No announcement yet.

S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cam was just hyper (and in that way like Crichton). too bad--Mitchell could have been a good character--I felt like we saw glimmers of what he could have been a few times this season...

Comment

Originally posted by JesterDala View Post
      Personally, I feel the same way about Claudia Black. She's so talented in that there are no traces of her Farscape character Aeryn Sun in Vala and no traces of Vala MalDoran in Aeryn. It's amazing how drastically different the two characters are and how Claudia can still portray them both with a sense of sincerity.

As for Ben Browder... talented though he is, there is virtually no distinction between John Crichton from Farscape and Cameron Mitchell from Stargate SG-1, which is a large part of why I don't like him in S9 and S10.
      Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
      I see that more of a problem with the writers, maybe they wanted Cam to be like John and I didn't see them as really knowing who Cam was.
      Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
      Cam was just hyper (and in that way like Crichton). too bad--Mitchell could have been a good character--I felt like we saw glimmers of what he could have been a few times this season...
      I noticed that Mitchell is very similar to chriton. I believe that is the writing though. I think the writers were going for a chriton take off to begin with. I haven't seen him in much of anything else to compare with other than farscape.

Of the few movies I did see MS in--his characters seem to be pretty constant. Same type of character. It would be intresting to see MS play a gay man dying of aids or a drug user going to intervietion or therapy. Same with BB. I'm sure the actors could pull it off but the character would have to be drastically different that what they get cast as.

CB has just such a wide range of expression--I think acting comes more natural to her. I think CB sould have been given a better material to make Vala more realistic. The material and the lines were just so--dumbed down and out of the blue. One could make Vala into a cartoon character.
      Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
        I see that more of a problem with the writers, maybe they wanted Cam to be like John and I didn't see them as really knowing who Cam was.
        i think they just wrote 'generic white male action hero' and crichton and cam fit both roles...thus one is pretty much the same as the other
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
          i've always though...i dunno, as long as he wasn't totally a mimick of jack but how about grumpy cam? someone forced to be there for some reason? someone putting in his time...who finds a new lease on life in the gate?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jackie View Post
            CB has just such a wide range of expression--I think acting comes more natural to her. I think CB sould have been given a better material to make Vala more realistic. The material and the lines were just so--dumbed down and out of the blue. One could make Vala into a cartoon character.
            vala was definitely a waste of claudia's talents. she could have been so much more than token girlfriend but that's all she was allowed to be, daniel's girlfriend.

and if you take away that arc, all that's left for her is 'mommy of the baddie', another cliched role

they had a golden opportunity to deal with the ramifications of being an exhost but totally ignored it unless they needed a quip or joke

sigpic

Comment

That was me. Thank you. I was just ranting in the fic.

It's easier to become a character fan than an actor fan by the very nature of the buisness. You see the character's emotions and drive. Not the actors.

There are very few actors that I would want to meet. I know many people would do anything to be in show and meet the actors. (Hubby every year: did you enter me in the contest? I'm computer challanged.) In all honesty, I would rather not be a walk on for the show. Though, seeing how the whole production is made and everyone involoved would be intresting. If I were to win such a contest. I would be hanging out with the donut cart guy.

There are a couple of stargate actors/actresses I would like to meet just because I do find them intresting off screen:

Amanda Tapping and Gary Jones
              James Spader
              Don Davis
              I printed it out and showed it at work one guy had to take my printout home tonight to show his wife.

One of the other guys did mention that DJ has been married on the show and he didnt get the Fraiser thing. Oye, casual fans... cant live with out them, you cant expect them to understand what the heck ship is... I guess it didnt help he was a HUGE Fraiser fan so maybe he was jealous.
              Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan View Post
                I printed it out and showed it at work one guy had to take my printout home tonight to show his wife.

One of the other guys did mention that DJ has been married on the show and he didnt get the Fraiser thing. Oye, casual fans... cant live with out them, you cant expect them to understand what the heck ship is... I guess it didnt help he was a HUGE Fraiser fan so maybe he was jealous.
                I'm not surprised he didn't get the Fraiser thing. I never thought of shipping Daniel to Janet till after I came to the boards and saw the thread. Then i was thinking that Janet would have made a great pairing for Daniel and she could have been a full time regular if she had gotten off world more.

Janet (if they didn't kill her in season 7) would have been a great addition to SG-1 when Jack left the series. (I'm sure RDA would have retired if TR was still employed. Sounds like he wanted to retire for a long time.)

If I thought more of Janet as a main character when i started writting--I would have had her taken by the Goa'uld and then made her a host. But the blending would go wrong and she would maintain some control. I would have loved to have seen Janet take on a Goa'uld in her head and win. Far more interesting than what 9 and 10 turned into IMO.

Of course, I would never kill the Asgard or Jacob either.

To stir things up for Jacob--I would have Salmak pass away and then he would become a new host to another tokra. But, this one would be very different from Salmak and Jacob would be at odds with the new symbiont.

With Teal'c, I would have loved to have seen him search for his own god. I would have had Teal'c experiencing every religion on Earth. Then, have him become a Buddhist. Then I would have parts of the new religion conflict with his job. (don't kill part).

I didn't start writing fan fics till the end of season 8. Never thought of this stuff till after the fact. Maybe now that the series is done--I won't have any current canon to worry about. I could ignore canon too!
                Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

I'm not surprised he didn't get the Fraiser thing. I never thought of shipping Daniel to Janet till after I came to the boards and saw the thread. Then i was thinking that Janet would have made a great pairing for Daniel and she could have been a full time regular if she had gotten off world more.

Janet (if they didn't kill her in season 7) would have been a great addition to SG-1 when Jack left the series. (I'm sure RDA would have retired if TR was still employed. Sounds like he wanted to retire for a long time.)

If I thought more of Janet as a main character when i started writting--I would have had her taken by the Goa'uld and then made her a host. But the blending would go wrong and she would maintain some control. I would have loved to have seen Janet take on a Goa'uld in her head and win. Far more interesting than what 9 and 10 turned into IMO.

Of course, I would never kill the Asgard or Jacob either.

To stir things up for Jacob--I would have Salmak pass away and then he would become a new host to another tokra. But, this one would be very different from Salmak and Jacob would be at odds with the new symbiont.

With Teal'c, I would have loved to have seen him search for his own god. I would have had Teal'c experiencing every religion on Earth. Then, have him become a Buddhist. Then I would have parts of the new religion conflict with his job. (don't kill part).

I didn't start writing fan fics till the end of season 8. Never thought of this stuff till after the fact. Maybe now that the series is done--I won't have any current canon to worry about. I could ignore canon too!
                  Write! Write! And then post it... with a link for everyone

Comment

i ignore canon all the time

it's called an AU fic...alternate universe

take a left turn at albuquerque and run with an idea

sigpic

Comment

Question.
                      If the midseason hiatus was just part of Sci-Fi channels evil plan to destroy stargate ratings, what is it going to do to "interest" in the movies to have S10 end last week but not have the movies air until sometime next year?

Isnt that like a Hiatus? Does MGM\Sony have the same evil plans as Sci-Fi? Will all the causal fans (the few who know about the movies) who have a mild interest in seeing those movies still care by 2008? Will some of the supposed "hard core" fans?

I guess they will have Carter talking up the events of the movies and no doubt they will make good use of the USAF footage in the previews (at least for Continuim) but considering how much interest has been lost I wonder if they will be able to get it back for a movie that people have to go to the video store to Pay for.

Yes I know the final had higher ratings. Which is good for atlantis but not sure "Unending" was an ep that would have sold people on the franchise. It certainly didnt setup any cliffhanger or anything that people just NEED to come back and see the ending of. I would say if that was a normal mid season ep that the next weeks ep would take a ratings dip (based on reviews from casual viewers that I have heard). Not much there to garner interest.
                      Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

unless

waht if the movies are meant to pique interest in stargate, to another audience

ie: mgm isn't gonna release them to pimp skiffy's ratings and thier profit, they're gonna release them to pimp the franchise...and possibly on a new home

which is a reason to delay them until the end of/after s4 airs.

they are meant to pimp and set up Universe, not to pimp sga. scifi is using mgm for programming, mgm is using scifi for exposure

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post

What's so special about Albuquerque?

AU fics are wonderful because they're the "might have been" stories. If the writers keep many of the details pretty consistent with the show, there's some real potential for an awesome story.

Seasons nine and ten seem to just cry out for AUs. How would the stargate universe be different if Cam were a major under Sam's command or if Sam, Daniel and Teal'c ripped him a new one for not listening to them in the field, if Vala didn't become a member of SG-1 or were called to the carpet for her sexual harrassment of Daniel, if Lam were not related to Landry?

The list goes on, and the possibilities are rife with potential.
                          sigpic

In memory of Deejay.
                          May we all be so well loved.

Comment

What's so special about Albuquerque?
                            I'm showing my age.

anyone watch Merrie Melodies????

bugs, whenever he got in trouble, made a wrong turn at alburueque (or however you spell that dang city)

sigpic

Comment

I'm showing my age.

anyone watch Merrie Melodies????

bugs, whenever he got in trouble, made a wrong turn at alburueque (or however you spell that dang city)
                              of course you could have pulled a Snagglepuss-
                              "exit-stage left (or right)"
                              Franklin said, "They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

"Do or do not. There is no try." Yoda

Comment

I like that idea. It's kinda of like this...

Rocky: And now...
                                Bullwinkle: Hey, Rocky, watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat

Rocky: And now, here's something we hope you'll really like.

It's a different animal every time Moose pull's out the rabbit.
                                Last edited by LaCroix; 27 June 2007, 08:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X