X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sauron18
    I don't think they will, and I don't really "want" them to, but:

Now that they have the ability to build massive space ships, shouldn't they consider moving Stargate Operations to one of these ships, just transferring everyone to the ship (and the stargate). Sort of like the Trust did.
    Naw, I don't think so. A planet is still more secure, even if it's less mobile. Ships tend to get sabotaged, stranded, and blown up too easily. Besides, there is a limit to how many people a ship can support, which would make it harder to relocate people via our Stargate if it were housed on a ship. It would also be nearly impossible to evacuate people on earth if our gate was in orbit.

Comment

Originally posted by The Prophet
      Well that would involve the release of the Stargate Program to the world, which could mean disasterous results: Businesses would want to buy Places on Planets, possibly resulting in the Exploitation of Off-World Civilizations as they have no current "Human Rights", They might be Human, but they aren't from Earth, so there would be tremendous legal ramifactions.

Poorer Countries would want to send people off to planets to start their own life soemwhere else.

People would become incresingly Paranoid, not just from the concept of Aliens but of the Concept that the US Government could keep something from them for so long. They would become Xenophobic, the concept that they are not alone & are in immense peril would drive them insane.

Soon, Different Countries/Businesses would be buying/Taking Planets, starting off the "Star Race" akin to the Space Race, We'd get the Pepsi Empire, The Nike Empire, the McDonald Empire, The British Star Empire, The Scandinavian Empire. Soon, people would forget about Globalisation & think about Galacicisation, or Galacic-Clusterisation.

The Concept of the Alterans creating us & ascending would create a massive Storm from all the religious sides of things, The Vatican would go crazy & possibly Terrorists would target the US for releasing this blaspheme upon them. Buddhists would become Arrogant that they were right & would also be targeted for religious prejudice. People would Start worshipping Origin as an attempt to save their own lives.

The threat of the Ori, besides increasing Religious Hostility would make people try & get a One-way ticket off Earth.

There would be System Lord Rock T-shirts etc. Business with Advanced Tech would sweep the market. if someone got their hands on Crystaline Data Storage it would put Microsoft off the map.

People are just not ready for it, sadly.
      Well, there goes my idea.
      Sad that people just can't handle the truth without going for the profit in it.

Comment

Terraform Mars and build a new facility there...

Comment

Well what would be the point? mars is less safe than earth by a long shot, it would be a waste of resources IMO.
          sigpic
          You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
          Stargate : Genesis |
          Original Starship DesignThread
          Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
          11000! green me

Comment

Look ive been watching this show as long as all of you and im of the opinion that in the natural evolution of things that SGC would have out grown the mountain complex along time ago. You cant launch or recieve puddle jumpers or any kind of craft you could build through that complex its in now. In all reality they keep it in there so as to limit our abilities and make the show more interesting. I think the Antartica idea is a great one, not gonna happen though. You cant even get a Hummer down there to drive through the gate. You know Jack would be driving one with teal'c maning the .40 cal grenade launcher mounted to the roof if they could.

Comment

Well, the perfect outpost would be a City Ship, seeing as how the Ancients chose that as theirs, meaning that they considered it the most effective.

But I don't think that'll happen, at least not show-wise.

Inside the mountain is alright by me, the complex itself is quite large, as we saw in Lockdown:

http://www.stargatesg1971.com/lockdowndvd/PDVD_711.jpg

Comment

Inside the mountain is alright by me, the complex itself is quite large, as we saw in Lockdown:

http://www.stargatesg1971.com/lockdowndvd/PDVD_711.jpg
                That, and it's depth underground is pretty good protection as well.
                sigpic
                MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                "...phu...ah..."
                "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I don't think they will, and I don't really "want" them to, but:

Now that they have the ability to build massive space ships, shouldn't they consider moving Stargate Operations to one of these ships, just transferring everyone to the ship (and the stargate). Sort of like the Trust did.

This would allow them to:

1) Be independent from Intraplanetary conflicts.

2) Have more contained environment (safer for Earth)

3) Can change location

4) Can quickly eject the stargate in "one of those" times.

5) Can dispatch other ships (like tel'tacs, from Hangars), to pick up stranded teams.

In general it would be safer and more efficient I believe.
                  Ahhh then it will truly be the Farscape clone! Will the ship be alive?
                  Would not surprise me one bit!

Comment

Relocating the SGC to a ship? What an asinine idea, if you'll pardon me for saying so. First, if an entire mountain is hard pressed to contain Stargate command, a dinky little ship is going to be a severe step down.

There's the possibility of a city ship, yes, but do you know how many ZPMs would be required to engage the stardrive? They barely have enough for Atlantis as it is and I should think Atlantis's need for power would far outstrip Stargate Command's. And before anyone suggests it, moving the SGC into Atlantis would kill both shows. It'd certainly kill Atlantis, since it'd no longer be unique, different, or even independent. Weir and Shep would both be out of a job and everyone else would very likely get reassigned to who knows where.

Having a mobile command might seem like a good idea, but how could a ship-based series NOT come off sounding like Trek or Farscape? In the right hands, maybe it could be given a unique spin, but from what I've seen, TPTB aren't interested in unique or different, they like tried & true- the more obvious a path is, the more likely they are to take it. The cliches and predictibility would become even MORE overbearing, IMO.

And let's talk about Farscape, shall we? You know, that show starring Ben and Claudia where they run around the galaxy on a ship? We'd have Ben & Claudia running around the galaxy on a ship again, but of course this time it'd be completely different, right? Yeah, right. I'll lay hard money on the eventuality of Atlantis and/or SG-1 procuring their own version of a "living" ship, probably based off the Wraith hiveship design. There's another similarity for ya.

Personally, I'm inclined to think that ships are more vulnerable, not less. Sure, they can run away when things get too heated, but they have to depend entirely upon their shield strength and power for protection, whereas a planet-based command can dig into the ground and use the planet itself as a layer of protection. And how often have we seen those panicky scenes where a ship is engaged in battle and OMG! Shield strength is failing! We're down to 40%!

Idle curiosity: Is there any reason a shield can't be installed around Cheyenne Mountain?

The whole "a roving ship answers to no one" thing sounds dangerously rebellious... and it also means that you take away something I consider one of the SGC's greatest assets: a vested interest in protecting the planet. They're ON Earth, so they care about what happens to it. Send them off into the deeps of space and it's, "Oh well, the Ori are attacking Earth, but we have problems of our own and can't reach them anyway. Ho hum." It makes them too remote and disconnected. Having Stargate Command on Earth makes it personal.

Of course, the reverse of that also poses a problem since having the base on Earth makes Earth a target. Not sure there's much that can be done about that, although I am in favor of other bases being set up on other planets. Alpha Site, Beta, Delta, Gamma, whatever. Granted, you run the risk of "too many generals spoiling the war" but if each base was in charge of a certain sector... *shrug* I dunno. Maybe that isn't any good, either, but I still think a ship-based command is a dangerously stupid idea- both in terms of strategy and storytelling.

I say keep Stargate Command on Earth. There have been enough massive changes already without removing ALL trace of the fundamentals that built the show.

Comment

"I say keep Stargate Command on Earth. There have been enough massive changes already without removing ALL trace of the fundamentals that built the show."

Total changes--isnt that what they are after? Are doing? Have done?
                      It is already a complete mess..................................

Comment

Originally posted by kazzyk
                        Total changes--isnt that what they are after? Are doing? Have done?
                        It is already a complete mess..................................
                        True enough. I suppose now fans will start talking about how "boring" Stargate Command is and it's just "the same lame hallways, all the time" and they want something "new and different" to look at to keep up their interest.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                          True enough. I suppose now fans will start talking about how "boring" Stargate Command is and it's just "the same lame hallways, all the time" and they want something "new and different" to look at to keep up their interest.
                          They could give the halls a makeover! Lol

(Actually I like having the same old hallways. I instantly know which show I'm watching.)

Comment

nah i like the SGC in the mountain

maybe there could move the gamma site to a ship
                            https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by Tiret
                              They could give the halls a makeover! Lol
                              Oh Trading Spaces the Stargate edition

SGC personel can make over an Asgard ship and the Asgard can make over SGC. Just please do not let Hildy be the one making over the SGC

I like the mountain, nothing else could be SGC.
                              Filetta

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                                I didn't make this thread because I thought the Cheyenne mountain complex is boring or anything. Nor because I actually think they'll ever do something like this. I posted it because of the possibilty that it may be safer for their Earth.

(I for one am emotionally attached to the Cheyenne complex)

Comment

Working...
                                X