S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jackie View Post

Then as the topper: The end of the ep shows Sam, Daniel, Teal'c with no forehead thingy, and Jack all sitting around Jack's table at the cabin and each reading a script on paper:

Sam says: "Sir, this is really bad? Why did you kill Thor in this story?"

Daniel asked: "Spacemonkey Jack? You couldn't resist?"

Jack: "I made sure you slept with Vala before you turned gay."

Daniel: "She beat me up, Jack. She's still sitting in a cell, Jack? Why did you bring her into the story?"

Jack: "Claudia Black is hot, Daniel."

snip
    LOL. Couldn't green ya.

Comment

Watching more Voyager. It is a cheesy, ship-ridden show but somehow their show-runner\writer is able to do things that Stargate SG1 S9-S10 was not able to do.

They are able to build tention without killing off characters.
      They can come up with some fairly creative stories.
      They always seem to be able to introduce a guest character a few eps before the episode where they actually play a bigger part. They seem to be able to give a sense of continuity that Stargate was not. But then respecting the franchise and what came before is the first step.

Sure its cheese but Startrek has always had heaping portion on their dish. Stargate started piling it on too in S9 and S10 in a desperate hope to cover up bad taste so no one would notice its not the same dish.
      Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Stargate has lost its sense of realism. As campy as Star trek is...it was set in the future and always had that undertone of the technology being possible in the future. They also stayed true to star trek form and kept the story on a ship.

Stargate and SGA have both lost the sense of realism that at one point set the series apart. Though SGA is doing better in QC over season 3...it's still lacking. I mean, the Wraith are more interesting than the Atlantis crew right now. The replicators attacking the Wraith's food source means they have sacrificed any real weir story line. I never expect her to return now.

SG-1 didn't kill off a solid cast member till season 7 when Janet died. That was done with dignity and respect. When Daniel took his year vaca...I cried even though he just ascended and wasn't really dead.

After season 8...death became a plot device for both shows and nothing was gained by it. Death in Stargate is actually a writer's crutch and nothing more.

RIP:

janet, thor, jacob, jonas, the first SG-1 team, Kathrine, Skaara, Sha're, Kawalski, and SGA's: dr. beckett, dr. weir, ford, colonel sumner, many more.
        Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan View Post
          Watching more Voyager. It is a cheesy, ship-ridden show but somehow their show-runner\writer is able to do things that Stargate SG1 S9-S10 was not able to do.

They are able to build tention without killing off characters.
          They can come up with some fairly creative stories.
          They always seem to be able to introduce a guest character a few eps before the episode where they actually play a bigger part. They seem to be able to give a sense of continuity that Stargate was not. But then respecting the franchise and what came before is the first step.

Sure its cheese but Startrek has always had heaping portion on their dish. Stargate started piling it on too in S9 and S10 in a desperate hope to cover up bad taste so no one would notice its not the same dish.
          Voyager, Next Gen, DS9 all did a better job with character interactions than the current Stargate/Atlantis shows. They weren't just paper dolls whose main function is to provide filler until we get to the special effects part of the ep. Even though I do think that Atlantis has improve this season, I still think they got alot of ground to make up.
          Odo's last wishes: cremate me, put me in my bucket, then shoot me through the wormhole.

Rogue

Comment

Originally posted by Rogue View Post
            Voyager, Next Gen, DS9 all did a better job with character interactions than the current Stargate/Atlantis shows. They weren't just paper dolls whose main function is to provide filler until we get to the special effects part of the ep. Even though I do think that Atlantis has improve this season, I still think they got alot of ground to make up.
            Voyager might have done a better job with character interactions, but they had exactly the same issues with storyline/canon stuff. I had to stop watching after "Rise" - the elevator to...something episode. And I didn't watch again til over a year later. But I wasn't nearly into Voyager as I was in to SG-1. I knew they were mining a nearly dry mine by the time STNG ended. Loved the characters. The plots were never strong.

SG-1 started out well, then was - as far as i can tell - purposely tanked and recreated in another (unfortunately sexist looking) image.

I'm fond of Woolsey only because I was fond of but slightly annoyed at the time given to The Doctor. I'd love to see RP do comedy. And AT for that matter.

suse
            sigpic
            Mourning Sanctuary.
            Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Should I rant about "Unending" here, or in the "Was Unending a good ending for the show" thread?

Anyway, I had a theory that might explain, in-universe, why Daniel wound up with Vala:

The said Mal Doran must've somehow gotten hold of Hathor's pherome-brainwashing-stuff.

It might also explain a lot more...

Comment

Originally posted by EnterTheWormhole View Post
                Should I rant about "Unending" here, or in the "Was Unending a good ending for the show" thread?

Anyway, I had a theory that might explain, in-universe, why Daniel wound up with Vala:

The said Mal Doran must've somehow gotten hold of Hathor's pherome-brainwashing-stuff.

It might also explain a lot more...
                LOL, good theory

and yes you can rant away here
                sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Last Saturday, I caught part of one of the Season 10 episodes while flipping channels. Everything I saw made me disgusted and did not entice me to see more... and I kept right on flipping channels.

spoilers for Season 10
                  Spoiler:

In this episode, Carter was on board one of the Earth ships with Colonel Emerson. They get attacked. Carter gets knocked out (as does apparently everyone else on the bridge and Emerson speaks directly to the screen without any apparent motion from anyone else). Next they are in some large room and everyone's standing and milling about... except Carter who is still unconscious and is propped up against some crates. No one is paying any attention to her unconscious form, nor is anyone even sitting or standing next to her. I found that bizzare to say the least. Would that really happen? Would everyone else simply prop their unconscious co-worker/teammate up against a crate and then walk away?

She wakes up and gets up by herself and once she's standing Emerson walks over and says that he's glad that she's up and awake.

THe bad guys then drag Carter and Emerson off to the bridge (?) where they demand that Carter deactivate the black-box-emergency beacon that is giving away their position. Carter is ordered by Emerson NOT to help the bad guys... and NOT to deactivate the beacon.

So they shoot Emerson.

I really liked him - so that *really* sucked.

Even worse... Carter then capitulates and deactivates the beacon. Gack! That's what I would do... that's what lots of civilians might do... but is that what a member of the Air Force's elite SG-1 team would do?

It didn't sit right with me at all. If Carter was played by a lead male actor, for me there is little doubt that Carter would have been written as telling the bad guys just where to shove it - no matter what they used or tried as coercion.

And Jackson!!!! He was so sour and cranky ... lots of folks have said that he has taken on some of Jack's experienced-attitude, but I found his negativity and derisiveness to be extrememly off-putting. Yee-uck!

And what the ???? was Jackson doing in the Captain's chair at the end of the show? That was one of the most ridiculous scenes!!! I can't think of *any* scenario where the military would allow a civilian to command a battleship - especially one that had recently been attacked, boarded and re-claimed. Whoever was the ship's second-in-command after Emerson would have been in that chair - and if they weren't able to, then it would be the ship's third-in-command.

I have to admit that I saw only pieces of the show, it was just too painful to continue watching for any length of time, so I only caught pieces when I channel-flipped passed the channel that was playing Stargate.

Comment

I never understood when writers do that. Lets think about the logic...Carter is a logical characters so
                    Spoiler:
                    They are stealing your ship. They murder a member of the crew. They cannot let you go now because you witnessed it. So by doing what they say you just help them get away where they can murder the rest of the crew. Now instead of one dead everyones dead. Do the math, it makes no sense.

"drop your weapon or I will shoot bob"....but if you drop your weapon they shoot bob AND you AND anyone else on your side.

Oh well, doesnt matter to me because S9-S10 doesnt exist for me. Whenever I flip the channels I only see S1-S8 eps in re-run, I never see the those new ones, thank god.
                    Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist View Post
                      Spoiler:
                      Even worse... Carter then capitulates and deactivates the beacon. Gack! That's what I would do... that's what lots of civilians might do... but is that what a member of the Air Force's elite SG-1 team would do?
                      Spoiler:
                      Didn't they end up having to remove the beacon? I figured that they got fed up waiting for Sam to give in and ripped it out. They wouldn't have needed her help to extract it.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Last Saturday, I caught part of one of the Season 10 episodes while flipping channels. Everything I saw made me disgusted and did not entice me to see more... and I kept right on flipping channels.

spoilers for Season 10
                        Spoiler:

In this episode, Carter was on board one of the Earth ships with Colonel Emerson. They get attacked. Carter gets knocked out (as does apparently everyone else on the bridge and Emerson speaks directly to the screen without any apparent motion from anyone else). Next they are in some large room and everyone's standing and milling about... except Carter who is still unconscious and is propped up against some crates. No one is paying any attention to her unconscious form, nor is anyone even sitting or standing next to her. I found that bizzare to say the least. Would that really happen? Would everyone else simply prop their unconscious co-worker/teammate up against a crate and then walk away?

She wakes up and gets up by herself and once she's standing Emerson walks over and says that he's glad that she's up and awake.

THe bad guys then drag Carter and Emerson off to the bridge (?) where they demand that Carter deactivate the black-box-emergency beacon that is giving away their position. Carter is ordered by Emerson NOT to help the bad guys... and NOT to deactivate the beacon.

So they shoot Emerson.

It didn't sit right with me at all. If Carter was played by a lead male actor, for me there is little doubt that Carter would have been written as telling the bad guys just where to shove it - no matter what they used or tried as coercion.

And Jackson!!!! He was so sour and cranky ... lots of folks have said that he has taken on some of Jack's experienced-attitude, but I found his negativity and derisiveness to be extrememly off-putting. Yee-uck!

And what the ???? was Jackson doing in the Captain's chair at the end of the show? That was one of the most ridiculous scenes!!! I can't think of *any* scenario where the military would allow a civilian to command a battleship - especially one that had recently been attacked, boarded and re-claimed. Whoever was the ship's second-in-command after Emerson would have been in that chair - and if they weren't able to, then it would be the ship's third-in-command.

I have to admit that I saw only pieces of the show, it was just too painful to continue watching for any length of time, so I only caught pieces when I channel-flipped passed the channel that was playing Stargate.

You see, since S9, our characters have become plot devices, instead of working the plots around what the would do (to stay in character) they now work the characters to make the oh so weak plots work

*there were glimpses of this too starting in S7* Yep that's when Coop took over
                        sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

spoilers for Season 10
                          Spoiler:

So they shoot Emerson.

I didn't even bother to watch that ep--it sounds like I didn't miss much too!

In my little world--season 1 and 2 of Stargate Command never happened. Not even in a fan fic...it didn't happen.

Stargate Command was a teenage boy's fan fic and nothing more.
                          Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackie View Post
                            I didn't even bother to watch that ep--it sounds like I didn't miss much too!

In my little world--season 1 and 2 of Stargate Command never happened. Not even in a fan fic...it didn't happen.

Stargate Command was a teenage boy's fan fic and nothing more.
                            I maintain that it was a cautionary tale Jack wrote for his team when

(a) Sam was contemplating leaving the SGC
                            (b) Teal'c was planning on going into politics
                            (c) Daniel was acting like a git

Now Sam and Teal'c are too terrified to ever leave and Daniel is on his best behaviour.

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
                              You see, since S9, our characters have become plot devices, instead of working the plots around what the would do (to stay in character) they now work the characters to make the oh so weak plots work

Isn't that one of the cardinal sins in the Writer's Bible?

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post

I've realized that they actually managed to create an entire cast of characters that I *really* don't like.

I don't like Jackson instead of Daniel - and to me there is a *huge* difference. Daniel was likeable and human whereas Jackson displays too much disdain and scoffs too much... he should have a t-shirt that says 'Been There Done That, Wasn't Impressed Then and You Aren't Going To Impress Me Now!

I don't like Carter in Seasons 9 & 10. Didn't like some of the changes to her character in Seasons 7 & 8, but could have lived with them if they'd written the character solidly in Seasons 9 & 10. Instead, she ended up coming across as either useless or weak. With nothing of substance as a counterbalance - yech!

Teal'c - for me, he should have become more comfortable as time went on. Instead, they seemed desperate to show that he hadn't lost his hard 'edge'. Just looked like he hadn't matured to me.

Jack - I didn't like the way they took his career advancement. General-behind-a-desk just didn't fit the character.

Mitchell - ugh.... should have been a wonderful new character and addition to the team. Shouldn't have had the team busted apart so that he could come in as the new leader that turns around and brings them together. Too contrived and totally inappropriate and unnecessary. Should not have come in as such an over-the-top hero who then gets even more heroic training. Should have come in as a solidly professional, eager-yet-untried lieutenant or captain.

Vala - should have been left an untrustworthy space pirate that whenever present would have been an character of uncertainty for SG-1 and the viewers. Should *not* have been an alien space dominatrix.

I've gone down the list of Season 9/10 characters in my mind... and I don't like *any* of them.

Then put those characters into plots and situations that seem ridiculous and/or ignore the previous 8-year history? Ugh!!

I liked Emerson... oops spoilers for Season 10
                                Spoiler:
                                - he's dead!

-----
                                Space is beautiful. The Earth is beautiful from Space.
                                Seasons 9 & 10? Not beautiful!
                                Last edited by astrogeologist; 23 November 2007, 03:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X