S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AGateFan View Post
    The worst thing for the Stargate franchise is another series at this point. They need to back off, give it a few years and let someone who actually likes the show (unlike RCC... well I guess he likes his "new" version) take the reigns. IMHO.
    It really feels like "milk it dry" to me. And I cringe when they talk about "the franchise." Very business oriented rather than creative. I guess producers think that way, but *someone* should have some joy in the creativity. RCC seems to think he's above SF.

Comment

Maybe we'll get lucky and starting from scratch solves inconsistencies like continuity errors and character inconsistencies.

Then again, frat boy humor?

I'm not holding my breath.
      sigpic

In memory of Deejay.
      May we all be so well loved.

Comment

then let him go work with ben stiller or steve carrell on thier slapstick stuff and leave the scifi to those that respect it
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by smurf View Post
          Suddenly I'm a considerably less interested, because, from this one photograph, TPTB have now given me a whole lot more information about the show than the fascinating two line synopsis did.
          Surely no-one trusts the synopsis?

Generic ideals are great to help make a successful show (although it is no guarantee), but the devil is in the detail, and you can turn people on and off a show by these added extras.
          D'accord.

I'll write a better response to the other points when I'm more awake.
          Signed,

Gregorius
          Gateworld Forum Troublemaker Extraordinaire.

sigpic

Support the (r)Evolution: Gregorius for Moderator.
          Gregorius, because clowning about is his raison d'être.

Comment

Too bad about Universe....that it exist at all I mean. The worst thing for the Stargate franchise is another series at this point. They need to back off, give it a few years and let someone who actually likes the show (unlike RCC... well I guess he likes his "new" version) take the reigns. IMHO.
            Stargate has become the Star Trek of the 00s. It's been stuck the with same staff for too long and now it's degrading in quality with each season.

RCC & Co. are the new Berman and Braga.
            Signed,

Gregorius
            Gateworld Forum Troublemaker Extraordinaire.

sigpic

Support the (r)Evolution: Gregorius for Moderator.
            Gregorius, because clowning about is his raison d'être.

Comment

the only way i see universe having a real chance is if there's all new cast and crew. new producers, new writers, new actors

totally separate it.

keep on the same tired path, and you'll keep seeing the same tired and boring sites

sigpic

Comment

I stopped reading when William Shatner wrote some books and had Captin Kirk beating the crp out of Klingons with his bare hands....yeah, no Mary Sue there eh Bill? Anyway I seem to remember the book ending in a cliffhanger with some alternate evil Jean Luc Picard (or maybe that was another book) and never got the sequel....... Q squared was funny though..... oh and of course the classic X-men\Startrek Crossovers. :0....

You know, I would read any of them again before I would watch S9-S10 of Stargate SG-1. Nothing has ever dissappointed me so much. I have never read a stargate book, for some reason it occurred to me it would be harder for the authors to get the "voices" right (harder then Star Trek or Star Wars or Aliens vs Predator..which was better then the movie BTW)... I dont know why I think this since there is some really good fanfic out there, but I do and now that the authors have S9-S10 crp on their minds, there is really no reason to read anything Stargate related.

Too bad about Universe....that it exist at all I mean. The worst thing for the Stargate franchise is another series at this point. They need to back off, give it a few years and let someone who actually likes the show (unlike RCC... well I guess he likes his "new" version) take the reigns. IMHO.
                Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                the only way i see universe having a real chance is if there's all new cast and crew. new producers, new writers, new actors

totally separate it.

keep on the same tired path, and you'll keep seeing the same tired and boring sites
                I have an issue with the concept of SGU. Talk about a fan fic come to life...a ship with a gate...how original.

Then add in the current ptb running record and trends and I don't see any light at the end of that long, dark tunnel.
                Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

me neither. What i see happening for universe is a weekly 'mst3k' event...likely enjoyed with a tall cold glass of booze to help me accept the sheer silliness as we play count the cliche and debate which old episode they're reusing

sigpic

Comment

Too bad about Universe....that it exist at all I mean. The worst thing for the Stargate franchise is another series at this point.
                    Amen to that. What the heck are they thinking?

Comment

Originally posted by EnterTheWormhole View Post
                      Amen to that. What the heck are they thinking?
                      $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

milk it while ya got it.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gregorius View Post
                        Stargate has become the Star Trek of the 00s. It's been stuck the with same staff for too long and now it's degrading in quality with each season.

RCC & Co. are the new Berman and Braga.
                        Not sure why I didn't see this post earlier. Yes, yes and sadly yes.
                        Tilting windmills since... well... too long ago to remember...

sigpic

My portfolio and repository:
                        http://z13.invisionfree.com/Peregrine_Design/

Comment

it's not that they're focused on how wonderful of a job they're doing...it's that they refuse to accept it when folks say 'umm, not quite'

i'm all for being confident about your work. And you can't listen to every single nay-sayer. but then 2 years of steadily falling ratings and increasing fan complaints have to mean something...and something more than 'those dang fans that won't accept change'

at the end of the day, they paid the price for their own hubris.

sigpic

Comment

Erm, isn't it the same people working on Universe? The one with the potentially stupidly big budget and similarly dangerous premise? I'm not sure that's quite paying the price.

Perhaps eventually they will pay the piper, but I'd prefer they do so before sinking the franchise entirely.
                            Tilting windmills since... well... too long ago to remember...

sigpic

My portfolio and repository:
                            http://z13.invisionfree.com/Peregrine_Design/

Comment

it's not that they're focused on how wonderful of a job they're doing...it's that they refuse to accept it when folks say 'umm, not quite'

i'm all for being confident about your work. And you can't listen to every single nay-sayer. but then 2 years of steadily falling ratings and increasing fan complaints have to mean something...and something more than 'those dang fans that won't accept change'

Change in and of itself is not bad. They could have added new character to the team quite effectively. But what they did was a wholesale change in tone as well as characters. There was a reason the show worked for 8 years and they seemed to ignore that. If they were sick of the "formula" they should have looked for other work rather than changing the show to suit their personal needs.

Comment

Originally posted by Silverwings View Post
                                Erm, isn't it the same people working on Universe? The one with the potentially stupidly big budget and similarly dangerous premise? I'm not sure that's quite paying the price.

Perhaps eventually they will pay the piper, but I'd prefer they do so before sinking the franchise entirely.
                                I'm certainly not looking forward to the new show, seeing as what they done in the past. I'll give it a try, but I won't be 'loyal' to it and feel I have to watch it, if I don't like it.
                                sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Working...
                                X