S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by astrogeologist View Post
    I liked the original series Daniel. Thought he was a worthwhile and sympathetic character.

The original movie Jack (played by Kurt Russell) was a bitter, hard soldier. RDA softened Jack up a bit, but O'Neill was still the openly jaded-from-experience member of the team. Openly snarky and often cynical (and written to be right about his cynicism most of the time).

I can't stand the Season 9/10 Daniel who somehow has taken on the cynical snarky view - and the judgemental tone of voice. Judgement that is passed *so* quickly. The Daniel-morphed-into-a-psuedo-Jack is a horrible thing to watch. IMHO.
    That's something I can't stand about him; what do they know about the Ori, really?

They have no proof that Adria's allegations that the Ancients tried to destroy the Ori, or her assertation that the Ori do Ascend their followers are false.

Even if they believe that some of the Ori are evil, they have no way of knowing whether all of them are or whether the killings, forcing people to worship them, etc, are the work of a small handful.

For all they know, the only "bad" Ori crossed over into our galaxy via Adria and then duped Daniel (they'd hardly have trusted him so readily after so short a time) into destroying the other, blameless Ori who could perhaps have stopped the bad seed.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

the biggest problem with cooper's ori is that he didn't know what they were either.

I understand the basic premise...a bad guy with real power...but it was presented in such a way that at first, the Ori seemed overwhelming then they were dumbed down too much.

They didn't spend enough time developing the Ori, just running around after the graal and shouting, "The ori are coming."
      Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

a LOT of season 9 and 10 did watch like bad fanfic

the only thing keeping family ties from being fanfic is, if it had been fic, it woulda been vala's long lost sister who was injured somehow and cared for by the team or some such tripe

cameron himself, was a marty stu of hte highest order

all bounty needed was...ah, it was fanfic already just in the fic amy woulda gotten lucky with cam and went back to colorado with him ot eventually go on a mission through the gate
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
          the only thing keeping family ties from being fanfic is, if it had been fic, it woulda been vala's long lost sister who was injured somehow and cared for by the team or some such tripe
          That could have been so good, though. They meet Vala's long lost sister... and she's eighty-five.
          Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
          - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Prophet View Post
            That could have been so good, though. They meet Vala's long lost sister... and she's eighty-five.
            Long lost baby sister.

Comment

85 but somehow looking hawt in that really tight leather evening gown that she wears all the time due to its extreem practicallity.
              Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan View Post
                85 but somehow looking hawt in that really tight leather evening gown that she wears all the time due to its extreme practicality.
                Yeah, hence 'could' instead of 'would'.

"How long were you a Goa'uld?"
                "A century or so."
                "And how come she still looks seventeen?"
                "Good diet. Clean living."
                "And this is your sister?"

Heheh. Good twin, anyone?
                Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
                - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

Yeah, hence 'could' instead of 'would'.

"How long were you a Goa'uld?"
                  "A century or so."
                  "And how come she still looks seventeen?"
                  "Good diet. Clean living."
                  "And this is your sister?"

Heheh. Good twin, anyone?
                  The Stargate equivalent of a Vestal Virgin.

Comment

Going by canon...vala would have turned old if she was no longer a host. remember the ep with apotheosis host. He turned old when he was captured because there was no sarcophagus to use.

Old Vala COULD have been fun. All they needed to do was have Cam start comparing her to grandma and see her kick him in the privates.

Poor cam...he gets picked on soo badly. I'm glad BB has a good sense of humor about Cam.

What was that quote? If Mitchell and Crichton were in a fight who would win?

answer: Mitchell would have the upper hand till Ayeurn kicked his a$$.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackie View Post
                      Going by canon...vala would have turned old if she was no longer a host. remember the ep with apotheosis host. He turned old when he was captured because there was no sarcophagus to use.
                      Not necessarily; the Goa'uld are able to slow their hosts aging naturally even without the use of a sarcophagus - Martouf was a host for at least a hundred years and he and Lantash didn't use a sarcophagus.

If, hypothetically speaking, Vala had been a host to Qetesh for fifty years but that Qetesh was able to slow her aging to a fifth of what it would have been naturally, Vala would not suddenly age forty years the second Qetesh was out of her, she would just age normally from that point onwards. If, however, Vala had been a host to Qetesh for a thousand years with Qetesh using a sarcophagus regularly, those years would catch up on Vala once she stopped using the sarcophagus, even if she was still possessed by Qetesh.

Comment

vala turning old would only have happened had she been a host for centuries, and since her daddy is still alive, i'm guessing she was host to qetesh for 10-15 years at the most.

also, it was implied that pops used the sarc, whichkept him young and that's another reason he aged, he'd been in that scribe for 3000 years and taking daily turns in the sarc spin cycle.

that wouldnt apply to vala.

as to her sister, yeah, had the show taken that angle she'd have been a baby when vala got snaked, or 3 years old, so she'd be a nice pretty and sexy 18
                        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist View Post
                          I liked the original series Daniel. Thought he was a worthwhile and sympathetic character.

The original movie Jack (played by Kurt Russell) was a bitter, hard soldier. RDA softened Jack up a bit, but O'Neill was still the openly jaded-from-experience member of the team. Openly snarky and often cynical (and written to be right about his cynicism most of the time).

I can't stand the Season 9/10 Daniel who somehow has taken on the cynical snarky view - and the judgemental tone of voice. Judgement that is passed *so* quickly. The Daniel-morphed-into-a-psuedo-Jack is a horrible thing to watch. IMHO.
                          I agree. It was a trashing of the Daniel character and showed a misunderstanding of Jack IMHO.

If they wanted Daniel to become cynical etc. they should have *shown* us why he became that way. It was left for us to explain. Was it the experience with Anubis? Was *he* Anubis in disguise? Did he have a particular form of brain damage?

He seemed to ignore his teammates/friends of 8 years for no apparent reason. They didn't have a falling out, they just seemed to become largely irrelevant to him. Sad, sad, sad.

Comment

just read the latest AT interview. She sounds like she is enjoying the new role. However she did make a statement that worries me. "It's like playing a new character."

my mind went into flash back mode when MS stated, "It's like a whole new show."

I'm afraid to asked what they did to sam. I don't want Sam to be a new character. I want Sam.

OT--i went a bought a new sewing machine today. Basic machine from Sears...under a hundred bucks and works better than the old broken one.

Now I can sew my daughter's Halloween costume...I think she should go as Sam Carter or a WASP/WAC/WAVES girl, but she wants to be a doggie. she's 12 and nearing the last year of trick or treating. How can I change her mind?

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                              vala turning old would only have happened had she been a host for centuries, and since her daddy is still alive, i'm guessing she was host to qetesh for 10-15 years at the most.
                              Or ... Daddy was a former host also, he might've even been the one capturing his beloved daughter for Quetesh. Think of all the angst and drama that would introduce, it would be right up TPTB's alley.

as to her sister, yeah, had the show taken that angle she'd have been a baby when vala got snaked, or 3 years old, so she'd be a nice pretty and sexy 18
                              They'd should've gone with that option, it would've distracted a large portion of the viewers from the bad story and their lovable "deus ex machina" solutions.
                              Signed,

Gregorius
                              Gateworld Forum Troublemaker Extraordinaire.

sigpic

Support the (r)Evolution: Gregorius for Moderator.
                              Gregorius, because clowning about is his raison d'être.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
                                I agree. It was a trashing of the Daniel character and showed a misunderstanding of Jack IMHO.

If they wanted Daniel to become cynical etc. they should have *shown* us why he became that way. It was left for us to explain. Was it the experience with Anubis? Was *he* Anubis in disguise? Did he have a particular form of brain damage?

He seemed to ignore his teammates/friends of 8 years for no apparent reason. They didn't have a falling out, they just seemed to become largely irrelevant to him. Sad, sad, sad.
                                A Season 9 episode was on the other day.. and I watched a couple of minutes... Jackson was overpoweringly a know-it-all, when a scientist would be just theorizing and guessing about something new... Mitchell and Carter were apparently stuck in another dimension or some such (where they could see Jackson and Landry - but Jackson and Landry couldn't see Mitchell and Carter. Nor could they directly talk to each other). But here is this Ancient device that 'bridges the dimensions'... and Jackson is loudly expounding what and how it all works (before any of it is tested). And then what was even weirder was that Mitchell worked the device from 'Mitchell and Carter's side' of the 'other dimension'. And Carter basically just stood there... didn't even have much to say... she just occassionally nodded. So... here's a piece of alien technology and Carter's not even trying to do anything. She's written as just standing there while Mitchell - a pilot... - communicates with Jackson. Mitchell occassionally has a line, as does Landry, but most of the exposition goes to Jackson... who didn't come across as a sympathetic or endearing character (like he used to)... instead, he came across as an annoying know-it-all who just wanted the rest of the lame-brained universe to catch up to his own 'brilliance'. Tone of voice too worldweary for me and the tempo of delivery was too fast for the content to be intriguing.

I only watched for a few minutes and then went on to something more worthwhile... even an infomercial would be better!

Personally, I don't like what they did to any of the characters. Jackson (too cynical and cranky and jaded... too bulked up for my tastes as well), Carter (no fun anymore - where's the smile?, not as solid a character, has little to do in Seasons 9 &10), Teal'c (too hard), Mitchell (a bad move, a ridiculous character, should have been a major who could learn from the team and add to the show instead of trying to be the new central character), Landry (a pale shadow of his predecessors) or Vala (ridiculous and uneven). None of them are appealing or endearing anymore. As a team - it's unbelievable - and at best, dysfunctional. As a group of heroes... nope. And with poor storytelling and contradictions with their own canon... ugh!

Just horrible.
                                Last edited by astrogeologist; 16 September 2007, 03:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X