S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by STARGATE7777
    In the thread about RDA returning someone suggested that Mitchell being captured by the Ori would be a good idea for season 10. My reply, That sounds great but would anyone care enough to try to rescue him?
    lol, they might not notice he was gone.
    Odo's last wishes: cremate me, put me in my bucket, then shoot me through the wormhole.

Rogue

Comment

Teal'c: Col Carter, I have a overwhelming urge to whack Mitchell.
      Carter: Yeah Teal'c, I know what you mean.
      Odo's last wishes: cremate me, put me in my bucket, then shoot me through the wormhole.

Rogue

Comment

Originally posted by suse
        I've spent the past several days trying to remember what ep PU is. Oh, That one. Prometheus Unbound. I remember watching that ep. I kinda cocked my head and said, "Well, I can see that was supposed to be funny...(The sexual humor). Oddly enough, I wasn't laughing. I assumed PU was supposed to be The Humor Episode For The Season. As it went off my only thought was, "Well, that's one ep I don't bother rewatching, even with the commentary.

Imagine my dismay S9. Though you don't have to or you wouldn't be on this thread.

I don't even want to bother giving Vala a chance. But I will try. For a shortshort while. If only because I want to like the show. I don't think she can overcome my reservations though.

Mitchell I still have hope for. Not much. He's been bullocksed pretty badly, but I agree with Skydiver. He's a maybe.

Suse
        You know I felt the same way about PU, I never liked that ep. So when they brought Vala back in S9 my not liking the character had nothing to do with her "taking over" Sam's role, it had to do with a poorly developed character. I mean how long are you supposed to stomach a character like that.
        As for humour, I think they were telling you "Hey this is funny, you should be laughing"
        At least the humour in S1-8 fit into the scenes, you laughed when you felt it was funny, not when the "Lugh Tracks" told you to. An yes SG1 was a drama with appropriate funny moments.
        sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
          IMHO, get ready for a flood of promotion along the theme of 'reunited at last, two of Farscape's best stars' 'stargate sg-1, starring ben browder and claudia black' 'vala makes her triumphant return to sgargate sg-1' 'the return of a fan favorite, clauda black returns to stargate sg-1'

etc, etc, etc.

That's just the way it is, out with the old, in with the new
          So how long do we have to wait for the SG1 movies, starring the original cast? I just can't see sticking around to watch this
          sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
            Saw part of the Beau Bridges panel at the convention today. He gave away some plot details for an upcoming ep.
            Spoiler:
            Apparently Landry and Mitchell are gonna spend some time alone in Landry's mountain cabin (everyone else was invited but got waylaid). So I present to you the newest scare in slash: LITCH.

Have fun.
            Actually...
            [possible squick]
            Spoiler:
            ...given the way that Mitch kisses Landry's arse at every turn, the idea of LITCH looks pretty much natural and inevitable from my viewpoint...
            [/squick]
            ...a very cranky blog:http://simhavaktra.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
              As for humour, I think they were telling you "Hey this is funny, you should be laughing"
              At least the humour in S1-8 fit into the scenes, you laughed when you felt it was funny, not when the "Lugh Tracks" told you to. An yes SG1 was a drama with appropriate funny moments.
              Hell, they should just go one step further and add laugh tracks to season ten.

Comment

Originally posted by Simhavaktra
                Actually...
                [possible squick]
                Spoiler:
                ...given the way that Mitch kisses Landry's arse at every turn, the idea of LITCH looks pretty much natural and inevitable from my viewpoint...
                [/squick]
                I'm pretty sure that if the command things goes as it seems it will based on what I have heard from con reports, plus the sprog and vala crap, I will not last more than a few eps in S10 - if that. I said in another thread about what N. John Smith said about AT and I say lip service "talk is cheap" and "actions speak louder than words" and I do not like what I see or what I am hearing about continuing to diminish Carter especially in the command area - that is her command but for the fact that she (and AT) is a woman. mitchell is a terrible character thus far, not fit to command this team, IMO barely suitable to be ON the team, he does not deserve co-command, never mind sole command and he has NOT earned it. It really irks me coupled with the other crap and the ori which I find so boring and uninteresting that the command thing, if it does go solely to mitchell in S10, will push me all the way out of SG1.

Comment

Actually...
                  [possible squick]
                  Spoiler:
                  [/squick]
                  At least we'll know why he got to be leader of SG1
                  sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc
                    I'm pretty sure that if the command things goes as it seems it will based on what I have heard from con reports, plus the sprog and vala crap, I will not last more than a few eps in S10 - if that. I said in another thread about what N. John Smith said about AT and I say lip service "talk is cheap" and "actions speak louder than words" and I do not like what I see or what I am hearing about continuing to diminish Carter especially in the command area - that is her command but for the fact that she (and AT) is a woman. mitchell is a terrible character thus far, not fit to command this team, IMO barely suitable to be ON the team, he does not deserve co-command, never mind sole command and he has NOT earned it. It really irks me coupled with the other crap and the ori which I find so boring and uninteresting that the command thing, if it does go solely to mitchell in S10, will push me all the way out of SG1.
                    I think I read somewhere that most fans of the show are women, if they keep this up, S10 will be the last (not sure if that's their plan)
                    And hopefully the blame will be put on the new characters and the handling of the original characters.
                    sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

You know I felt the same way about PU, I never liked that ep. So when they brought Vala back in S9 my not liking the character had nothing to do with her "taking over" Sam's role, it had to do with a poorly developed character. I mean how long are you supposed to stomach a character like that.
                      I finallt figured out whay I associated Vala's sexual "humor" with Farscape. She's a Chiana clone! Tight lowcut boostie leather, using sex to get what she wants, a thief... Stargate PTB didn't create a new character, they just did a brain transplant on two Farscape characters.

Oddly enough, I found Chianna absolutely hilarious.

A friend of mine has a great way of looking at shows that I have adopted. As long as the writing is good and the show does not break its own universes rules she can accept almost anything. It's only when the shows "bible" is ignored that the show goes down the tubes. So while in was in keeping with Farscape to have scantily clad potty-mouthed sneakthieves work as main characters, for Fargate - I mean Stargate - that will never work.

Suse
                      sigpic
                      Mourning Sanctuary.
                      Thanks for the good times!

Comment

I think I read somewhere that most fans of the show are women, if they keep this up, S10 will be the last (not sure if that's their plan)
                        And hopefully the blame will be put on the new characters and the handling of the original characters.
                        And, in the latest copy of the SciFi magazine, they finish with their usual 'mini-editorial' in which they say that they're trying to attract more female viewers (not women, note, but female viewers). Why does it not occur to them that showing women in strong, well-written, realistic roles might help achieve that goal? Probably for the same reason that I see people saying that Vala is realistic, and I boggle at how two such radically different universes as theirs and mine can actually communicate electronically. It's always more difficult to recognize wishful thinking when it's your own, and I think the Stargate PTB-Continuum displays a particularly acute handicap in that regard.

That veneer of realism was part of what made Stargate special, and it included how they handled the character of Sam, at least before they gave her an overactive girlfriend gland, and then proceeded to ignore her as much as humanly possible thereafter when the obligatory boyfriend had flown the coop. (Although that is a realistic representation of some real life relationships I've seen - when you've gotten the girl, then you can safely ignore her. Bah and feh.) I wonder if the folks in TPTB-Continuum have ever actually spoken to women, as opposed to females, about Stargate, and did they survive the experience un-traumatized by the women if they did...

(I'm guessing no - never spoke to them, and can't believe they have anything worth hearing to say.) (I feel another letter to the editor coming on....)
                        ...a very cranky blog:http://simhavaktra.blogspot.com/

Comment

And, in the latest copy of the SciFi magazine, they finish with their usual 'mini-editorial' in which they say that they're trying to attract more female viewers (not women, note, but female viewers). Why does it not occur to them that showing women in strong, well-written, realistic roles might help achieve that goal? Probably for the same reason that I see people saying that Vala is realistic, and I boggle at how two such radically different universes as theirs and mine can actually communicate electronically. It's always more difficult to recognize wishful thinking when it's your own, and I think the Stargate PTB-Continuum displays a particularly acute handicap in that regard.

That veneer of realism was part of what made Stargate special, and it included how they handled the character of Sam, at least before they gave her an overactive girlfriend gland, and then proceeded to ignore her as much as humanly possible thereafter when the obligatory boyfriend had flown the coop. (Although that is a realistic representation of some real life relationships I've seen - when you've gotten the girl, then you can safely ignore her. Bah and feh.) I wonder if the folks in TPTB-Continuum have ever actually spoken to women, as opposed to females, about Stargate, and did they survive the experience un-traumatized by the women if they did...

(I'm guessing no - never spoke to them, and can't believe they have anything worth hearing to say.) (I feel another letter to the editor coming on....)
                          Well you see the problem is, when they go to talk to "females" they happen to be in the audience of "The Jerry Springer Show"
                          sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Oh, BTW... Martin Gero made the mistake of "polling" the audience to find out what they thought of the Ori. There was a lackluster response to "Who likes them?" followed by a resounding "Booo!" to "Who doesn't like them?"

He seemed surprised, but maybe that was just me. He quipped, "I guess they'll get defeated pretty quickly then." But alas, I'm sure that's just more Gero humor. *sigh*

Good to know that the majority hates the Ori, though. Maybe fans aren't quite so gullible after all.

Comment

Originally posted by STARGATE7777
                              In the thread about RDA returning someone suggested that Mitchell being captured by the Ori would be a good idea for season 10. My reply, That sounds great but would anyone care enough to try to rescue him?
                              Won't need to. After annoying them for a couple of hours, the Ori would return him back to us as punishment for not following the path of origin.
                              A Symbiote

Comment

MS said so in an interview.
                                Scanning the profiles on this thread alone - we are mostly female.
                                Will have to see what S10 brings but I am a bit surprise that Sci-fi and/or Sony hasn't stepped in to force a course correction to save this lucrative franchise.
                                A Symbiote

Comment

Working...
                                X