Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

super baby saves the day

a cliche that goes all the way back to V

who knows. dare we hope that it's just a random pregnancy and the condom broke or some such, and it's just a baby?
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
      super baby saves the day

a cliche that goes all the way back to V

who knows. dare we hope that it's just a random pregnancy and the condom broke or some such, and it's just a baby?
      Now that would actually be a 'NEW' idea
      sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
        Now that would actually be a 'NEW' idea
        My bet is that the baby has both the wraith gene and ancient gene. The super baby's abilities save the Pegaus galaxy from the wraith and replicators.
        Odo's last wishes: cremate me, put me in my bucket, then shoot me through the wormhole.

Rogue

Comment

Originally posted by Rogue View Post
          My bet is that the baby has both the wraith gene and ancient gene. The super baby's abilities save the Pegaus galaxy from the wraith and replicators.
          Nor even funny.

I just read some earlier SG-1 fanfic. I miss the days I didn't get a bad feeling when I turned on the TV to watch Stargate.

suse
          sigpic
          Mourning Sanctuary.
          Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post
            Nor even funny.

I just read some earlier SG-1 fanfic. I miss the days I didn't get a bad feeling when I turned on the TV to watch Stargate.

suse
            I have more faith in JM than I ever had in RCC but babies in sci-fi shows are usually a disaster.
            Odo's last wishes: cremate me, put me in my bucket, then shoot me through the wormhole.

Rogue

Comment

this is sci-fi genre and they can't just have Teyla get preggers and have a "normal" baby...that would be too..."normal."

They very well could have ignored the pregnancy and shot around RL...the actress really hasn't gotten much screen time at all to really even notice to tell the truth.

But, since the boys decided they like space operas they have to do something weird to Teyla and have super baby.
              Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

Babys kill, Super Babys kill scifi.
                Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Can't they just have a hysterical pregnancy? Teyla can go to an Athosian midwife instead of Keller for her prenatal care and then when she goes into labour, they do a scan and whoops! - no baby in there.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

babies kill pretty much every show, even sitcoms

sigpic

Comment

babies kill pretty much every show, even sitcoms
                      Unless you can find a way to shove them out of sight off-camera - like Phoebe's brother's triplets in "Friends".

For practical reasons, working with babies is a pain so they usually suffer from severe cases of the sci-fi/fantasy version of SORAS (Soap Opera Rapid Aging Syndrome), so they either grow super fast by themselves, or go off to an alternate reality/dimension/whatever and grow up there. With Xena's daughter Eve, they took a slightly different tack - instead of the baby growing really fast, her mom took a twenty-five year nap in an ice cave and woke up, not a day older, just in time to see her little precious playing religious genocide.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX View Post
                        Unless you can find a way to shove them out of sight off-camera - like Phoebe's brother's triplets in "Friends".

For practical reasons, working with babies is a pain so they usually suffer from severe cases of the sci-fi/fantasy version of SORAS (Soap Opera Rapid Aging Syndrome), so they either grow super fast by themselves, or go off to an alternate reality/dimension/whatever and grow up there. With Xena's daughter Eve, they took a slightly different tack - instead of the baby growing really fast, her mom took a twenty-five year nap in an ice cave and woke up, not a day older, just in time to see her little precious playing religious genocide.
                        Was it Family Ties or Fresh Prince....where the newly born baby brother was suddenly a spiffy 5 year old in the space of one offseason break. That was funny, because they actually acknowledged the stupidity of it on the show. Still much better then dealing with a baby baby....Speaking of scifi types though that one on Voyager grew up pretty fast too.

eh two things kill scifi shows (well two of the most obvious things) are BABIES and Mary Sue's particularly of the teenage type *cough*WeaslyCrusher*cough* but an adult Mary Sue thrown into his highschool reunion may actually be worse. <<<<check it out,,, its like on topic or something *applauds self for managing it* *boos TPTB for creating Mary Sue Mitch to give me ammo*
                        Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

i like how they dealt with nana visitor's pregnancy. she 'carried' the baby that keiko was going to lose (to accomodate nana's pregnancy) and then, once it was born, Keiko and Miles raised Molly.

and it worked, at least in my opinion. because molly was nothing but a recurring character that grew up at a reasonable rate. and kira, whose character just couldn't be a mommy, could have her pregnancy on the show but kira didn't have to be mommy

The one time i think a baby seamlessly worked on a show

sigpic

Comment

i like how they dealt with nana visitor's pregnancy. she 'carried' the baby that keiko was going to lose (to accomodate nana's pregnancy) and then, once it was born, Keiko and Miles raised Molly.

and it worked, at least in my opinion. because molly was nothing but a recurring character that grew up at a reasonable rate. and kira, whose character just couldn't be a mommy, could have her pregnancy on the show but kira didn't have to be mommy

Great discussion. And I agree RE Kira's baby storyline. Loved the sneezing bit too (just a little bit of fun thrown in).

RE Teyla's pregnancy... I love the idea of a 'regular' pregnancy. Hmmm.. she slept with someone (doesn't even have to be a current character... doesn't even ever have to show on screen).. and wow... there's an unplanned for kid. It happens. It would be nice to see it handled in an adult fashion and without making it a galaxy-wide crisis. It would even be better if she contacts the father (say it was a one-night stand, but without bitter feelings)...and he's interested in the kid - from a true father's perspective and emotions (not because he wants someone to follow in his footsteps training to fight galactic wars).

Lots of room for character development for Teyla without baby scenes taking over the storyline. Great opportunities for them to show the friendships between Teyla and the others on Atlantis... and again, big scenes wouldn't be necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan View Post
                              Was it Family Ties or Fresh Prince....where the newly born baby brother was suddenly a spiffy 5 year old in the space of one offseason break. That was funny, because they actually acknowledged the stupidity of it on the show. Still much better then dealing with a baby baby....Speaking of scifi types though that one on Voyager grew up pretty fast too.

Oh the ever annoying Naomi Wildman..... I kept waiting for Janeway to
                              shove her out of an airlock but it never happened
                              Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Worked very well and was very SFnal; a suitably science fictional solution to the problem.
                                But it was Kirayoshi O'Brien that Kira carries, not Molly.

FF (bit of a DS9 fan)
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X