S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ses110 View Post
    I still cannot figure out why TPTB and the Sam character in particular seem to have a phobia in mentioning the Jack character? How can you not
    Spoiler:
    mention Jack in the last SG-1 episode? These things may seem small to TPTB but they are a big deal to many Fans.Regarding McKay he already get most of the screentime on Atlantis does he have to been in SG-1 episodes as well? I have nothing aginst the Actor it's just I do not see what TPTB sees in the McKay character. TPTB seem to a love for a certain character and they can forget many of the other characters.
    maybe rick owns the characters' name???

i dunno, it is liek they go out of thier way to ignore as much of the past as possible, even mentioning characters' names
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I still cannot figure out why TPTB and the Sam character in particular seem to have a phobia in mentioning the Jack character? How can you not
      Spoiler:
      mention Jack in the last SG-1 episode? These things may seem small to TPTB but they are a big deal to many Fans.Regarding McKay he already get most of the screentime on Atlantis does he have to been in SG-1 episodes as well? I have nothing aginst the Actor it's just I do not see what TPTB sees in the McKay character. TPTB seem to a love for a certain character and they can forget many of the other characters.
      As for TRNT, I think they have a fear of mentioning anything potentially "shippy." Even if it wasn't meant to be romantic, I think fans from all camps - both pro and anti - would've jumped on it and responded accordingly.

As for the other episode,
      Spoiler:
      There's no excuse for that. It's like someone from TPTB would rather just pretend like Jack never existed. It's pretty ridiculous. And transparent. Among other things.

And yeah, while I really like David Hewlett and Claudia Black, TPTB developed a real love affair with their characters and got a really bad case of tunnel vision as a result. It looks like they took steps to tone it down in S10 and now in S4, but I guess we'll have to see how far they were willing to go to look beyond the faves.

ETA: As for ownership of the Jack O'Neill name, I would think that Brad Wright had obtained those rights long ago, if there were any to be had. Ownership of character names... sounds like a messy business.

Comment

Spoiler:
        I see ignoring the character, to the extent that TPTB do, ominous. I find the total lack of regard for past characters, Janet, Jacob and even Hammond a confirmation that the shows set canon is no longer valid in the writer's minds.

At the same time, the constant shoving of three new characters to the front and center of the shows set canon to be an insult. It truely does give the impression to the veiwer that the old characters, along with the old show, is gone and has nothing to do with the history of this--new and improved?--show.

The first 8 years of stargate--to me--has been ripped away. Taken out from under my feet. As if I spent those 8 years watching a show that never existed. A waste, a complete waste of time--that's the impression I have from TPTB currently.

According to the new stargate--I should just forget all about it--unless it's a plot device.

Jack? Jack who? Janet? Oh, she died--but you--little fan--should be happy. We got TR to play Janet Fraiser in one more ep. oO course--she was from an AU. But--we gave you what you wanted.

But TPTB fail to understand that--as much as I like Janet Fraiser--I would much rather have the character's death delt with. I would rather that Sam mentioned Janet's name in fond memory. I would rather she asked about Jack and how he was doing. Even if she was given a line in the show--about how she visited Jack over the weekend. She's putting him on a diet and Jack doesn't like the fat free diet. A line where Daniel would ask how Jack was or that he had seen Jack over the weekend and Jack took him to the national flight museum. Something that tells us that even though RDA has moved on. Jack is still there.

They don't have to have an episiode based solesly on the whereabouts of Jack. Just a mention of the character. The same way people will ask about thier friends in real life. Little things--like that.
        Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

Spoiler:
          I would have rather had Jack in Unending instead of Atlantis's Real World. I thought he belonged in the last series ep. TPTB have killed off most of the beloved characters, and I wouldn't be surprise if they wanted to kill Jack off too. Of course there are other ways of killing off a character besides making him die. Just move him to DC without explaintion, then never mention him again.
          Odo's last wishes: cremate me, put me in my bucket, then shoot me through the wormhole.

Rogue

Comment

Originally posted by Rogue View Post
            I would have rather had Jack in Unending instead of Atlantis's Real World. I thought he belonged in the last series ep. TPTB have killed off most of the beloved characters, and I wouldn't be surprise if they wanted to kill Jack off too. Of course there are other ways of killing off a character besides making him die. Just move him to DC without explaintion, then never mention him again.
            on B5 they refer to that as "death of personality"

kind like on soap operas they go out for a pack of cigarettes and nobody sees them for 20 years
            Franklin said, "They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

"Do or do not. There is no try." Yoda

Comment

Originally posted by pittsburghgirl View Post
              on B5 they refer to that as "death of personality"

kind like on soap operas they go out for a pack of cigarettes and nobody sees them for 20 years
              Didn't little Bobby go up to the attic for a pair of ski and was never heard from again? Jack got swallowed up by a great black hole of TPTB's indifference.
              They either didn't know or just don't care that some of us really, really care. Ignoring Jack O'Neill still leaves a gaping hole in Stargate that Landry, Mitchell, Lam and Vala cannot fill.
              sigpic
              Distinguished Service Ribbon Goa'uld Campaign
              My Stories zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Artwork by Mala

Comment

It's very strange. TPTB also do not mention Janet Cassie and Jacob. I would be surprised if RDA owned the Jack characters name. Why would TPTB want to run away from such important characters that played a big part in the success of the show? Seasons 1-8 were nothing to be ashamed of IMO. I would love to be able to ask TPTB.

Comment

because they want us to forget. they really wanted to end it season 8 and become something different-but the best laid plans of mice and men...

they were stuck-no doubt in my mind-but one would think that would be able to come up with a more creative way to continue the show then to lose it totally in season 9 and then continue the idiocy in season 10.

frankly i believe the fans of this show are extremely forgiving and if they came out at the end of season 9 and said ooops-did we ever tell you what our favorite season of Dallas was? well-good-because we're pretending 9 never happened and are starting from scratch and they would have gotten away with it.
                  Franklin said, "They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

Comment

I think a lack of mentioning character like Jack Janet Jacob and Cassie has really turned off many season 1-8 SG-1 Fans. Mnay shows do a good job in mentioning old characters from time to time. I remember Mash was very good in mentioning old characters. It very strange wehn RDA appears on the Show and the Jack character has not be mentioned. It like where has Jack been?

Comment

Pittsburghgirl I think TPTB can use a marketing 101 class. I thought the idea was to try to reach as many fans as possible and not turn off long time fans?

Comment

because they want us to forget. they really wanted to end it season 8 and become something different-but the best laid plans of mice and men...

they were stuck-no doubt in my mind-but one would think that would be able to come up with a more creative way to continue the show then to lose it totally in season 9 and then continue the idiocy in season 10.

frankly i believe the fans of this show are extremely forgiving and if they came out at the end of season 9 and said ooops-did we ever tell you what our favorite season of Dallas was? well-good-because we're pretending 9 never happened and are starting from scratch and they would have gotten away with it.
                        I was so looking forward to seeing Jack O'Neill in the shower talking about a weird dream he had.
                        sigpic
                        My Stories zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Artwork by Mala

Comment

I agree. S9 was the start of the new direction for them – with *their* new members of SG-1, the new enemy. Maybe they felt "Stargate Command" would attract many more new viewers what with all the cool new characters and such. Mentioning past characters occasionally would serve no purpose really, in their minds, IMO.

The long-time viewers didn't have to be catered to is what I think they thought. Sam fans, Daniel fans, Teal'c fans would all just stick around and watch the show because they loved those characters. Any Jack fans that left when RDA left would be offset by new Mitchell fans. Any S/J fans that might have left would be offset by all the new D/V fans. Thor didn't need to be there because he was too connected to Jack, as was Maybourne. Make Ba'al clones all over the place and never have the 3 characters seem to have any intense hatred for him because of what he did to Jack - just make Ba'al into this well-dressed guy with a cool accent and have him be a minor annoyance at best. Cliff Simon is good-looking, with a great body – that will keep the females happy.

And I think the PTB, as well as a certain percentage of fans (as evidenced by their posts) thought they succeeded very nicely, thank you, with S9 and S10. The lower ratings and the cancellation had everything to do with magnets and other external events as opposed to the writing.

Sadly, I think Jack's part in the second movie will be probably no more than 3-4 minutes. Jack, Janet, Hammond, Thor are all the past....who needs them?

Comment

Pittsburghgirl I think TPTB can use a marketing 101 class. I thought the idea was to try to reach as many fans as possible and not turn off long time fans?
                            Reminds me of the Girl Scout song - make new friends but keep the old, one is silver and the other is gold.
                            TPTB dumped the gold and went for lead.
                            sigpic

Comment

one would think so. in any case I am still trying to figure out why this show appears to go out of its way to alienate the long time fans and confuse the new ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Zoser View Post
                                I was so looking forward to seeing Jack O'Neill in the shower talking about a weird dream he had.
                                with or without the towel?

Comment

Working...
                                X