No announcement yet.

S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, I'm thinking the sexy costume had way more to do with getting "teh bestest demographic" and less to do with being historically accurate. :|

Comment

hey, they already tossed history out the window by having the 10,000 year old ancients tied to a myth that's only 1000 years old

Nothing will get in the way of thier Fun (ie boobs, butts and bombs)
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
        Nothing will get in the way of thier Fun (ie boobs, butts and bombs)
        Except for a Network Excecutive.
        Signed,

Gregorius
        Gateworld Forum Troublemaker Extraordinaire.

sigpic

Support the (r)Evolution: Gregorius for Moderator.
        Gregorius, because clowning about is his raison d'être.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregorius View Post
          Except for a Network Excecutive.
          The opportunity for that to happen has come and gone many times. Evidently this is one of those few times in history where the network and those at the studio are on the same page.

Comment

unfortunately, they seem to share the prediliction for all things tawdry and cheap.

remember that Anise was courtesy of a network executive who knew just what the show needed!!!!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz View Post
              The opportunity for that to happen has come and gone many times. Evidently this is one of those few times in history where the network and those at the studio are on the same page.
              I think you mean "In the same bed, in the same hotel payed for by milking a franchise to death".
              Signed,

Gregorius

sigpic

Comment

unfortunately, they seem to share the prediliction for all things tawdry and cheap.
                Each other?

remember that Anise was courtesy of a network executive who knew just what the show he needed!!!!
                I correct it
                Signed,

Gregorius

sigpic

Comment

I think you mean "In the same bed, in the same hotel payed for by milking a franchise to death".
                  lol. The infamous B@B like their jobs. I'd imagine they like having jobs. If milking a franchise to death doesn't affect job security on their end, I believe it's quite advantageous for them to do whatever they want.

Seriously though, I know it's not an easy business to just jump back into after being with Stargate for so long. And I'm sure they really do like writing for the franchise. AND I'm sure that they'd do well to hire the same people with whom they've worked for years. But yeah, I think they and the network did a bang up job of screwing over the original series in oh-so-many ways. (ETA: Whether intentionally, or not)
                  Last edited by the dancer of spaz; 15 December 2006, 08:22 AM.

Comment

Anyway, I think we're in agreement on the fact that TPTB made a huge mistake by basing origin on medieval Christinanity and not explaining the choices they made for Adria clearly.
                    Not only that, it would also have resulted in protesting and lawsuits, sidenote question: Why does it seem like people don't take responsibility for their actions in the US?, in the current US political and social climate where the loudmouth, which in general are those people we see on TV here in Europe, consensus seems to be "You will not mock Christianity and you will obay our rules. If you fail to comply to this we'll sue and protest your arses by yelling "Think of the Children" and other populair credos until you bend to our will."
                    I'll probably get flamed for this, but I'd thought that Origin was based more on another religion ... I will put it here in tags because I don't want to get in trouble or anything...
                    Spoiler:
                    radical Islam, with the whole "join us or die" mentality
                    . And while I have seem some people here in the US vocal about not mocking Christianity, I am starting to see more people from this other religion making noise about their religion being mocked ... and I believe we've seen it in Europe earlier this year as well.

But getting back to the original topic (yes, I admit to avoid flames ) I've never really been enthralled in the Ori.

Comment

but the juxtaposition of medieval - where folks covered up every part of their body - and adria's assets hanging out just doesn't jive. Especially with the overuse of the Medieval Village set and the puritanical mindset it implies, in 'reality' adria would be disbelieved and bashed because of her dress. If she really wante to appeal to the 'true' medieval mindset, she'd dress nicely but demurely, probably in white, the color of purity. A flowing white gown, playing into the image of angels and try to subvert a bit of christianity into her Ori
                      I think they're depicting a Medieval society with a Reformation-Puritanical religion, whose people (especially women) wear Renaissance(Fair)-styled gowns.

Those low cut gowns Vala was wearing on the Ori planet in season 9 weren't medieval. They looked like the Hollywood vision of what Venetian peasants wore when the Doges were in power.

And all I can say is "Huh?"

The mindsets associated with Medieval / Reformation-Puritanical / Renaissance together do not go.

Comment

Originally posted by GeekingOnward View Post
                        I think they're depicting a Medieval society with a Reformation-Puritanical religion, whose people (especially women) wear Renaissance(Fair)-styled gowns.

Those low cut gowns Vala was wearing on the Ori planet in season 9 weren't medieval. They looked like the Hollywood vision of what Venetian peasants wore when the Doges were in power.

And all I can say is "Huh?"

The mindsets associated with Medieval / Reformation-Puritanical / Renaissance together do not go.
                        Oh, honestly, they obviously don't give a rat's behind about historical accuracy... they haven't put much serious thought into what they've done the past two seasons. They go for the laugh, the cheap joke, and clearly don't think things through. Dragging a science fiction show into the cheap cliche that is all things King Arthur and Merlin in Hollywood's fantasy was such a terrible idea. I seriously have difficulty understanding why they did it. I can only imagine the conversation went something like this:
                        [sarcasm]
                        "Wouldn't it be cool if we did a King Arthur/Merlin arc?"

"Oh, yeah, man, that would be great! We could have Cam pull the sword from the stone to show everyone that he's a great hero!"

"That would rock! Then maybe he could fight a black knight so everyone could see how great and good he is!"

"And Merlin could be an ancient so Daniel has something to do!"

"And there has to be a dragon! You know, they've got to fight a dragon!"

"Yeah, that would be SO COOL!"
                        [/sarcasm]

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by JessM View Post
                          I'll probably get flamed for this, but I'd thought that Origin was based more on another religion ... I will put it here in tags because I don't want to get in trouble or anything...
                          Spoiler:
                          radical Islam, with the whole "join us or die" mentality
                          . And while I have seem some people here in the US vocal about not mocking Christianity, I am starting to see more people from this other religion making noise about their religion being mocked ... and I believe we've seen it in Europe earlier this year as well.
                          The actions of the violent radical Islam, actions most Muslims are against, are nothing compared to the little stunts this religion called Christianity pulled in it's existance. The actions of the Ori are more like the crusades than they are what radical Muslims are doing and their mentality is very simulair to the mentality the Christians had in the medievals and some groups even have now.

As for the Muslims and their protesting against their religion being mocked, please note that most of this is comming from the countries where the Islam is dominant and where there are internal conflicts and conflicts in the regions near those countries. Afterall, nothing unifies and makes people forget, be it temporary, about their differences than their religion being "attacked".
                          Signed,

Gregorius

sigpic

Comment

guys, let's not get into a religious debate here.

sigpic

Comment

That being said, most people, if not all, in this thread know that the reason they made Adria like that, played by a very attractive actress, is to target the main demographic which usually is a white male in the 15 ~ 25 age group, with a subdemographic of the "nerd" class.
                              I disagree with this premise. A 15-24 year old male doesn't have to stay home on Friday night to see a sexily dressed woman. With the way their female counterparts dress these days, all they have to do is go to school or work or hang out at the mall.

If they are stuck at home, there are more sexily dressed females on other channels than there are on Stargate, even with Adria and Vala.

I think the demographic this appeals to is a Man over 40, who's been married for years and doesn't have the lifestyle options that the young guys have.

It also, frankly, appeals to women who devour magazines like Us and In Style to check out what shoes the stars are wearing. More women than men watch the Victoria Secrets Fashion Show. And the men who watch tend to be over 35, not under 35. Don't delude yourselves into thinking that men lose interest in looking at hot babes after they turn 25.

Comment

That just doesn't track, though. They have a history of ignoring how many females, of ALL ages, watch their shows.

The male, 15-24 (34?) demographic is the only one they've targeted for a loooong time. Adria's wardrobe isn't new, because they have the wardrobes from (S7) Carter, (S1-3) Teyla, (S9) Vala and (S3) Weir. With the exception of Vala and Teyla at times, I don't think it's been nearly as provocative as Adria's, however the constant "explosions! > plot and space!battles > plot" mentality kinda lends credence to the theory that, despite the figures and the facts, they are VERY intent on focusing on that demographic of viewers.
                                Last edited by the dancer of spaz; 15 December 2006, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X