road to S10 I am still more loyal to SG than BSG. I honestly do not wish BSG ill will but what Sci-Fi did/is doing to SG-1 is wrong IMO.

Oh I am also fulling boycotting Eureka because I have a funny feeling that that is the show that will be plugged into the SG-1 slot since so far it is all Sci-Fi has going (other than ECW).

Comment

Originally posted by Joxentine
                            Before even reading some of the posts in here my gf and I have decided to boycott BSG in order to stick it to Sci-Fi for cancelling SG-1 while ALSO preventing it from going elsewhere. I am surprised this is not getting more than a ripple because IMO it will send the strongest message to Sci-Fi. Crash BSG and force Sci-Fi to reevaluate their assumptions of their fanbase.

Also, anyone notice how they are advertising the crap out of BSG S3? I am pretty sure that it's irritating me because of what is going down concerning SG-1 but the massive overload of ads is beginning to be too much. It's really a shame because I did like BSG and was looking forward to S3 but the bottom line is that despite the bumps in the road to S10 I am still more loyal to SG than BSG. I honestly do not wish BSG ill will but what Sci-Fi did/is doing to SG-1 is wrong IMO.

Oh I am also fulling boycotting Eureka because I have a funny feeling that that is the show that will be plugged into the SG-1 slot since so far it is all Sci-Fi has going (other than ECW).

That's what everybody should be doing, once they realise by thinking they're being clever & screwing the SG fans. Not only by cnacelling the show, even making them wait 6 months before getting the 2nd half so they can air BSG uninterrupted is totally & utterly scandalous!

I suspect that most fans of BSG etc are also regular SG viewers. So once sci-fi realise that they are alienating a very large part of their fans base because of this whole can SG-1 scenario. They are not going to want to have it continue & so I would bet anything we'd get a reversal of their policy. 'Back due to popular fan demand, sci-fi is proud to present S11 of the record breaking SG-1 & all that other clap trap they'll spout'.

Have all SG-1 fans stop watching BSG when S3 airs in October, by the time it gets to around 6 eps in & they see that half their viewers are no longer watching. That'll make them finally sit up & take note that the fans are really the ones who can make the choices. Unfortunately I really can't see how it could be conveyed to the large majority of fans other than posting on every Stagte themed website worldwide.

Comment

What could Sci-fi really do to MGM , MGM could tell sci-fi to go fly a kite, yeah there may be a law suit but what could Sci-fi do, they dont own the show only the broadcasting right, and MGM can just say, we want our interest expressed somewere else and end the contract and void the broadcasting rights. There may be some penalties but could Sci-fi really afford a fight with MGM, it is because of MGM sci-fi has anything worth watching (stargate , atlantis,) and then there is battlestar i dont know who own the right to the show. sci-fi should just conceed and let the show be broadcast somewere else, what is it to them, they had the show for 5 years and probably made a killing, why be so dame gready , "NO , we wont let you show stargate". if i were mgm i would challange sci-fi for the broadcasting rights, mgm would probably win, most likely.

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith_Hunter
                                That's what everybody should be doing, once they realise by thinking they're being clever & screwing the SG fans. Not only by cnacelling the show, even making them wait 6 months before getting the 2nd half so they can air BSG uninterrupted is totally & utterly scandalous!

I suspect that most fans of BSG etc are also regular SG viewers. So once sci-fi realise that they are alienating a very large part of their fans base because of this whole can SG-1 scenario. They are not going to want to have it continue & so I would bet anything we'd get a reversal of their policy. 'Back due to popular fan demand, sci-fi is proud to present S11 of the record breaking SG-1 & all that other clap trap they'll spout'.

Have all SG-1 fans stop watching BSG when S3 airs in October, by the time it gets to around 6 eps in & they see that half their viewers are no longer watching. That'll make them finally sit up & take note that the fans are really the ones who can make the choices. Unfortunately I really can't see how it could be conveyed to the large majority of fans other than posting on every Stagte themed website worldwide.
                                To be honest, I think running BSG in the fall against major network shows is going to harm it anyway. I mean, near the end of last season its ratings were about the same as Atlantis and only a little more than SG1, and that was with two strong lead-ins and no competition. Doesn't mean they'll cancel BSG because of low ratings. No, they love it too much.

Comment

Working...
                                X