No announcement yet.

S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the 'ring around vala' bit would have been okay h ad it been slower. it was so fast that it was nauseating, just from a motion sickness POV
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I just don't understand WHY you would make a STARGATE show about starships? Why wouldn't you just name it something else and start over. I mean the STARGATE is the entire freaking point of STARGATE (imagine that). Its the worst wallpapered and abused of the main "characters".

Stargate, Carter, Teal'c, poor Daniel, Asgard, Jacob even Ba'tec was a shadow of himself, letting a N00b like Cam lecture him, when HE used to lecture the much more mature and much better warrior O'Neill.

I have no idea how anyone can still consider this stargate. It is a complete an utter dismemberment of the "franchise". Stargate will never be stargate again until they change TPTB to a TPTB who actually LIKED and RESPECTED what stargate was and dont have desires to make their own cheesy scifi show. Of course, now its too late since this TPTB have so destroyed the stargate universe.

The new show should be Stargate Alternate Universe (where there is no actual stargate).
      Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Because now they're entirely missing the point of the franchise?

The idea behind having stargates was to have a space travel exploration without the spaceships, and to lock us into the here and now aspect.
        I just can't see much use being made of the stargate after the initial getting them to the ship. If the only way to get on and off the ship was to use the onboard stargate then I might be interested, but S8,9, and 10 (and SGA) suggests that isn't an idea which appeals to them.

SGU is verging on using the brand as a lazy way to attract viewers.
        Just like Stargate Command.

Comment

You know, if they had any kind of actual restrictions on the ships (like more mature scifi shows) then the stargates would still be useful as the most effcient means of travel. Nearly instantaneous planetary travel would trump long weeks/months/years in space. Of course stargate ships travel at the speed of plot so there is never any need for the stargate.

They can't have any type of voyager type show because the ship would be home in a week from anyplace in the freaking universe it would appear. I also cant freaking stand how they act like the entire Milkyway has been explored. It shows a complete lack of any kind of grasp of the reality of how big a "galaxy" is. And now they want to explore the entire "universe", that will take them what, a month? Oh wait, that wouldnt fit the plot, suddenly they will have restrictions....until it doesnt fit the plot.
          Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

You mean like they did when Earth built spaceships first appeared, and TPTB stressed the importance of Prometheus not being finished/working which fit with the idea of not letting them keep any technology which would make the plots to easy to fix?
            Gosh, imagine a Stargate show like that.

And we couldn't call the get-out-of-jail-free moments deus ex machinas, because, hey, they've already told us it's a super amazing Ancient ship so all plot defying technology has already been pre-acknowledged.

On the other hand, they haven't managed to grasp any sense of canon universe within the current two shows, so not being technologically able to get back, or go anywhere useful, (until season 2 ) will not be that much of a surprise.
            Last edited by smurf; 06 April 2008, 06:18 AM. Reason: missing "not"

Comment

what made stargate originally fun was the idea that anyone could be part of it. anyone could step through that gate

but the obsession they have with space ships????

it takes away the uniqueness and demotes the show to the ranks of just another space ship show
              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan View Post
                You know, if they had any kind of actual restrictions on the ships (like more mature scifi shows) then the stargates would still be useful as the most effcient means of travel. Nearly instantaneous planetary travel would trump long weeks/months/years in space. Of course stargate ships travel at the speed of plot so there is never any need for the stargate.

They can't have any type of voyager type show because the ship would be home in a week from anyplace in the freaking universe it would appear. I also cant freaking stand how they act like the entire Milkyway has been explored. It shows a complete lack of any kind of grasp of the reality of how big a "galaxy" is. And now they want to explore the entire "universe", that will take them what, a month? Oh wait, that wouldnt fit the plot, suddenly they will have restrictions....until it doesnt fit the plot.
                If the show were to employ ships they should be:

much smaller
                not have asgard beams
                not have an asgard core
                not have a long range of service
                the engine should be more realistic to what earth could master on it's own after exploring the galaxy for a meager 10 years
                would love a ship that was more realistic than star trek...like one with no gravity.
                no energy shields...shields should be more blast doors.
                have a ship limited in size, range, capacity and arms.
                not be shaped like battle star galactica.
                shape would be dictated by re-entry force. would have to be close to the shuttle, a saucer, a cone or a triangle. (shuttle is triangle)

would like to see a vehicle that would still be launched into space with rockets.

of course, that would require actual effort in the writing. Guess that won't happen either.

So much for the stargate in the show. Just another attempt at Stargate Command. This time it's a brand new show placed under an old label for the sheer purpose of selling it.

Kind of like going to mcdonald's and seeing a new item on the menu...listed under new gourmet meal...only to find it's actually tripe.

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                what made stargate originally fun was the idea that anyone could be part of it. anyone could step through that gate

but the obsession they have with space ships????

it takes away the uniqueness and demotes the show to the ranks of just another space ship show
                my theory is that the boys are of the star trek generation. They grew up watching trek and consciously or subconsciously they are trying to make their own version of star trek. totally throwing Devlin's stargate out the window in the process but using the name for sales pitches.
                Last edited by Jackie; 06 April 2008, 12:09 PM.
                Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

I understand the need for upgrades and advencements. I really do. If there were no advancements the program would have had to be shut down. But they pushed it too far. In "Within the Serpant's Grasp" Apophis should have spend a year getting to Earth, instead it only took him a day. A DAY.

I agree with Jackie about what the ships should be like. There is no more suspense in the episodes.

Oh, the team got in trouble again, we'll just send the Oddy to go and get them. They should be home for dinner.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jasminaGo View Post
                    I understand the need for upgrades and advencements. I really do. If there were no advancements the program would have had to be shut down. But they pushed it too far. In "Within the Serpant's Grasp" Apophis should have spend a year getting to Earth, instead it only took him a day. A DAY.

I agree with Jackie about what the ships should be like. There is no more suspense in the episodes.

Oh, the team got in trouble again, we'll just send the Oddy to go and get them. They should be home for dinner.
                    lol....

home for dinner and making dessert. exploring space has now become a 8 hour day job with weekends off.
                    Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

Originally posted by smurf View Post
                      Because now they're entirely missing the point of the franchise?

The idea behind having stargates was to have a space travel exploration without the spaceships, and to lock us into the here and now aspect.
                      I just can't see much use being made of the stargate after the initial getting them to the ship. If the only way to get on and off the ship was to use the onboard stargate then I might be interested, but S8,9, and 10 (and SGA) suggests that isn't an idea which appeals to them.

SGU is verging on using the brand as a lazy way to attract viewers.
                      Just like Stargate Command.

I won't be watching this "new" show.

Comment

Yea I think when the PTB totally forget what the show was based on, it was time to get new PTB...too bad it's too late for that now.
                        sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

sigpic

Comment

I think making RCC show runner affected everything so badly that nothing else could make it worse at this point. Well until he kills off all the classic SG-1 characters since his character assassinations didnt quite finish them off so people still pine for them and mock his new "vision".

Of course then the classic SG-1 characters much like the Asgard will be Martyers calling more people to the Anti - Stargate Command cause and maybe someday we will get a show runner that will bring back STARGATE.

Of course it will be too late for the main cast but its scifi so the Asgard can be saved along with the Stargate galaxy where STARGATES are the preferred means of travel. However at this point I would take the Delvin Stargate "vision" over the current bastrdization of the Classic SG-1 vision.

Comment

Where did the movie makers want to take the story?
                              Tilting windmills since... well... too long ago to remember...

sigpic

My portfolio and repository:
                              http://z13.invisionfree.com/Peregrine_Design/

Comment

This thread couldn't affect anything badly....Coop's already done that
                                sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Working...
                                X