S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by suse View Post
    Or, you just didn't see it. Doesn't mean it wasn't there for others to see.

Might want to look again at those smirks of Lam's and Landry's when they say "intimate".

YMMV, apparently.

suse
    Uh.... Of course. Whatever you say. I just didn't see it.

Comment

Originally posted by silly sally View Post
      I was really surprised by that especially since that episode was written by JM a supposed SJ supporter... (Also by the almost kiss between Au Martouf and Sam in Ripple Effect)
      Well there was some sort of relationship between adult Orlin and Sam. What exactly it was, is up to each person's imagination. There was definitely some sort of intimacy - whether it was "glowy sex" or just the fact that when he went all glowy on her, there was a mental bonding, they were very close - so I wouldn't have had a problem with mentioning her relationship if S9 Orlin had been an adult. Even then, the sly innuendos would have been very unprofessional though.

As for the almost kiss between AU Martouf and Sam - there was also some precedent for that. Sam had a very close relationship with Martouf due to feelings left over from Jolinar. Up until D&C when she shot him, and despite her feelings for Jack, I think in a way she loved him - so faced with another Martouf and the feelings that dredged up - I can see perhaps being caught up in the moment, especially if the part of her that still feels what Jolinar feels took over.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by KatG View Post
        Oh man. Don't even get me started on "Orlin" in S9. That was just creepy and wrong on so many levels. And Landry's and Lam's reaction to Sam's previous "relationship" with Orlin was completely unprofessional and uncalled for.
        Yes, I didn't get that. Were they trying to insinuate that Sam had sex with Orlin? I never got that from Ascension. Not that Orlin didn't want to, but among other things Sam thought the house was loaded with cameras!

Originally posted by Ashizuri View Post
        Almost everything about Landry and Lam was unprofessional, but as they were never able to keep their personal lives off base I didn't expect them to keep other people's personal lives there either.

Totally off topic, but AT looks amazing in your sig jasminaGo.
        If they were unable to keep it off base, why was he allowed to be her CO? I thought that was odd but haven't seen enough eps to know.
        Originally posted by suse View Post
        Or, you just didn't see it. Doesn't mean it wasn't there for others to see.

Might want to look again at those smirks of Lam's and Landry's when they say "intimate".

YMMV, apparently.

suse
        I agree. He practically put his fingers up in the air and made little quotation marks around the word intimate. Which, even if it were true, is inappropriate. What's just as odd is that Sam didn't try to set him straight.

Comment

Originally posted by jasminaGo View Post
          Oh, yes. Especially about the bold part. I absolutely loved Janet in every scene, no matter who Teryl's co-star was. She just clicked with everyone and it was so natural, and really a pleasure to watch.
          So, so true. Janet/Jack is my super secret otp. I never saw the long looks that her and Daniel supposedly shared but my fangirly heart sqee's when she tears up in Jack's cell in the Broca Divide.

Did you had to mention Jasek? I'm still trying to erase that mistake from my memory.
          Wont happen again.

At least I'm grateful for one thing. They didn't went along with the Cam/Lam former sweethearts idea. Talk about a soap opera meets Sci Fi
          At least if they had done that, we wouldn't have gotten the Cam/Sam nonsense.

Originally posted by HPMom View Post
          I think some people have selective perception. They so want to like S9 & 10 they can only see what they want to see.
          This is very true. I dislike seasons 9/10 95% of the time. It took me a while before I could even get past my hatred of it and see the parts where the shiny hadn't completely rubbed off stargate.

Originally posted by VSS View Post
          If they were unable to keep it off base, why was he allowed to be her CO? I thought that was odd but haven't seen enough eps to know.
          Um. Because military protocal was not as important as teh drama? Because otherwise we wouldn't connect on an emotional level with Landry?

The canon reason (as far as I can recall) is because apparently Jack put them both there in the hopes they'd work it out. Which just makes Jack look stupid and I find it very hard to believe he'd put two people who couldn't work together/treat eachother respectfully into a job taking care of 3 of the most important people in his life and on the front line.
          Originally posted by Callista
          Ahhh! Ashizuri can see into the future!!
          Originally posted by HPMom
          She saw the candle light as many things.

Comment

Yes, I didn't get that. Were they trying to insinuate that Sam had sex with Orlin? I never got that from Ascension. Not that Orlin didn't want to, but among other things Sam thought the house was loaded with cameras!
            I agree.

I agree. He practically put his fingers up in the air and made little quotation marks around the word intimate. Which, even if it were true, is inappropriate. What's just as odd is that Sam didn't try to set him straight.
            Right. All she said was that he was an adult at the time. That whole scene makes me shudder. I miss Hammond.

Comment

Well there was some sort of relationship between adult Orlin and Sam. What exactly it was, is up to each person's imagination. There was definitely some sort of intimacy - whether it was "glowy sex" or just the fact that when he went all glowy on her, there was a mental bonding, they were very close - so I wouldn't have had a problem with mentioning her relationship if S9 Orlin had been an adult. Even then, the sly innuendos would have been very unprofessional though.

As for the almost kiss between AU Martouf and Sam - there was also some precedent for that. Sam had a very close relationship with Martouf due to feelings left over from Jolinar. Up until D&C when she shot him, and despite her feelings for Jack, I think in a way she loved him - so faced with another Martouf and the feelings that dredged up - I can see perhaps being caught up in the moment, especially if the part of her that still feels what Jolinar feels took over.
              I had the impression the glowy thing was the ancients version of lovemaking. I think I got that idea more from the SGA episode called "Sanctuary". I can't remember the wording but at the end John was lamenting that he wouldn't get to know Chaya Sar in an intimate way and she said they could and did the glowy thing. He seemed pretty satisfied afterwards.

So, so true. [SIZE="1"]

At least if they had done that, we wouldn't have gotten the Cam/Sam nonsense.
              I always thought it was silly to have Sam in a relationship after they implied she was hanging out with Jack. Sam is not the type to 2 time.
              sigpic "We do get paid for this, right?"

Comment

The canon reason (as far as I can recall) is because apparently Jack put them both there in the hopes they'd work it out. Which just makes Jack look stupid and I find it very hard to believe he'd put two people who couldn't work together/treat eachother respectfully into a job taking care of 3 of the most important people in his life and on the front line.
                For real?
                Boy, they had Jack putting all kinds of people into jobs where they were responsible for taking care of 3 of the most important people in his life, didn't they?

Comment

For real?
                  Boy, they had Jack putting all kinds of people into jobs where they were responsible for taking care of 3 of the most important people in his life, didn't they?
                  Not to mention that Jack never struck me as the Dr. Phil type.
                  Jack to Landry: "Come on Hank, it's time to get real!”
                  sigpic "We do get paid for this, right?"

Comment

Oh man. Don't even get me started on "Orlin" in S9. That was just creepy and wrong on so many levels. And Landry's and Lam's reaction to Sam's previous "relationship" with Orlin was completely unprofessional and uncalled for.

OMG yes. That was totally gross! Besides when when did they do anything but have dinner and take a walk? I thought they "opened" their minds to eachother and that was all. That made the relationship less hollywood more Sci-fi. But if there was sheet warming going on I totally did not pick up on that.

O'Neill: Well, I suppose now is the time for me to say something profound...
                    Nothing comes to mind.

Comment

I just shudder at that whole scene and Landry's question. And I agree with everyone else at thinking it was totally unprofessional of him to even ask that question. I'm a bit surprised the actors went along with it. I also never had the impression there was anything more to Sam and Orlin than having dinner and walking together and sharing energy. Sam was way smarter than to let anything go beyond that, even if she did like him. As far as she knew, those cameras were still in her house, and she certainly wouldn't have done anything more "intimate" that those cameras would have recorded. Apparently the writers forgot about that when they wrote Landry's inappropriate question.

Comment

Originally posted by Vladius View Post
                        Uh.... Of course. Whatever you say. I just didn't see it.
                        And that's all you had to say. Much better than saying it was imagined.

It was said when I was still truly trying to like the show, rather than watching for it's mockability quotient. For that matter it was one of the final nails.

And even later when it was mostly mockable I could and did recognize decent scenes. S9/S10 weren't all bad. Just mostly. <<Vaguely homages The Princess Bride... Too bad Miracle Max couldn't save it.>>

suse
                        Last edited by suse; 05 May 2009, 09:24 AM.
                        sigpic
                        Mourning Sanctuary.
                        Thanks for the good times!

Comment

For real?
                          Odd that..

suse
                          sigpic
                          Mourning Sanctuary.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                            I just shudder at that whole scene and Landry's question. And I agree with everyone else at thinking it was totally unprofessional of him to even ask that question. I'm a bit surprised the actors went along with it. I also never had the impression there was anything more to Sam and Orlin than having dinner and walking together and sharing energy. Sam was way smarter than to let anything go beyond that, even if she did like him. As far as she knew, those cameras were still in her house, and she certainly wouldn't have done anything more "intimate" that those cameras would have recorded. Apparently the writers forgot about that when they wrote Landry's inappropriate question.
                            Oh, I think all kinds of things (canon being the most obvious) were tossed aside in the name of a lame joke.

Look at Vala.
                            sigpic
                            Mourning Sanctuary.

Comment

Originally posted by HPMom View Post
                              Not to mention that Jack never struck me as the Dr. Phil type.
                              Jack to Landry: "Come on Hank, it's time to get real!”
                              LOL Can't green you, but I salute you.

RE: Lam It might have been interesting for them to explore the fact she's a civilian in a military setting; they didn't have to add the soap opera father-daughter drama. Yuk.

Comment

Wow, you guys were busy!

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
                                What was that line when they were trying to translate the wall? "Three days of the chicken" or something like that?
                                (
                                I so love this scene. That's how doing translations looks like. It reminds of the time when my friend and I translated a really big article for our group classes at uni; we were very proud of ourselves, everything made sense albeit the topic seemed really weird..in the end it turned out the text was about something else entirely and we did some alternate version

Anyway, I really liked Ancients in the first seasons, when they were this great, advanced, powerful race. But the more we learned about them the more stupid they were made out to be and I really disliked it. I didn't have any real problems with this storyline till the end of season 8 (I thought Anubis in Threads was really cool) and the idea of the Ori wasn't so bad. If I loved the Ancients storyline, like some fans did, I guess I could have ignored all the mistakes/plotholes/inconsistencies; but since I merely liked it (and in season 8 it started to get boring) all the flaws in its execution made me eventually go "meh, this is boring.."

Right now i must say I really dislike the Ancients and if they appear in the 3rd movie I'll be an unhappy fan. But this is not SG-1's fault; it's because of SGA. What they did to the Ancients..*sigh*

Originally posted by KatG
                                I agree. But I really didn't see anything sexual in their relationship. Intimate? Yes, I guess you can't get more intimate than when you share your mind with someone; but I always thought it was more on the intellectual/spiritual level than physical. When Landry implied they had sex - at least that's how I understood the scene - I went: "what?".

And I wonder how did Landry know about it? I'm not sure it was something Sam would have written about in her report, apart from it being a very personal experience it would also give NID/Kinsey something to use against her in the future and the military could consider her compromised.
                                There's a good chance this opinion is shared by Ashizuri
                                sigpic
                                awesome sig by Josiane

Comment

Working...
                                X