S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zoser
    Or at least a"WTF are you doing here?" at the stake out. I would have like to see her show some spine instead of desparation.
    TPTB did so much damage to Sam's character in S7 and S8. I wished they had left the personal stuff out of it.
    Odo's last wishes: cremate me, put me in my bucket, then shoot me through the wormhole.

Rogue

Comment

i wouldn't have minded the personal stuff, had the boys had more skill writing it

but since they have a near total lack of finesse - and a seeming unwillingness to listen to the actress' advide on the character she'd played fo ryears, the relationship stuff was, imho, poorly handled
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
        i wouldn't have minded the personal stuff, had the boys had more skill writing it

but since they have a near total lack of finesse - and a seeming unwillingness to listen to the actress' advide on the character she'd played fo ryears, the relationship stuff was, imho, poorly handled
        Like most things on that show they only listened when it suited them. And AT was right-the fans went bonzo over Chimera and Affinity-and Coop promised her it would work out all right-yeah sure, when pigs become kosher and fly it would be all right. They wanted Carter to be "the girl"-there is no other explanation for the mess they made of her character. It amazed me that she re-signed on for yet another season.
        Franklin said, "They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

"Do or do not. There is no try." Yoda

Comment

Originally posted by pittsburghgirl
          It amazed me that she re-signed on for yet another season.
          And then she/her character got screwed over even worse (in S9).

Comment

Originally posted by pittsburghgirl
            Like most things on that show they only listened when it suited them. And AT was right-the fans went bonzo over Chimera and Affinity-and Coop promised her it would work out all right-yeah sure, when pigs become kosher and fly it would be all right. They wanted Carter to be "the girl"-there is no other explanation for the mess they made of her character. It amazed me that she re-signed on for yet another season.
            Pretty much tells us what they think of women.
            Odo's last wishes: cremate me, put me in my bucket, then shoot me through the wormhole.

Rogue

Comment

What really bothers me is when these guys sacrifice a character for the sake of a plot. Poor Sam, has done more than her share for the sake of a storyline.

Rogue

Comment

Folks, just because we hated anti's have more respect for others and don't go into thier threads i guess doesn't mean that we can rant in peace. And have our ONE little thread out of the hundreds and hundreds of pro ones.

And to the pros that are ranting and hating us so much, what is worse? us ranting here in 'private' or us dragging all the fun out of it in the general threads?????

NO one is capable of making anything everyone likes. It's impossible

So to the pros that don't like the topic of this thread, stay out of it. and to the members of this thread that read and respond to the trolls...please don't. You just give us more to delete.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rogue
                  Pretty much tells us what they think of women.
                  that is probably the most distressing thing about it. do they really see women this way? as little more than a cliche? Do they really think that a woman is incapable of existing withiout a man? or as a single entity and a force of her own?

must every woman be linked to a male?

are they following unconscious gender bias thoughts or is this a conscious thought of thiers?

and i don't know which is worse. that the gender bias is so engrained that people can't see it (if cam, teh white boy, had replaced Samuel, a man of color who'd left, would people have tolerated the unexperienced white male supplanting the more experienced man of color???) or do they honestly and truthfully feel that women are subordinate to men and less of a person???

sigpic

Comment

that is probably the most distressing thing about it. do they really see women this way? as little more than a cliche? Do they really think that a woman is incapable of existing withiout a man? or as a single entity and a force of her own?

must every woman be linked to a male?

are they following unconscious gender bias thoughts or is this a conscious thought of thiers?

and i don't know which is worse. that the gender bias is so engrained that people can't see it (if cam, teh white boy, had replaced Samuel, a man of color who'd left, would people have tolerated the unexperienced white male supplanting the more experienced man of color???) or do they honestly and truthfully feel that women are subordinate to men and less of a person???
                    Compared to other Sci-fi shows, I thought they did a fairly good job with the woman at the SGC until the middle of S7. I thought both Sam and Janet were written as strong, smart, independent women. It wasn't until they decide to kill off Janet and dwell into Sams personal life did the writing of women take a nose dive. Whether this is how they really view women or this is how they think their target audience views women, they are way off the mark.

Rogue

Comment

Originally Posted by Skydiver

It seems to me, that in some circles, that a white male who replaces a white female, it's deemed accecptable. And not really talked about.

But I also think that more people would be outraged if, the person that Cam (the white male), if he had replaced Sam a woman of color. It's seen to be more racist and sexist if Sam the character and the person who plays her is replaced by TPTB.

In my opinion it's more of an affront to those who have watched for years and to the cast as well.

Comment

Compared to other Sci-fi shows, I thought they did a fairly good job with the woman at the SGC until the middle of S7. I thought both Sam and Janet were written as strong, smart, independent women. It wasn't until they decide to kill off Janet and dwell into Sams personal life did the writing of women take a nose dive. Whether this is how they really view women or this is how they think their target audience views women, they are way off the mark.
                        I just wonder what BW thought about this, after all Sam was his character and as soon as Coop took over, she started to go downhill
                        sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

One of the many now gone shining examples of why this show was better then most other scifi shows. Now it IS exactly the same as most other scifi shows. In fact it is worse then some of the shows it used to be better then.
                          Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by Zoser
                            And then I wouldn't be ashamed to admit that Stargate is my addiction. This admission is always qualified with "I mean only classic Stargate" or "only Season 1-8"
                            I do that too. Wouldn't want anyone to think that I actually liked Season Nine. It's not something I would recommend to a friend.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX
                              I do that too. Wouldn't want anyone to think that I actually liked Season Nine. It's not something I would recommend to a friend.
                              Count me in as someone who feels the need to now qualify my Stargate love. And it is stinky that I have to do so..... but not as stinky as the show now is.

EDIT: Not sure why I am stuck on the word stinky today. Yesterday it was freaking. Everything had a freaking in front of it. Maybe its this stinky football game I am watching. Maybe I just need a vacation.
                              Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan
                                Count me in as someone who feels the need to now qualify my Stargate love. And it is stinky that I have to do so..... but not as stinky as the show now is.

EDIT: Not sure why I am stuck on the word stinky today. Yesterday it was freaking. Everything had a freaking in front of it. Maybe its this stinky football game I am watching. Maybe I just need a vacation.
                                I too must not be confused with those who like S9 and S10, I am a Classic SG1 fan! And I'm proud of it

Oh and as for the stinky problem, maybe it has something to do with what wafted in here earlier
                                sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Working...
                                X