This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IrishPisano
    2. Carter's a woman and f'ed up though it may be, women are not allowed to be in command in the military. (i don't agree with it either, but we're not here to discuss the archaic philosophies of the military)
    Huh??? What planet do you live on? I'm in the Navy and I see women leading every day! Their are women Admirals (hmmmm, they had to lead to get to that position) and their are women commanding ships at sea. Just a week ago a female took over the postion of Atlantic Fleet Master Chief. She is responsible for all the enlisted personnel in the Atlantic Fleet. She is now the most senior enlisted female on the CNO's staff. Wow....she's barking on the heals of Joe Campa for the role of MCPON. Oh, that's the Navy's Senior Enlisted...Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy.

Please...get with the times before you spout off archaic nonsense.

Yes, I'm off topic, but it's to prove a point that women can be put in command positions in the military, i.e. Sam Carter can lead.
    Last edited by nccjones; 26 July 2006, 07:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nccjones
      Carter has definately come out the strongest the last two years and Mitchell looks like a high school kid trying to be the bully.
      The bully? For some, he's too weak to be a leader and now he's a bully?

It seems to me that he and Sam have a very nice, easy relationship. I like it--it's purely platonic, yet there's a vibe between them. I get the sense that they'd look out for each other and each cares about the welfare of the other. You see it in their very first interaction in Avalon, when he asks her to come back to keep him from "screwing up" Obviously, he has great faith in her knowledge. You see it from her in Collateral Damage. There's some nice stuff going on in Ripple Effect, both with the real SG team and the Sg "black" team.

I've never had the feeling that he bullies her or doesn't respect her. Unless, of course, you're assuming he dissed her by accepting command of SG1 in the first place as opposed to saying, "oh, no, give it to Carter." Yeah. Like THAT would happen in RL.

I think he gives Daniel a lot more grief than he ever gives Sam, but, again I see that as kind of typical guy ribbing the other guy behavior. And most of the people I know in RL kid the people they're closest to and like the best because you know you can.

Comment

Two LTC's and 2 civvies on a 4 man team!! Now thats what I call a waste. In reality both would be leading separate teams. A female can lead, sure, if she has the rank she can sure lead.
        The chain of command is very clear here, thats why it's in place.
        Just to inject reality into this stupor. For real
        Vala .. out on her bum, no question, she's a huge security risk as she's already proven. No matter how good looking or flirtatious this babe has a history and can't be trusted, it'll just work against her.
        I watched season 9 dvd's and from the start it's very disjointed with Cam wandering around wanting to pull all the old members of sg1 back together.
        In reality he'd be given a squad and told to work with them or given a stack of files and told to pick and that would happen pretty damn quick. The civvies do as their blinking well told by the CO no arguments.
        SG always does take the military protocol wayyyyyyyyyyyy beyong belief but welcome to TV land

Comment

Originally posted by nccjones
          Huh??? What planet do you live on? I'm in the Navy and I see women leading every day! Their are women Admirals (hmmmm, they had to lead to get to that position) and their are women commanding ships at sea. Just a week ago a female took over the postion of Atlantic Fleet Master Chief. She is responsible for all the enlisted personnel in the Atlantic Fleet. She is now the most senior enlisted female on the CNO's staff. Wow....she's barking on the heals of Joe Campa for the role of MCPON. Oh, that's the Navy's Senior Enlisted...Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy.

Please...get with the times before you spout off archaic nonsense.

Yes, I'm off topic, but it's to prove a point that women can be put in command positions in the military, i.e. Sam Carter can lead.
          ********, there are no female ship Captains... sorry. i did my time in the navy too... female MC's definitely, female Admirals, definitely, but not female ship captains... show me proof
          Last edited by Major Tyler; 27 July 2006, 06:06 AM. Reason: remove vulgarity
          Colonel Jack O'Neill: So what's your impression of Alar?
          Teal'c: That he is concealing something.
          Colonel Jack O'Neill: Like what?
          Teal'c: I am unsure. He is concealing it.

Comment

I like the way Mitchell is leading the team. As others have said, the team is a bunch of competent, reliable adults and Mitchell will give them leeway to take the front in situations where they are more experienced, but he is there to be mediator if needed, to keep them on track, to make the final decision and, as esoap524 said, take the heat if it goes bad. He listens to the opinions of his teammates and doesn't lead by barking orders at them, but he's willing to give the command when needed. He also seems able to take the flack for the team if things go bad. I think he is very much the kind of leader this team needs now. In the beginning, while everyone was trying to find their feet, O'Neill's more stronghanded leadership was what was needed, but now these guys know their roles and a different kind of leader is better, and Mitchell provides that leadership.

Yes, I believe Carter is also qualified and quite capable, but that's not how things worked out - right or wrong, ...and that's a topic for another discussion...

Comment

Originally posted by ChillinTheMost
              I like the way Mitchell is leading the team. As others have said, the team is a bunch of competent, reliable adults and Mitchell will give them leeway to take the front in situations where they are more experienced, but he is there to be mediator if needed, to keep them on track, to make the final decision and, as esoap524 said, take the heat if it goes bad. He listens to the opinions of his teammates and doesn't lead by barking orders at them, but he's willing to give the command when needed. He also seems able to take the flack for the team if things go bad. I think he is very much the kind of leader this team needs now. In the beginning, while everyone was trying to find their feet, O'Neill's more stronghanded leadership was what was needed, but now these guys know their roles and a different kind of leader is better, and Mitchell provides that leadership.

Yes, I believe Carter is also qualified and quite capable, but that's not how things worked out - right or wrong, ...and that's a topic for another discussion...

I agree. And, the only reason Carter's a Lt. Colonel has nothing to do with her accomplishments in the past. She got promoted to Major for that, but, the similiar to the reason Sheppard got promoted(to be ranking military officer), TPTB promoted Carter just because it didnt seem fitting to have a Major leading SG-1.

So Mitchell's right where he belongs, and again, I agree with what's above.

Jesus is Lord!

Comment

********, there are no female ship Captains... sorry. i did my time in the navy too... female MC's definitely, female Admirals, definitely, but not female ship captains... show me proof
                http://www.military.com/NewContent/0...E_0304,00.html

Following lunch and a presentation on historical sources by Dr. Regina Akers of the Naval Historical Center, a roundtable titled "Leadership at Sea" featured senior officers, both male and female, and enlisted women. Navy Captain Michelle Janine Howard, among the second generation of women to serve at sea and the first African American woman to command a ship

does that say a woman commanded a ship wow

http://www.npc.navy.mil/AboutUs/BUPE...cy/history.htm

maybe this will be easier for you to read. Start with 1988
                Last edited by Nefreyu; 27 July 2006, 07:52 AM.
                BRING BACK THE NOX!!!!!
                Also bring back Jack and get rid of that other guy whatever his name is.

Comment

Originally posted by Nefreyu
                  http://www.military.com/NewContent/0...E_0304,00.html

Following lunch and a presentation on historical sources by Dr. Regina Akers of the Naval Historical Center, a roundtable titled "Leadership at Sea" featured senior officers, both male and female, and enlisted women. Navy Captain Michelle Janine Howard, among the second generation of women to serve at sea and the first African American woman to command a ship

does that say a woman commanded a ship wow

http://www.npc.navy.mil/AboutUs/BUPE...cy/history.htm

maybe this will be easier for you to read. Start with 1988
                  then someone better explain that to the officers in the fleet who are teaching their midshipmen that you are wrong

Comment

then someone better explain that to the officers in the fleet who are teaching their midshipmen that you are wrong
                    I think it's also a possibility that the midshipmen in question are simply misunderstanding their officers in the fleet.
                    Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Tyler
                      I think it's also a possibility that the midshipmen in question are simply misunderstanding their officers in the fleet.
                      uhm, when the officers say, "women do not command ships." you really don't misunderstand them

Comment

uhm, when the officers say, "women do not command ships." you really don't misunderstand them
                        Apparently you do, given the fact that women do command ships...

Edit: It doesn't really matter...this is off-topic, anyway.
                        Last edited by Major Tyler; 27 July 2006, 12:22 PM.
                        Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Tyler
                          Apparently you do, given the fact that women do command ships...

Edit: It doesn't really matter...this is off-topic, anyway.
                          well, if they said that no females do, and i understanding them as saying that no females do, then i did not, in fact, misunderstand them. your argument should be that they are not up to par on the info they're disseminating in class.

tru, my apologies to the mod gods...

back on point: sam may have earned a command of any SG team more than anyone else besides Jack, but she's not exactly "GI". the female cadet from a few seasons back was more "GI" than sam.

Comment

As I've said befor while Carter does have the seniority she was not offically back on the team till like ep7 or 8 of season 9. By that time I got used to Mitchell leading the team and had no real problem to begin with. I'd have to say while on paper Mitchell is leading the team, I'd have to say thAt everyone leads the team. It is a compleate team effort. I am quite happy with the way the team.
                            Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                            "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                            Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Hunter86
                              Two LTC's and 2 civvies on a 4 man team!! Now thats what I call a waste. In reality both would be leading separate teams. A female can lead, sure, if she has the rank she can sure lead.
                              The chain of command is very clear here, thats why it's in place.
                              Just to inject reality into this stupor. For real
                              Vala .. out on her bum, no question, she's a huge security risk as she's already proven. No matter how good looking or flirtatious this babe has a history and can't be trusted, it'll just work against her.
                              I watched season 9 dvd's and from the start it's very disjointed with Cam wandering around wanting to pull all the old members of sg1 back together.
                              In reality he'd be given a squad and told to work with them or given a stack of files and told to pick and that would happen pretty damn quick. The civvies do as their blinking well told by the CO no arguments.
                              SG always does take the military protocol wayyyyyyyyyyyy beyong belief but welcome to TV land
                              It may be a little bit off of reality but not by much. TPTB try their best to be accurate to the military and do have millitary adviors. It may not be 100% accurate but it's close. We make strange beddfellows all the time in real life. This is also what makes a good show. I think it is perfectly executed.
                              Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                              "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                              Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

You DID your time in the Navy. I've been in 20 years and still going. Keep up with the Navy Times:

http://www.nbc6.net/news/4424215/detail.html

"A 27-year Navy veteran, Tyson took command of the 500-ton warship under combat conditions. This meant that the deployment of 2,000 Marines on-ship and the leadership of 1,700 crewmembers in harm's way fell on Tyson, one of about three women ever to command a U.S. combat vessel, "

I know it's off topic...but it really it's not, it's an argument that Sam Carter can lead in combatant situations. Just because she's female does not mean she can't lead. That is so archaic. I'd rather hear because she's a scientist...at least that argument is worth debating over.
                                Last edited by nccjones; 27 July 2006, 03:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X