S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by suse View Post
    Someone I was chatting with tonight pointed out that in Rules of Engagement O'Neill smacked a soldier on his helmet when he went off half-cocked.

Not a bad idea.

suse
    Taking lessons from Leroy Jethro Gibbs in NCIS.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
      Taking lessons from Leroy Jethro Gibbs in NCIS.

I every time he does that.

But Jack did it years before NCIS started.

Suse
      sigpic
      Mourning Sanctuary.
      Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post
        I every time he does that.

But Jack did it years before NCIS started.

Suse
        So ... maybe Gibbs learned it from O'Neill and thought it was a great tool for teaching probies!

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
          So ... maybe Gibbs learned it from O'Neill and thought it was a great tool for teaching probies!
          For probies and gung ho Lt. Colonels
          sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Callista View Post
            What do you think about the idea that Jack wasn't happy about the rest of the team breaking up when he left but they all had very legitimate reasons and paths to pursue so he sent Cam there with the hopes that Cam would talk them into "getting the band back together"?

Sure, Jack is a big, powerful general by that point, but he doesn't really have any hold over Teal'c (who very legitimately would want to go back to his people) and not a whole lot over Daniel either (who has been begging to go to Atlantis at this point for a year) and despite Sam being a good soldier, she's definitely more useful as a scientist and researcher/developer so with the other two going, if Sam wanted to move I think he'd be hard-pressed not to let her. So, he sends the guy that they all know has a big hero-crush on them and is excited and enthusiastic and can play a bit of a guilt card since they all saw him in the hospital (I'll admit there's a weak point here...why did they all go visit him in the hospital? Maybe they went on a grand tour and visited all the people who ended up in the hospital after the fight but we only saw them visiting Cam?) to try to persuade them to get back together. If he can get them back as a team, Jack would know full well that Cam wouldn't actually be in charge of anything as Sam is of equal rank and Daniel and Teal'c never paid all that terribly much attention to Jack's orders let alone some new guy. If he can't get them back together, then Cam might not want to be there anyway or Jack could re-assign him to a different team when Cam gets discouraged by the people he has to choose from in forming a new SG-1. Jack wouldn't have known that they were going to find a big, gigantic new threat to the galaxy during the first week. It looked like it would be an easy, calm time to introduce a new guy and teach a promising but brash officer some good lessons in patience and team-work.

I just came up with this idea, so I'm quite sure it's full of holes. Poke away
            Others already gave great replies to your theory and I agree with them
            Personally I have a problem right with your first sentence. Why would Jack not be happy about SG-1 break-up? He was the one who always reminded them to “get a life”. So they did. After the defeat of Goa’uld and Replicators our galaxy was safe and SG-1 was no longer needed. They were free to pursue their other interests. Plus leading free Jaffa on Dakara and doing research in Area 51 were arguably safer than staying on first-contact team, and I don’t see Jack endangering his closest friends for the sake of..what? I just don’t see a point in SG-1 staying together on the team for all eternity.
            There's a good chance this opinion is shared by Ashizuri
            sigpic
            awesome sig by Josiane

Comment

Originally posted by col aga View Post
              Others already gave great replies to your theory and I agree with them
              Personally I have a problem right with your first sentence. Why would Jack not be happy about SG-1 break-up? He was the one who always reminded them to “get a life”. So they did. After the defeat of Goa’uld and Replicators our galaxy was safe and SG-1 was no longer needed. They were free to pursue their other interests. Plus leading free Jaffa on Dakara and doing research in Area 51 were arguably safer than staying on first-contact team, and I don’t see Jack endangering his closest friends for the sake of..what? I just don’t see a point in SG-1 staying together on the team for all eternity.
              But if they are together they shouldn't be lead by someone untrained for the position, especially when they are plenty that are trained and one of them lead the team for a year already.

Please note: There were times I liked Mitchell. Mostly when he wasn't acting as "SG leader" or telling the people who were *on* previous missions what the missions were about. It look until 200 to make me even stop trying to like him. Until then I tried to find one thing I liked each ep. That one thing got blown away each time he acted the leader/idiot. And yes, I'm well aware it was a way to get info to new viewers while giving Mitchell some screentime. It was a bad one. "I read the mission reports" does not count as actually *being* on the missions.

suse
              sigpic
              Mourning Sanctuary.

Comment

But if they are together they shouldn't be lead by someone untrained for the position, especially when they are plenty that are trained and one of them lead the team for a year already.
                I think that falls into 'like it or lump it' territory. It's not going to change at this late date, especially after Cam's heroism in the Ark of Truth. He was more heroic in Continuum, but they can't remember that, of course. At this point he has plenty of experience--probably the equivanent of season 3 or 4 for the original team (not sure how far apart the two movies were). You certainly couldn't call Daniel inexperienced by that point., so Cam can't be considered inexperienced, either.

Comment

Originally posted by amconway View Post
                  I think that falls into 'like it or lump it' territory. It's not going to change at this late date, especially after Cam's heroism in the Ark of Truth. He was more heroic in Continuum, but they can't remember that, of course. At this point he has plenty of experience--probably the equivanent of season 3 or 4 for the original team (not sure how far apart the two movies were). You certainly couldn't call Daniel inexperienced by that point., so Cam can't be considered inexperienced, either.
                  Consider it lumped. He was certainly inexperienced when he started, and that's the issue that clouds everything I see later. <<shrug>> I saw about 20 minutes of AoT at a friend's house (which she rented, not bought) and and left. I did hear Cam was whumped by the replicator for quite a while ad nauseum. Whoop. Dee. Doo. <<yawn>> 'Boy stuff'

I can stomach Vala in small doses because she didn't lead and they finally stopped the sexual harassment/innuendo.

They both could have been integrated in a way that wasn't so disruptive to what came before. That's what's disappointing.

Nothing can he changed at this late date. Even the good stuff. Such as it was.

suse
                  sigpic
                  Mourning Sanctuary.

Comment

I'm sorry I might be missing something here. What heroism in AoT? Running off on his own in search of the 'mother bug' is not heroic, it's stupid! In basics his actions negate all that he supposedly learned in his time on SG1, since he still acted recklessly. And don't even get me started on the 'fight'. Mitchell should have been dead seven times over. I'm all for whump, love it in fact, but only when it makes sense. Beating a character to a ridiculous extent, because RCC said that fans 'want to see the hero whupmed' is not it! Mitchell did a little better in Continuum, he was toned down a little and the whole movie had more of a team feel instead of a 'one man show (or half a show)' he wanted to play in AoT. As Jack says: "Bring in the young strapping marines!"

This is all JMHO (speaking from a life spend on military bases and experience with martial arts)
                    sigpic

Comment

I guess I just totally disagree with you guys! Someone had to go after the replicator the was spewing out new ones, and the others were busy trying to keep them out of the ships systems. I enjoyed the Ark of Truth quite a bit, in it's entirety, not finding it 'just boy stuff' at all.

Comment

Why would he go alone though? He needs some one to watch his back. They should all have been protecting Carter while she searched for the kill code or they should have had many marines all out searching in properly organised fire teams.

I did get a kick out of them setting up with that machine gun though.
                        sigpic
                        Banner By JME2

Comment

Why would he go alone though? He needs some one to watch his back. They should all have been protecting Carter while she searched for the kill code or they should have had many marines all out searching in properly organised fire teams.

I did get a kick out of them setting up with that machine gun though.
                          I got the impression that the others were spread out over the ship, trying to limit the damage while Sam and Cam did their thing, and that there weren't people to spare.

Comment

I think the main difficulty I had in accepting Mitchell as SG-1 leader at first was that when the team was reconstituted in season 9, he was the most inexperienced person on the team. Sam and Teal'c had the most years on the team, with Daniel only a year behind them. Because they're civilians I don't think Teal'c or Daniel could ever become leaders of SG-1, but as the most experienced military officer on the team I thought it would have made more sense for Sam to have been the leader of the military unit.

After Ark of Truth I can more easily see Mitchell as the leader of SG-1 because with Sam going to Atlantis he became the most experienced military officer on the team.

sigpic

Comment

I think the main difficulty I had in accepting Mitchell as SG-1 leader at first was that when the team was reconstituted in season 9, he was the most inexperienced person on the team. Sam and Teal'c had the most years on the team, with Daniel only a year behind them. Because they're civilians I don't think Teal'c or Daniel could ever become leaders of SG-1, but as the most experienced military officer on the team I thought it would have made more sense for Sam to have been the leader of the military unit.

After Ark of Truth I can more easily see Mitchell as the leader of SG-1 because with Sam going to Atlantis he became the most experienced military officer on the team.
                              I can see people's problem at the beginning, although, since the rest of the team had left, he actually was the most experienced person. He was the only person! He convinced the others to come back to a team under his leadership, which they agreed to. I suspect that at the time, they thought it would be very temporary (for Sam, it was temporary, although it took 2 years plus for her to get to Atlantis), and then they would be off to what they were doing before.

There's no reason to object to Cam at this point, though. He is both experienced and the most experienced officer on the team, not that Sam has been reassigned to the General Hammond.

Comment

Originally posted by EvenstarSRV View Post

But as mentioned before, Cam doesn't come off as an experienced officer; he certainly hasn't learned from SG1. His running off on his own, just doesn't ring true as Jasmina said. I guess it's pretty sad, when the actor says about his character that his only skill is getting beat up
                                sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Working...
                                X