S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
    i think that was one of my biggest issues with seasons 9 and 10, we stopped being the 'little humans that could' thinking and brainstorming and bluffing our way out of armageddon...and we turned into galactic treasure hunters and thieves, endlessly searching for the newest plot device for a quick fix to the latest threat.

it just cheapened the whole 'think and be smart and creative' concept that the show had.

we went from 'work hard and succeed' to 'find the newest fad to grant all your wishes in a blink'

it was just a, to me, betrayal of any integrity that the team had for years before these boys got their hands on the franchise
    but, but SG-1 were a bunch of screwups didn't ya know
    -

Comment

i think that was one of my biggest issues with seasons 9 and 10, we stopped being the 'little humans that could' thinking and brainstorming and bluffing our way out of armageddon...and we turned into galactic treasure hunters and thieves, endlessly searching for the newest plot device for a quick fix to the latest threat.

it just cheapened the whole 'think and be smart and creative' concept that the show had.

we went from 'work hard and succeed' to 'find the newest fad to grant all your wishes in a blink'

it was just a, to me, betrayal of any integrity that the team had for years before these boys got their hands on the franchise
      Didn't that more start at S7/end of S6 with the Lost City than with S9?
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
        Didn't that more start at S7/end of S6 with the Lost City than with S9?
        Possibly, but it became the norm in S9-10, not the exception...

Comment

A bit. But it went plaid with S9.

suse
          sigpic
          Mourning Sanctuary.
          Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post
            A bit. But it went plaid with S9.

suse
            It seems about the same to me of the hunt for superweapons in S7 vs S10
            Jelgate is right

Comment

I wasn't much of a fan of Anubis. But I did like other portions of pre-season 9. Likability of S9/S10 is the inverse proportion of Classic SG-1.
              sigpic
              Mourning Sanctuary.

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post
                I wasn't much of a fan of Anubis. But I did like other portions of pre-season 9. Likability of S9/S10 is the inverse proportion of Classic SG-1.
                What does likeablity have to do with anything? Its about the claim of "superweapons" in SG1 in the later years
                Jelgate is right

Comment

What does likeablity have to do with anything? Its about the claim of "superweapons" in SG1 in the later years
                  It's all part of Cooper's influence once he became showrunner. It started in S7 when Wright took a break and got worse once Gecko left. Most of the things people complain about on this thread are Cooper's handiwork.
                  -

Comment

I didn't much like the superweapon parts of the story even before S9. But almost all of S9/S10 was The Great Hunt For Superweapons (see Sky's post regarding that); no ingenuity was needed. Just luck and a map. Add that to despising Mitchell for various & sundry reasons, Vala for reasons both same and different, the Ori for sheer boringness (especially Super!Spawn), well less likable = less willing to give things a pass.

ETA: Cool add-on to your avatar RoX!
                    sigpic
                    Mourning Sanctuary.

Comment

and these guys, they equate history with baggage. they really had no respect for the gift they'd been given in a rich universe and characters.
                      i agree.

just think of what they did in 'sgu', with the communication stones. they had the destiny crew using the stones for visiting family and going to nightclubs, instead of getting sam or mckay or some other *expert* there to fix the ship to find a way home. where the fans just supposed to ignore that ppl like sam and mckay existed and could possibly get them out of the jam they were in?

okay, that would have changed the story idea the writers had for sgu, soooo, don't have the communication stones in the first place!

it's insulting to the fans to expect us to push aside info we *know* the characters know and would use, just so a specific plot point could happen. (like letting vala go to the meeting at the pentagon, when they knew she was a loud mouthed thief, and they let her dress like a high priced call-girl to boot! buuut, it was funny! )
                      sally

sigpic

Comment

It seems about the same to me of the hunt for superweapons in S7 vs S10
                        Really? In season 7 - that I'm also not a big fan of, btw, for various reasons - you had Lost City mentioned in the premiere and then mentioned again and found in the season finale. That's it. In season 10, on the other hand, almost half of the season was directly tied with search for Merlin's device - and that's discounting all the lead-up of season 9, when the idea of Lost City was introduced in the season 6 finale.

People perceibe things differently, but season 7 & 10 seem very different to me in regards to superweapon hunt.

ETA: majorsal, hon, can we please not drag SGU into this discussion? I know you guys hate it but some of us love it and don't see this supposed lack of continuity between SGU and previous shows. There are good in-verse reasons for Sam and McKay not to help with bringing Destiny home, so can we please drop it?
                        There's a good chance this opinion is shared by Ashizuri
                        sigpic
                        awesome sig by Josiane

Comment

Originally posted by Petra View Post
                          Really? In season 7 - that I'm also not a big fan of, btw, for various reasons - you had Lost City mentioned in the premiere and then mentioned again and found in the season finale. That's it. In season 10, on the other hand, almost half of the season was directly tied with search for Merlin's device - and that's discounting all the lead-up of season 9, when the idea of Lost City was introduced in the season 6 finale.

People perceibe things differently, but season 7 & 10 seem very different to me in regards to superweapon hunt.

ETA: majorsal, hon, can we please not drag SGU into this discussion? I know you guys hate it but some of us love it and don't see this supposed lack of continuity between SGU and previous shows. There are good in-verse reasons for Sam and McKay not to help with bringing Destiny home, so can we please drop it?
                          All together they are different but in the context of superweapons hunt its not just a S9/S10 aspect. For better or worse its apparent on the latter half of SG1.
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

I agree about SGU, it's not on topic here, so let's not get into it please.

the biggest thing about the later seasons, especially 9 and 10 (when ,free of Rick the kids not only ran the candy store but they seemed to spend more time eating the merchandise than running a business), is that our characters were often stupid to make a weak plot work

cam's incessant touching, vala's convenient past contacts, landry not locking out sam's passwords, sam not shutting down the system rather than giving baal what he wanted, etc

our characters were often stupidized and idiotized to make a weakly written plot work.

just sad to see show runners abuse their characters so much to cover up for their incessant use of cliches and stereotypes, and then temper tantrums when fans called them on it
                            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

but *i* don't know what the reasons were, so could you pass that along to me?

the discussions seem to be about 'continuity', so i brought it up. i only watched the first 10 eps of season 1, so i (obviously) missed something. no offense intended, petra.

~edit: okay, reading a mod post here, would you mind, petra, answering me my question on my profile page?
                              sally

sigpic

Comment

That's the main reason why I don't mind the superweapon in S7 vs S10, since very little story time was spent on them searching for it. Same with S8, they didn't spend the whole season looking for the Dakara weapon. Also, with the Goa'uld we got to see SG-1 utilize several different methods of fighting them, from blowing up their ships to beating them in 'court', or sometimes working with one to defeat another.

In contrast, from what I remember of S9/10, the only thing they seemed to try against the Ori was looking weapons the Ancients happened to leave around, first the Sangraal and then the Ark. So the superweapons of S9/10 felt like a rather one-note way to fight the Ori to me, while in S7/8 it felt more like they were part of the variety tools SG-1 used against the Goa'uld.
                                Last edited by EvenstarSRV; 24 February 2011, 05:37 PM.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X