Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The BBC please recover SG-1 for more season!!!!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've written a letter to Sky One. Hopefully someone will take it up. We don't know the conditions of the SciFi contract, so we really don't know how this is going to play out.

Stargate-Universe.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by shonac85
      I've written a letter to Sky One. Hopefully someone will take it up. We don't know the conditions of the SciFi contract, so we really don't know how this is going to play out.
      I wonder what Sky pay for the rights to show the episodes, and how much more it'd cost them if they were to fund the show themselves.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

As I said before when you originally posted this: Where is the actual source of the info, it simply looks like someone e-mailed the BBC, then posted it on the net.

When 'Wanted' was cancelled, this same thing happened & fans mailed various networks to see if they would pick it up. However there is no point in even starting threads like this unless someone at the BBC issued an official statement.

The fact is that ther BBC will not spend 10/15/20 million pounds to air a show that's been on the air for over 10 years. Nobody who's watched it on Sky or C4 would have a clue about it. If they had of been airing repeats of it beforeheand, then it would be possible. However it's not & I'd bet my house on it that they will not even be tempted in the slightest to put their money into it. There are no breaks in between programs etc, so they couldn't even recoup some of the production fee that way.

The only 2 UK broadcasters that would be able to pull it off is obviously Sky, however being they get ratings of between 500 & 700 odd k viewers per ep, then it's really not feasible for them to be paying that much money to produce it either. Only C4 could realistically pull it off, simply because it's on free tv, so would be available to a far bigger viewerbase. Again I don't think even they'd pay that amount of money for it.

The fact is if sci-fi have a contract that forbids another network from showing S11, then there is nothing anyone else can do other than to rebrand it.

However given the fact that MGM even signed such a contract should have raised the reg flag with them. I've heard a lot of people praising MGM etc for coming out giving the no surrender statements. However I think they knew this was coming all along & they are in cahoots with skiffy over it.

If they honestly thought that skiffy shafted them, then there is no way in hell they'd have let them sign up for S4 at around the same moment SG-1 was canned. Think about it, this is great promotion for them, which WHEN they end it with a mini-series on sci-fi will get them far more viewers than ever before. Then they can get onto the next step of the plan, which is with DD to start on the sequels to SG that they have in the works. Again SG-1 getting canned is great news for a SG feature film. More box office money for them from disgruntled fans.

The only way to make them take stock is to not watch the rest of SG-1 or Atlantis this season. Especially for the 6 month wait that they put on their US viewers so they can air their BSG baby all the way through.

Any SG fans who watch BSG should stop watching S3 of it, only this will show sci-fi that they have screwed a lot of their fanbase with the SG-1 crap & they ain't taking it anymore. BSG loses a ton of viewers (all the SG fans who probably make up bulk of the regular viewing audience anyways), the ratings go down, they lose money. This might be the only thing that gets SG-1 new seasons, that is showing skiffy that if they screw the fans, then the fans will screw them back much harder!

Comment

how the hell can sci-fi say you can and you cannot produce stargate sg1 when mgm owns the rights?. Im acually getting sick of sci-fi's no stargate anymore bla bla bla, because of this and that, well if you dont want to make the show anymore drop it and let someone else pick it up, dont screw over the fans and all the fraken people that people there heart and soul into the series. yeah the show may have lost a bit of rating points, but that happeneds, it's summer time for crying out loud, people dont always have to rushing inside and watch stargate. Stargate is a top notch tv show, and is better then most or all the other crap on tv like those reality shows (fraken garbage that is). ohh, look at me sing and dance, and make a fool out of my self on national tv, go *****ing fly a kite. I wouldnt mind the BBC to come in and save sg1 but I think, and this probably would never happen, HBO sould get Stargate, that would be fraken awesome, give some spice to stargatek, allow the writers to write more adultish (but not much, im not saying nudity or sex) episodes. Add some colourfull language, blood, some real tensions, more provocutive characters, or added styles to the currnent characters.

Comment

Originally posted by PtahTheCreationGod
            Of course even if the BBC brought the rights, they still couldnt show it in the US due to Sci-fi's contract.
            Looks like im moving to the UK then!
            sigpic
            "Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence."
            DS9 Superior|Farscape|Legend of the Seeker|Stargate Universe|STAR WARS

Comment

If it's gonna be bought in the UK I think it's much more likely it would be Sky One, or perhaps channel 4.

Comment

HBO, all the way

Comment

Originally posted by hkgenesis
                  HBO, all the way
                  Isn't HBO an American network?

Comment

I wouldn't bother with BBC. It's a public funded broadcaster which will have to justify its spend. Given the age, niche market/relatively low ratings and cost of SG-1, along with the fact the BBC has never shown it (unlike Due South) there is no chance in heck that the BBC will fund it.

You are better off sending your letters to Sky.

Comment

Originally posted by PtahTheCreationGod
                      Of course even if the BBC brought the rights, they still couldnt show it in the US due to Sci-fi's contract.
                      Not true b/c Scifi owns the rights to Stargate. MGM also does but b/c of their contract with Scifi no one can air it. In other words they would have to buy it from scifi. Us in america could watch in on BBC America.
                      Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                      "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                      Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by shonac85
                        I was thinking that a UK based network could take SG-1. Bet the SciFi contract doesn't say anything about networks in another country! We can live in hope! Slim hope, but its there!!!
                        indeed..... wich is why either BBCA could/should air it over here, or.... since stargate has made canada so popular, they could show some gratitude and have their SPACE channle air in the US alsoand get themsevles even more ratings
                        SAVE SG-1
                        www.savestargatesg1.com

Proud Member of F.O.R.D.
                        Say No To The Six Month Hiatus

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82
                          Not true b/c Scifi owns the rights to Stargate. MGM also does but b/c of their contract with Scifi no one can air it. In other words they would have to buy it from scifi. Us in america could watch in on BBC America.
                          Sci Fi own the rights to air the first run (and limited repeats) of Stargate, not the rights to the show itself.
                          MGM could make the show completely out of it's own money and offer it to Sci Fi Channel. It would then be up to Sci Fi Channel to decide if they want to pay the (likely to be lower) fees for the ready made show - in much the same way as they deal with Dr. Who.
                          If they don't US viewers will have to wait for the DVDs, but I have a feeling they wouldn't say no.

Comment

Originally posted by hkgenesis
                            HBO sould get Stargate, that would be fraken awesome, give some spice to stargate, allow the writers to write more adultish (but not much, im not saying nudity or sex) episodes. Add some colourfull language, blood, some real tensions, more provocutive characters, or added styles to the currnent characters.
                            Why? That would completely change the show. We've already got Battlestar Galactica being dark, miserable and depressing sorry, edgy, I don't want Stargate like that too.

I can't see why the BBC would pick SG-1 up, though - they've never aired it, and it'd be too expensive for them. It'd really cheese Sky off, too.

Comment

I hate to be pessimistic but I very much doubt that the BBC will buy the show. The fact that they don't even show it already is enough reason in my opinion, instead Channel 4 shows the reruns and Sky shows the first run episodes in the UK (sometimes even the first run episodes in the world!). Why would the BBC bother with a show that’s already in its 10th season when they haven't bothered with it before? Also, how many American shows that are facing cancellation has the BBC picked up?

Come on guys, lets focus on more realistic possibilities.

Charlie

Comment

Originally posted by Chas2006
                                I hate to be pessimistic but I very much doubt that the BBC will buy the show. The fact that they don't even show it already is enough reason in my opinion, instead Channel 4 shows the reruns and Sky shows the first run episodes in the UK (sometimes even the first run episodes in the world!). Why would the BBC bother with a show that’s already in its 10th season when they haven't bothered with it before? Also, how many American shows that are facing cancellation has the BBC picked up?

Come on guys, lets focus on more realistic possibilities.

Charlie
                                It's also possible that the BBC might have some rules about the number of British people involved in the show. They are financed by TV licence fees, rather than ads so they might have a quota to meet.

If, for example, they have a rule that the lead character of a show they finance must be played by a British actor, Stargate wouldn't qualify without cast changes.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Working...
                                X