No announcement yet.

S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

it'll be cam leading Vaniel while sam and teal'c do the coconuts...that's all they're good for anyway, filling in the scenery
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
      I've always had an issue with the king arthur stuff simply because it's sooooo picked aparat and done and redone and redone (does a year go by that SOMEONE doesn't make some sort of arthur movie????)
      There is that. If you can’t beat the standard it’s best to stay away.

Don’t get me going on the dragons okay? The roots of Dragons in European mythology are actually Norse.

My problem with them jumping in to the Arthurian legends with the whole Ancient angle is the time line doesn’t fit. The Arthurian legends are pretty modern in the scene of myths and legends. A lot of the elements of the Arthurian Legends were adopted from older Irish mythology too. They easily could have jumped back to the sun god Lugh, Cú Chulainn, and the Irish book of Invasions if they had wanted to which is MUCH older.

Of course if they actually jumped back to Irish mythology they’d have to deal with a rather predominate family in it with the surname “Niall” or “U’Niall” or “O’Neill”. And heaven forbid they even mention a name that might remind fans of a certain ornery General. Heck it might even fit continuity. Can’t have that.

Okay… I’m going to stop ranting now.
      Jack O’Neill: When it absolutely, positively, needs mocked, shot, or destroyed overnight!

Comment

Does anyone know what the pilot badge (Senior or Command Pilot) Mitchell wore on his dress blues in Avalon? Also the minimum age you can qualify as a USAF pilot?

I'm just trying to weigh up some "evidence" on Mitchell's qualifications.
        "I know, I know. It's a Russian thing. When we're about to do something stupid, we like to catalog the full extent of our stupidity for future reference."
        Commander Susan Ivanova

Sinclair : "No boom?"
        Garibaldi : "No boom."
        Ivanova : "No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow."
        Ivanova : "What? Look, someone's got to keep some damned perspective around here. One of these days... boom!"

Comment

Originally posted by RealmOfX
          Beware the killer bunnies!!
          All Hail Sir Boris! ;>

Who would be “Sir Robin” I wonder?
          Jack O’Neill: When it absolutely, positively, needs mocked, shot, or destroyed overnight!

Comment

Originally posted by SG-Lurker
            Does anyone know what the pilot badge (Senior or Command Pilot) Mitchell wore on his dress blues in Avalon? Also the minimum age you can qualify as a USAF pilot?

To be a pilot in the US Air Force you must have a 4 year college degree and completed flight school which is approximately 18 months if I remember correctly. There also might be some flight hour requirements in there too but I’m not sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogue
              Yeah, I am still waiting for Cam to battle the bunny rabbit.
              Wait, they haven't done the Easter bunny yet, have they?

Well Teal'c did mention it in Camelot, I think it was......

Thanks to Kidwizz for sig

Comment

My main beef with the Arthurian stuff (besides it having been done to death) is that it's just so well-known. There are so many other mythologies/gods out there that aren't, that most viewers would know very little about, that they could have explored, which could have been very interesting. Much more interesting than yet another Arthurian rerun. So I resent the Arthurian stuff because it was a wasted opportunity for TPTB to really explore something intriguing and new. (Personally, for one, I'd have loved to have seen more of Amaterasu and other Japanese gods. Or more Indian gods.)

Course, that would have meant spending more hours on research than renting out MP&THG and Dragonheart from the video store... And we all know how our boys are loathe to stir themselves to check out the facts these days.

Albion
                Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

Originally posted by SG-Lurker

LOL I see where you are going!!

If Mitchell is supposed to have been born in 1970/1 then there is no way he could have a Master Pilot Badge - I think it's 15years for one of those puppies.

So can anyone see a star and a wreath on his wings because I don't have a good enough copy to see it clearly.
                  -

Comment

Originally posted by Albion
                    My main beef with the Arthurian stuff (besides it having been done to death) is that it's just so well-known. There are so many other mythologies/gods out there that aren't, that most viewers would know very little about, that they could have explored, which could have been very interesting. Much more interesting than yet another Arthurian rerun. So I resent the Arthurian stuff because it was a wasted opportunity for TPTB to really explore something intriguing and new. (Personally, for one, I'd have loved to have seen more of Amaterasu and other Japanese gods. Or more Indian gods.)

Course, that would have meant spending more hours on research than renting out MP&THG and Dragonheart from the video store... And we all know how our boys are loathe to stir themselves to check out the facts these days.

Albion

I agree with all of the above, and more. I very much dislike the use of
                    Spoiler:
                    Merlin as an ancient. It sets off another search for a powerful weapon to destroy ETA: yet another much more powerful enemy.
                    Last edited by LaCroix; 21 September 2006, 09:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Crow T. Robot

Don’t get me going on the dragons okay? The roots of Dragons in European mythology are actually Norse.

My problem with them jumping in to the Arthurian legends with the whole Ancient angle is the time line doesn’t fit. The Arthurian legends are pretty modern in the scene of myths and legends. A lot of the elements of the Arthurian Legends were adopted from older Irish mythology too. They easily could have jumped back to the sun god Lugh, Cú Chulainn, and the Irish book of Invasions if they had wanted to which is MUCH older.

Of course if they actually jumped back to Irish mythology they’d have to deal with a rather predominate family in it with the surname “Niall” or “U’Niall” or “O’Neill”. And heaven forbid they even mention a name that might remind fans of a certain ornery General. Heck it might even fit continuity. Can’t have that.

Rant away - that would have really made it interesting.
                      I think the Arthurian legend was TPTB misjudging their audience again.
                      'Give them something they've heard of before, don't want to lose them.' they thought. Heaven forfend they should try something to stretch our minds
                      Cue the coconuts Friday is almost upon us!
                      sigpic
                      Distinguished Service Ribbon Goa'uld Campaign
                      My Stories zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Artwork by Mala

Comment

Originally posted by RealmOfX
                        If Mitchell is supposed to have been born in 1970/1 then there is no way he could have a Master Pilot Badge - I think it's 15years for one of those puppies.
                        Oh, RoX. RoX, RoX, Rox... how can you doubt the great and powerful Cameron Mitchell?! OF COURSE he has a Master Pilot Badge! And a Master Space/Missile Badge!

Go here for a breakdown of all badges and medals: Courtesy of ExtraBadPenguin

Comment

Originally posted by Crow T. Robot

Thank you!
                          That's what's been bugging me, most of what the writers think is Arthurian myth is really, really recent, way too recent to fit in the Ancient's timeline.

The bulk of Arthurian myth is only recent, we're only talking 1000 years or less and lots of what they are using is much more recent than that, as in only 15c such as Mallory's Le Mort d'Arthur or Victorian romances or even later. I'd be unsurprised to discover that they would be cribbing from T H White, hell, I'd be unsurprised to find out that they were cribbing from Disney and Lerner and Loewe!
                          Python goes without saying (which isn't entirely bad, Holy Grail is not as inaccurate as Camelot or The Sword in the Stone, mostly luck rather than judgement but even so).

The Irish cycles or tales from the Mabinogi would have been much more interesting and much more in keeping with the myths they had used in previous seasons.

FF, who'd have been much more impressed with Lugh Longhand or Gwidion or Llew Llaw Gyffes (but beware of the owls)
                          sigpic

Comment

Okay, so I think I’m ready for Friday night’s The Quest (I hope)

Let’s see we will probably get :
                            Spoiler:

Which will cause
                            and the necessity for

Or quite possibly the only way to get through the show will be to leading to

Which means the likelihood of this being a good episode is as likely as
                            Spoiler:
                            sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by DEM
                              Oh, RoX. RoX, RoX, Rox... how can you doubt the great and powerful Cameron Mitchell?! OF COURSE he has a Master Pilot Badge! And a Master Space/Missile Badge!

Go here for a breakdown of all badges and medals: Courtesy of ExtraBadPenguin
                              Me? Doubt Lt Col Greenie?? Of course I bloody do!!

Thanks for the link - very interesting.

I wonder what they think he was supposed to have done to get ANY badge in Space/Missile - other than Sam had one so his had to be better

Hasn't anyone twigged to the fact that there are multiple clones of this guy running about in order to get the experience he is supposed to have and they really need to check for symbiotes?

I tell ya - he's a plant for the Trust courtesy of General Magwitch!!!!

So he's got at least 15 years as a pilot and he's got at least 15 years as whatever spacey stuff and he had a throw away line about Special Forces (which I took as a joke) in the cabin episode. Hmmm so he was flying combat sorties whilst launching missiles or satellites and crawling round the jungle/desert on top secret special missions and he started in kindergarten .......... No? And somewhere in there he qualified to fly multiple types of spacecraft as well.

Sheesh and they say there's no way that Sam is qualified to do what she does - at least she is a bonafide genius!!
                              Last edited by RealmOfX; 21 September 2006, 10:35 AM.
                              -

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
                                Okay, so I think I’m ready for Friday night’s The Quest (I hope)

<snip>

Which means the likelihood of this being a good episode is as likely as
                                Spoiler:
                                ROFL - tried ta green ya but couldn't, gotta spread some more around.

Hey, you really need to get those pink dudes flying backwards too
                                -

Comment

Working...
                                X