Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First details on SG-1's 'The Shroud' (SPOILERS)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back on speculations... from JM's blog?
    'Extreme Measures' would be fun to do, especially for its 'Holy &^%@!' tease. 'In the Darkest Recesses' would give me the opportunity to put Michael, I mean Daniel, through the ringer.
    Starting to sound fitting.... And if "Extreme Measures" is indeed The Shroud, then I guess it does point out to Daniel somehow fooling the Orii rather than truely being turned - the title, at least, is more fitting, unless they're going to need Exterme Measures to turn Daniel. Bah.
    Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
    Yes, I am!
    sigpic
    Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
    Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
    Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Originally posted by Pitry
      Back on speculations... from JM's blog?

Starting to sound fitting.... And if "Extreme Measures" is indeed The Shroud, then I guess it does point out to Daniel somehow fooling the Orii rather than truely being turned - the title, at least, is more fitting, unless they're going to need Exterme Measures to turn Daniel. Bah.
      Exactly what I was thinking myself ...and just posted over at OS !
      It definitely hints more towards its being the real Daniel and that he is taking the extreme measures rather. I cant think of any more Holy cr ap teaser than this one, which is why I think it could have the been the original title.
      Please check out my Doctor Who forum at http://tardistales.proboards100.com/index.cgi

There are boards for the classic series and new series and much more.

Comment

Originally posted by DeltaFlyer
        But hey, I'm shallow, I like to see my Danny looking lovely.
        Nothing wrong with that. I'm not looking forward to the prior look.

IMO The ONLY way Daniel would voluntarily become a true prior is if the Ori held something over him so massive it would hold galatic if not universal implications, he certainly wouldn't do it for some selfish reason, that's just not him, I mean this is the guy who deliberately exposed himself to a lethal dose of radiation, knowing he'd suffer a horrifically painful death just to save a planet full of idiots. For him to become a prior he'd have to truly belive that he was doing it for the greater good.

It would either have to be that he feels that this is the only way to beat them, or that he's been convinced that he should join them, not that it would be something where he could get something out of it, but that this is the right thing or the right path. Which of course leads to the question of why he would feel that way.

The fact that he's trying to convert using the 'soft cell' method inidcates that, as in the case of Garak, the priorised person does retain some of their core personality, but it will be interesting to see how he deals with people who just say no. Because, we've already seen that the Ori deal very harshly with those who do not fulfil their role as a prior (Garak busrting in to flame for example), and if they did that to Danny and Oma asceded him that would be such a cop out. If the idea is that Daniel feels he can lessen the subjugation of those who follow the Ori from the inside, well being incinerated would quickly scupper that plan, unless he knows that being killed while priorised would take him to a level if ascension that would enable hom to deal with the Ori on a level playing field, but Daniel becoming an all powerful being would again be a cop out, (part of the appeal of Stargate is the idea of a bunch of normal (and I use the term in it's loosest context :-) people taking on almost impossible odds and succeeding with sheer guts, determination and the unswerving conviction that they are doing the right thing). So, if the core personality remains, that would mean that if Daniel was forced to commit atricities in his role as a prior, and I can't see that the Ori would accept anything less, if he was returned to normal (please that they do), that would leave some pretty devastating emotional scars.
        That's another nightmare for me. Daniel becomes this powerful being to fight the Ori. It would still separate him from the rest of the team. I have this image of the others on the ground or ships, and Daniel floating in the air or something. And, it still makes me wonder if there's some belief that Daniel wasn't enough on his own, so they needed this boost of superpowers for him to be worthy of being a hero.

I must admit I love it when Danny goes 'dark side' (Absolute Power, even though it was a dream, for example.) But I sincerely hope it's not permenent or heralding the departure of the character of Daniel Jackson from the show. Cliched though it may be Jack and Daniel were, and still are my two fave characters, and I miss the J & D interactions like crazy. So, when they do bring Danny back to the 'light side of the force' I do hope Jack's there to help pick up the pieces (assuming TPTB remember that Daniel is a caring sensitive soul who will be screwed up by what happened). That's assuming they don't 'cop out' and give him a convenient bout of amnsesia, or it was a clone, or a 'surgically altered' prior being used to play mind games with SG1 and the SGC.
        I would love for Jack to be there to help Daniel through it. And, I don't think it ruins Daniel for him to go temporarily 'dark side' (it's similar to Teal'c temporarily turning back to believe in Apophis), if he comes back. Because Daniel being himself means that when he comes back, he'll have to be affected by what happens and whatever he does. Like I said, I want shock disgust, and "what have I done?" To me, that would prove that Daniel is still Daniel. He just took a really horrible detour (that's assuming that it's not a trick, that he really does go prior). And, will need a lot to bring him back.
        I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

Well, Daniel's done some silly stuff in the past just out of his own selfish reasons,, like wanting to be a host in order to be near Sha're...

Though becoming a prior is something.. on a whole different scale. :|

UNless the Ori plan on following through in his particular instance...?

Another thing to remember... everyone who's seen the Ori pillar of hate flames turned into a Prior. everyone cept Daniel, who HAS seen it on Celestus, but wasn't turned into a prior.

.. So maybe the Ori put a delay on his transform and just now decided to turn it on?

Comment

Originally posted by Dani347
            For it to make sense, to me, Daniel will have to believe the Ori are right. Because if he's trying to trick the Ori, the soft sell thing is blatantly dumb. You don't infiltrate a group and start messing with the principle ideas and attitudes and expect the members to not be a little suspicious.
            What if Daniel is behaving this way to prove to the Ori that they don't have to kill to get what they want? That the soft sell will actually bring them more followers who are true believers?

Maybe Daniel is blackmailed into agreeing to be a Prior... Adria threatens Earth or his friends in a way that leaves no room for doubt. So he goes along with it, but Daniel being Daniel, he never gives up trying to convince the Priors/Ori that there is a better way to get what they want that will also result in less death and destruction. After all, the soft sell works on Earth religions He could see it as a stalling tactic. Now that implies that becoming a Prior wouldn't change him fundamentally, while we've seen that some Priors forget who they used to be (Cancer man, for one). So perhaps he goes into it thinking he can influence them, and that core part of him stays alive after the transformation.

This is a great thread! I have to heartily agree with Dani and others who are fearful we won't see him return this season, won't see the team caring about him being gone and/or won't see any resolution or effects when he returns. The "Threads" experience, where the team went on with their lives under a convenient and glib denial that he was dead, still makes me want to weep over what might have been...

I hope someone at Bridge is reading y'all's thoughtful comments and that the actual arc has as much depth of thought as this thread does

Comment

I just love all the ideas everyone has about why Daniel is going to undergo this transformation. I'm sure TPTB have thought long and hard about this decision. I can't wait to see the real reasons and ramifications onscreen.
              sigpic
              MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
              "...phu...ah..."
              "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
              Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Something I don't get. This belief of some that Daniel becoming a prior totally destroys his character and he can never be rectified. He's bad, that's it, end of story. There's the potential for this, if they write it badly. But, there's so much more. First, when Teal'c went back to believing Apophis was a god (and would have rejoined him and fought against SG1 and Earth if he had been able to) was his character destroyed? I don't think so.

If they leave Daniel evil, that's destroying him. If they have him callously joining the Ori, while fully aware they're evil, and choosing to be evil (which is different from choosing to follow the Ori, if he somehow is convinced their good) yeah, that totally messes up him being a good guy. And, I don't want him perfect, but I want him good. But, he can still ultimately be a good guy once he's brought back. A good guy who's got a lot of emotional scars to deal with, probably some hefty guilt, but I don't think it automatically turns him into someone who can never be respected or liked again.
                I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

When I read it, my jaw plummeted! I had figured maybe Daniel would seperate himself from the team, or do something really really stupid... BUT not that... after what we have seen...

On the other hand, he has read the Book of Origin ("Camelot").

My guess is this will probably turn out to be one of those "death" arcs for Daniel, such as the Ascended one in S6, and the mini one in S8. That event is bound to make revelations any which way...

Also makes me wonder... Will Daniel be the enemy of S11?

Mattathias

Comment

Originally posted by Mattathias2.0
                    Also makes me wonder... Will Daniel be the enemy of S11?

Mattathias
                    It would be a long story arc for them to do but not sure if they would make one of the characters into a villain that goes into two seasons. It is a possibility though.

'Hallowed are the children of the Ori. CROWD: Hallowed are we. Hallowed are the Ori.' -

'Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the Gods, ships shall be built to carry the warriors out among the stars and we will spread Origin to all the unbelievers. The power of the Ori will be felt far and wide and the wicked shall be vanquished' -

Contribute to the Stargate Wiki a source for any information on the Stargate universe from the books, RPG to games and comics.

Comment

Originally posted by Prior_of_the_Ori
                      It would be a long story arc for them to do but not sure if they would make one of the characters into a villain that goes into two seasons. It is a possibility though.
                      Now that would sure divide Stargate fans, wouldn't it? Half would love that TPTB showed such b****, and the other half would hate them forever for doing that to Daniel.

Personally though, for right now, I'm not too worried about Daniel being evil for long.
                      sigpic
                      MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                      "...phu...ah..."
                      "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                      Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by Mattathias2.0
                        Will Daniel be the enemy of S11?
                        Oh, God, I hope not! I would fall into the category of people that hated TPTB for doing that!
                        I'd still watch the show, but that's not the point...

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man
                          Now that would sure divide Stargate fans, wouldn't it? Half would love that TPTB showed such b****, and the other half would hate them forever for doing that to Daniel.
                          And that would be different from how things are now... how?

Comment

Originally posted by Agent Dark
                            And that would be different from how things are now... how?
                            Ohh it wouldn't be, not by a long shot.

Frankly the idea that everyone is going to be happy with any storyline amuses me.
                            Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

I got 2 idea's one daniel is prior for the alterans and it making people worship them so that the alteran become powerful enough to destroy the ori

or a way to fix him the sgc has his original dna all they need is a hair or skin cell and im sure that they have a sample of his blood right so we they get the asgard to clone his original body and upload him mind into it simple a depriorised daniel
                              War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left.

Comment

Originally posted by Jakebbq
                                or a way to fix him the sgc has his original dna all they need is a hair or skin cell and im sure that they have a sample of his blood right so we they get the asgard to clone his original body and upload him mind into it simple a depriorised daniel
                                And where would they get his mind from? Prior Daniel? Would still be evil... If, that is, he's evil in the first place...

Still can't get over the fact that Daniel's a Prior...

Comment

Working...
                                X