S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dipsofjazz View Post
    If they'd been following Stargate canon, she would never have been allowed into the SGC, except to be flung into a cell, never mind on the top team.
    Totally agree.
    Odo's last wishes: cremate me, put me in my bucket, then shoot me through the wormhole.

Rogue

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX View Post
      Are we to assume that Daniel vouched for her in "Avalon, Part 1"?

If so, either

(a) Anubis is very sneaky
      (b) Daniel's brain melted into grey mulch and dribbled out his right ear when I wasn't looking.
      (c) Anubis' brain melted into grey mulch and dribbled out his right ear when I wasn't looking.
      Actually I think Daniel was thinking with his little head.
      Odo's last wishes: cremate me, put me in my bucket, then shoot me through the wormhole.

Rogue

Comment

Originally posted by Rogue View Post
        Actually I think Daniel was thinking with his little head.
        Once his brain dribbled out his ear, that would be the only part of him capable of anything vaguely resembling thinking.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Are we to assume that Daniel vouched for her in "Avalon, Part 1"?

If so, either

(a) Anubis is very sneaky
          (b) Daniel's brain melted into grey mulch and dribbled out his right ear when I wasn't looking.
          (c) Anubis' brain melted into grey mulch and dribbled out his right ear when I wasn't looking.

I don't think Daniel vouched for her. She said she needed to see him. And was brought back under guard. Too bad the didn't take away all her little toys before she shackled herself to Daniel to force him to find 'treasure' for her.

I'm still trying to remember how and why she is "like Teal'c" and deserves to be on the team/trusted. After 9 months spent with the enemy with pretty much only her word as to what happened. After all, she could have told the resistance anything... And she hadn't exactly proven herself trustworthy before then. She stole Prommie, putting the crew into a broken ship; she took Daniel hostage for personal gain and no other reason. And for a con artist, she sure couldn't keep her mouth shut when it mattered. That's no way to pay The Game.She only took the shuttle in a fit of pique because no one was listening to her.

suse
          sigpic
          Mourning Sanctuary.
          Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan View Post
            It is difficult under the best of circumstances.
            It didnt help that not only was Mitchell basically the same character, he went through the same arc (giddie newbie pushing the wrong buttons, to more serious superhero not caring about his own life and charging forward, to overserious grumpy guy that distance himself from people) he just didnt have a girlfriend to help absorb all his angst. Nor did he have any huge torture trauma to instigate the change on SG-1.

I can see why farscape fans were happy as an attempt was made to turn stargate into a more avantgard\innduendo laced\spaceship focused show like farscape. I just dont understand how they weren't horribly dissappointed with the execution. I mean Mitchell was almost completely ignored later in his run, and when he wasnt ignored he often looked bad. Vala, how is she not an insulting character to people that loved Areyn Sun? (as someone who liked Sun I was very dissappointed with the material CB was given).

Yes and I never understood (though my understanding is not required I know) why people who actually liked the first 8 years would be happy with the changes in S9-S10 when they clearly changed the show. If you loved those changes then it would seem you thought changes were needed. I mean I can see people "accepting" the changes and moving on...but to say these last two seasons were the best of SG-1 indicates to me they really didnt like SG-1 to begin with. Meaning if it was changed enough for some to start liking it, then it was changed enough for me to stop liking it. (Note I am not talking about actor changes, as they could have brought in one or two to repace RDA and wrote them INTO the SG universe and I would have been fine with it.....kind of like Atlantis is currently doing).

Why did they do it? Personal dislike of the SG universe? Desire for something of their own making? I know if I was suddenly given a chance to showrun Farscape I would want to make quite a few changes. Of course I probably wouldnt because I would be a pro and realize I have to write within the context of the universe and if I do a good job maybe I will get a chance to do my vision later. In this case though, TPTB decided to proceed with the spinnoff within the same series. I think they have inflicted a very serious wound to the show. More then I thought. I abandoned S10 but people at work watched it.....now I go to talk about Atlantis and they are all "meh" I recorded it or "I keep forgetting its on" or "Numbers is on" or "Not really interested" or some other excuse. I think killing the Asgard was the last straw for a lot of people. Oh well.
            Wonderful post, AGateFan!
            They needed new characters; I don't think they needed a new star. Move AT and CJ up one spot each in the credits - they deserve the top two spots for sticking with the show all the way through - and bring in Beau Bridges as Landry (minus Lexa Doig as Lam) and a relative unknown as the young Captain Mitchell (male or female) to fill the fourth spot.
            Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
            Yes, I have no problem with introducing a new character or two, but they didn't have to restructure the whole thing for them. Sam should have been in command of SG1. That it was ever in question remains appalling to me.
            Great posts, jckfan and Regan!

Comment

I'm still trying to remember how and why she is "like Teal'c" and deserves to be on the team/trusted.
              cause coop needed a reason to keep her on the show and that's all he could come up with

SEriously, the only way she's 'like teal'c' is that she's alien born and has known associations with the goa'uld and has been betrayed by the tok'ra
              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dipsofjazz View Post
                If they'd been following Stargate canon, she would never have been allowed into the SGC, except to be flung into a cell, never mind on the top team.
                Exactly. They claimed she had intel, but she almost never proved herself particularly useful. The only time I can think of is when they needed a contact to get a ship to find the Daedelus (?).

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post
                  I'm still trying to remember how and why she is "like Teal'c" and deserves to be on the team/trusted. After 9 months spent with the enemy with pretty much only her word as to what happened. After all, she could have told the resistance anything... And she hadn't exactly proven herself trustworthy before then. She stole Prommie, putting the crew into a broken ship; she took Daniel hostage for personal gain and no other reason. And for a con artist, she sure couldn't keep her mouth shut when it mattered. That's no way to pay The Game.She only took the shuttle in a fit of pique because no one was listening to her.

suse

And her so called "evaluation" was used for (attempted) comic relief, not really any serious weighing of her trustworthyness etc. I believe half the episode (Morpheus?) was devoted to that. If they had spent half the effort they spent on Vala on the SG1 half of the script that episode would have been much better.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post

And her so called "evaluation" was used for (attempted) comic relief, not really any serious weighing of her trustworthyness etc. I believe half the episode (Morpheus?) was devoted to that. If they had spent half the effort they spent on Vala on the SG1 half of the script that episode would have been much better.
                    Oh I agree, the "comic relief" seemed like a waste of time. The team part of Morpheus was actually starting to get that old SG1 feel to it, but seemed to fail to hit it's mark. And we finally got to see Sam and Daniel together, too bad if was for such a short time.
                    sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Yep, exactly. And even though Unending was billed as a big team ep, Morpheus felt more like a team ep (even though I agree it didn't quite hit the mark) to me than that one.

Comment

Originally posted by JessM View Post
                        Yep, exactly. And even though Unending was billed as a big team ep, Morpheus felt more like a team ep (even though I agree it didn't quite hit the mark) to me than that one.
                        Unending was a team episode? I must not get all my memos. For example "Solitudes" in season one was much more a team episode than Unending even thought the team was actually separated with Sam and Jack struggling in Antarctica and Daniel and Teal'c trying to figure out were they are. Just MHO...

Comment

tangent was very much a team episode, even though they were separated for most of it. they were all working towards teh same goal...saving jack and teal'c

part of coop's problem, he could never wrap his mind around 'team'not necessarily meaning 'all four/five on the same screen at the same time'
                          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                            tangent was very much a team episode, even though they were separated for most of it. they were all working towards teh same goal...saving jack and teal'c

part of coop's problem, he could never wrap his mind around 'team'not necessarily meaning 'all four/five on the same screen at the same time'
                            Precisely. "48 Hours" is another good show of teamwork; they're apart, but they had a common goal.

Comment

Originally posted by silkie View Post
                              Unending was a team episode? I must not get all my memos. For example "Solitudes" in season one was much more a team episode than Unending even thought the team was actually separated with Sam and Jack struggling in Antarctica and Daniel and Teal'c trying to figure out were they are. Just MHO...
                              Team trapped on the a ship for 50 years, lonely, depressed, frustrated. Glad I missed it.

Rogue

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post
                                I don't think Daniel vouched for her. She said she needed to see him. And was brought back under guard. Too bad the didn't take away all her little toys before she shackled herself to Daniel to force him to find 'treasure' for her.
                                I'm still having trouble with the idea than anyone would believe a word out of Vala's mouth when she claimed that she needed to see Daniel.

What part of their experience with her gave them the impression that she could be trusted as far as they could spit her?

Comment

Working...
                                X