X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by suse View Post
    OT (for V):
    Spoiler:
    I've watched some of the V clips. it actually looks pretty good. Though Morena playing the leader of a people that want to use devotion/gratitude to smooth the way to power/control... <<sigh>> Yikes, an adult, political Adria...
    It has Morena Baccarin, I'm sure it'll be canned within a season so we call all say "Firefly strikes again".

As for S9/10 ... all I want to say is that they were bad fanfiction written by fanboys. I was reminded of all those fanfiction stories where the author inserts himself into a story and is a Mar(t)y Sue.
    Signed,

Gregorius
    Gateworld Forum Troublemaker Extraordinaire.

sigpic

Support the (r)Evolution: Gregorius for Moderator.
    Gregorius, because clowning about is his raison d'être.

Comment

Just an update on using the term "Bori" to describe the Ori

The general consensus seems to be that it's a no go. It can be seen as "derogatory" and as a slap in the face to those who enjoyed them, and come under the the same lines as calling McKay/Keller "McIcky" And with the CVS and the threads being more open it could cause problems.

This doesn't mean that you can't say "The Ori were boring villains", "I found the Ori to be boring in the extreme". Both of these statements (or anything similar), express your opinion and are a perfectly acceptable way to express your feelings.

I know it's a fine line, but it is a line that we ask you not to cross. In the meantime, we're working on fine tuning the guidelines so that there won't be any confusion regarding "nicknames" in the future.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by KatG View Post

The general consensus seems to be that it's a no go. It can be seen as "derogatory" and as a slap in the face to those who enjoyed them, and come under the the same lines as calling McKay/Keller "McIcky" And with the CVS and the threads being more open it could cause problems.

This doesn't mean that you can't say "The Ori were boring villains", "I found the Ori to be boring in the extreme". Both of these statements (or anything similar), express your opinion and are a perfectly acceptable way to express your feelings.

I know it's a fine line, but it is a line that we ask you not to cross. In the meantime, we're working on fine tuning the guidelines so that there won't be any confusion regarding "nicknames" in the future.
        Not a problem, if it's going to upset people then it's just as easy to refrain from using it. As long as I can say the Ori are boring I'm okay with it. Thanks for checking.
        sigpic "We do get paid for this, right?"

Comment

Are "Cambo", "Laundry", and "Action!Jackson" still allowed?
          Signed,

Gregorius

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gregorius View Post
            It has Morena Baccarin, I'm sure it'll be canned within a season so we call all say "Firefly strikes again".

As for S9/10 ... all I want to say is that they were bad fanfiction written by fanboys. I was reminded of all those fanfiction stories where the author inserts himself into a story and is a Mar(t)y Sue.
            Are they remaking V?
            sigpic "We do get paid for this, right?"

Comment

Originally posted by HPMom View Post
              Are they remaking V?
              Yes. Then again, they're remaking nearly everything these days, it's like they can't think up new concepts for series.
              Signed,

Gregorius

sigpic

Comment

I'd assume not. They were all meant to be derogatory too.

suse
                sigpic
                Mourning Sanctuary.
                Thanks for the good times!

Comment

suse
                  I assume this means my fanfics aren't allowed anymore since they're filled with those terms.
                  Signed,

Gregorius

sigpic

Comment

I assume this means my fanfics aren't allowed anymore since they're filled with those terms.
                    Not on Gateworld.
                    <<doubletake>>
                    You write fanfic?

I was doing some searching for a request here (seems the thread is gone ) and was reminded of a few things.

As bad as Vala was in S9, they had a chance to redeem her in S10. Instead they went the joinheratthehiptoDaniel route and didn't let the character develop separately. And dropped her IQ (but still made her able to break into a secure facility's network in Morpheus) when she wore pigtails.

suse
                    sigpic
                    Mourning Sanctuary.

Comment

suse
                      Yep Suse is right.

Well you couldn't post them word for word here, but I think you could post a link to it the page where you host it. I'll check and make sure though.
                      sigpic

Comment

Well you couldn't post them word for word here, but I think you could post a link to it the page where you host it. I'll check and make sure though.
                        Greg, you can do as stated above. Paste a link to the page where you have your fic listed, just make sure that you somehow put a warning in to let people know the fic takes liberties with people's names, using nicknames that some may feel are derogatory, or something to that effect. Then if someone clicks on it, they know what they're getting and have no reason to complain.
                        sigpic

Comment

Not on Gateworld.
                          <<doubletake>>
                          You write fanfic?
                          Yeah, the Chronicle Stuff. I'll give you the links.

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=33265 <-- Gel Hell
                          http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=33266 <-- Fellowship of the Rings.

You know, the things were I add an odd chapter once every year or so.

As bad as Vala was in S9, they had a chance to redeem her in S10. Instead they went the joinheratthehiptoDaniel route and didn't let the character develop separately. And dropped her IQ (but still made her able to break into a secure facility's network in Morpheus) when she wore pigtails.
                          So Vala was piggy-backing along with Daniel, or whatever the English phrase is.

Anyway, the only time I like Vala was when she was far, far, away from our intrepid action hero, Daniel Jackson whose actions kept reminding me that he was more like Anubis that Daniel, but that's besides the point.
                          Signed,

Gregorius

sigpic

Comment

Yeah, I already did last a year ago or something.

Greg, you can do as stated above. Paste a link to the page where you have your fic listed, just make sure that you somehow put a warning in to let people know the fic takes liberties with people's names, using nicknames that some may feel are derogatory, or something to that effect. Then if someone clicks on it, they know what they're getting and have no reason to complain.
                            Isn't the fact that I've written it a warning in itself that it mocks everything?

Anyway, a few quick OT questions: Since nicknames aren't allowed anymore, could the mods please do something about those portmanteaus and shorthands relationshippers use?

For instance: A "ship" is a vessel, not a shorthand for "relationship", that would be " 'ship " and it annoys the hell out of me because it's confusing.
                            Signed,

Gregorius

sigpic

Comment

Yeah, I already did last a year ago or something.

Isn't the fact that I've written it a warning in itself that it mocks everything?

Anyway, a few quick OT questions: Since nicknames aren't allowed anymore, could the mods please do something about those portmanteaus and shorthands relationshippers use?

For instance: A "ship" is a vessel, not a shorthand for "relationship", that would be " 'ship " and it annoys the hell out of me because it's confusing.
                              I think you are out of luck, Greg, unless you can figure out a way using ship instead of 'ship is derogatory to vessels...

suse
                              sigpic
                              Mourning Sanctuary.

Comment

I think you are out of luck, Greg, unless you can figure out a way using ship instead of 'ship is derogatory to vessels...

suse
                                It's derogatory to engineers. Why should relationshippers be allowed to shorthand their opinions " 'ship" when I'm not allowed to call Cam's Rambo mode that nickname?

I, as an engineer, feel insulted and disgusted by them using the word "ship" ,which describes beautiful pieces of engineering throughout thousands of years of naval history, to describe something as fleeting as a relationship.

*shakes head*
                                Signed,

Gregorius

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X