No announcement yet.

S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

they may have had more fun with rick and gekko gone...but they 'funned' themselves into cancellation

which speaks for itself
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Though many would point out that skiffy "non renewed" the show due to cost...I would have to ask if the ratings held at season 8 levels would skiffy had been so quick to cancel knowing they could charge more for advertising if rating held out?

Few other things bother me about the premise of the franchise.

First our own galaxy must be tiny cause we are already going to other galaxies millions of light years away.after only 8 years of exploring.

Next, there only seems to be a handful of races in a galaxy (ours) that is equal in size to the Andromeda galaxy which has millions of stars and millions of planets that could possible be just like Earth.

my other complaint is the lack of creativity. The Bori were next big baddie and they were just so ho-hum they bored people to tears.

Of course, lack of creativity is always answered with blowing something or SOMEONE up....the Asgard for example.
      Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackie View Post
        Of course, lack of creativity is always answered with blowing something or SOMEONE up....the Asgard for example.
        or the Prometheus
        sigpic
        The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

I'm sorry, were you saying something? I was busy watching particle effects and shiny stuff. And then there's that outfit... yowza!

Asgard... those are the alien dudes, right? Freaky little intellectuals. They don't fit anyways.
          Tilting windmills since... well... too long ago to remember...

sigpic

My portfolio and repository:
          http://z13.invisionfree.com/Peregrine_Design/

Comment

Originally posted by Silverwings View Post
            I'm sorry, were you saying something? I was busy watching particle effects and shiny stuff. And then there's that outfit... yowza!

Asgard... those are the alien dudes, right? Freaky little intellectuals. They don't fit anyways.
            Not even sure what you are talking about.

Comment

ROFLMAO. Yeah, you cant write a script? Dont worry about it, just put the boys and girls in tight leather and you dont need no stinking script. But a few explosions always help.

That seems to be the theme of the new stargate. Where the old stargate was kinda frumpy, useful military gear and actually thinking your way out of stuff instead of stealing the next big alien gun.

Asgard ruled, it was one of the shinning examples of them taking a earth myth and making it something special, and RCC just threw it away so they could have more alien technology without stealing because of course we are such a mature race that the Asgard will just hand over everything too us. The Tollan wouldnt live on our planet because were primatives but the Asgard will give us all their supergear 7 or so years later.....what a load, especially given SG-1 lower moral standards in the last two years.
              Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

I'm confused. Can you clairfy the above please.

Comment

Sigh. Note to self: Don't attempt satire online.

AGateFan got it: I'm pretty staunchly against the idiocy that manifested itself in season 9 and 10. Booms, boobs and FX do not make a show better.

I'm also agreeing with Jackie's post that I quoted, to wit, the distraction of blowing something up is the stopgap for the inability to actually write anything worth watching. If you can score the dumb teenager demographic by pandering to the baser instincts and ADHD lifestyle, it gooses your viewership numbers sufficiently that it's not apparent (at first) that the show is a hollow mockery of itself.

sigpic

Comment

IMHO, coop killed the asgard to give himself an endless supply of deus ex machina to bail future weak stories out

in my opinion, a very poor reason

sigpic

Comment

Not even sure what you are talking about.
                      He was joking about special effects and dominatrix costumes seem to be the eye-catchers for sci-fi, not good stories that adhere to canon.

Got a good snicker from me.

suse
                      sigpic
                      Mourning Sanctuary.
                      Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan View Post
                        ROFLMAO. Yeah, you cant write a script? Dont worry about it, just put the boys and girls in tight leather and you dont need no stinking script. But a few explosions always help.

That seems to be the theme of the new stargate. Where the old stargate was kinda frumpy, useful military gear and actually thinking your way out of stuff instead of stealing the next big alien gun.

Asgard ruled, it was one of the shinning examples of them taking a earth myth and making it something special, and RCC just threw it away so they could have more alien technology without stealing because of course we are such a mature race that the Asgard will just hand over everything too us. The Tollan wouldnt live on our planet because were primatives but the Asgard will give us all their supergear 7 or so years later.....what a load, especially given SG-1 lower moral standards in the last two years.

<<snicker>> And that doesn't even count the sexually-harassing-slaving-thief- 'whorelette'-who-was-bimboized-in-s10 brought to the mix.

suse
                        sigpic
                        Mourning Sanctuary.
                        Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Sigh. Note to self: Don't attempt satire online.

AGateFan got it: I'm pretty staunchly against the idiocy that manifested itself in season 9 and 10. Booms, boobs and FX do not make a show better.

I'm also agreeing with Jackie's post that I quoted, to wit, the distraction of blowing something up is the stopgap for the inability to actually write anything worth watching. If you can score the dumb teenager demographic by pandering to the baser instincts and ADHD lifestyle, it gooses your viewership numbers sufficiently that it's not apparent (at first) that the show is a hollow mockery of itself.
                          Ah, I'm fairly clueless when it comes to reading satire.

Of course the idiocy still manifest into SGA and AoT. Not sure about Continuum...kind of worried when I read about how much stuff was supposed to be bigger than ever before. Hope that's not another sign of overindulging themselves with special effects and not much else.

just a suggestion...place your scene when writing the satire.

example:

FADE IN: SATIRE - SITTING AND WATCHING TV

SPACE SHIP BLEW UP

ME

END SCENE

state real opinion down here.....

format makes everything.

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                          IMHO, coop killed the asgard to give himself an endless supply of deus ex machina to bail future weak stories out

Yep..he PO'ed more viewers in one ep than in 10 years of SG-1. Of all the lame, dumb a$$ things to do. One thing to have Thor die giving them a secret weapon but another to have the whole bunch kill themselves. It sends a horrific message to the viewers, it's nothing more than a badly written plot device.

Is coop and the boys so out of touch with the fan base that them make death a joke, (exploding tumor) Suicide a foreseeable solution (asgard) and date rape (irresponsible) a hip joke?

The "no one ever really dies in sci-fi" excuse does not even begin to touch the rest of the issues.

It's okay to place a thief and con artist on a primary team, especially of she vulnerable to the enemy. (Vala)

It's okay to send a bunch of scientist to another planet in another galaxy not knowing if they will survive past a day...yet you plan on launching a space ship to be there in a year. (having the Deadelus come to the rescue made no sense. Why would we send them by gate when we could have sent the whole SGA gang to be there a year later by ship?)

Never talk about a friend or loved family member after they die?

It's okay to wipe out an entire race of beings just because you don't agree with them.

Make sure you hand a weapon to a scientist who never handled a handgun in his life. (rodney and the clip falling out)

And above all..make sure you tease you fan base with hinted relationships that go nowhere.

Comment

Aye, satire doesn't translate well online. I should know that by now.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post

Very poor indeed. He probably also didn't care since he didn't invent them.

Comment

to him, some/much of the show's past is 'baggage' that he was stuck with

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X