S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rogue View Post
    IMO, this team didn't have the chemistry the original team had so everything seemed forced. Not in just this ep, but through out the last 2 seasons.

Crux of it right there. They didn't have the chemistry. The delivery wasn't as good, it was too forced, and it just made it all uncomfortable to watch.
    sigpic
    Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

I've just finished rewatching Star Trek:TNG. How cool is "All good things..." when it's compared to "Unending". I mean on the one hand you've got all the characters back (including Tasha Yar, O'Brien and in a believable manner) Coop didn't even mention Jack! Imagine a Stargate finale with all the old characters (Jack, Hammond, Janet, Jacob), instead he killed one of the most beloved characters!
      I hope the 3rd movie (probably the last one) will have all these characters back, but after Jack's 'blink and you miss him' role I don't hold too much hope!
      Stargate tried for years to emulate Star Trek's success, but imho it failed miserable because of Robert Cooper. By his track record I give SG:universe 2 years tops and mark my words: I'll laugh my ass off when Sanctuary will wipe the floor with Coop's baby next year...

Comment

Originally posted by col aga View Post
        Exactly. The poker scene at the end of Uninvited is the perfect example. If I remember correctly only Sam and Teal'c were there from the original team, but everyone behaved like they all had known each other for years. We, as the audience, had to be shown what a great team they are now. Because really, when SG-1 meant Jack, Daniel, Sam, Teal'c and/or Jonas there was no poker games = no real team spending their downtime together, right?

And I'm probably the only one, but it really annoys me that they say the cabin belongs to Jack. Apart from the whole location issue, I always thought Jack was quite protective of his cabin and invited there only the closest friends (Daniel, Sam, Teal'c and Thor throughout the whole series, if the memory serves) so I find it utterly unbelievable that he allowed a bunch of strangers to stay there.

*end of the rant* sorry
        You know, I hadn't thought of that, but you're absolutely right. The whole idea never sat well with me, but this is the first time anyone pointed out why (as far as I can remember, that is).
        sigpic

In memory of Deejay.
        May we all be so well loved.

Comment

Happy New Year you wonderful people!

The cabin ep (whatever the name was) was yet another example of the AF person who checks for accuracy either not being there (or, according to popular myth ), being locked in a closet.

I agree, the friendliness of the general just wouldn't happen, if only because bonding with people you need to send to the front lines (perhaps to their deaths) is a bad thing.

This was also the ep that had that terrible 'Mitchell doesn't lead even though he's named the team lead' disaster. That was like shutting the barn door after all the animals have escaped (and the barn was burned down). Oy.

suse
          sigpic
          Mourning Sanctuary.
          Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Well, BW claims in JM's blog Q&A that Vala will NOT be in the 3rd movie. Sounds promising to me.
            Also that Jack will be in quite a bit. I'll believe it when I see it.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
              Well, BW claims in JM's blog Q&A that Vala will NOT be in the 3rd movie. Sounds promising to me.
              I feel a bit bad for those who liked the character, but I don't feel she added enough to worry much about. She *could* have, but the way she was handled... <<sigh>>

I suppose we won't get the same news about Mitchell.

suse
              sigpic
              Mourning Sanctuary.
              Thanks for the good times!

Comment

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EVERYONE!!!

Actually I wouldn't mind Vala, if we really have to see someone from seasons 9-10. But I sooo don't want to see Mitchell & Landry. Never. Ever. Again. And anyway, the movie was supposed to be Jack-centric, and now it's just "he'll be in quite a bit"? So what, another Mitchell story?! oy..
                There's a good chance this opinion is shared by Ashizuri
                sigpic
                awesome sig by Josiane

Comment

Originally posted by col aga View Post
                  HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EVERYONE!!!

Actually I wouldn't mind Vala, if we really have to see someone from seasons 9-10. But I sooo don't want to see Mitchell & Landry. Never. Ever. Again. And anyway, the movie was supposed to be Jack-centric, and now it's just "he'll be in quite a bit"? So what, another Mitchell story?! oy..
                  I hope not
                  sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

That is promising but if it still refers to S9-S10 as anything but an AU its still not going to be something I can watch. I just can't stomach the other destruction of the Stargate Universe that was wrought in those seasons.

In my reality SG-1 are still a bunch of professional heroes who are exploring the galaxy (just now they have to worry about other races who would take the goa’uld place [foothold aliens, aliens from grace..or someone new {and not immortal btw}]...and, of course because humans are just curious and there is so much to learn). The Asgard are still an advanced race that would not understand the low brow thinking that is required to give up and kill themselves. Baul is still an intimidating wildcard not the "Kenny" he became and the replicators are dead and the ascended still mostly mystery.

Sure the goa’uld counsel of system lords is broken and they no longer hold the utter dominance they once did but the goa'uld have survived wars before and a good 10 year run by a minor race nor all the jaffa traitors in the galaxy will be enough to end them premantly they have time on their side, after all. Maybe some have created jaffa out of other races who are more "compliant". Those new goa'uld players will have to step up....think of all the unexplored religions on earth...think of all the unexplored planets in the galaxy.

The writers of many scifi shows seem to fall into a trap where they think "well we have explored the galaxy, what’s left to do".... it’s like they have no understanding of just how freaking huge the galaxy is. Seriously, it’s big...like really really big (look out at the night sky and see a planet 1000 [or more] times the size of the earth...and close by galaxic exploration standards, and know that it only shows as a little pinpoint of light). The goa'uld could delude themselves into thinking they have conquered it all also. But there is no way they really could, areas would be missed or forgotten.

So much to do if you just had a little imagination but I doubt they do. Whats the movie supposed to be about, finding another ancient device to blow up another clone of another paint by the numbers enemy?
                    Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

^ Yep. I've barely watched Atlantis this season but they seem to have fallen into a similar trap with that one. This last episode struck me as an example of them not really wanting to write/produce the show they signed on for anymore... which seems to have been the attitude in s9-10. I'll watch the SGA finale for Sam, but will probably be disappointed.

I'm like you in many ways, AGateFan--the "real" SG1 ended with S8.

Comment

I'm so happy Vala will not be in the new movie. I would love for Mitchell to be out as well. It's only fair to have one Movie with the original SG-1. It's going to be great to have RDA in the Movie for more than 5 seconds. Season 9 and 10 was just beyond painful to me. I'm not even going to bother with Universe. I never watched Atlantis.

Comment

I'm sad for the Vala fans and D/V shippers that she will not be in the movie, but I personally am glad she won't be. I've always said she wouldn't be on the team if it were still up to Jack and that they'd be like oil and water.

If the next movie is focused on Jack, what could Vala's role possibly be? She doesn't even know him. I'm guessing something's going to happen to him and it would just be weird to see the rest of the team all angsty about it (even Cam at least knows him and he's not that emotional anyway) but how would they write her? It'd be strange no matter what they do. And I'm not sure she has a place on SG-1 anyway with the conclusion of the Ori arc.

I'm really hoping that the next movie goes back to the feel of the early seasons of stargate, and I'm cautiously optimistic now. The Atlantis movie can have the mega-space battles, and the SG-1 movie can have the character interactions and wrestle with the philosophical questions like they used to. I'm not against a little firepower here and there, but that's not why I like Stargate.

Comment

Originally posted by ses110 View Post
                            I'm so happy Vala will not be in the new movie. I would love for Mitchell to be out as well. It's only fair to have one Movie with the original SG-1. It's going to be great to have RDA in the Movie for more than 5 seconds. Season 9 and 10 was just beyond painful to me. I'm not even going to bother with Universe. I never watched Atlantis.
                            I agree with S9 and 10 being painful to watch. I watched a few but I really didn't like Mitchell. Mitchell made me feel awkward and I started feeling bad for the rest of the team that seemed to get shoved aside so the great and powerful Mitchell could save the day. Then in Continuum when he save the day again I was really peeved! It just felt like Carter, Jackson and Teal'c were being cheated out of something.

I also haven't really watched Atlantis and I'm already having doubts about Universe but I'll give it a go.
                            "You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees & the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should... With all its sham,drudgery & broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world." - Baltimore, 1692

Comment

Originally posted by ses110 View Post
                              Originally posted by Allie_Kreek View Post
                              I agree with S9 and 10 being painful to watch. I watched a few but I really didn't like Mitchell. Mitchell made me feel awkward and I started feeling bad for the rest of the team that seemed to get shoved aside so the great and powerful Mitchell could save the day. Then in Continuum when he save the day again I was really peeved! It just felt like Carter, Jackson and Teal'c were being cheated out of something.

I also haven't really watched Atlantis and I'm already having doubts about Universe but I'll give it a go.
                              Yea, S9 and 10 were painful for me, so much I've avoided watching any reruns of those seasons. It just didn't have the team feeling. It more of a forced feeling, and IMO it felt like Cam was forced on the team. At least with S6 and Jonas, they still had the team feeling, because Jonas wasn't automatically put on the team and accepted. They had growing pains with Jack accepting him; and it worked. With S9 and 10 it felt like the main character of the show was sacrificed...the team, in favour of the newbie character trying to be the show
                              sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by VSS View Post
                                I'm really hoping that the next movie goes back to the feel of the early seasons of stargate, and I'm cautiously optimistic now. The Atlantis movie can have the mega-space battles, and the SG-1 movie can have the character interactions and wrestle with the philosophical questions like they used to. I'm not against a little firepower here and there, but that's not why I like Stargate.
                                Amen! It will be nice to see a little more RDA. It is kind of sad Vala is going to be absent but if we get some more old skool SG1 interaction then I'm happy. Plus I'd really like to see Carter kick butt again. I was impressed with the writing of Carter's character in Continuum. She seemed to lose something in the later seasons of SG1 and then I watched her a couple of times in SGA but she still seemed off. I think having the old team back together for a little longer will give the writers the opportunity to kick start the team again.
                                "You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees & the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should... With all its sham,drudgery & broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world." - Baltimore, 1692

Comment

Working...
                                X