Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
    to him, some/much of the show's past is 'baggage' that he was stuck with
    Oh my, baggage that entertained for YEARS...that produced thoughtful episodes...you mean cannon? That's okay - if it don't fit, throw it out. /sarcasm
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Nolamom View Post
      Oh my, baggage that entertained for YEARS...that produced thoughtful episodes...you mean cannon? That's okay - if it don't fit, throw it out. /sarcasm
      Its not cannon unless the current show runner says its cannon.

The upside to that is that there is always the possibility that someone at MGM will get a clue and a new showrunner who actually LIKED stargate and that person can undo all that was done with a clever enough plot....it is scifi after all.....and its only cannon if that new guy were to say its cannon.
      Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

The show got screwed when the new tptb decided old canon was old and no longer applied to their NEW show.

At that very moment, Stargate stopped and Stargate Command started. just the name never changed.

TPTB have no one to blame but themselves for the drastic change in canon and in target demographic. They have done everything in their power to change Stargate from the "little show that could" into the big budget, over the top, comedy that SG-1 ended as.

I brought up an interesting question on another thread that nobody was willing to take a real try at answering.

my question was:

if Early Daniel (real Daniel) from season 2 had meet Vala and she acted the same, how would ha have treated her?

I think he would have been trying to get her to talk about being a host and why she ended up scamming people. He would have tried to dig down into her consciousness and make some sort of connection...all while she tried to scam them.

Jack would have been the one warning Daniel to stay away from her.
        Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

During season 2, wasn't Sha're still alive as well? That should have changed Danny boy's outlook considerably.
          Tilting windmills since... well... too long ago to remember...

sigpic

My portfolio and repository:
          http://z13.invisionfree.com/Peregrine_Design/

Comment

Originally posted by Silverwings View Post
            During season 2, wasn't Sha're still alive as well? That should have changed Danny boy's outlook considerably.

Well, that and TPTB would never have written an offensive character like that. They had more class then. ((((Gekko))))

suse
            Last edited by suse; 22 April 2008, 07:01 PM.
            sigpic
            Mourning Sanctuary.
            Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post
              Well, that and TPTB would never have written an offensive character like that. They had more class then. ((((Gekko))))

suse
              Yep, can't see a character like Vala written in the early SG-1 days.
              Odo's last wishes: cremate me, put me in my bucket, then shoot me through the wormhole.

Rogue

Comment

glassner and gekko wouldn't have allowed her.

now vala the haunted ex-host and refugee who's a bit of a rogue, sure.

vala the vamp in her bustier and hitting on daniel every 5 minutes? no. not on a regular basis.
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

The closest character we had to Vala earlier on was Anise, but even she wasn't as bad...and didn't last long
                  sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Silverwings View Post

suse
                    Originally posted by Rogue View Post
                    Yep, can't see a character like Vala written in the early SG-1 days.
                    glassner and gekko wouldn't have allowed her.

now vala the haunted ex-host and refugee who's a bit of a rogue, sure.

vala the vamp in her bustier and hitting on daniel every 5 minutes? no. not on a regular basis.
                    Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
                    The closest character we had to Vala earlier on was Anise, but even she wasn't as bad...and didn't last long
                    I was talking hypothetically...of course gekko wouldn't have allowed it...I'm sure the writers knew that and threw her at us after tptb changed hands.

I was talking about Daniel...not Vala or the tptb. How early Daniel was a completely different person compared to later Daniel and hypothetically how he would have reacted to such an extreme character.

Let's pretend Vala from season 10 went back in time and meet Daniel from season 2 or 3...share is dead...okay!

How would Daniel's attitude and behavior towards Vala would have differed between to the season 9 action jackson and Real Daniel.

Early Daniel was more like Tomin. (I'm sure Vala's thought would have been: What the hell happened to him? How did he go from being sweet to an obnoxious jerk.)

From Daniel' POV, Vala would be a surviving host that would have input into exactly what it was like for Sha're as a host. Wouldn't that play heavy into his reasoning for trying to communicate with her?
                    Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
                      and why did anise not last long???

fans hated her and hated her attitude thus, after her initial 3 eps run, she was dropped

sigpic

Comment

Snippet from a recent R Cooper interview:

"Once again, Mitchell gets put through the ringer. Has it become a guilty pleasure to watch him take some serious lumps?

He is just very good at it. There is something about seeing a hero get the crap beat out of him and survive. The harder the journey for the hero, the more you like him in the end. Ben Browder happens to be very good at having the crap beat out of him."

Jeepers this bolded part seems so gratuitous and forced from RC, he strikes me as a guy who thinks if he says something enough it'll miraculously come true sort of like this "see, if we beat him up enough you WILL like him". A lot of what I see and read around various places is people tired of seeing CM being beat up all the time - seems that is all he is good for and that's the "role" they gave BB as CM - he clearly didn't fit into the team any other way so he is the guy that gets beat up.

I've seen RC say things like this in other interviews like he's trying to convince people to stop disliking something (like seasons 9-10). Sort of how they had Carter tell Teal'c how she likes his new hairstyle to make a dig at the fans who had pretty much expressed a greater dislike than like for it, talk about desperate, again a quote from what the discussion may have sounded like in writing room "well they don't like his hair buit if we have Carter say she likes it then they will HAVE to like it cuz Carter says so, ok let's go with that then."

The other thing I saw about the interview was RC's answer to why the Replicators were included (an area of the movie routinely criticized by many, many fans for being way out of touch) and he said they were included because "he likes them",. Ringy-dingy!!!! There's our answer boys and girls and it is a theme heard through seasons 9-10 and from several other of the PTBs (Joe Mallozzi comes immediately into memory)' they did what THEY liked, what THEY thought was fun and there goes the show and the AoT movie right behind it into the dump.

I'm sooo sooo happy that Brad Wright handled Continuum alone - I can just feel that it will be so much better than seasons 9-10 and AoT. It, I think, will remain true to Stargate SG-1 and it's core main characters of Jack, Sam, Daniel and Teal'c. Sure Mitchell may be there but I sincerely hope he will be minimized and it already sounds like
                        Spoiler:
                        Vala is
                        so it should be all good.

Comment

you know, i'm all for whump. It's fun and it can lead to development. but it, like anything, can be overdone.

and cameron the punching bag just made me sigh and i was like - when watching AOT-
                          Spoiler:
                          'dude, give the mana break, whose wise ass idea was it to spoof terminator and have the poor human take n the cyborg?'

coop needs to learn, all things in moderation

Kids like candy, but any parent that let them eat nothing but candy 'because they like it' would have his/her head examined

Keep things in 'rarity' and we'll appreciate it more when we get it, rather than getting bored with it

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jackie View Post
                            The show got screwed when the new tptb decided old canon was old and no longer applied to their NEW show.

At that very moment, Stargate stopped and Stargate Command started. just the name never changed.

TPTB have no one to blame but themselves for the drastic change in canon and in target demographic. They have done everything in their power to change Stargate from the "little show that could" into the big budget, over the top, comedy that SG-1 ended as.

I brought up an interesting question on another thread that nobody was willing to take a real try at answering.

my question was:

if Early Daniel (real Daniel) from season 2 had meet Vala and she acted the same, how would ha have treated her?

I think he would have been trying to get her to talk about being a host and why she ended up scamming people. He would have tried to dig down into her consciousness and make some sort of connection...all while she tried to scam them.

Jack would have been the one warning Daniel to stay away from her.

suse
                            and why did anise not last long???

fans hated her and hated her attitude thus, after her initial 3 eps run, she was dropped
                            to all of the above. Anise was fine as a short term antagonist but the whole Tok'ra Spice thing was clearly pandering to the hormonal boy part of the demographic it was resisted by the SG audience.

Comment

Originally posted by BPC View Post

The other thing I saw about the interview was RC's answer to why the Replicators were included (an area of the movie routinely criticized by many, many fans for being way out of touch) and he said they were included because "he likes them",. Ringy-dingy!!!! There's our answer boys and girls and it is a theme heard through seasons 9-10 and from several other of the PTBs (Joe Mallozzi comes immediately into memory)' they did what THEY liked, what THEY thought was fun and there goes the show and the AoT movie right behind it into the dump.
                              I wouldn't have cared that his "motivation" for including the Replicators was that he likes them if he had then bothered to write a way of including them that made any sense. When you're watching a movie and you're thinking that the script was done on a template, it's a bad sign. You know stuff like:

w minutes in: time to blow something up
                              x minutes in: insert Carter technobabble line
                              y minutes in: insert replicators
                              z minutes in: time for Cam to have an action scene where he gets OTT beaten upand blow more stuff up

Comment

Originally posted by BPC View Post
                                Snippet from a recent R Cooper interview:

"Once again, Mitchell gets put through the ringer. Has it become a guilty pleasure to watch him take some serious lumps?

He is just very good at it. There is something about seeing a hero get the crap beat out of him and survive. The harder the journey for the hero, the more you like him in the end. Ben Browder happens to be very good at having the crap beat out of him."

Jeepers this bolded part seems so gratuitous and forced from RC, he strikes me as a guy who thinks if he says something enough it'll miraculously come true sort of like this "see, if we beat him up enough you WILL like him". A lot of what I see and read around various places is people tired of seeing CM being beat up all the time - seems that is all he is good for and that's the "role" they gave BB as CM - he clearly didn't fit into the team any other way so he is the guy that gets beat up.

I've seen RC say things like this in other interviews like he's trying to convince people to stop disliking something (like seasons 9-10). Sort of how they had Carter tell Teal'c how she likes his new hairstyle to make a dig at the fans who had pretty much expressed a greater dislike than like for it, talk about desperate, again a quote from what the discussion may have sounded like in writing room "well they don't like his hair buit if we have Carter say she likes it then they will HAVE to like it cuz Carter says so, ok let's go with that then."

I'm sooo sooo happy that Brad Wright handled Continuum alone - I can just feel that it will be so much better than seasons 9-10 and AoT. It, I think, will remain true to Stargate SG-1 and it's core main characters of Jack, Sam, Daniel and Teal'c. Sure Mitchell may be there but I sincerely hope he will be minimized and it already sounds like
                                Spoiler:
                                Vala is
                                so it should be all good.

I got that same impression when Sam told Vala she deserved to be a team member of SG-1. Wow if Sam said it, it must be true. It shows desperation on the part of TPTB to have Vala accepted. If they had wrote a likeable character the fans wouldn't needed to be told to accept Vala, they would have on their own. It seems TPTB are into telling us instead of showing us.
                                Odo's last wishes: cremate me, put me in my bucket, then shoot me through the wormhole.

Rogue

Comment

Working...
                                X