S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by suse
    Oops. We forgot one thing. Camelot is not an Ori village. So the 6 hour praying is out. Though so is the Ori help. Why the heck has Camelot stayed the same for thousands of years? What repression is in place? I can't see the Goa'uld there and leaving the technology of Merlin alone...

Suse
    It is strange. As you say, an occupying power like the Goa'uld would not leave Merlin's treasure and technology alone. Earth didn't progress much scientifically for the Dark Ages, but do the people in Camelot have an abhorence of science or have they simply chosen to preserve their way of life as it was when Arthur ruled and deliberately avoided change?

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

In regard to new episode info:
      Spoiler:

And now more stupid Arthurian stuff. The grail. The grail wasn't added to the Arthur story until later, so if those myths are based on the ancients, why were the intervening versions that didn't include details like the grail exist?

*sigh* But then again, they got me with the linguist pronouncing Myrddin like it was English...

Comment

I'm beginning to wonder if Sam and Teal'c are even in half the episodes of S10 for longer than a minute or two...

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
          I'm beginning to wonder if Sam and Teal'c are even in half the episodes of S10 for longer than a minute or two...
          It's starting to look bleak.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

it sure doesn't look like it does it???

and folks say i'm exaggerating when i call s10 'valagate'...well she's the only character frelling mentioned in the spoilers, what the heck are we supposed to think?????

all vala all the time and if you dare to like any other aspect of the show you can just go jump off a bridge, cause they don't seem to care
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
              it sure doesn't look like it does it???

and folks say i'm exaggerating when i call s10 'valagate'...well she's the only character frelling mentioned in the spoilers, what the heck are we supposed to think?????

all vala all the time and if you dare to like any other aspect of the show you can just go jump off a bridge, cause they don't seem to care
              I do think they care, you see they want the show to end and are doing everything to make sure their plan goes ahead.

Although they may have not thought ahead, because if they were banking on their new show Atlantis, then why did they switch back to SG1 on Mondays??
              Hmmm questions we may never know the answers to
              sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
                Although they may have not thought ahead, because if they were banking on their new show Atlantis, then why did they switch back to SG1 on Mondays??
                I don't think it performed well. There's talk on GW that its untimely demise on Mondays was ratings-related.

If Atlantis is suffering, and they're looking to get rid of their expensive mothership, I'm not quite sure what to think of this "third series/feature film" phenomenon they keep spouting. Something seems incredibly off.

If Atlantis leaves in two years (or whenever), the third incarnation of this better-than-ever series will be very interesting indeed.

Hey, look at it this way: At least by then the critics will have a legtimate reason to snub the franchise.

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
                  I've said it before and I will say it again. I have no freaking clue how they can take a great, long running TV show with much loved characters and completely dismiss them for some crappy, doomed to eternal cancellation, TV show.

Why Why Why Why WHY would you do that? Why? How the heck could they ruin this show... nay, the entire franchise in such a way? How can the same people who made the first 8 years (some say 5) so completely and utterly scrw up? Seriously, it boggles my mind. I have no comprehension of how this can be done except for getting all negative and saying it is human nature to destroy all things that are good.

All they had to do was replace one freaking character.... well it also would have helped if they hadnt gone on a killing spree the last few years.... dumazes. Un-freaking-believable.... unbeleiveable.... I have go go pound on my heavy bag now.... unbelievable........
                  Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan
                    I've said it before and I will say it again. I have no freaking clue how they can take a great, long running TV show with much loved characters and completely dismiss them for some crappy, doomed to eternal cancellation, TV show.

Why Why Why Why WHY would you do that? Why? How the heck could they ruin this show... nay, the entire franchise in such a way? How can the same people who made the first 8 years (some say 5) so completely and utterly scrw up? Seriously, it boggles my mind. I have no comprehension of how this can be done except for getting all negative and saying it is human nature to destroy all things that are good.
                    <snip>
                    Unfortunately I agree with that bolded part exactly.

I really think with Rick gone (I now think all the fans underestimate how much decision making he did behind the scenes) Sony and Sci Fi felt they had/could put their hands into the pot. Wright and Cooper just don't have enough Hollywood clout. Rick did. And W&C did not stand up to the suits. Plus I think Rick managed to soften some...excitable, boyish...tendencies the B@B (love that abbreviation SIMH!) have. Maybe I'm giving him too much credit. ::shrug::

Suse
                    sigpic
                    Mourning Sanctuary.
                    Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by suse
                      Unfortunately I agree with that bolded part exactly.

I really think with Rick gone (I now think all the fans underestimate how much decision making he did behind the scenes) Sony and Sci Fi felt they had/could put their hands into the pot. Wright and Cooper just don't have enough Hollywood clout. Rick did. And W&C did not stand up to the suits. Plus I think Rick managed to soften some...excitable, boyish...tendencies the B@B (love that abbreviation SIMH!) have. Maybe I'm giving him too much credit. ::shrug::

Suse
                      To be honest, I've worried about that too, but the season's performance speaks for itself. It's a complete 180 degree turnaround. We're talking about a completely different series - one that did not do as phenomenally as they'd imagined. And, whether it was RDA's input or simply his presence, it's obvious (to me anyway) that he helped in some regard.

On a note that's unrelated to RDA, the production staff has been stretched much too thin since Atlantis started. So it doesn't seem like it's mattered much WHO is on the show, because the SG-1 and Atlantis scripts in particular have been lacking so much. And Atlantis' shortcomings and SG-1's issues began before RDA left.

But I think it's very interesting how unified Bridge, MGM and Sci Fi are in terms of the future of the franchise, and their desire to bring/get RDA back. It was a pretty well-kept secret, but now that they've made it so clear that they want RDA involved again, that says a lot about how much he contributed to the series.

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan
                        Because for TV executives, a unique, ineffable appeal will never carry as much cache as an easily definable formula.
                        Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
                        - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

The ratings dropped a substantial amount when they switched from SG-1 reruns to Atlantis reruns. It was an amount that SciFi can't afford to tolerate for a sustained amount of time.

So, they switched back to the show that gets the higher rerun ratings.

Comment

Originally posted by MediaSavant
                            The ratings dropped a substantial amount when they switched from SG-1 reruns to Atlantis reruns. It was an amount that SciFi can't afford to tolerate for a sustained amount of time.

So, they switched back to the show that gets the higher rerun ratings.
                            I just wonder if the ratings for the s1-8 RERUNS are higher than the ratings for S9?
                            That would be sooo telling, but they wouldn't understand it anyway 2+2=7
                            sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

I just wonder if the ratings for the s1-8 RERUNS are higher than the ratings for S9?
                              That would be sooo telling, but they wouldn't understand it anyway 2+2=7
                              I dunno... Though it's interesting that Sci Fi has managed to maintain consistent ratings for their Stargate Monday block for the past, what, four years? That's pretty good.

You're about something not adding up, because it seems like Sci Fi eeking out Atlantis for some reason, yet they're giving us double helpings of Stargate SG-1 on Friday. But is it doing well in its bookend mode? It kinda seems like they're forcing it.

Comment

So when will Atlantis (or stargate SG-whatever) be shuffled off of Friday night in the typical timeslot shuffle before cancellation?

I expect if Eureka is any good at all then it will be moved to scifi friday. And if Dr Who did any good at all, they may want to keep that. Then you got that BSG spinnoff they probably want to put near its parent. So I can see Scifi Friday shaping up with (7) Dr who (8)Eureka (9) BSG2 (10) BSG.
                                Course BSG is premeiring later in the year (sad that stargate cant even stand competition on the same network) so maybe they will do a midseason break thing. Start with Dr who, Stargate, Atlantis, BSG rerun. Then Dr who, Stargate rerun, Ereka, BSG premier. Maybe see what gets the best ratings and Stargate and Atlantis get shuffled for the second half of the year.

Also what happened to the Starwars series, wasnt that supposed to be on scifi?

Odd that Eureka is premiering on a Monday. considering the aforementioned "consistancey" and the heavier network competition (aka football). Maybe they think that show actually can pull people away from shows like staking with the network washups..
                                Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Working...
                                X