Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skydiver
    scripts???? who needs scripts???
    just fill the show with 43 minutes of boobs, butts and bombs and it'll be a hit
    After all, that's what we PTB the fans want!

Comment

*nods* B&B did it with Voyager, so why can't TPTB do it with Stargate.

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
      After all, that's what we PTB the fans want!
      See TPTB do care about the fans, they even incorporate the most beloved and most wanted plotdevice ever invented for the fans...the Reset button
      Signed,

Gregorius
      Gateworld Forum Troublemaker Extraordinaire.

sigpic

Support the (r)Evolution: Gregorius for Moderator.
      Gregorius, because clowning about is his raison d'être.

Comment

Originally posted by golfbooy
        Of course, that's not all I've got. No, no, my spleen runneth over. Apparently there's also been a spectacularly brilliant editing number done on the season's first Sam/Vala scene. Carter apparently tries to offer herself as someone who Vala can talk to as a friend after her whole Ori-shark baby ordeal. Amanda Tapping has also said that she and Claudia Black tried to continue to play the effects of this chat in scenes later in the episode, which turns out to be a sure fire way to get it cut from the show. After seeing season nine come up empty in the character motivation department, my disappointment at this scene being cut is staggering. Of course, I could be wrong. I'm sure that the Carter/Vala relationship can do without the whole foundation thingy. And having two characters really talk about something is always so boring to write, especially when Vala can't drop in one of her sexual zingers.
        I haven't heard about a cut Sam/Vala scene, so that's news to me but not very surprising. Have the two women on the show...interact??!! That's crazy talk. I don't think TPTB are the slightest bit interested in the idea. Just look at Atlantis - Weir/Teyla scenes are practically nonexistant. That's been a big letdown for me.

Comment

As I recall, there was also a fun scene between Sam and Fraiser that was cut out a number of years back. Guess we aren't allowed to see any female bonding. They either bond with the males or not at all.

Comment

That's another reason i don't care for him being the leader. He's too much like what i have to deal with on a daily basis...incompetance rising over quality based solely on friendships
            Thistotally hits a nerve with me too - your post made me realize that I in fact dislike him intensely because of the same thing - unqualified/less qualified people getting ahead because they know someone or kiss a$$ to someone not because they earned it or deserve it.

Comment

As I recall, there was also a fun scene between Sam and Fraiser that was cut out a number of years back. Guess we aren't allowed to see any female bonding. They either bond with the males or not at all.
              Well it's logical they cut that out, the censors in the USA would've gone mad
              Signed,

Gregorius
              Gateworld Forum Troublemaker Extraordinaire.

sigpic

Support the (r)Evolution: Gregorius for Moderator.
              Gregorius, because clowning about is his raison d'être.

Comment

I think the only reason why they have girls unrobe on screen is so that the ptb can get a free peep show.

Comment

Originally posted by Amanda Eros
                  I think the only reason why they have girls unrobe on screen is so that the ptb can get a free peep show.
                  Pretty much, yup.

Comment

I was thinking about S10. Expect to see even less of the stargate this year. They have added another full time actor to the series in Claudia*. And at least another part time actress
                    Spoiler:

to play Adria, spawn of the Ori

I'd expect to see lots of discount Christmas lights being used S10. They sure won't have money for effects

Suse

* I do not blame Claudia Black for the coming...interestingness
                    sigpic
                    Mourning Sanctuary.
                    Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Yeah, don't you love how TPTB always use "budgetary constraints" as an excuse for why we don't have X, Y, or Z and then they go and make the cast top-heavy with big names and extra characters?

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc
                        Thistotally hits a nerve with me too - your post made me realize that I in fact dislike him intensely because of the same thing - unqualified/less qualified people getting ahead because they know someone or kiss a$$ to someone not because they earned it or deserve it.
                        Or done the wrong thing. The characters in SG-1 used to feel like military characters. They weren't boinking each other - or even shooting soppy, lovelorn gazes - and they weren't given promotions for doing cool stuff.

I railed against Sam's promotion to Lt.-Col. for a year on the grounds that a) it was too soon after she made Major and b) she wasn't a leader. In fact she seemed to have been promoted solely for saving the world, which is not a reason to get promoted. That's what medals are for.

I also suspected from the start that the PTB couldn't write Sam as an effective leader and I feel I wasn't far off. She would have been better served remaining as a dignified expert and advisor and it would have felt more real. If she were serving as a Major under the new guy, she could be his expert advisor and guru and he - I don't kid myself there was any chance of them actually having a woman in charge, especially since they so asiduously avoided offworld team missions in S8 - could have deferred to her experience without there being command issues. But no.

And Cambo is the same. Whether he became a Lt.-Col. before the battle over Antarctica or not, he's been given a command post on the grounds that he did something cool. Okay, he won the CMH (which is another issue), but you know what you get for doing stuff so heroic it deserves the Congressional Medal of Honour? The Congressional Medal of Honour, that's what; not a free ticket to a high-bodycount version of fantasy island.

Now I read that apparently the command issue will be addressed in an episode where Cameron 'complains that he can't give orders to any of his team'. So the PTB are going to own up to the fact that SG-1 has been disfunctional for a year and deal with it by having one of the 'joint leaders' of the team whine about it to the General. Oh, well that's alright then! Isn't it?

Don't you just want Landry to reply: "No; you can give orders to your team. They just ignore you because you're a tit."
                        Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
                        - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire
                          I haven't heard about a cut Sam/Vala scene, so that's news to me but not very surprising. Have the two women on the show...interact??!! That's crazy talk. I don't think TPTB are the slightest bit interested in the idea. Just look at Atlantis - Weir/Teyla scenes are practically nonexistant. That's been a big letdown for me.
                          Seriously. It's very disturbing. And it's possible they've finally gotten a clue. If they incorporate nothing into Season Three, I think we can just assume that not only are our observations ignored, but the requests of the actors (TH and RL) aree ignored as well.

Because it's funny, ya know? It's... it's funny. Writing your two lead males into banterfest frenzies will ALWAYS be funny. Always.

That's one thing I've gotten from BSG, though I'll never fully understand its popularity - they utilize the female characters, and they bond these female characters with each other, not with the other males. Who knew that this would still be considered "innovative" or "progressive?"

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Prophet
                            And Cambo is the same. Whether he became a Lt.-Col. before the battle over Antarctica or not, he's been given a command post on the grounds that he did something cool. Okay, he won the CMH (which is another issue), but you know what you get for doing stuff so heroic it deserves the Congressional Medal of Honour? The Congressional Medal of Honour, that's what; not a free ticket to a high-bodycount version of fantasy island.
                            Were any of the other people piloting the F-302s given the Congressional Medal of Honor or offered postings of their choice?

There was another pilot in the F-302 with Mitchell, what happened to him?

All of them risked their lives flying against Anubis, yet Cameron is the one that everybody owes everything to. Why? Because he was injured?

Originally posted by Mr Prophet
                            Now I read that apparently the command issue will be addressed in an episode where Cameron 'complains that he can't give orders to any of his team'. So the PTB are going to own up to the fact that SG-1 has been disfunctional for a year and deal with it by having one of the 'joint leaders' of the team whine about it to the General. Oh, well that's alright then! Isn't it?

Don't you just want Landry to reply: "No; you can give orders to your team. They just ignore you because you're a tit."
                            Yes, definitely.

I have been impressed enough by Landry to know that he should be capable of logic. SG-1 were an effective team who worked well together in Season Eight. They were a dysfunctional team in Season Nine and, by the sounds of it, will be in Season Ten. What does the Season Nine and Ten team have that the Season Eight team, mercifully, did not?

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

I've been thinking about this over the past few days myself and have come to the same depressing conclusion. TPTB have locked themselves into so many bad choices and decisions in plot and character in S9 that I just don't think it's possible for them to logically correct them if they do realise they've made a mistake, as they seem to be acknowledging here with the leadership question. Not in a single season anyway. I'm now wondering if TPTB aren't desperately thinking that just giving up and declaring S9 was all a bad dream wouldn't be the easiest way out of the hole they've dug for themselves after all.

ROTFL! Oh, if only....

What does the Season Nine and Ten team have that the Season Eight team, mercifully, did not?
                              Is that a trick question? Let's see...hmmmmmmm...difficult one.

Albion
                              Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX
                                There was another pilot in the F-302 with Mitchell, what happened to him?
                                Didn't he die in homage to Luke's gunner, Dak, in Empire?

All of them risked their lives flying against Anubis, yet Cameron is the one that everybody owes everything to. Why? Because he was injured?
                                Years before Cameron was ever invented, one of my fanfic OCs got an early promotion (to Captain) for political reasons and because she looked good on newspaper covers and saved the day in a highly-publicised incident outside the SGC. She's been slightly uneasy in the rank ever since because she knows that she got promoted for the wrong reasons and, even if she has the stuff, everyone else gets to know it too.

If the Stargate had become public knowledge through the battle over the Antarctic and Cameron held up as the hero of the hour, I could buy a political motivation behind his lauding (although possibly not the CMH, which - as has been pointed out - is not given for doing your job). This could then work well if he is portrayed as being uncertain in his command and ultimately deferring to the more experienced team members.

Only he isn't and he doesn't.
                                Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
                                - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

Working...
                                X