No announcement yet.

S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hindsight is 20/20 and I wonder if TPTB could go back and change anything about

I had a long talk with a writer friend of mine (who, ironically, wrote an episode of Stargate: Infinity ) today. The money people (aka the studio/producers) have more of a say in the decision making and if you get notes that instruct you to hire a leading man who could replace RDA, you do it. Even nowadays (though this is changing slowly - Sanctuary gives me hope though I haven't seen it. I don't know how she's billed in the credits) a woman isn't given top billing on a sci-fi show.

There was SO much they could have done with Sam leading SG-1. She needs some flaws. She needs to make mistakes. They could have explored that option and it would have created some great tension.
    sigpic
    Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

Originally posted by leiasky View Post
      There was SO much they could have done with Sam leading SG-1. She needs some flaws. She needs to make mistakes. They could have explored that option and it would have created some great tension.
      To me it would have made interesting viewing. SG1 relied heavily on the relationships between the characters and having Sam take command would have mixed it up a little. I think the relationship with Teal'c would have stayed pretty much the same, but with Daniel some sort of conflict would develop. Daniel has been kind of lucky to have a lot of freedom within the group and a lot of that batted off of Carter and they were very equal. If Carter was in command that relationship would be challenged every time she made a decision Jackson didn't agree with and it would be interesting to see how they progressed. O'Neill provided a very good buffer for Jackson and Carter; if Jackson didn't agree with a decision O'Neill would get it because he had final say while Carter could argue both sides and please both of them.

It would also would have been nice to see Carter finding a real balance between being in command and satisfying her scientific interest, get that balance wrong and people could be killed. it was a missed opportunity to explore Carter's strengths and weaknesses.

Then if we added to the mix Mitchell who is ambitious and aggressive in his approach and not a Colonel but a Major the development of a relationship with Carter would have been a lot more interesting. It would have made the Mitchell character a lot more interesting. As you say it would have created some great tension.

It is a shame that studio execs (and possibly TPTB) haven't yet realised that people are ready for a woman to be in charge of things, it had already happened in S8. It happened in Star Trek. It's happening everywhere in real life.
      "You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees & the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should... With all its sham,drudgery & broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world." - Baltimore, 1692

Comment

Yeah, my sense was the network or studio was out of touch enough to think they needed a male lead to replace RDA and that viewers wouldn't accept a female commander.

First--you can't just replace RDA by putting a new man in there and calling him "the lead."

Second--despite RDA's name being above the title, it had been more of an ensemble for years so it wasn't like AT, CJ & MS were just his sidekicks and needed a "leading man" to carry the show

Third--logically, Carter had been groomed for command for years by serving with O'Neill & SG1 and she had been in command of the team in S8, so her command should have continued

Fourth--there were many more stories to tell about Teal'c, Sam and Daniel and they could have been done while adding a 4th member of the team who was not a new "leader"

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
          Yeah, my sense was the network or studio was out of touch enough to think they needed a male lead to replace RDA and that viewers wouldn't accept a female commander.

First--you can't just replace RDA by putting a new man in there and calling him "the lead."

Second--despite RDA's name being above the title, it had been more of an ensemble for years so it wasn't like AT, CJ & MS were just his sidekicks and needed a "leading man" to carry the show

Third--logically, Carter had been groomed for command for years by serving with O'Neill & SG1 and she had been in command of the team in S8, so her command should have continued

Fourth--there were many more stories to tell about Teal'c, Sam and Daniel and they could have been done while adding a 4th member of the team who was not a new "leader"
          It would have been nice to come full circle (again) having Sam as the leader of the SG1 and breaking in the new edition to the team. Mitchell as a major and a newbie would have made more sense with the mistakes they had him make. I never considered SG1 under Jack and Sam (s8) as screw ups...that description came in S9
          sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

In terms of Carter's leadership, I felt she made a better fist of it in s6 & s7. For some reason, they didn't seem to write her the same way in s8. An element of self doubt creeped in that wasn't there before, both in her personal life and professional life.

Having said that, there was no reason to remove her from command. BB could have still been the 'lead' actor without actually being in charge. The hewo has to get told off every now and then, and be wrong occassionally. This is why Shep isn't in charge of Atlantis.

Not to mention they never handled her exit particularly well. She said she had her reasons for leaving. What were they? Boredom?

I had heard around that time that they'd floated the idea of Carter being a ship commander and the bridge between the two series. I was against that at the time, but in hindsight that probably would have been the best thing for her character and the show in general. Plus it would mean that SG1 didn't have so many 'main' characters to service - Mitchell, Carter, Teal'C, Jackson, Vala, Landry is a lot of screentime to allot, not to mention all the characters they have to interact with to further the ep (ship commanders for example).
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gateraid View Post
              In terms of Carter's leadership, I felt she made a better fist of it in s6 & s7. For some reason, they didn't seem to write her the same way in s8. An element of self doubt creeped in that wasn't there before, both in her personal life and professional life.

Having said that, there was no reason to remove her from command. BB could have still been the 'lead' actor without actually being in charge. The hewo has to get told off every now and then, and be wrong occassionally. This is why Shep isn't in charge of Atlantis.

Not to mention they never handled her exit particularly well. She said she had her reasons for leaving. What were they? Boredom?

I had heard around that time that they'd floated the idea of Carter being a ship commander and the bridge between the two series. I was against that at the time, but in hindsight that probably would have been the best thing for her character and the show in general. Plus it would mean that SG1 didn't have so many 'main' characters to service - Mitchell, Carter, Teal'C, Jackson, Vala, Landry is a lot of screentime to allot, not to mention all the characters they have to interact with to further the ep (ship commanders for example).
              You're right about s8 and put the 'blame' on this in RCC's hands, he took over as show runner in S8 and to me under his tutelage Sam's character suffered. They should have had SG1 (the 3 person team) going on missions and perhaps trying out new additions to the team. RDA said he wanted his role to be more like Hammond, but we got was SG1 stuck on base

*shakes head at the what could-have beens*

If they had taken Carter off SG1 and had her as a ship commander, I don't think I would have watched either show, I probably would have been able to drop the show easier, because I wouldn't have been able to stomache that new team
              sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Sam's reasons for being gone for the early part of season 9 was that she went to Area 51 because 'Cassie' needed her to work more normal hours.
                sigpic

Comment

Sam's reasons for being gone for the early part of season 9 was that she went to Area 51 because 'Cassie' needed her to work more normal hours.
                  what??? i'm sure at this point cassie was about 18/19 and would be away at college or something. i'm not convinced.
                  "You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees & the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should... With all its sham,drudgery & broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world." - Baltimore, 1692

Comment

Originally posted by gateraid View Post

Good points.
                    Originally posted by Allie_Kreek View Post
                    what??? i'm sure at this point cassie was about 18/19 and would be away at college or something. i'm not convinced.
                    yeah, I never bought that one either. I'm more inclined to believe your reason, gateraid.

An attack of delayed grief?--though janet was almost never mentioned again... I'm surprised they even remembered Cassandra or if they did were willing to mention her (that old baggage stuff you know)

I'm surprised they didn't write in a teen (alien) pregnancy for Cassie.

All I can say is thank goodness AT refused to let them write her pregnancy into the show. Can you imagine what they would have come up with?
                    And there's no guarantee it would have given AT any more screen time either. Teyla's "arc" anyone?

Comment

if they had done that i would have screamed so loud...! it probably would have been louder if carter was pregnant with an alien baby.

Comment

if they had done that i would have screamed so loud...! it probably would have been louder if carter was pregnant with an alien baby.
                        Even if it was...

Spoiler:
                        Thors

sorry couldn't help myself
                        sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
                          Even if it was...

Spoiler:
                          Thors

sorry couldn't help myself
                          actually now that you mention it... lol

Comment

You're right about s8 and put the 'blame' on this in RCC's hands, he took over as show runner in S8 and to me under his tutelage Sam's character suffered. They should have had SG1 (the 3 person team) going on missions and perhaps trying out new additions to the team. RDA said he wanted his role to be more like Hammond, but we got was SG1 stuck on base
                            It just seemed like in s8 Carter just sort of went with the flow in terms of leadership, whereas in the past (and even at times in s9/10) she was more authorative. They hardly went on any missions at all, and even then it was truly a 'team of equals' as they tried to espouse in s10.

Did you see the extra features in the SGA s4 dvd set? AT talks about her role on Atlantis, and how she was the 'Don" character. It's surprising that the Hammond character on SGA was closer to the original than O'Neills Hammond on SG1.

In hindsight, s8 would have been the time to bring in a new military character. Hindsight is a wonderful thing though

If they had taken Carter off SG1 and had her as a ship commander, I don't think I would have watched either show, I probably would have been able to drop the show easier, because I wouldn't have been able to stomache that new team
                            No doubt that's why they never went down that path

Good points.

yeah, I never bought that one either. I'm more inclined to believe your reason, gateraid.

An attack of delayed grief?--though janet was almost never mentioned again... I'm surprised they even remembered Cassandra or if they did were willing to mention her (that old baggage stuff you know)

All I can say is thank goodness AT refused to let them write her pregnancy into the show. Can you imagine what they would have come up with?
                            And there's no guarantee it would have given AT any more screen time either. Teyla's "arc" anyone?
                            Really? AT didn't want them to write it in? That makes sense in terms of the Carter character I guess. At the start of s10 I did wonder why they wrote CB's pregnancy in when they didn't do the same for AT.
                            sigpic

Comment

S8 is my least favorite of the "original team" seasons. IMO, it should have been called Stargate Command because the focus was no longer on the SG-1 team.

But the main reason I dislike this season is what they did to Sam. I knew that in the end the whole Pete/Sam/Jack thing was going to end up making her look bad. I just find it painful to watch her character change to self-doubt and uncertainty. It also seemed that Jack no longer trusted her. Seven years of building a character and RCC destroyed it in one season.
                              Odo's last wishes: cremate me, put me in my bucket, then shoot me through the wormhole.

Rogue

Comment

I'm not saying it was believable. But it is what's on screen canon as the reason for her taking the Area 51 job. They had to write Carter out of a few episodes because of AT's pregnancy, so this is how they chose to do it.

I'd have been perfectly happy to have her be pregnant on screen with Jack's baby . . .
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X