• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Face it, there are a lot of masochists that hang around here...hehhehe
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rogue View Post
      I think the real reason is that he can't come up with a valid explaination for most of what he has introduced.
      Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
      i tend to agree. i think he gets frustrated with fans' demands of explanations because they're asking for something he can't give.

Agreed. I don't ask for every plot detail to have a little bow to finish wrapping it up. I do expect major changes to be explained.

Someone on another thread (Feel free to delete this if this crosses any lines with talking about people) brought up Joe M's reasons for it being impossible for the writers to break canon as they *create* canon and anything they write is canon.
      Blog on 5/10/2007:

"Anonymous #1 also writes: “the command issue (newbie who never saw the Stargate versus 8 year veteran who spent 7 years as 2IC and 1 year as leader of SG-1); Vala’s childish, immature innuendo; the Landry/Lam soap-opera that begs the regs question; etc., were inappropriate and illogical within the Stargate history — the CANON of the show..”

Answer: The command issue obviously did not sit well with you, but it made sense within the narrative framework: Mitchell is charged with the task of putting together a new SG-1 team after the original members have gone their separate ways. Given my time online, I have to conclude that your dislike of the Vala character is an opinion not shared by the majority of fans. As for the “Landry/Lam soap opera” begging the regs - the situation was unique but not unprecedented. As for any of these creative decisions being inappropriate or illogical within the Stargate history and canon of the show - we establish show canon so, at the end of the day and despite your feelings otherwise, they are appropriate and perfectly logical."

That's ridiculous. It's like if they said that in S9 zats disintigrate on the 4th shot even though we have 8 seasons of it on the 3rd. Is it canon that now it's on the 4th shot because they say so?

Suspension of disbelief = Shot three times darnit!

suse
      Last edited by suse; 09 April 2008, 04:57 PM.
      sigpic
      Mourning Sanctuary.
      Thanks for the good times!

Comment

the english translation: i write it and i can do whatever i want so stop complaining about it and instead tell me how much you love it
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

It's a ridicules answer to a good question, though I would have worded Vala differently to not put the man on the offensive. Must remember, Vala is their baby.

He basically just said..."I write what I want too. My other fans love it and since I write this tripe I can call it canon...nanananana."

I don't bother with JM's blog or Coop's interview. Why punish myself even further?

I am currently learning how to screen write. Hope to someday come up with something far more interesting than the tripe we've got on TV and in theaters now.
          Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
            the english translation: i write it and i can do whatever i want so stop complaining about it and instead tell me how much you love it

Yeah, I read it that way too.

suse
            sigpic
            Mourning Sanctuary.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackie View Post
              It's a ridicules answer to a good question, though I would have worded Vala differently to not put the man on the offensive. Must remember, Vala is their baby.

He basically just said..."I write what I want too. My other fans love it and since I write this tripe I can call it canon...nanananana."

I don't bother with JM's blog or Coop's interview. Why punish myself even further?

I am currently learning how to screen write. Hope to someday come up with something far more interesting than the tripe we've got on TV and in theaters now.
              Good luck. Unfortunately, tripe sells. Look at wrestling.

Take a look at J Michael Straczynski's Guide to Screenwriting. I'm sure it's out of print so sould be cheap online. It's cool.

Suse
              sigpic
              Mourning Sanctuary.

Comment

suse gave a great mention of JMS. You might also look at The Lurkers Guide to Babylon 5 too.

http://www.midwinter.com/lurk/lurker.html

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post
                  Good luck. Unfortunately, tripe sells. Look at wrestling.

Take a look at J Michael Straczynski's Guide to Screenwriting. I'm sure it's out of print so sould be cheap online. It's cool.

Suse
                  lol...I have no intension of putting anything on skiffy. I only have one sci-fi script I'm writing and two that are literary type fiction. One musical play.

the sci-fiction is the longest and would require a huge budget for special effects. Doubt I will sell it due to that fact to begin with. I'm also putting it in a novel form with intent to publish...somehow.

the one I might be able to sell is also a short book. It's about 2 kids (a handicapped girl and her big brother) trying to get a pet turkey named potatoes to president Lincoln to pardon during the war. The girl wants to save the turkey from becoming dinner while the boy just wants to go to see his father stationed in DC. It's along the lines of something from mark twian with misadventures.

But yes...tripe sells. Anything with boobs, butts and bombs for the most part.

Seems TV had better programing when I was a kid. MASH, Magnum PI, (bunch of detective show) Airwolf (good for the first 3 seasons) Golden Girls was funny, never really liked dukes of hazard...that's a guy show for sure.

How Stargate franchise is becoming The Dikes of Hazard.

The General Lee = puddle jumper.
                  Bo and luke duke = Shep and McKay, Mitchell and Daniel.
                  Daisy Duke = Dr. Keller, Vala, Teyla.
                  Uncle Jessie = General Hammond, Dr. Weir and recently Sam Carter.
                  Roscoe = Micheal the wraith
                  Enos = Todd the wraith, Teal'c
                  Boss Hogg = Ba'al without a doubt.
                  Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

Agreed. I don't ask for every plot detail to have a little bow to finish wrapping it up. I do expect major changes to be explained.

Someone on another thread (Feel free to delete this if this crosses any lines with talking about people) brought up Joe M's reasons for it being impossible for the writers to break canon as they *create* canon and anything they write is canon.

That's ridiculous. It's like if they said that in S9 zats disintigrate on the 4th shot even though we have 8 seasons of it on the 3rd. Is it canon that now it's on the 4th shot because they say so?

Suspension of disbelief = Shot three times darnit!

suse
                    reminds me of a poster in my olden college days

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but in reality, what you thought, was not what I meant." (or something close-will have to look it up)
                    Franklin said, "They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

"Do or do not. There is no try." Yoda

Comment

Just because it's canon doesn't mean that it's good canon, or that it actually makes anything that even vaguely resembles sense.

In fairness, though, even if one or more of the writers feels that they made a wrong turn, they can't exactly come out and say it, not as long as TPTB think they made the right call, or want it to look that way. It'd be a tough position; even if they think that Mitchell and Vala's intros were ridiculous, even if they would kill for a time machine to go back and change it, they could still be expected to spout the party line and insist that it was the best decision they ever made.

If, however, they actually agree with said party line, I have no sympathy for them.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX View Post
                        Just because it's canon doesn't mean that it's good canon, or that it actually makes anything that even vaguely resembles sense.

In fairness, though, even if one or more of the writers feels that they made a wrong turn, they can't exactly come out and say it, not as long as TPTB think they made the right call, or want it to look that way. It'd be a tough position; even if they think that Mitchell and Vala's intros were ridiculous, even if they would kill for a time machine to go back and change it, they could still be expected to spout the party line and insist that it was the best decision they ever made.

If, however, they actually agree with said party line, I have no sympathy for them.
                        Yup.

Even a "Ain't my decision." says too much.

Still, to me that bit that basically said that anything they write is canon because as the contracted writers they *only* write canon - even though it flies in the face of previously established canon - makes less than no sense. What was that you said about no sympathy?

suse
                        sigpic
                        Mourning Sanctuary.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackie View Post

Don't even mention that interveiw he shouldn't have bothered with Ark of Truth, he could have easily summarize that story in a few interviews. Why the hell didn't he make scene with Morgan and other ascended? He told that in interview. Makes no sense.

obviously he created a story and an enemy, and later he realized that he don't know how to deal with it. So he created two idiotic ancient weapons and everything was magically wonderful (for him, not for me).
                          Stolen Kosovo
                          sigpic

Comment

Awe Carp!

I was reasonably sure that no actual TV station would be stupid enough to pick up the new Stargate Universe after the carp that was S9-S10 destroyed the franchise but NOW I find out that MGM\Lionsgate are going to have their own TV network (you know, like UPN). So no doubt that they will be betting on one of their bigger franchise names to kick off the network. Too bad their TPTB has already killed the franchise.
                            Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan View Post
                              Awe Carp!

I was reasonably sure that no actual TV station would be stupid enough to pick up the new Stargate Universe after the carp that was S9-S10 destroyed the franchise but NOW I find out that MGM\Lionsgate are going to have their own TV network (you know, like UPN). So no doubt that they will be betting on one of their bigger franchise names to kick off the network. Too bad their TPTB has already killed the franchise.

A while back (IIRC)I said something of the sorts. MGM would have to start their own network to make sure that they would have control of their own product.

Too bad I can't say the same about the lottery.

Comment

Yes many of us have noticed and do blame Coop for ruining SG1 especially in the last 2 seasons. He may have been an excellent writer in the past (and still could be), but his job as an EP is where he fails IMO. He took over in S7, but Gekko was still in place as EP's to reign him in, and say...that doesn't work or make sense.

His Ori story line he couldn't and by the looks of it, still can't explain. Him saying that the viewers don't need everything explained to them...I think is his way of getting out of explaining things he himself doesn't know. He's much better at his job, if he's told what to do, rather than being the one telling others what to do.

And one thing that really bothered me, and still does, was the "now we can have fun" attitude he and others gave after RDA left Yep he may have spoiled their fun, but we the fans had a good time watching a good show :shakes head:
                                sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Working...
                                X