S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AGateFan View Post
    They are fan favorites of the new (fewer) fans to the show. There are other fans with other favorites but tptb dont give a rats arse about us.
    That's it in a nutshell. The old fans don't count anymore to them, just the shiny, new fans of the shiny, new 'gate.

Comment

Originally posted by saberhagen83 View Post
      I'm still not sure if I will buy S9/10 on DVD, the only reason I'm still unsure is because AT is still in it. I only still watch the show because of her and well I like to stay positive in my fantasy world that it will get better . Don't like the plot and the characters all that much anymore...new or old. It will be the same with the movies. With AT moving to SGA, I'm not even sure if she will be in both, or any of the movies. They were after all willing to ship her of before for stupid reasons.
      Same here. As much as I've been a Daniel fan (though I've lost a fair amount of respect for him over S9/10) the only reason I'm watching is because AT is still there. And a huge reason that I'm disliking S10 (besides Vaniel) is because she's being treated as wallpaper, right along with Teal'c.

Comment

Originally posted by saberhagen83 View Post
        I agree. I will likely NOT buy these two movies if they are just gonna go on and on with what they have given us in S9/10. If they have RDA and Gekko back, I could at least expect some more positives about them, they did great with the show so I would like to think they could do a good job with the two movies. I wonder if MGM only wants to sell copies to those who enjoy S9/10 or to both those and the older fans that have given up on the show?
        Well, only the beancounters at MGM know how many Season 9 DVD's have sold relative to previous seasons. It's hard for us to speculate. Those sales figures would be part of their calculations of how many movie DVD's would potentially sell in a "non-RDA" situation vs. having RDA in the cast. If, for example, Season 8 with RDA sold a little better, the advantage in revenue would have to be greater than the cost of adding him to the production of these new movies. If they are selling just the same. They know that too.

I have no doubt that these calculations have already been made. That's what beancounters do.

Personally, I wouldn't dismiss the possibility that MGM will sell the rights to air the movies to SciFi instead of "straight to DVD". This all has the air of a high stakes poker game to me. MGM could be counting on SciFi to get desperate for programming--which is a possibility with BSG waning--and offer to buy the rights to the movies.

I haven't quite decided whether I would buy these DVD movies. I've never bought any Stargate DVD's. I'd prefer them to cut a deal with SciFi myself. That way I can keep paying for Stargate what I think it's worth--just being a small part of my cable bill. (aka "very little")

Comment

I cannot imagine Season 9 selling better then the earlier seasons of SG-1.Anything is possible.I cannot see the DVD Movies being a big hit if no RDA and more of the same from Season 9 and 10.

Comment

Originally posted by ses110 View Post
            I cannot imagine Season 9 selling better then the earlier seasons of SG-1.Anything is possible.I cannot see the DVD Movies being a big hit if no RDA and more of the same from Season 9 and 10.
            do they count the sales by number of sold or amount of money made? Fry's here in Austin anyway has sold them for 19.99 (thin box) and just recently seasons 1-7 for 18.99. this is quite a drop from what they normally sell for. imagine Fry's using Stargate as a loss leader.
            Franklin said, "They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

"Do or do not. There is no try." Yoda

Comment

Originally posted by pittsburghgirl View Post
              do they count the sales by number of sold or amount of money made? Fry's here in Austin anyway has sold them for 19.99 (thin box) and just recently seasons 1-7 for 18.99. this is quite a drop from what they normally sell for. imagine Fry's using Stargate as a loss leader.
              I was just looking on GW's home page and Atlantis S1 is selling for $43.19 and S9 SG1 is $34.99, special price? Or specially priced because sales are down
              sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Money, of course. It's all about money.

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
                  I was just looking on GW's home page and Atlantis S1 is selling for $43.19 and S9 SG1 is $34.99, special price? Or specially priced because sales are down
                  They're the same price at Amazon.

Comment

So that would seem to indicate a recognition that there isn't as much of a demand for season 9. Shocked and amazed here.
                    sigpic

Comment

C'mon let's be fair.

They could be trying to increase sales and therefore profit by marginally reducing the price .................

Nah, I don't believe it either but hey - I'm really biased I turned down a free S9 boxset!

Strange that the discounted thingy seems to be happening in quite a few places for S9. I noticed that here in Aus that the new Atlantis S2 boxset is selling for around $20 more than S9. What about in other places?
                      -

Comment

Originally posted by RealmOfX View Post
                        C'mon let's be fair.

They could be trying to increase sales and therefore profit by marginally reducing the price .................

Nah, I don't believe it either but hey - I'm really biased I turned down a free S9 boxset!

Strange that the discounted thingy seems to be happening in quite a few places for S9. I noticed that here in Aus that the new Atlantis S2 boxset is selling for around $20 more than S9. What about in other places?
                        I am so disgusted with the show I have not even checked prices, lest someone at amazon get confused and think I am interested or something. Same with Bestbuy. I was checking out a new DVD cabinet and I grabbed box sets 1-8 to see how much room I would have left for my Xbox games once those were in made a point of not touching S9.
                        Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Lower price gives me a reason to rebuy the seasons that my son has scratched up. But S9, I wouldn't take a free copy. It would just be collecting dust on my shelf. IMO, S8 was the last season of SG-1. S9 and S10 is a new show about SG-1 in a different timeline.
                          Odo's last wishes: cremate me, put me in my bucket, then shoot me through the wormhole.

Rogue

Comment

Originally posted by RealmOfX View Post
                            C'mon let's be fair.

Here in the UK we don't get the S9 boxset until the new year, but we have had individual volumes on sale for months. I've noticed that on Play.com the volumes are all reduced, most selling for £13.99 instead of the original price of £19.99. You can see some of these prices here.
                            Even the pre-order price for the S9 boxsets has been reduced.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dipsofjazz View Post
                              Here in the UK we don't get the S9 boxset until the new year, but we have had individual volumes on sale for months. I've noticed that on Play.com the volumes are all reduced, most selling for £13.99 instead of the original price of £19.99. You can see some of these prices here.
                              Even the pre-order price for the S9 boxsets has been reduced.
                              When you have experienced the real thing second best (ha) will just not do.
                              sigpic
                              Distinguished Service Ribbon Goa'uld Campaign
                              My Stories zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Artwork by Mala

Comment

Originally posted by JessM View Post
                                Same here. As much as I've been a Daniel fan (though I've lost a fair amount of respect for him over S9/10) the only reason I'm watching is because AT is still there. And a huge reason that I'm disliking S10 (besides Vaniel) is because she's being treated as wallpaper, right along with Teal'c.
                                Yeah. I used to love all the characters on the show, the new characters I don't care about, they don't interest me the slightest. I'm all for new people, but they need to be introduced well and at the same time they can't just throw the old into the background. Daniel, as you say, I have lost some respect for in recent years. He has changed so much I can hardly see the old Daniel anymore. And Sam/Teal'c is wallpaper. Such a waste of talented actors!

Comment

Working...
                                X