S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gregorius View Post
    I disagree, even the space leeches on Atlantis were less boring than the Bori. Mostly because the former were developed a bit while the latter were always off-screen and just plain boring in their goals.
    That's hilarious! I think you've coined a new name for the Ori in this S10 Critique thread.
    sigpic "We do get paid for this, right?"

Comment

Originally posted by scifithinker View Post

Jack's never bothered me because he never crossed the line. Vala was written as a whore, and she sexually harassed Daniel. I, for one, didn't find it the least bit funny. I remember laughing once to one of her "fun" jokes, but that was it.
      That's so true! In what work environment is that okay? Oh, yeah, one that Landry's in charge of.

Comment

Originally posted by HPMom View Post
        That's hilarious! I think you've coined a new name for the Ori in this S10 Critique thread.
        That nickname's as old as S9. Another few are:
        Colonel Cambo, General Laundry, Action!Jackson.
        Signed,

Gregorius
        Gateworld Forum Troublemaker Extraordinaire.

sigpic

Support the (r)Evolution: Gregorius for Moderator.
        Gregorius, because clowning about is his raison d'être.

Comment

Mod Hat On

Hey guys,

Before we get a string of posts calling the Ori, the Bori, let me find out if it's allowed. I seem to remember something about what could be considered insulting "nicknames" by some, not being allowed under the CVS, but I'm not sure if this one applies. So please hold off on using it until I get back to you.

Thanks.

Mod Hat Off
          sigpic

Comment

[QUOTE=EvenstarSRV;10194167]

S10 was the first Stargate season I actually got see live, and it felt kinda like 'ok, the Ori are dead, now we've got time to go to high school reunions, have Jaffa revenge sprees, and humor Vala's dad'. It was very confusing.[/QUOTE]

Comment

That nickname's as old as S9. Another few are:
              Colonel Cambo, General Laundry, Action!Jackson.
              Those are very funny!

Comment

Originally posted by KatG View Post
                Mod Hat On

Hey guys,

Before we get a string of posts calling the Ori, the Bori, let me find out if it's allowed. I seem to remember something about what could be considered insulting "nicknames" by some, not being allowed under the CVS, but I'm not sure if this one applies. So please hold off on using it until I get back to you.

Thanks.

Mod Hat Off
                We'll hold off (but crossing fingers that it's allowed).

Comment

Originally posted by Ashizuri View Post
                  lets see, a group of beings who used their super powered technology to make people worship them as gods, killing anyone who didn't.

Aliens playing gods? Wait a minute, are they "false gods?"

Seems familiar...almost like I've seen this story before...

They were the same badguy we'd seen for 8 years, just dressed a bit differently. It's like putting a pig in a dress and trying to pass it off as a woman. Nope, still a pig.

That's why the Ori were boring for me. You can take away the glitter eye-liner and gold lame' but as badguys go, the Ori and the Goa'uld were pretty interchangable, and they did it better the first time around.

I personally found the Goa'uld infinately more appealing and dangerous. I mean, it took more than a magic box for SG-1 to defeat the Goa'uld. And for all we know, they're not defeated. (Goa'uld Kinsey is alive. Is, is, is! He had potential to be soooo awesome. He made it off that Alkesh, I refuse to believe otherwise.)
                  They are defeated. The only one left is Baal, and he died in another movie.

Whereas the Goa'uld were cruel, malicious and pagan, the Ori were benevolent, convincing, mysterious, and almost monotheistic. Any plan that we thought would work tended to lose. They destroyed the coalition of ships sent to protect the Milky Way with only four of theirs, they destroyed Chulak and Dakara, and generally made poop out of any strategy we had until we started cheating and thinking outside established conventions.

Comment

Originally posted by Vladius View Post
                    Thank you for spoiling that movie.

Whereas the Goa'uld were cruel, malicious and pagan, the Ori were benevolent, convincing, mysterious, and almost monotheistic. Any plan that we thought would work tended to lose.
                    Ya think!?

They destroyed the coalition of ships sent to protect the Milky Way with only four of theirs, they destroyed Chulak and Dakara, and generally made poop out of any strategy we had until we started cheating and thinking outside established conventions.
                    There's a term for that: "Deus ex Machina".
                    Signed,

Gregorius

sigpic

Comment

The only system lord left was Ba'al, and if we take the final conversation in Continuum seriously, they're not even 100% certain that they found the last clone. Surely all the Goa'uld in the world didn't just fall over dead because the system lords are gone? Didn't Joe M. say that the Goa'uld were not all gone, that there were some left in the galaxy? I'll try and hunt that quote out, but I'm fairly certain about that. So no, they're not defeated, just a bit powerless at the moment.

They destroyed the coalition of ships sent to protect the Milky Way with only four of theirs, they destroyed Chulak and Dakara, and generally made poop out of any strategy we had until we started cheating and thinking outside established conventions.
                      There's a term for that: "Deus ex Machina".
                      I hate when things end the way the Ori plot did. It's like a fake win. SG1 didn't do anything but open a magic box.
                      Originally posted by Callista
                      Ahhh! Ashizuri can see into the future!!
                      Originally posted by HPMom
                      She saw the candle light as many things.

Comment

Belouchi writes: “[...] 5. After all these years are there still Goual’ds out there that need to be taken into consideration; we know all the system lords were wiped out from Stargate Continum but there is the chance of lesser Goualds with powerful ships and armies? [...]"

Answers: [...] 5. There are definitely some goa’uld out there, biding their time. [...]
                        http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...d-the-mailbag/

The Goa'uld are not all gone. Goa'uld Kinsey is aliiiiive!

Comment

They're not all gone, but the rest aren't going to matter any.

(I know you guys probably aren't video game fans, but Stargate Worlds looks to be exciting in this regard. The playable Goa'uld won't be System Lords or even tell people that they're gods, but they'll have followers and work in a Baal-esque fashion.)

Yes, I know, Deus ex machina, blah blah blah. Really, what can you do if your show is canceled and you need to resolve a major story arc in the space of one movie?

Comment

Yes, I know, Deus ex machina, blah blah blah. Really, what can you do if your show is canceled and you need to resolve a major story arc in the space of one movie?
                            They would've never been in that mess hadn't they written the boring arc that's the Ori arc.

What they could've done to end this arc? Have the team free Anubis and Oma, and use those two to fight the Ori.
                            Signed,

Gregorius

sigpic

Comment

They're not all gone, but the rest aren't going to matter any.
                              Know this for a fact do you?

(I know you guys probably aren't video game fans, but Stargate Worlds looks to be exciting in this regard. The playable Goa'uld won't be System Lords or even tell people that they're gods, but they'll have followers and work in a Baal-esque fashion.)
                              I play video games, but I've never gotten into computer games like WoW and it seems like that's what Worlds is going to be. I can't stand games that have no definitive ending. Drives me mad. I like to win and there's just no beating those games.

You can already have planned how you want the story to go, on a general level, so that when things go pear shaped as they often do when ratings drop like they did you don't look like bad writers. You can come up with something that makes your heroes look heroic. You can up with something better than a gift from on high.

Or you can come up with a magic box of awesomeness.

Comment

Why were they boring?
                                The Ori were boring to me compared to the Goa'uld because they were a monolithic enemy, it was simply 'convert or die', no real middle ground. The Ori's followers, especially Tomin, were far more interesting to me than the Ori themselves.

With the Goa'uld, you had a wider variety of personalities and strategies among the System Lords, from Apophis's and Anubis's head-on attacks to Ba'al's and Nirrti's more insidious methods. You had Goa'uld like Yu and Ba'al sometimes switching sides and helping the Tau'ri, and you had the whole Tok'ra element, which suggested that simply being a parasite doesn't make you evil.

Thing is, virtually every time the SGC scored a victory against the Ori, it was via a deus ex machina, Garek suddenly saving everyone from the plague in 4th Horsemen, the Sangraal in The Shroud, and then the Ark in Ark of Truth, and the first two were likely scripted before the show was canceled.

The writers made the Ori so overwhelming powerful, that there was no chance the SGC could defeat them without some handy Ancient weapon. In comparison, SG-1 was able to defeat the Goa'uld in a variety of ways, from just shooting them (Seth, Cronus), to tricking them (Sokar, Apophis), with the occasional Ancient weapon (Anubis).

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X