No announcement yet.

S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We also seem to be discounting how much she has aged since being "freed". How long has it been since she enslaved that planet? How long has she been since the Tokra removed her? She wasn’t at the council of system lords so it was prior to that, right? 10-20 years?

Speaking of the Tokra. They are quite the practical bunch. Not lead by emotions. Why would they have felt sorry for this system lord’s host and freed her instead of just killing them. It doesn’t seem in character. I mean I could see them capturing her and torturing her to get info out of the goa'uld and then feeling bad and freeing the host but otherwise if they have nothing to gain then why bother?

Also if you are going to bother because you feel bad for the person, why then just "abandon" them on a planet where they will be tortured and almost killed. It makes no sense and is out of character for the Tokra. Unless of course the Tokra did have a good selfish reason to free her and then she betrayed them and that is why they "abandoned" her. And of course perhaps the beating she got on whatever world she was on was less to do with the goa'uld and more to do with some crime she committed. We only have her word and that has proven not to be good. It would be nice to get the Tokra POV, but of course they don’t really exist in the NEW Stargate except as a minor plot device so somehow justify the pathetic back-story created for vala.

Kendra was freed from the goa'uld by Thors Hammer. She choose to honor Thor and his people as thanks for the freedom she was given despite the fact many considered her a witchdoctor using evil magic.

Teal'c was freed from the goa'uld with the help of the Tauri. He choose to honor the Tauri by pledging himself to their world and helping them fight the goa'uld despite the fact that many tauri didn’t trust him since he was an alien.

Vala....who has she honored besides herself? Maybe her goa'uld? After all even though she was freed from the goa'uld by the Tokra she choose to continue to have people worship her more "benevolent" version of her goa'uld. In a sense causing "honor" for that goa'uld. Mostly she honors no one, she has no honor and doesn’t understand the concept of it. Trusting her is a stretch into the land of stupidity for the SGC. At least TPTB kept the Tokra somewhat reasonable by implying they didn’t have trust in her, but I am sure that was by pure accident more then actual planning.
    Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

vala's back story is whatever they made up in that 10 minutes when they realized....umm, ok, we need to make peopel feel sorry for her. that'll make them love and adore her...how do we do that????

that's pretty much what family ties was, a way to set up a 'poor vala' feeling

In the past, the tok'ra really haven't cared about the host, unless the tau'ri are there to make them care. the host is nothing more than collateral damage. so why save her? and if she really had all that valuable info, why just dump her?

Unless, of course, that's not what really happened and vala's whole pity me story was made up just to get others to feel sorry for her
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I have a crazy idea : How would Vala have been perceived if she was carrying a Goaul'd in "Prometheus Unbound" and the SGC would have freed her at the beginning of S9. Much more interesting !

Comment

Originally posted by petemoretti View Post
          I have a crazy idea : How would Vala have been perceived if she was carrying a Goaul'd in "Prometheus Unbound" and the SGC would have freed her at the beginning of S9. Much more interesting !
          I don't believe the essential personality of a person changes-sometimes the Host can exert some control over the Goa'uld-Skarra and Sha're did. Jolinar gave up her life for Sam. Selmak and Jacob managed to blend well that they each were able to influence the other for the better-but I doubt that Vala's larvae was anymore straight arrow than Vala herself was.

this may sound mean-but in my limited experience with people that end of suffering from Parkinson or Alzheimer or any other Organic Brain issues-if their personality was essentially kind and friendly before, they still were, but if they were nasty prior-they still are and more so.

Vala has not really shown much in the way of redeeming herself-yeah, we see sparks but not enough to convince me that she has any real redeeming social value or quality to her character. Which is a pity because I think that the actress was/is being shortchanged because of it. There is so much that she can do with Vala, but unable to do so with how she is now.

I am not looking forward to Vala and the Raiders of the Lost Ark.
          Franklin said, "They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

"Do or do not. There is no try." Yoda

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
            Oh yea, and let's not forget (although TPTB may have) that in the episode Cor-ai, Teal'c was captured and put on trial for the murder. Hammond said that Teal'c actually was a war criminal and the SGC had no right to intrefere with the other people holding him accountable to his crime. Teal'c even plead guilty to killing the young man's father and was willing to face the punishment of death.

Oh yea but that was a different show, it was a drama
            Oh for those days. (sigh) Too bad the writers got mixed up and decided Stargate was a comedy with dramatic moments instead of the drama with humorous moments that it started as. Humor leavened the drama, but that's not what the show was about. And let's not forget a lot of the *so-called* humor has not been the clever, character-inspired stuff we used to see.

Comment

Originally posted by pittsburghgirl View Post
              Blasphemy!!
              Please don't put one of my all time favourite movies in such company!!
              -

Comment

Originally posted by RealmOfX View Post
                Blasphemy!!
                Please don't put one of my all time favourite movies in such company!!
                oh I am with you-I am not looking forward to it either. but I am afraid that is what it is going to turn into-so help me-if she shows up with that hat and and a whip...
                Franklin said, "They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

Comment

oh I am with you-I am not looking forward to it either. but I am afraid that is what it is going to turn into-so help me-if she shows up with that hat and and a whip...
                  I'll get the P90's, you get the C4 and zats, then we form a posse
                  -

Comment

Originally posted by RealmOfX View Post
                    I'll get the P90's, you get the C4 and zats, then we form a posse
                    right there with you.

Comment

Ah, you didn't get the title quite right, it's Indiana Jackson and the Raiders of the Lost Ark

Oh and sign me up
                      sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Ah, you didn't get the title quite right, it's Indiana Jackson and the Raiders of the Lost Ark

Oh and sign me up
                        Done!

(does this mean we get Jackson with the hat and the whip?)

Comment

Done!

(does this mean we get Jackson with the hat and the whip?)
                          That depends if Vala gets her hands on it
                          sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

That depends if Vala gets her hands on it
                            *insert big eyes here

Comment

*insert big eyes here
                              sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

singing: "We bad, we know it. We bad, we show it."

Comment

Working...
                                X