S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AGateFan
    Many never watched the show before CB. So from their perspective Sam was replacing Vala.

Many admit that they dislike the show prior to S9 and then they call us stupid and not "true fans" for not liking S9. But if the show had to CHANGE to make them like it then it makes since that I would not like it.

If they disliked previous seasons and now like S9 then obviously it has changed enough for that to occur. If it changed enough for someone that didnt like the show to start liking it then obviously it changed enough for those that did like the show to stop liking it.
    Wow! Such logical reasoning. Too bad it's lost on the ones who need to see it the most.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan
      Many never watched the show before CB. So from their perspective Sam was replacing Vala.

Many admit that they dislike the show prior to S9 and then they call us stupid and not "true fans" for not liking S9. But if the show had to CHANGE to make them like it then it makes since that I would not like it.

If they disliked previous seasons and now like S9 then obviously it has changed enough for that to occur. If it changed enough for someone that didnt like the show to start liking it then obviously it changed enough for those that did like the show to stop liking it.
      I wonder what would happen if, hypothetically speaking, Sci-Fi contacted TPTB tomorrow morning and told them that they were prepared to give them a chance for another season but only if they get rid of Vala and Mitchell.

Would these people continue to be "true fans" and support the show or would they find themselves unable to accept change?

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by KatG
        Wow! Such logical reasoning. Too bad it's lost on the ones who need to see it the most.
        Sort of like talking to walls with some of the "new" fans.

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX
          I wonder what would happen if, hypothetically speaking, Sci-Fi contacted TPTB tomorrow morning and told them that they were prepared to give them a chance for another season but only if they get rid of Vala and Mitchell.

Would these people continue to be "true fans" and support the show or would they find themselves unable to accept change?
          My guess is that the show would lose those people who claim to be "true fans" but the good news is the ratings would go up when all of those "untrue" fans who are not lemmings returned to watch Stargate SG-when mitchell and vala disappear and the writers actually write SG-1 the way it should be -- a unique, intelligent, tightly-written, sci-fi show WITHOUT cliches and caricatures.

Comment

Why of course they would be able to accept the change, they would change the channel
            sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc
              My guess is that the show would lose those people who claim to be "true fans" but the good news is the ratings would go up when all of those "untrue" fans who are not lemmings returned to watch Stargate SG-when mitchell and vala disappear and the writers actually write SG-1 the way it should be -- a unique, intelligent, tightly-written, sci-fi show WITHOUT cliches and caricatures.
              I wonder there's an alternate reality where Mitchell and Vala were never introduced or came on board as Major Mitchell and Prometheus Unbound Vala - their "Stargate: SG-1" will probably still be going strong in Season Fifteen.

Comment

I wonder there's an alternate reality where Mitchell and Vala were never introduced or came on board as Major Mitchell and Prometheus Unbound Vala - their "Stargate: SG-1" will probably still be going strong in Season Fifteen.
                Personally, and speaking from nothing but my own opinion, I have no doubt that if mitchell and vala had been left on the cutting room floor where they belong the original, real Stargate SG-1 would continue to roll-on to S11 -- and I would be willing to bet $$ on it. Alas since TPTKTS saw fit to ruin a unique, intelligent show (that ran for 181 episodes) with illogical and unbeliveable changes and the addition of sci-fi genre caricatures and cliches (which are a dime a dozen in many other sci-fi shows and movies) we will never know since they got cancelled 25 episodes into the new cliches and caricatures.

Comment

Personally, and speaking from nothing but my own opinion, I have no doubt that if mitchell and vala had been left on the cutting room floor where they belong the original, real Stargate SG-1 would continue to roll-on to S11 -- and I would be willing to bet $$ on it. Alas since TPTKTS saw fit to ruin a unique, intelligent show (that ran for 181 episodes) with illogical and unbeliveable changes and the addition of sci-fi genre caricatures and cliches (which are a dime a dozen in many other sci-fi shows and movies) we will never know since they got cancelled 25 episodes into the new cliches and caricatures.
                  At least it's not going to continue past Season Ten - I shudder to think what kind of damage TPTB would do with an extra twenty episodes to play with.

Comment

I think that they should have given up the cliche thing when Jack left. They had instances here and there when he would mention one or they would reuse ideas from other shows and movies. But it worked because of Jack. After he was gone they became extreamly obvious and weren't well delivered. Perhaps it was RDA's imput that enabled them to work well, who knows?

Comment

i would have enjoyed that

major mitchell, in command of the team, then, when sam comes back, has two choices....leave sg1 and be in command of his own team or take a step back, relinquish command to sam and stay on sg1 along with vala, the exposed - and not the way she was in s9 thank you very much - con artist who is rescued by sg1 and tosses her lot in with them becoming a very often recurring character would have livened things up a bit. there would have been conflict, not just between sam and cam but also with this woman, who stole promie and impersonated a goauld and then sides wiht the sgc...but can she be trusted??? (she'd be a wildcard instead of the joker)
                      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                        i would have enjoyed that

major mitchell, in command of the team, then, when sam comes back, has two choices....leave sg1 and be in command of his own team or take a step back, relinquish command to sam and stay on sg1 along with vala, the exposed - and not the way she was in s9 thank you very much - con artist who is rescued by sg1 and tosses her lot in with them becoming a very often recurring character would have livened things up a bit. there would have been conflict, not just between sam and cam but also with this woman, who stole promie and impersonated a goauld and then sides wiht the sgc...but can she be trusted??? (she'd be a wildcard instead of the joker)
                        Here's my scenario.

Mitchell, in one of his heroic attempts, dies for the sake of the humanity. Although still in grief at the loss of Lieutenant Colonel Mitchell, Sam takes over the command of SG-1. Soon, in one of the mission, it is revealed that Vala belongs to the same side with the Goa'uld/Ori. She tricks them into their enemy's trap but by some ingenious means, SG-1 manages to escape with much valuable knowledge about their unknown enemy. This turn of events evens the playing ground and breeds hope in the defeat of the enemies.

Comment

Originally posted by tsukasa14
                          Here's my scenario.

Mitchell, in one of his heroic attempts, dies for the sake of the humanity. Although still in grief at the loss of Lieutenant Colonel Mitchell, Sam takes over the command of SG-1. Soon, in one of the mission, it is revealed that Vala belongs to the same side with the Goa'uld/Ori. She tricks them into their enemy's trap but by some ingenious means, SG-1 manages to escape with much valuable knowledge about their unknown enemy. This turn of events evens the playing ground and breeds hope in the defeat of the enemies.
                          By "some ingenious means" you do not mean "beams out in the nick of time" do you? You actually mean some ingenious means like the olden days when they had to think of a way out... maybe steal a couple gliders (whatever ori's use) after dropping a couple of gernades into the heart of the ship.... oh wait we did that, and it was done so well the the first time I rather they come up with a NEW ingenious way of escaping....that doesnt involve beaming.
                          Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by tsukasa14
                            Here's my scenario.

interesting, but i don't want themkilled off. Killing off the inconvenient is the easy way out. keep the 'issues' around. let them be a point of conflict. because in conflict is interest

think of the interpersonal conflict of a man, who was the boss, having to step back to let the female take the lead...and both of them are 'right'. sam has the experience over all, but mitch has more with the ori. daniel and teal'c trust sam, but have also learned to trust cam. they sympathize with cam, but are glad to have sam back

there'd have been conflict and tension
                            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                              interesting, but i don't want themkilled off. Killing off the inconvenient is the easy way out. keep the 'issues' around. let them be a point of conflict. because in conflict is interest

think of the interpersonal conflict of a man, who was the boss, having to step back to let the female take the lead...and both of them are 'right'. sam has the experience over all, but mitch has more with the ori. daniel and teal'c trust sam, but have also learned to trust cam. they sympathize with cam, but are glad to have sam back

there'd have been conflict and tension
                              Unfortunately, its too late to do that. An interesting variation would be if Sam was promoted to full colonel and took command because she now outranked Mitchell.

Mitchell would have been in command of SG-1 - in name, if nothing else - for the best part of two years, only to lose that position. How would he, who has acknowledged that he cannot command any of the team, react if he saw that Daniel, Teal'c and even Vala were listening to Sam and heeding her instructions as they never did his, and showing far more confidence and trust in her as a leader?

Comment

Unfortunately, its too late to do that. An interesting variation would be if Sam was promoted to full colonel and took command because she now outranked Mitchell.

Mitchell would have been in command of SG-1 - in name, if nothing else - for the best part of two years, only to lose that position. How would he, who has acknowledged that he cannot command any of the team, react if he saw that Daniel, Teal'c and even Vala were listening to Sam and heeding her instructions as they never did his, and showing far more confidence and trust in her as a leader?
                                I remember in one of the episodes, he mentions that he leads no one having the same rank like Sam. Leaving the leadership to Sam is merely a further step to take and I'm sure a man like him can do it.

Comment

Working...
                                X