S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nolamom View Post
    I'm having trepiditions about this whole 20 year/ 40 year business...sounds like another insane writer's jaunt to totally screw up everything and leave no one happy...
    I'm open to it, if only because I've never been all that opposed to a sort of Stargate: Next Generation-esque series years from now (and I mean years).

But yes, you're right. This could end up very badly indeed.

As for what JessM heard, yeah...

Spoiler:
    I read somewhere that there was going to be a shippy moment between two fan favorites. I think they're fan favorites, but I don't think there are as many shipping for those two as the deluded PTB seem to think there are.

Comment

Originally posted by LaCroix View Post
      To me, if no RDA in DVD movies= no spending money on DVD's.
      I think it's a big mistake not to have him in the movies... I'd buy them if the other original three were in the film (or as long as AT was in it), but honestly... If they're going to repeat the lovely disaster of S9, then MGM can go right ahead and eat that loss.

Also, I can't help but wonder if they're hoping to have more room in the budget for special effects if RDA isn't on board. Brilliant plan, eh? That old addage, "All flash, no substance" is coming across really strong.

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz View Post
        I think it's a big mistake not to have him in the movies... I'd buy them if the other original three were in the film (or as long as AT was in it), but honestly... If they're going to repeat the lovely disaster of S9, then MGM can go right ahead and eat that loss.

Also, I can't help but wonder if they're hoping to have more room in the budget for special effects if RDA isn't on board. Brilliant plan, eh? That old addage, "All flash, no substance" is coming across really strong.

My problem with this is, I think that MGM if they want to have RDA in the movies, then they may have to have accept Michael Greenburg back in the mix. I'm sure that RDA would want to finish the series/show with his friend and buisness partner.

In my opinion, this would effect the bottom line for MGM in respect to their profits. As they would have to share them, if Gekko is noted in the credits as producers. This may also affect script quality as well. The old
        Why? room wouldn't be there.

But in season 9 and 10, the Why? room has been collecting unemployment benifits.

Comment

But in season 9 and 10, the Why? room has been collecting unemployment benifits.
          Doesn't it still get royalties from the other episodes in syndication though?

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz View Post
            I'm open to it, if only because I've never been all that opposed to a sort of Stargate: Next Generation-esque series years from now (and I mean years).

But yes, you're right. This could end up very badly indeed.

As for what JessM heard, yeah...

Spoiler:
            I read somewhere that there was going to be a shippy moment between two fan favorites. I think they're fan favorites, but I don't think there are as many shipping for those two as the deluded PTB seem to think there are.
            They are fan favorites of the new (fewer) fans to the show. There are other fans with other favorites but tptb dont give a rats arse about us.
            Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan View Post
              They are fan favorites of the new (fewer) fans to the show. There are other fans with other favorites but tptb dont give a rats arse about us.
              Then I hope they don't mind us not giving a rats arse about buying their DVD's
              sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

I hope MGM understands it's better to share a very large profit than have a very little profit by keeping RDA and Gekko out.RDA and Gekko would give the Fans two great Movies.I think they proved they know what there doing.It's MGM's call.It does not sound like a tought decision to me.

Comment

Having to buy the DVD's is alot harder than the Fans just tunning in to SciFi.I think after what happened with Season 9 and 10 many Fans will be careful and want some positive details about the Movies before rushing out to get the Movies.I've never written to a how before but I'm really starting to think about it.Maybe if we let MGM know we want RDA or else we will not buy the DVD's or other MGM mercandise.
                  Last edited by ses110; 29 November 2006, 05:21 PM.

Comment

I put a post on the Family Ties ep thread but have to vent here since this is the anti-season 10 thread:

I have looked at the spoilers for this episode and very simply I cannot believe, or understand, why they are wasting one of their final episodes on this crap.

Ah well I guess I should not be surprised as most of S9 and S10 has fluctuated between crap and dreck, IMO, but all of it has been a disappointment to me. As for the DVDs - what a joke after the debacles that were and are S9-10 - there is no way I plan on spending a dime on what I truly believe will be trash especially with cooper at the helm. He and his cronies have done nothing to instill any sense of respect or faith (two things I used to have for TPTKSG-1 prior to S7 1/2 and lost completley in S9-10) so I feel relatively sure that won't change based on what I have heard about the DVDs, especially the first one which seems to be being monopolized by cooper. Not even TV movies - at least Farscape fans got their finale on TV where they could watch it for "free", well at least free since if you have cable you generally get skiffy with basic cable, and could just watch without having to literally pay out good money to watch trash - (not that I'm saying PW was trash - I didn't watch it as I stopped watching FS in S3 when, IMO, it went off the track). When I say trash I refer simply to this TV show that is impersonating SG-1 by using the name.

Comment

one other thing - it is truly amazing to me that they can get rid of characters on SGA as easily as throwing out the trash -
                      Spoiler:
                      ford and now beckett
                      but they refuse to get rid of mitchell. It isn't that hard just send him off on a piloting expedition to "save the world" - he flies off into the sunset, with vala as his navigator, and the real SG-1 is left to have their finale.

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc View Post
                        one other thing - it is truly amazing to me that they can get rid of characters on SGA as easily as throwing out the trash -
                        Spoiler:
                        ford and now beckett
                        but they refuse to get rid of mitchell. It isn't that hard just send him off on a piloting expedition to "save the world" - he flies off into the sunset, with vala as his navigator, and the real SG-1 is left to have their finale.
                        To get rid of Mitchell, they'd have to admit - to themselves, at least - that he had been a failure and that they had made a lot of mistakes with his introduction.

I doubt we'll see that happen any time soon.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

My problem with this is, I think that MGM if they want to have RDA in the movies, then they may have to have accept Michael Greenburg back in the mix. I'm sure that RDA would want to finish the series/show with his friend and buisness partner.

In my opinion, this would effect the bottom line for MGM in respect to their profits. As they would have to share them, if Gekko is noted in the credits as producers. This may also affect script quality as well. The old
                          Why? room wouldn't be there.

Isn't Greenburg doing CSI? Why would he go to a cable show after being on network? (Unless it films over CSI's hiatus.)

I seem to remember reading (here?) that RDA referred to Greenberg as his ex-business partner. Perhaps Gekko has been dissolved?

I firmly believe TPTB need Gekko to make decent movies.

Suse
                          sigpic
                          Mourning Sanctuary.
                          Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by ses110 View Post
                            I hope MGM understands it's better to share a very large profit than have a very little profit by keeping RDA and Gekko out.RDA and Gekko would give the Fans two great Movies.I think they proved they know what there doing.It's MGM's call.It does not sound like a tought decision to me.
                            I agree. I will likely NOT buy these two movies if they are just gonna go on and on with what they have given us in S9/10. If they have RDA and Gekko back, I could at least expect some more positives about them, they did great with the show so I would like to think they could do a good job with the two movies. I wonder if MGM only wants to sell copies to those who enjoy S9/10 or to both those and the older fans that have given up on the show?

I'm still not sure if I will buy S9/10 on DVD, the only reason I'm still unsure is because AT is still in it. I only still watch the show because of her and well I like to stay positive in my fantasy world that it will get better . Don't like the plot and the characters all that much anymore...new or old. It will be the same with the movies. With AT moving to SGA, I'm not even sure if she will be in both, or any of the movies. They were after all willing to ship her of before for stupid reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc View Post
                              I put a post on the Family Ties ep thread but have to vent here since this is the anti-season 10 thread:

I have looked at the spoilers for this episode and very simply I cannot believe, or understand, why they are wasting one of their final episodes on this crap.

Ah well I guess I should not be surprised as most of S9 and S10 has fluctuated between crap and dreck, IMO, but all of it has been a disappointment to me. As for the DVDs - what a joke after the debacles that were and are S9-10 - there is no way I plan on spending a dime on what I truly believe will be trash especially with cooper at the helm. He and his cronies have done nothing to instill any sense of respect or faith (two things I used to have for TPTKSG-1 prior to S7 1/2 and lost completley in S9-10) so I feel relatively sure that won't change based on what I have heard about the DVDs, especially the first one which seems to be being monopolized by cooper. Not even TV movies - at least Farscape fans got their finale on TV where they could watch it for "free", well at least free since if you have cable you generally get skiffy with basic cable, and could just watch without having to literally pay out good money to watch trash - (not that I'm saying PW was trash - I didn't watch it as I stopped watching FS in S3 when, IMO, it went off the track). When I say trash I refer simply to this TV show that is impersonating SG-1 by using the name.
                              IMHO FS S4 was mostly trash and PKW really didn’t do anything to improve my opinion as I cringed most of the way through it. I don’t expect the Stargate movies to be any better. In fact I expect them to be worse since I will be watching bizzaro versions of the characters and props (at least I hope the Stargate is actually in the movies) that I once adored.

Direct to DVD to me means it’s not good enough to be an actual movie and it’s not good enough to be on TV. Of course it’s not made yet but it appears MGM is aware of issues with the show and so decided to go this route.

Just think. All these fans that couldn’t tune in because the show was moved to 9PM on Friday and they couldn’t find it, now they have to figure out how to actually leave their houses and go buy it. How is that going to work? Especially with Traffic getting in their way, and not all stores having it and I cant believe MGM will waste too much money advertising it. All that added with the finger they are giving to the old fans does not seem to bode well for the DVDs.

Awe too bad (not). I would rather see the show just go away as opposed to the continual mangling of this once great show into the point and laugh B grade sci-fi that everyone makes fun of. BTW TPTB, I know you like comedies and all. But really, when people are laughing AT your show not WITH your show....that’s a bad thing. Hey you know what though, I wouldnt mind your habit of continually ripping off other shows if you go ahead and rip off PKW and kill off one of the major characters for your "dramatics".... Hey make sure to make it a BIG dramatic scene by making the death a "fan favorite" or the main "star". Then maybe us fans of those "boreing" old stargate characters can have a little peace and hope for the future.
                              Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
                                You would think that TPTB would have learned their lesson on what drove viewers away. And now that they are setting the grounds for the movie, you would think they would take that into account...You would think that they were able to think

Obviously not, if we are going to be getting the same crap from S9 and 10 It's time to wake up, if you want the movies to do well, IMPROVE on what you did WRONG in the first place!

Oy there is no hope for the future of SG1
                                Yep - they just continue on the ol' downward spiral.

The show is definitely going out on a whimper. Luckily I'm not too emotionally invested in it anymore, so it doesn't bother me all that much...

Comment

Working...
                                X