S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ReganX
    Do you really think that, after reading reports of Cameron's antics since he joined the SGC, Jack would ever want to entrust his friends to his leadership?

Maybe he could tell him that what he should do is be really quiet and unobtrusive and never suggest a course of action unless they ask nicely, "so that they'll know what they're missing."
    Actually I think Jack would 'demote' Cam till he showed some leadership potential (never happen)
    What I meant was Jack didn't seem like the touchy feely counseling type - too impatient to stand much whining. A philosophy of 'If it needs to be done - do it.'
    sigpic
    Distinguished Service Ribbon Goa'uld Campaign
    My Stories zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Artwork by Mala

Comment

Originally posted by Zoser
      Actually I think Jack would 'demote' Cam till he showed some leadership potential (never happen)
      If only! Can that be done, by the way? From a military perspective, I mean.

Originally posted by Zoser
      What I meant was Jack didn't seem like the touchy feely counseling type - too impatient to stand much whining. A philosophy of 'If it needs to be done - do it.'
      You're right, I don't see Jack having much patience for Cameron's self-pity and he knows Sam, Daniel and Teal'c well enough to know that if there is a problem, it does not stem from them.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by prion
        It's very insulting to the female viewers, and I imagine that there are a lot of male viewers who aren't impressed either.

In Sam, TPTB created an amazing, intelligent, competent and resourceful character. I wonder whose bright idea it was to shove her into the background so they could ooh and aah over their shiny new Marty Stu and why they ever thought that the viewers would follow their example.

It's a pity they don't visit this thread, or the Anti-Season Nine one. I've seen good ideas on both.
        Well, as a female, I'm going to argue the point. The way Sam has been written, unfortunately, she is not the best leader. She bends too much to emotion (because this is how the male writers deal with emotions). She's hte person who goes "we can't leave him (teal'c) down there" when he's being tortured but Jack says they must. When it comes to science, she's decisive and brilliant, but when it comes to tactical maneuvers, the writers haven't given her the same polish.

Actually, the writers's Marty Stu (sic Sue) is actually Felger, didn't you know?? [/QUOTE]

One of the reasons I liked this show so much was the character of Carter - strong and intelligent. I have two daughters and find myself always judging female characters on TV - who are good models. Her personnal life these past few years have bothered me as well as the down play of her position of authority.
        sigpic
        Distinguished Service Ribbon Goa'uld Campaign
        My Stories zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Artwork by Mala

Comment

Originally posted by Formerhost
          Well, I guess less people are buying single volumes, especially that in previous years (up to season 8) they didn't include audio commentaries. They used to add them for the whole season boxset release. People probably are not aware that it has changed now and the commentaries are now included in single volumes (see my transcript of Avalon pts. 1 & 2 commentary in season 9 thread ) and they're waiting for the whole season 9 release.
          Between season 3/4 and 7 in the UK (R2) the single disks included commentaries, they just made a complete mess of the season 8 disks (later/replacement versions apparently included the S8 commentaries).
          The box sets are essentially the single disks collected together in a box.

It is more sensible to buy it as a boxset, but I suppose that says something about people's excitement for the product if they are prepared to wait. I know if I want something I always want it ASAP.

Comment

Originally posted by Formerhost
            Well, I guess less people are buying single volumes, especially that in previous years (up to season 8) they didn't include audio commentaries. They used to add them for the whole season boxset release. People probably are not aware that it has changed now and the commentaries are now included in single volumes (see my transcript of Avalon pts. 1 & 2 commentary in season 9 thread ) and they're waiting for the whole season 9 release.
            actually that is incorrect. I have the region 2 discs that i bought individualy and every single one of htem from s4 on has commentary on it (other than the stuff up of s8, which mgm fixed)
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Well, I guess I belong to those few who won't buy S9, be it single, boxset or wrapped with a nice bow. I have no interest in watching S10 (ok except for the ep. whith RDA and only if he has a meaty role and the writing gets better, and Vala is way way toned down- or not there at all, that would be good, and... and...you probably get my drift).

The Goaul'd got it all wrong with their powerfull weapons and Jaffa and what not: all they needed to bring the SGC down was Vala! (imho of course).With a little help from Mitchell and the co-command thing and the lack of team and the "aren't we soooo funny?" and "aren't we the best?"attitude etc, etc, etc...
              I wanted to see S9 before posting in one of the anti-threads (it's always better to have seen it oneself, the complaints seem much more- accurate?)but that might take a long long time (I saw a little bit of the first ep., it got taped over and I thought "oh well next week then" and the next week it was pretty much the same except that the tape just kind of lied there uselessly. My sister, who introduced me to SG1 stopped watching after a few episodes- boring, she said.) So no interest in watching S9 either.

Anyway end of the rant, that felt good! Thank you all for your insightfull and fun posts. The anti-threads are amongst the best read on the forum for me nowadays and isn't that sad ?
              Agi, a descended lurker

Comment

Originally posted by smurf

It is more sensible to buy it as a boxset, but I suppose that says something about people's excitement for the product if they are prepared to wait. I know if I want something I always want it ASAP.
                buying the box set is cheaper. however, for many fans the choice was, spend more money get the singles early in 2005 (just picking a year) or wait until dec or so of 2005 to get the box sets

folks were willing to spend more to NOT have to wait

sigpic

Comment

Do you really think that, after reading reports of Cameron's antics since he joined the SGC, Jack would ever want to entrust his friends to his leadership?

Maybe he could tell him that what he should do is be really quiet and unobtrusive and never suggest a course of action unless they ask nicely, "so that they'll know what they're missing."
                  heck no. Jack certainly woulda let cam be ON a team. but not lead it.

not until he actually went through the gate for hte first time that is.

Nine years ago when the SGC was new, of course they had to have commanders with no gate experience. Kinda hard to get experience on something you only got to work last week

but this isn't 9 years ago. This is 'now', when the SGC has over 20 teams and plenty of folks with experience to lead the flagship team

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                    buying the box set is cheaper. however, for many fans the choice was, spend more money get the singles early in 2005 (just picking a year) or wait until dec or so of 2005 to get the box sets

folks were willing to spend more to NOT have to wait
                    Cold hard financial logic against strong emotional ties.

Hmm, sounds like all-new-Stargate: SG-1.

Comment

yeah well, i personally found a good portion of s7 to be a waste of my money, more of s8 and s9....like i said, i'm not gonna buy the discs. I'll just put them on my christmas list

whereas in previous years i literally couldn't wait to stick the discs in the machine and watch the eps and commentary in their non-commercialed glory...there's not much in it for me now

how things have changed in the past few years

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                        Nine years ago when the SGC was new, of course they had to have commanders with no gate experience. Kinda hard to get experience on something you only got to work last week

but this isn't 9 years ago. This is 'now', when the SGC has over 20 teams and plenty of folks with experience to lead the flagship team
                        Even when SG-1 was first formed, it's commander had led the first mission through the stargate, another member had spent over a year on an alien planet, mastering the language of the Goa'uld in the process, another had spent two years studying the 'gate technology to figure out how it worked, plus another year researching alternative uses for it and had been part of the second team through the 'gate and the fourth member of the team had spent at least several decades traveling between planets and was the equivalent of a five star general - they were the most experienced people available.

Jonas, when he joined the team, provided them with knowledge they needed.

What skills and expertise does Cameron bring to SG-1 that its members do not already possess and that could not be found among the officers already stationed at the SGC?

Comment

What skills and expertise does Cameron bring to SG-1 that its members do not already possess and that could not be found among the officers already stationed at the SGC?
                          As near as I can figure, in the homaging tradition of season 9, the presence of the "cAmateur" on SG-1 is an homage to Jack, or a paraphrase of him: "The powers that be think we need a twerp to offset our overwhelming competence."

ETA: Should've been clearer - I think that line of Jack's about SG-1 needing a geopolitical nerd to offset their overwhelming coolness is the entire point of psycho-genesis for the Mitchell character in the writers' subconsciouses. SG-1 needed something different than they already were/had; something to contrast with their primary characteristics: competence, unity of purpose, mutual support, well-honed skills, years of experience... As the King of Siam would say: "Et cetera, et cetera." And voila - Mitchell sprang from their inmost subconscious imaginings straight to ignominy in their word processors.

Landry has to be the one who made the decision that put the cAmateur in charge: if Jack had still been commanding the SGC, we wouldn't have seen Cambo at all in season 9. He would have been off getting the requisite training, and, if that didn't make him into an Air Force Officer instead of Cambo, I can't imagine Jack so endangering the lives of his closest friends as to put them in Mitchell's keeping.
                          Last edited by Simhavaktra; 01 April 2006, 02:23 PM.
                          ...a very cranky blog:http://simhavaktra.blogspot.com/

Comment

Now your not being fair, he does have skills, like... well there is.... but what about.... you might have a point you know
                            Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
                            - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

Originally posted by PtahTheCreationGod
                              Now your not being fair, he does have skills, like... well there is.... but what about.... you might have a point you know
                              Of course he has skills! TPTB have told us "He has skills! He deserves to be here!" That's all you need to know.

Comment

Originally posted by Simhavaktra
                                As near as I can figure, in the homaging tradition of season 9, the presence of the "cAmateur" on SG-1 is an homage to Jack, or a paraphrase of him: "The powers that be think we need a twerp to offset our overwhelming competance."
                                I would have considered Jack a very effective commander. He was able to help a group of very different individuals gell together as a team and, for the most part, knew when he should listen to their opinions and take their advice and when he needed to take charge.

Had Makepeace, for example, been the one placed in charge of Sam, Daniel and Teal'c, I don't see the team connecting as they did or the characters maturing and developing to a point where they work so well in their areas of expertise and together that, most of the time, they do not need a leader at all and, when somebody needs to be in charge, that person need only be a first among equals rather than a commander in a stricter sense of the word.

Comment

Working...
                                X