S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Amanda Eros
    In Cooper's interview with Scifi.com, he basically made fun of the idea of bringing those guys back. He called them the Shippers and said that they were basically created so that Sam/Jack shippers could see them kiss.

%#^%^#^*! Well! Frankly, I'm only kind of a shipper. I just want good storytelling. Team storytelling even. With occational forays into focussing on a character. If there is ship subtext, fine. I'll read fanfic to get the shippiness factor. Once again. RCC just does not get it. What correlation is there between the aliens and the kiss? Did I miss something?

Suse
    sigpic
    Mourning Sanctuary.
    Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
      Saw part of the Beau Bridges panel at the convention today. He gave away some plot details for an upcoming ep.
      Spoiler:
      Apparently Landry and Mitchell are gonna spend some time alone in Landry's mountain cabin (everyone else was invited but got waylaid). So I present to you the newest scare in slash: LITCH.

Have fun.
      Well, that certainly explains Cams er, leadership role. :evil grin:
      sigpic
      Mourning Sanctuary.

Comment

Originally posted by suse
        %#^%^#^*! Well! Frankly, I'm only kind of a shipper. I just want good storytelling. Team storytelling even. With occational forays into focussing on a character. If there is ship subtext, fine. I'll read fanfic to get the shippiness factor. Once again. RCC just does not get it. What correlation is there between the aliens and the kiss? Did I miss something?

Suse
        Welll, I thought it was just me who was all "following still you not"! Whew, and upon having my daily quota of coffee I still am not able to put the pieces together???

Besides, these guys are masters of the contrived - unlike SG-1 they don't need help - alien or otherwise. Sorry, that was snarky!
        If you immediately know the ep stinks, the writers were cooked a long time ago

Member of Gategrrlz Gone Wild
        proud Shore Leave 28 Attendee
        Naughty Shore Leave 29 Attendee (sorry all but thanks for the rescue. many many thanks)

Carmen Argenziano Appreciation

Comment

Originally posted by WhatFateAlmondRoca
          Funny, that! Didn't one of the TPTBs - or maybe even MS (sorry, I don't remember where I read it) that Stargate was going to become less dependent on specific actors???
          they did. however, if there is nothing unique about the actor/character, nothing that makes them one of a kind, well then anyone can be hired to take their place.

MS ticks scifi off, no worries, they'll just recast the role with another good looking 30 something actor and make him a linguist

AT looks at someone the wrong way, no worries, there's no shortage of nubile young females that can be hired to be air force officers

etc, etc, etc

by making the characters more generic, they make them more interchangable
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
            they did. however, if there is nothing unique about the actor/character, nothing that makes them one of a kind, well then anyone can be hired to take their place.

MS ticks scifi off, no worries, they'll just recast the role with another good looking 30 something actor and make him a linguist

AT looks at someone the wrong way, no worries, there's no shortage of nubile young females that can be hired to be air force officers

etc, etc, etc

Precisely! Of course that's only provided that they actually have a show for which to cast...hence our frustrations with no TEAM. Hence it becoming like any other show. Why develop consistent strong characters when said characters may or may not be around?

Speaking of inconsistent character development, it seems to me that Sam is acting in a way she never did. Have you noticed how she now responds to those who are 'way smarter?' Twice this season that I can recall - once with Orlin and once with the new Asgard dude/ette - when presented with vastly suprior intellect she's like 'whatever just give me the bottom line'. Isn't that O'Neill's line? No more trying to understand, no more 'what are keiron pathways?', no more reasoning through things. Not like the Sam they've developed over previous seasons. But that's just my take on it. Perhaps showing some Tau'ri intellect is now deemed to be too boring?

Naughty Shore Leave 29 Attendee (sorry all but thanks for the rescue. many many thanks)

Comment

etc, etc, etc

ANd by making them more generic they make them more boring. Average. Whatever mediocre word you choose. If no one stands out from the masses I don't see a reason to watch this particular show. I can get the same drivel on network teevee. No need to pay for cable/satellite. They are interchangable in a bad way.
              sigpic
              Mourning Sanctuary.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                Saw part of the Beau Bridges panel at the convention today. He gave away some plot details for an upcoming ep.
                Spoiler:
                Apparently Landry and Mitchell are gonna spend some time alone in Landry's mountain cabin (everyone else was invited but got waylaid). So I present to you the newest scare in slash: LITCH.

Have fun.
                I could have lived out my days with out knowing that. Now I am going to have nightmares!
                WHAT DO YOU MEAN, NO BLUE JELLO?

Comment

which is good for the network, since no actor can 'hold them hostage' (Ie be irreplacable) yet, you're right, it is bad for the show in the long run because it loses what makes it unique.

take crusade for example. anyone, and i mean ANYONE coulda sat in that room and talked to vala. there was no unique knowledge or skill....they were just talking heads. It coulda been siler, walter and major wood talking to her for all the difference it was

which, while not denying that that episode was a gold mine for fans of vala and claudia, didn't leave much there for anyone that likes any other aspect of the show.

It's thier greatest weakness.

back in the 'good old days' like in FIAD, when daniel had his shau'ri fantasties, we got to see hwo his decision affected everyone else. Same with ITLOD adn sam. Sam didn't just get goaulded, the TEAM got goaulded.
                  In paradise lost, jack may have been marooned, but we got to see how it effected sam and jonas and teal'c

but in babylon???? Hey, did anyone even NOTICE that cambo went missing? they sure didn't seem to care beyond 'dang, now i got paperwork to do'

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by WhatFateAlmondRoca
                    Funny, that! Didn't one of the TPTBs - or maybe even MS (sorry, I don't remember where I read it) that Stargate was going to become less dependent on specific actors???
                    If this means we will see more teams like Col. Dixon's I'm all for it. I wouldn't have minded if this season was a mixed bag of different teams gathering information and carefully weaving the information together to defeat the new arch baddie. It would have spared me the endless Mitchell dribble and the 'bliss' that is Vala. I like Reynolds and Griff and Dixon. And for a clip show it could have been a conference of the team leaders and scientists and a special general I've been missing with an end like the end of Heroes1 when they gear up and head for the gate. Oh and while it may still be Stargate it certainly would not be SG-1
                    sigpic
                    Distinguished Service Ribbon Goa'uld Campaign
                    My Stories zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Artwork by Mala

Comment

which is good for the network, since no actor can 'hold them hostage' (Ie be irreplacable) yet, you're right, it is bad for the show in the long run because it loses what makes it unique.

take crusade for example. anyone, and i mean ANYONE coulda sat in that room and talked to vala. there was no unique knowledge or skill....they were just talking heads. It coulda been siler, walter and major wood talking to her for all the difference it was

which, while not denying that that episode was a gold mine for fans of vala and claudia, didn't leave much there for anyone that likes any other aspect of the show.

It's thier greatest weakness.

back in the 'good old days' like in FIAD, when daniel had his shau'ri fantasties, we got to see hwo his decision affected everyone else. Same with ITLOD adn sam. Sam didn't just get goaulded, the TEAM got goaulded.
                      In paradise lost, jack may have been marooned, but we got to see how it effected sam and jonas and teal'c

but in babylon???? Hey, did anyone even NOTICE that cambo went missing? they sure didn't seem to care beyond 'dang, now i got paperwork to do'
                      I think you are spot on with what interchangeability can do to the character dynamics on a show.

Crusade - they should have had the Get in the Gate winner in there with Vala. Shoot I'd have come in there for free and pinched her head on the monitor a few times- would have been more entertaining than an hour of Vala exposition with some cutaways.

I'm usually not this negative (or sarcastic) - this thread has kind of become my place for expressing my reservations about the show. I realize I'm doing so with a somewhat snarky and sarcastic approach - I don't want to put off anyone who doesn't agree - hopefully make them laugh and/or think?

Comment

Originally posted by Zoser
                        <snip>the 'bliss' that is Vala.
                        ROFLMAO

A good point about it still resembling Stargate....

Comment

Originally posted by Zoser
                          If this means we will see more teams like Col. Dixon's I'm all for it. I wouldn't have minded if this season was a mixed bag of different teams gathering information and carefully weaving the information together to defeat the new arch baddie. It would have spared me the endless Mitchell dribble and the 'bliss' that is Vala. I like Reynolds and Griff and Dixon. And for a clip show it could have been a conference of the team leaders and scientists and a special general I've been missing with an end like the end of Heroes1 when they gear up and head for the gate. Oh and while it may still be Stargate it certainly would not be SG-1
                          that, i think, is something they should have learned from shanks little vacation.

MS decided to leave and....umm, we got no one. They had to create a charcter to fill his role. So Jonas was born, and, since he was new, faced the dual handicap of being the new guy AND being a totally new character that we knew nothing about.

Let's play what if. WHat if, SG-13 is a good example since they exist, SG-13 started being developed as supporting characters. Members of that team could switch in and out if the sg1 actors needed time off. THey could go on dual missions, maybe even having an episode a year that was all thiers.

then, rda decides to leave. Hey, whatta you know, we got an already established replacemetn for him in the form of Dixon. sweet, cool, the established guy moves into rda's job and ben is hired to be the new leader of sg-13, thus keeping the 'second string' full while not slighting any of them

I'm sure in reality something like this would be harder to pull off than on paper, but still, if some thought and planning would go into things, they could be so much better.

Like AT's baby leave. THey knew she was trying for a family. Knew it for over a year. did they make any plans to write sam out? beyond 'let's just get rid of her'?

apparantly not. they COULD have had a good arc going, but neglected to create it

these guys don't think ahead in any way. they dont' plan...which means that they keep pulling ideas out of their tushes...some of which work, some of which are a little too reminiscent of their source

sigpic

Comment

IIRC, weren't seasons 1-6 contracted in larger segments, i.e three seasons at a time? Whereas now with Skiffy they don't know from season to season if they are going to be canceled? I would think that would have a large effect on story arcs, characters, etc. I don't think it explains what they are doing now - it could still be much better.

Comment

In the thread about RDA returning someone suggested that Mitchell being captured by the Ori would be a good idea for season 10. My reply, That sounds great but would anyone care enough to try to rescue him?

Comment

lol

yeah, that could be a problem

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X